Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Real newbie here, quick question!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Real newbie here, quick question! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Real newbie here, quick question! - 3/14/2002 8:14:20 AM   
Adamo

Never played SS, but have read wonderful things about it. Should I start by downloading SS v5.0 here at the Matrix games website , should I order one of the mega campaigns or do I need to find an original copy of SS?

Please help, you guys are having so much fun while I'm still playing Sid Meier's Gettysburg!!

thanks guys

adamo
Post #: 1
- 3/14/2002 9:00:39 AM   
Mojo

Well Adamo I'm a noob and I downloaded the game just because I'm a cetified skeptic. I mean it couldn't be as good as everybody says if they are just giving it away for free right? How wrong I was.

I just ordered my first MC this week.

I'm warning you if you try it you'll get hooked. My boss suggested a 12 step program cause of my chronic absenteeism:D

I really don't have a problem.

If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 2
- 3/14/2002 9:24:31 AM   
Adamo

I'm sorry. I kept writing SS , when I meant to write SP---meaning Steel Panthers.

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 3
- 3/14/2002 9:28:20 AM   
Mojo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Adamo
[B]I'm sorry. I kept writing SS , when I meant to write SP---meaning Steel Panthers. [/B][/QUOTE]

Whew! After I posted my reply I scurried to find a game on the site with the intials "SS". I thought I'd pulled a really noob blunder.

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 4
- 3/14/2002 9:38:31 AM   
Supervisor

I'm glad you clarified on the SS, I was get very confused. Try the download version, that will wet your whistle and if you like it then invest in the MegaCampaigns either way you can't lose. Click here [URL=tp://ftp.edome.net/demot/strategia_ja_sotapelit/steel_panthers_waw_v6_1.zip]SPWAW 6.1[/URL] for everything you need to get to version 6.1 then I'll send more links to get you to version 7.1. It's 400mb in size so find a temporary hobby. My usual links don't appear to be working tonight to get up to version 7.1 But I'll keep trying.

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 5
- 3/14/2002 9:47:31 AM   
Bing

If yer meaning Fab's site, I can't raise him either. another junta huprising in Brazil?

They got an awful lot of coffee in Brazil ....

Bing

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 6
- 3/14/2002 10:29:30 AM   
LeibstandartePzD

Adamo,

I'm sure that when you take the time to download this game you will be quite pleased. With all the scenarios available not to mention the campaigns and the Mega-Campaigns you never run out of new areas to explore. This is the longest surviving game on my computer. I have been a loyal and avid SPWaW player since day one. You won't be disappointed.

Other things that make this a great game are the excellent people on these message boards and the excellent support from Matrix themselves. And in the long run most of what is available for SPWaW is free! You have nothing to lose.

Respectfully,
Jason E. Otto
Former member of the 8th US Cavalry and a grandson of a Leibstandarte tanker.

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 7
- 3/14/2002 11:33:30 AM   
Supervisor

Yeah I was refering to Fab's The Armor Site, it's been up and down for last 2 days. If worst comes to worse I'll post direct links to the FTP locations. Matrix server don't have those downloads avaialbe on them yet. I'll fire of an email to Fprado and make sure everything is ok.

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 8
- 3/14/2002 11:16:51 PM   
Bing

Thanks, GeeeMan. You're OK for a Panhandler, don't care what anyone says.

Seriously: Has anyone heard from Fabio the last few days? Is he OK, does anyone know??

Bing

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 9
armorsite - 3/14/2002 11:43:35 PM   
chief

[SIZE=3]Bing: I tried Fprados site and found it right where it belonged, (last nite). I believe it's still up...chief[/SIZE] :D :) :cool:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 10
- 3/15/2002 12:40:27 AM   
Bing

Chief - When did you try Fabio's website? We've all been trying about four days now and no go. Here's the URL that always worked in the past:

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/sp_waw.htm

and doesn't work now. Neither does [url]www.fprado.com[/url] - neither does adding "armorsite" to the foregoing. I tried Tankhead, Redleg and the two Italian sites, none of them have a link to Fabio's site.

If you have a URL that works, please share it with us, I for one am a bit concerned.

Bing

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 11
- 3/15/2002 12:44:11 AM   
Iñaki

Hi Bing, your link worked perfectly for me right now. It has taken me directly to Fabio´s armor site.

Lepoan hartu ´ta segi aurrera

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 12
armorsite - 3/15/2002 12:54:29 AM   
chief

bing.....sri it worked earlier, seems to be an on again off again situation....i'll keep trying and if i hit i'll inform you....chief:( :confused: :cool:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 13
url info - 3/15/2002 12:58:25 AM   
chief

Bing: I use http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/spwaw_downloads.htm
for armor site...slightly different than yours....

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 14
- 3/15/2002 1:21:07 AM   
Bing

Chief - Absolutely does not work for me - and I dare say others also. Tried fifteen times - no go. Tried enabling cookies rather than prompt - no go. Tried rebooting - no go. Tried changing some Java setings - no go.

Fabio does some odd things with his website from time to time, such as prohibiting the user from right-clicking on images - as if that would stop anyone from extracting an image.

So it wouldn't surprise me if Fab's had done something along these lines. As to why you get in and others don't - maybe you are Brazilian?

But if I wanted to bet money on it, I would bet it has something to do with security - a firewall that blocks some users trying to use it and doesn't block others. Pure guesswork here, I admit.

Somebody should write Fabio and ask him about this. Anyone?

Bing

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 15
- 3/15/2002 1:24:46 AM   
Bing

BTW, I do have 128 bit security enabled. So its not that.

Bing

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 16
- 3/15/2002 1:29:42 AM   
ubertechie

IT could be a problem with his DNS server its 64.26.0.23 and i cant seem to ping it consistantly - i when i do the times are really high - which is very unusual.

Not that that helps anyone - unless they where to configure there dns server to be the same - but then you run the risk of not being able to see other sites.

Cheers

Ubertechie

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 17
- 3/15/2002 1:37:09 AM   
Bing

So how do the rest of us mortals get thru to Fabs to tell him about this?

His site is just too darn good to be out of reach to so many potential users - I was in the habit of visiting once a day, as I'm sure were others.

Bing

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 18
- 3/15/2002 1:42:07 AM   
ubertechie

Bing
No real easy cure - if you cant email him - then post him a private message - next time he is on he wil read it

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 19
- 3/15/2002 1:54:40 AM   
Bing

I have two different e-mail addresses for Fabio - besides, I don't know enough about the issue to tell him what is going on.

Let's try this: Whoever CAN get thru to Fab's website, there is usualy a button that reads "Contact Us" or to that effect - send him an e-mail that way and see if he knows what is happening. That's a start.

Chief: If you can get thru, will you send him a message?

Bing

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 20
- 3/15/2002 2:53:54 AM   
Iñaki

Hi Bing. Connected and e mail sent. Hope it will help.

Lepoan hartu ´ta segi aurrera

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 21
- 3/15/2002 3:37:49 AM   
Bing

Inaki - Thanks, let's hpe Fabs can get the problem straightened out - I miss his website and am sure others do too.

Bing

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 22
- 3/15/2002 4:14:20 AM   
john g

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bing
[B]Inaki - Thanks, let's hpe Fabs can get the problem straightened out - I miss his website and am sure others do too.

Bing [/B][/QUOTE]

I would have a serious talk with you ISP. The Armorsite is one of the few sites that is always available to me. Even when Cox's homepage is down, if their dns here is working I can still connect to his site. I have never seen his site busy out, or be unavailable.

Perhaps you are on a stub connection that doesn't get good traffic flow into the internet, I have seen that sort of thing before, like the people that complain about fileplanet only giving them 5-10KBPS downloads, where I get about 110KBPS all the time, and that is only that slow because our cable service is too cheap to give us anymore bandwidth.

I tried connecting to the urls posted in this thread and in less than 2 seconds I had his site on my screen. His connection to the internet is at least as good as mine. Even Matrix's site rarely loads that fast (though they have more users online at any one time).
thanks, John.

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 23
- 3/15/2002 5:10:39 AM   
Bing

John - Don't know about stub connections. I have two connections to the Internet:

1) Cable "modem" service, currently running at 2336 Kbs connection speed. Everything, including some problem sites that normally are quirky are now loading very quickly and display all pages. Normal download speed varies between 100 and 250+, though some sites when busy will drop as low as 60. Everything works except the Armorsite.

2) Dialup modem connection, I happen to live within 1500' of the server and get a regular connect speed of 53.3 - that is the best dialup anyone gets in Gaylord, Michigan. Downloads vary, but are generally a little under 6 Kbs. All the same websites load, run and display all pages, same as above. All except Fabio's Armorsite.

If I were the only person having this problem with Fabio's site, I would look to my service providers. That isn't the case, as you can see from above, if you read the messages.

I don't think either of my service providers - who are not associated in any manner whatsoever - would have changed something, at the same time, same day. Because both of them stopped loading Fab's site on the same day - naturally I switched over to dialup to see if it there was something wrong with cable - there wasn't.

Seems to be an on again, off again situation for some - see above if you will. I don't think I need to talk to my service providers,not for one website.

If everyone else is satisfied, fine: I can live without Fab's website.

Bing

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 24
- 3/15/2002 6:54:21 AM   
chief

Bing:
Yeah Ive tried all day also and still have not gotten through. They are having problems in Brazil and it may have curtailed communications with the outside. Who Knows ? I did get his site less than 24 hours ago and checked on something but I didn't get it either today.

:( :cool: :confused:

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 25
- 3/15/2002 8:12:36 AM   
Bing

Thanks, Chief - I was beginning to think I really was alone in not raising Fabio's site. Could be a firewall situation, maybe?

When you say "problems in Brazil", what do you mean? They got an awful lot of coffee in Brazil, is that the problem?

Bing

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 26
- 3/15/2002 11:42:07 AM   
chief

Bing: If I'm not mistaken they are having money problems, devaluating the peso (?):( :confused:

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 27
- 3/15/2002 12:32:21 PM   
Bing

Chief - I understand e-mail has also been bouncing. Maybe they need to convert the servers to run on vodka instead of pesos??

BTW, which part of the Canoe Flotilla did you serve with? I was a ground pounder - Nike Ajax missiles.

Bing

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 28
- 3/16/2002 2:06:03 AM   
chief

Bing:
I was an aircrewman (electronics) in Neptunes, Mercators, Orions, Constellations and Blimps and a couple of other models with fans on the front. I know they were fans caused when they stopped we all started sweating. Fortunately or unfortunately no tail hooks grew from unmentionable parts of my anatomy. Stationed onn many islands in Pacific, Atlantic and Med.:D :) :cool:

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 29
- 3/16/2002 2:37:27 AM   
BamnBamn

I can't get to him and I've been trying for the 4 whole days I've been here.

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Real newbie here, quick question! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI