Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The game is on Hold

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: The game is on Hold Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The game is on Hold - 3/18/2008 7:08:13 PM   
cantona2

GH, have you sent me a turn today? my email had been playing up and im not sure that if you've sent a turn its got through. If you haven't sent one then no worries. Keeping frrt in both of those shoes is sound advice

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to Gen.Hoepner)
Post #: 1561
RE: The game is on Hold - 3/18/2008 7:15:16 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

Ciao Cantona..no, i haven't gone back home today. Will arrive at home later and send u the turn

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 1562
RE: The game is on Hold - 3/18/2008 7:27:27 PM   
mlees

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gen.Hoepner

However he didn't seem that interested anymore...but, as i told him...there are things more interesting out there...parties, girls, alchoolics etc......so if he's abbandoning me for those kinds of stuff, well he has my blessing

(not that you can't do both at the same time eh...i always try to keep my foot in both shoes)

(Bolding mine.)

So. Is that your secret? You play WiTP drunk?

Post #: 1563
RE: The game is on Hold - 3/18/2008 7:31:26 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

Well i have to admit that sometimes, when i get home after the "happy hour" daily session, i play turns not completely sober...every soldier needs a good sip before facing a battle, or not?

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 1564
RE: The game is on Hold - 3/18/2008 8:17:08 PM   
cantona2

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

quote:

However he didn't seem that interested anymore...but, as i told him...there are things more interesting out there...parties, girls, alchoolics etc......so if he's abbandoning me for those kinds of stuff, well he has my blessing

(not that you can't do both at the same time eh...i always try to keep my foot in both shoes)

(Bolding mine.)

So. Is that your secret? You play WiTP drunk?

i know i have done in the past

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 1565
RE: The game is on Hold - 3/19/2008 1:45:02 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

Troll sent me the turn this evening...he said he'll be back on the week end...so we'll have some time to analyze the general situation and study a new strategy.
The KB is out of Truk again Btw...probably hunting in the Marshalls...

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 1566
RE: The game is on Hold - 3/19/2008 1:56:22 AM   
TenChiMato

quote:

Troll sent me the turn this evening...he said he'll be back on the week end...so we'll have some time to analyze the general situation and study a new strategy.
The KB is out of Truk again Btw...probably hunting in the Marshalls...

looks like its a go in, go out while he ponder what to do with his fleet... . He wont go far strategically in the South and Center Pacific if all he do with the KB is this kind of sortie.

Post #: 1567
RE: The game is on Hold - 3/19/2008 2:01:15 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/20/42

Ok, a barges TF arrived at Ponape, delivering 200 supplies. A LCM hit a mine and immediately sunk.
Our B-17s, on naval search, managed to attack and damage 2 subs at Truk, which is slowly becoming less safe for his fleet. The I-170immediately sunk, while a RO class sub was only damaged.
The KB moved out, moving south east, hunting for my subs. Managed to damage an S-class which should manage to get back safely at Eniwetok (i hope).
What's strange is that what appears to be a TF composed by cruisers is moving westwards...difficult to say if my conrados did a good job in spotting the class of the ships.

More naval bombers on Karachi and in China he's encircling Chungking...while the Chinese army everywhere is shock attacking...trying to fast the annihilation of the units...

A DMS fast transport tomorrow will try to bring more marines to Ponape...let's see what we can do. The second regiment of the 2nd marines div has started to arrive at Ponape using the air brigde. 151 AVs present at Ponape at today...let's hope!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 1206 encounters mine field at Ponape (73,80)

Allied Ships
LCM LCM No. 131, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Karachi, at 21,3

Japanese Ships
CA Kako
CA Haguro
CA Atago
CA Takao

Allied ground losses:
4005 casualties reported
Guns lost 64

Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 20
Port hits 11
Port fuel hits 3
Port supply hits 8

Day Air attack on Chengtu , at 41,29

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 27
D3A2 Val x 117
B5N2 Kate x 66
Ki-30 Ann x 45
Ki-32 Mary x 79
Ki-49 Helen x 22
Ki-46-II Dinah x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A2 Val: 3 damaged
Ki-30 Ann: 3 damaged
Ki-32 Mary: 1 damaged
Ki-49 Helen: 2 damaged

Allied ground losses:
14 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Airbase hits 32
Airbase supply hits 15
Runway hits 237

Huge raid at Chengtu...quite useless i have to say
Day Air attack on Kwajalein , at 81,84

And then 2 training raids at Kwajalein...

Allied aircraft
OS2U-3 Kingfisher x 5
B-25C Mitchell x 56
B-26B Marauder x 33

Allied aircraft losses
B-25C Mitchell: 1 damaged
B-26B Marauder: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
12 casualties reported

Airbase hits 4
Runway hits 47

Day Air attack on Kwajalein , at 81,84

Allied aircraft
P-40B Tomahawk x 5
B-25C Mitchell x 2
B-26B Marauder x 8
B-24D Liberator x 11
F-4 Lightning x 3

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 3 damaged

Runway hits 1

Day Air attack on Rabaul , at 62,90

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6

Allied aircraft
Hudson I x 5

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 3 damaged

We did this little raid to see what he has on CAP here...a cutai of zeros...nothing serious

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1568
Game is on - 3/19/2008 2:02:36 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

China

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Gen.Hoepner -- 3/19/2008 2:16:29 AM >

Post #: 1569
RE: The game is on Hold - 3/19/2008 2:40:58 AM   
witpqs

quote:

Huge raid at Chengtu...quite useless i have to say

Training, I presume.

Post #: 1570
RE: The game is on Hold - 3/19/2008 2:58:50 AM   
treespider

Why bother moving the units from Ichang back to Chungking? Why not push forward into Hankow or elsewhere?

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1571
RE: The game goes on! - 3/19/2008 10:04:57 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

I had ordered to move from Ichang when i thought we still have hope to save Chungking from the encirlement...Now they'll simply march towards a certain death, but however now that it's done i cannot order to march back...trails and stuff, you know.

I've ordered my 3 operative CVs to get back at SF. I need to be able to get the wildcats upgrade (from 27 to 36) ASAP.
The Saratoga is now at 25 sys....she could also be operative if an emergency would rise...anyway i'm planning to get her safely under 10 sys cause i need at least 4 fully operative CVs in the pacific!
In the next month i'm going to recieve 3 brand new P-38F groups. These arrives will be absolutely important for the Ponape area. At the moment only 24 P-38s are operative and they're doing a good job at Eniwetok, but they're simply too few.
The 1st Marine Div is ready to be moved from PH towards the Marshalls. With her arrive we'll have at least 1 Div+1RCT in every major base in the Marshalls, plus 1 CD,1AA and 1 HQ...that should be enough to repulse any counter invasion.

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 1572
RE: The game goes on! - 3/19/2008 11:16:05 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

ThenChiMato, i don't know what is he doing with his KB. It's been more than a month now since the KB has sunk my 2 CVs and repulsed the first Ponape Invasion, but still he keeps on sending it in and out from Truk...like if he would want to kill my subs (a lot of Vals and Kates on Naval search i've seen)...that is a waste of fuel and a waste of sys imho...but however that could mean he's tryin to clean the way for his counter invasion coming from Truk...everything is possible at this stage.
Ponape is far from being safe. But the arrive of a fresh new Marine Rgt helps a lot to raise the morale of the defenders (funny thing is that they're all marines!, not a single U.S. Army private). The strip is slowly repairing (30 damage now) and soon we could be able to guest the first U.S. Marine Wildcats...Let's see...it's going to be interesting

Post #: 1573
RE: The game goes on! - 3/19/2008 11:52:02 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

At the moment only 24 P-38s are operative and they're doing a good job at Eniwetok, but they're simply too few.

There are three squadrons that start on the west coast that use chinese aircraft (the Lancer I believe). They upgrade to P-38Fs.

Jim

Post #: 1574
RE: The game goes on! - 3/19/2008 1:08:51 PM   
TenChiMato

Regarding your training raids against Kwajalein, you should alternate Airfield attacks with port attacks. His main support units for his forces there are the Kwajalein and 6th fleet BaseForces and they should be your main targets. Plus while destroying his CD guns you may also give him the feeling you have finally decided to finish Kwajalein and are preparing for an invasion. If he notice an increase in port attacks thats what he will surely think. This may force him to overfocus on this area while you are busy preparing the solomons or northern Australia for a follow-up strike later on.

Also, any possibility you may spare a B-17 group for night bombing attacks on Truk? True the results wont be that great but the psychological effects could be interesting.

Time is on your side, make him sweat

< Message edited by TenChiMato -- 3/19/2008 1:09:50 PM >

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 1575
RE: The game goes on! - 3/19/2008 1:57:04 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

quote:

At the moment only 24 P-38s are operative and they're doing a good job at Eniwetok, but they're simply too few.

There are three squadrons that start on the west coast that use chinese aircraft (the Lancer I believe). They upgrade to P-38Fs.

Jim

Hi Jim!
We're playing with PDU on, so the real problem isn't which unit upgrade to P-38Fs, but how many P-38s in have in Pool!
I produce barely 25 per month...and i've already expended something like 50 of them during the fightings against the KB at Eniwetok in the last 2 months. I had to downgrade one group back to P-40s and so now i have only one group equipped with 24 of them...so i need some off-map replacements and those units arriving, even if not at full strenght, are very very usefull under this pov!

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 1576
RE: The game goes on! - 3/19/2008 2:07:51 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: TenChiMato

Regarding your training raids against Kwajalein, you should alternate Airfield attacks with port attacks. His main support units for his forces there are the Kwajalein and 6th fleet BaseForces and they should be your main targets. Plus while destroying his CD guns you may also give him the feeling you have finally decided to finish Kwajalein and are preparing for an invasion. If he notice an increase in port attacks thats what he will surely think. This may force him to overfocus on this area while you are busy preparing the solomons or northern Australia for a follow-up strike later on.

Also, any possibility you may spare a B-17 group for night bombing attacks on Truk? True the results wont be that great but the psychological effects could be interesting.

Time is on your side, make him sweat

Ti-i-ii-ime is on my side, yes it is!:-)

Yes, that's a good suggestion about Kwejalein mate! Thx. I don't think Troll will be bothered much about Kwaj. anyway, but i can try. However my main concern is not to let, in case some supplies are left there, the AF at Kwajelien re-open...even for one day...a daiati of betties moved there could ruin easily my day!
Troll in one of his mails, last week, asked me with an ironical tone if he was supposed to counter-attack in the marshalls...so i bet he knows that we're waiting for him there and so he won't risk any more assets there...
Kwajalein is been isolated by now...for, what? 4 months? ...yes, almost....daily bombed...i'm quite sure the supplies are almost gone by now...hopefully by the end of the year we'll have some spare LCUs to use there for a general landing.

I have 6 (x12 planes) B-17s squadrons at Eniwetok. These are the only groups that are flying these beauties (replacements are too few to let some other units using them). These 6 units have the best bomber leaders i could find. They're all well above 75 exp and they are extremely valuable because, with a durability near 100, they can fly right in the middle of a zeros nest without risking a massacre! I cannot really convert them now...they are sub-hunters, ship-spotters and eventually heavy bombers...too important.
Plus Japan doesn't have any dedicated NF group by now (if i'm not wrong). Some Nicks are probably coming within the next months, but it won't be fair to use night bombers now. By the end of the year i'll convert some groups to night bombings...but not now.

(in reply to TenChiMato)
Post #: 1577
RE: The game goes on! - 3/19/2008 2:25:42 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

For what concerns the B-24s, i'm slowly building up a force of them at Majuro. The goal is to have 100 B-24s fully operative and at 70 exp by the end of July, with a decent pool of reserves.
Want to be able to get a shocking 4Es force by the beginning of fall 42, with high exp ratings, in order to be able to threaten Truk...but i'm also thinking at a surprise "blitz" over Rabaul which is lightly defended...as soon as the base forces which are assembling at Noumea will arrive at PM, it will be an interesting alternative

Post #: 1578
RE: The game goes on! - 3/19/2008 6:14:47 PM   
Fishbed

quote:

but it won't be fair to use night bombers now.

Hum, great news. Does war has to be fair?
Ho man I don't want to bash the Italian art of war, but are you serious about giving up certain solutions just because it's not fair?
"Not fair" doesn't mean automatically "gamey" Man at this rate, victory isn't fair either

Post #: 1579
RE: The game goes on! - 3/19/2008 6:15:16 PM   
mlees

Hmmm, I dunno. From your houserules:

quote:

5. no night mission except for night fighter and Patrol boat units. Any side could convert a normal bomber unit to night bomber unit. To do so, they first have to be announced, after this, they act as night units and cannot henceforce be given day missions and cannot be converted back.

I wouldn't be converting too many units to night units...

Although, I guess you could try some night PBY attacks...

Post #: 1580
RE: The game goes on! - 3/19/2008 6:23:56 PM   
Fishbed

Yep. Night attacks are triggered by allied submarines in the same hex from what we know (from what we saw in Pzb's game). If you have a big fat VP to spare, you may put a good bunch of Catalinas on night naval attack. With so many subs out there, you can expect to trigger several strikes, even though you can't expect a lot of kills (but well Catalinas carry torpedoes on such missions, right? Even if you hit only once, that will be a great hit).

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 1581
RE: The game goes on! - 3/19/2008 6:29:30 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

Fishbed, i understand what u mean, but, as a long term japanese player, i've faced too many times HORDES of 4Es killing huge numbers of planes on ground during night raids without any chance for Japan of doing anything about it...it's depressing and unfair. Night bombings are too accurate in this game. I feel they are fair only when some NF groups arrives on both sides.
Beside that Mlees is right. Our HR about night bombings is very clear. if converted to night bombers, those units cannot be used at day anymore...so maybe in the future, when i'll have some more bombers to spare...not now. it would be absolutely foolish!

PBY attacks are allowed...i'm already trying to do that. I'm just waiting my best Catalinas squadron arrives at 80 exp (now at 79)...

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 1582
RE: The game goes on! - 3/19/2008 6:30:56 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishbed

Yep. Night attacks are triggered by allied submarines in the same hex from what we know (from what we saw in Pzb's game). If you have a big fat VP to spare, you may put a good bunch of Catalinas on night naval attack. With so many subs out there, you can expect to trigger several strikes, even though you can't expect a lot of kills (but well Catalinas carry torpedoes on such missions, right? Even if you hit only once, that will be a great hit).

Yes, exactly, but from my exp you need to get at least at 80 exp in order to have a chance of delivering a fish into a major ship...Troll won't be happy about that

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 1583
RE: The game goes on! - 3/19/2008 7:16:16 PM   
witpqs

quote:

I've ordered my 3 operative CVs to get back at SF. I need to be able to get the wildcats upgrade (from 27 to 36) ASAP.

Squadrons will resize at Pearl Harbor too - any port with a theater level HQ present.

Post #: 1584
RE: The game goes on! - 3/19/2008 7:46:31 PM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

Night bombings are too accurate in this game.

I'm pretty sure this was changed in a patch. You're lucky to hit anything in a night raid now.

Jim

Post #: 1585
RE: The game is on Hold - 3/19/2008 8:06:59 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

Our HR about night bombings is very clear. if converted to night bombers, those units cannot be used at day anymore...

Why ever did you agree to that? It is completely unreasonable when viewed in historical framework. USAAF bomber units in the PTO regularly engaged in both daylight and night ops, especially in the late war.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 1586
RE: The game is on Hold - 3/19/2008 8:10:41 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdiehl

quote:

Our HR about night bombings is very clear. if converted to night bombers, those units cannot be used at day anymore...

Why ever did you agree to that? It is completely unreasonable when viewed in historical framework. USAAF bomber units in the PTO regularly engaged in both daylight and night ops, especially in the late war.

Unluckly i agreed on many strange HRs that at that time didn't seem so important (like "no action in north pacific untill the soviets enter into the war".-....).
Troll made a serie of HRs and i, willing to play, signed a "blank paper"

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 1587
RE: The game is on Hold - 3/19/2008 8:44:25 PM   
Fishbed

quote:

Fishbed, i understand what u mean, but, as a long term japanese player, i've faced too many times HORDES of 4Es killing huge numbers of planes on ground during night raids without any chance for Japan of doing anything about it...it's depressing and unfair. Night bombings are too accurate in this game. I feel they are fair only when some NF groups arrives on both sides.

Yes I know, but don't you dare forget PDU is on

Post #: 1588
RE: The game is on Hold - 3/20/2008 9:31:10 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishbed

quote:

Yes I know, but don't you dare forget PDU is on

Well,PDU doesn't let you swicth from daylight fighters to nightfighters.
So to say you cannot convert a zero daitai to nicks or to other night fighters.
You're simply stuck with the NF groups that arrives as reinforcement from summer 42 on...

However guys, turn sent.
I think we're at a turning point here. If i manage to hold Ponape we could change the balance in the pacific. If he takes it back he'll have time to take Chungking and reinforce with all those dreaded divisions the whole pacific, thus keeping me away from Truk and from its main bases for a long time.
Eventually he could even menace the USSR...but that would be a mistake imho...
4 CVs will anyway let me conduct some little landings in the pacific...i won't risk them as i did at Ponape no more...however it's good to know i still have some platforms at hand.

Just a consideration for Jim...
Jim, in my game vs. 125psi (Herbie so to say), where we're playing chs 157 (nik's normal mod) i'm facing a total annihilation of my hurricanes against his oscars...now i understand what you meant....this mod (Nik's experimental air mod for CHS 159/160) is absolutely better!! Defenetly more balanced!

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 1589
RE: The game is on Hold - 3/20/2008 10:45:41 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

Some more thoughts...

The operation "Babylon" (the sortie of the whole RN from Aden and its transfer to Oz) has been put apart.
The RN will keep on going with its seldom sorties from the Aden Channell, just to keep him honest in India, but the risks connected to that operation are really too much...for too few possible gains.

At the same time the sub mining operations at Karachi has prooved to be a complete failure. Not a single mine hits in more than 3 months of naval bombings conducted by the japanese navy....a disaster. Lost 4 subs during these useless operation for no gains.
Now i'll call back my 12 subs operating at Aden and will re-organize them.
The O-19 and O-20 (two minelayer ducth subs) will stay at Aden along with the Nautilus (..mmm..is that one the american sub-mine layer??) and with the coastal ducth subs (i still got 2 of them), while the rest of the sub fleet (the oceanic ducths and the american subs) will be, after few days of R&R at Aden, be sent back to Darwin where they'll join the Darwin submarine force.

Despite all my efforts the sub warfare, till now, it's been absolutely a failure. I've lost a huge number of subs (especially during the Manila bombing on the first day of war) for little or no gain.
Now the majority of my hunters are supporting the operations at Ponape, so there's really no chance of getting some success against his merchant shippings in the SRA.
As soon as the Ponape situation will be stabilized, in a way or in another, all my subs will be divided in 3 major groups, operating from Darwin, Addak island (Aleutinas) and Eniwetok...but i really think that, before the upgrades of october 42, their utility will be really despicable.

Post #: 1590
Page:   <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: The game is on Hold Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI