Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WAW v31

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> WAW v31 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WAW v31 - 3/17/2008 6:48:19 AM   
tweber

Just uploaded a new version after a couple of play tests. I thought v30 was a bit biased towards the Axis. Here are some of the key changes I made:

- Added Vancouver as City(2)
- Changed Manilla and Singapore to City(2) to boost up Japanese once they are in the war
- Reduced artillery effectiveness vs ships. Reduced range to 1.
- Artillery counter battery turn on (like in Great War scenario).
- Soviets gets 1 Siberian factory when they lose Kiev, Dne., Kharkov, Rostov, Sevastopol.
- Germans get additional readiness hit during first winter when at war with the Soviets. The Soviets get a land supply grant for their winter offensive.
- Boosted up later US production a bit
- Ships limited to 6 months of supply (except Cargo ships which can carry 24 months of supply)
Post #: 1
RE: WAW v31 - 3/18/2008 12:59:14 AM   
tweber

Found and fixed an error.  Pls now use v32

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 2
RE: WAW v31 - 3/18/2008 7:42:48 PM   
lomyrin

Is regular artillery also supposed to have a range of 1 now ?

Lars

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 3
RE: WAW v31 - 3/19/2008 2:44:52 AM   
montarakid

Went to the scenario bank, but the newest v. there is 27a. Where does one find .32?

"If brute force doesn't work, you aren't using enough brute force." - mTk

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 4
RE: WAW v31 - 3/19/2008 4:06:38 AM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: tweber

Found and fixed an error.  Pls now use v32

Tom,

Your zip for v32 leaves the waw graphics folder in the bin directory rather than in the graphics directory. If folks download it and haven't had one of the earlier versions, it won't load properly without moving the waw folder to the graphics directory.

Thanks,
Rick

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 5
RE: WAW v31 - 3/19/2008 4:13:55 AM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: montarakid

Went to the scenario bank, but the newest v. there is 27a. Where does one find .32?

Montara,

At the sceanrio bank, scroll down to the Waiting for approval area. V32 is there.

When you unzip it though, you will probably need to copy the WaW folder from the bin directory to the graphics directory. (if you have an older version of WaW loaded already you might be ok - I dont know if any images were added with the later version of WaW. I'd copy the one from v32 from bin to graphics though if it were me)

Rick

(in reply to montarakid)
Post #: 6
RE: WAW v31 - 3/19/2008 4:24:12 PM   
jjdenver

Tom - I've played the Great War scenario extensively and turning on counter-battery is a _huge_ change. I cannot emphasize enough what a big impact this has on any scenario and in my opinion is really a bad change to make.

When counterbattery is turned on what you end up with is artillery in every front line stack on the map as the game progresses. Instead of front lines you have small clumps of units stacked with artillery that carefully manuever against each other - there is no possibility of putting a unit out w/o artillery or it will just be destroyed by artillery fire as each side builds up its artillery. It makes everything very very funky and feels very strange.

Perhaps the existence of airpower to hit artillery can mitigate this but man counterbattery is very strange since it makes it almost impossible in great war to prep a position before assault unless you have overwhelming artillery superiority since if your opponent has any artillery in the hex your own artillery will just get completely pounded. Instead of manuevering forces you end up manuevering stacks of artillery (with some protective accompanying forces in the stack) around.

In my opinion the strength of counterbattery in this game is WAY overpowered compared to historical counterbattery fire in WW1 and WW2.

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 3/19/2008 4:57:15 PM >

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 7
RE: WAW v31 - 3/19/2008 4:35:22 PM   
BULLDOGINTHEUK

I've been playing the Great War scenario by PBM for about 2 months now and It's a great scenario. I agree that the counterbattery is very powerful but it it kinda keeps stopping breakthroughs and helps the slow shifting left and right of forces, appropriate to WWI but perhaps not WW2.

I have noticed in this scenario that some nations ships, like Italy can do shore bombardment, whilst other nations cannot.

Sorry, I am going off thread a bit here, sorry.

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 8
RE: WAW v31 - 3/20/2008 9:35:29 AM   
tweber

I realize that counter battery is a big change.  But, I thought it went well with the concept of limiting range to 1 hex.  Anyway, I am in a game now and will test.  It is easy to undo - just change the rule var.

(in reply to BULLDOGINTHEUK)
Post #: 9
RE: WAW v31 - 3/22/2008 8:20:40 AM   
von altair

USA Marshal HQ still sitting inland with 2 gargoships. Prevents moving and transfering them away.
Mayby this unit could be moved near sea? :)

"An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?"

"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"

-Axel Oxenstierna

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 10
RE: WAW v31 - 3/22/2008 3:16:39 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

quote:

ORIGINAL: tweber

I realize that counter battery is a big change.  But, I thought it went well with the concept of limiting range to 1 hex.  Anyway, I am in a game now and will test.  It is easy to undo - just change the rule var.

And so, Turkish (and so i presume other nations) naval forces can bombard until they reach Battleship III, Batelship III cannot bombard.

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 11
RE: WAW v31 - 4/10/2008 12:17:53 AM   
zook08

I've just finished a WaW scenario and there are a few issues IMO:

- Carrier battles are somewhat strange because Carrier Air is no use against planes, not even against other carrier planes. In other words, a carrier plane is a torpedo bomber (fine) but you can't have fighters on carriers to protect your fleet.

- Shore Bombardment values are too high IMO. A fleet can certainly cause a lot of grief to defenders, but this scenario has a scale of maybe 100km per hex, and fleets can wipe out whole divisions with ship artillery. That's weird.

(in reply to Delyn Locksmiths)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> WAW v31 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI