Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fixing the draft

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Fixing the draft Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fixing the draft - 3/16/2008 4:52:49 PM   
mking55

I know. I moaned about this before but here I go again.

I had my annual amateur draft yesterday and I ended up with the best 2 picks. The problem was I had the 20th and final pick in each round. The AI was taking players with potentials and rating less than 10. The better picks were mediocre picks but I'd venture to say that more than half were garbage.

It's not about money. Every team has oodles of cash to spend. The problem with this poor drafting is that it only makes it easier for me to win. I'm sure I don't win all the time due to my brilliance but because of issues like this.

Assuming that this won't be fixed, what do others do, if anything, to get around this? Will I have to go t commish mode for the draft and draft who I think is best for every team? What a pain but all these bad picks end up hurting my league.

Does anyone have any other suggestions than me playing God for the draft.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Post #: 1
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/17/2008 6:49:00 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

I regret to say that I am not experiencing this at all. Well, what I mean is... I've had the great fortune of enjoying good records going into the offseason with each of my teams. We don't win the World Series all the time of course, but at least we play hard and finish high. What this does is that I end up at, or near, the bottom of the list when it comes to the Amateur Draft the following year.

I have noticed that when the AI picks, they don't always pick high-potential players as I would think someone should do in an Amateur draft. On the contrary, they look for best overall stats. It's easy for me to find a 70+ or even 80+ POT player available by the time I come along at the bottom of the list, but that's only because those "Amateurs" chosen by the other teams (and I have a hard time calling them Amateurs with the stats they boast) are much more evolved and advanced. They like to choose "Amateurs" with overall ratings in the high 60s, high 70s and so on, demanding multi-million dollar salaries. These are Major-League Ready players we're talking about, just add water.

I, on the other hand, am usually pleased with my starting lineup so I look towards the future. I'm not looking at who's ready NOW, I'm looking at who will be ready in 2 years, or 3 or even 4. Who will fill in for my aging third baseman that's GREAT right now, but has no more than a year or two left in him? Sure, his CON is 26, his POW is 15 and his EYE is 22, but his POT is 82... give this kid 2 years in the right division and he's coming out another Pujols.

So when I say that the AI is picking "bad" players it's a matter of perception and need. For them, they're picking perfect players- the guys they feel will take them all the way to the Post Season next year. Me, I'm looking for long-term coverage. In the end, we each get what we want, even if to ME, their choices are illogical. To be fair, I can imagine their GM sitting in an office, looking at the young sprouts we're selecting and wondering what the hell we're smoking.

I think it's all a matter of perception.

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to mking55)
Post #: 2
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/17/2008 8:23:51 PM   
Nukester

Also dont forget that the "potential" rating doesnt neccessarily mean those players with develop into the best players out there, it just means that those players have the best chance to get "some" kind of ratings boost. You can have players with a 70 potential, but those players may still only get their ratings as high as, say, a 50. Also, the potential rating can change from year to year. One season a player may have a 70 potential rating, but the next season it could drop to a 60 rating.

< Message edited by Nukester -- 3/17/2008 8:25:11 PM >

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 3
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/18/2008 6:53:51 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

Nuke's correct.

A big factor is where you play them. They would need to be in the proper division (AAA, AA, A) for their age in order to get the most out of their potential. As mentioned above, a high potential is no guarantee that they will hit high numbers in their stats- only (as Nukester confirmed) that liklihood that these stats will increase. How much is based on their placement, age and that POTential rating.

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 4
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/18/2008 6:54:06 PM   
mking55

What I'm talking about is every rating of the drafted player being 10 or under. I'm talking about those scrub players the game will make up so there are enough players. These should not be 1st round draft picks.

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 5
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/18/2008 9:14:34 PM   
Nukester

How old are the players in question ? I can see this happening if the AI is taking 19 year olds with low current ratings, and you are taking 22 year olds with higher ratings.

If the AI is indeed taking the scrubs (whom should also have low potential.... like a 1 or 2 on a 1-10 scale), then yeah I could see this as a problem. Ive never really seen that in my league though.

Just for reference, what rating scale are you using ?

< Message edited by Nukester -- 3/18/2008 9:17:54 PM >

(in reply to mking55)
Post #: 6
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/18/2008 10:47:36 PM   
mking55

1 to 100.

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 7
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/18/2008 10:49:43 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

The players are 1 to 100 years old?!?!?!?!?

(in reply to mking55)
Post #: 8
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/19/2008 12:31:22 AM   
mking55

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frozen Stiffer

He asked for the rating scale, not the ages.

Post #: 9
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/19/2008 1:02:25 AM   
Nukester

quote:

ORIGINAL: mking55

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frozen Stiffer

He asked for the rating scale, not the ages.

Actually my first question was how old are they

(in reply to mking55)
Post #: 10
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/19/2008 2:25:14 AM   
mking55

Pick one:
18 years old 3b contact:5 power:5 eye:10 potential:23

Pick two:
20 years old RF contact: 5 power: 5 eye: 8 potential: 78

Pick three: A decent pitcher
19 years old stuff: 80 velocity:47 control:66 potential:69

Pick four: (A classic)
35 year old pitcher stuff: 10 velocity:9 control:7 potential: 18 (Hard to believe this guy didn't go first)

Picks 5 to 7 were average.

Pick 8:
22 years old C contact: 5 power: 5 eye:10 potential:6

Pick 9:
33 year old P stuff: 7 velocity: 6 control: 4 potential :3

Pick 24:
20 year old pitcher stuff: 81 velocity: 51 control: 88 potential:100 (A guy with the silly name of Tom Seaver and that was my pick).

I think you get the idea. There are more gems in there, believe me.

Now I was looking through old posts and I came across the last time I complained about this. Being the old guy that I am, I forgot what the reply was. Shaun said if I had "player affinity" on, then this is probably the problem. However, I can't see how you can turn it off once you start your association. I'd love to do that and redo the draft. Can you turn it off once the association has started? I'd cherish an answer.

(in reply to Nukester)
Post #: 11
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/19/2008 3:12:38 AM   
Nukester

Im pretty sure you can toggle off player affinity with this Crash Davis utility.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1520516

Just unzip the file somewhere and run it. You can toggle on/off a few different things

(in reply to mking55)
Post #: 12
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/19/2008 4:23:08 AM   
DonBraswell

mking55,
You are not alone. I see the same thing with all of my leagues I've started. i thought it may be due to early entry or team affiliation (spelling?). But even with these turned off I still see the AI drafting scrubs, lots of them.
don

(in reply to mking55)
Post #: 13
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/19/2008 5:38:11 AM   
mking55

I downloaded the Crash Davis utility and turned player affinity off. It made a major difference. I redid the draft and I had 3 questionable picks in the 1st round happen, but nothing as obscene as what I had with player affinity on. (Tom Seaver went 8th and I think he should have gone first but someone with the stupid name of Catfish Hunter went first.)

So for me, that seems to help greatly. It's too bad because I was quite fond of the "player affinity" feature but obviously it's not ready for prime time and needs some work.

As for why you aren't having the same sucess as I just did with player affinity off Mr. Braswell, it's a puzzlement. If it helped me, it should help you. I think the only difference in what we did is you started your association with it off while I started with it on and then changed it after running for a couple of years. Yes, I know. It makes no sense but crazier things have happened.

If you continue to have bad draft picks you will have to do what I was about to resort to which was flip to commisioner mode, do everyone's drafting, and then flip back to single player mode. That's a pain, but with the game making silly draft picks, it's not really fun.

(in reply to DonBraswell)
Post #: 14
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/19/2008 6:39:34 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

mking,

I'm thinking Nukester figured it out. These other teams were looking for players they were "supposed" to pick, and not finding them, they improvised- and well, did a poor job of it. If their intended, affinity-linked players would have been available, then they would have gone for them; regardless of ratings, age, potential, hair color or musical preference. Turning off the affinity gives the AI the "freedom" to select whoever THEY want, whoever THEY think is a good fit and whoever THEY feel could benefit the team today and tomorrow. Prior to this, they were stuck chosing from a limited pool of players- those who were eventually to end up on that team anyway.

Does that make sense?

(in reply to mking55)
Post #: 15
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/19/2008 8:02:18 AM   
Nukester

He figured that out on his own. I wasnt even thinking of team affinity I was thinking more along the lines of the guys he thought should have been picked first were the players that had better ratings, but only because they were older. I thought maybe the AI was picking 18-19 year olds and he was picking 22-23 year olds

Post #: 16
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/19/2008 4:58:39 PM   
CBeasley37

Hey Frozen,

It happens in my fictional league as well. I'm using Padresfan ABA template.
The cpu will make 4 or 5 good picks, and then a team will take a guy thats 35 with 10 con 15 power 5 pot on a scale of 1-100.
In the first round I saw that happen 5 times out of 24 teams.
Mabie you are on to something with the cpu looking to fill a certain position on the team.

Post #: 17
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/19/2008 7:53:50 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

Perhaps they're trying to fill their rosters and really don't NEED anyone? They're drafting packing material.

(in reply to CBeasley37)
Post #: 18
RE: Fixing the draft - 3/19/2008 8:20:39 PM   
Nukester

Thats true. Maybe they really dont need to fill positions, and they are just going for cheaper guys. What kind of contracts are the old, bad amateurs getting ?

< Message edited by Nukester -- 3/19/2008 8:21:18 PM >

Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Fixing the draft Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI