Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

It's almost done now

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> It's almost done now Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
It's almost done now - 3/15/2002 2:36:43 PM   
Joel Billings

Just wanted to let you know that our open bug list has less than 5 items and our fixes still to be verified list is short. It shouldn't be long before we can release a final candidate CD. I can't speak for the production time but I would guess Matrix will be able to start production within 1-2 weeks. Hang in there.

Joel
Post #: 1
- 3/15/2002 5:03:01 PM   
Mike C

I hope the Matrix folks don't get to upset with you giving out timelines. But from the screenshots, the game looks absolutely gorgeous. If the game play and engine are solid I will pick this one up just to stare at the maps!

Live by the sword, die with your boots on

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 2
Cool, awesome, shazam, magic! - 3/15/2002 7:14:42 PM   
Ron Saueracker

Sure...just in time for Ross M's winter season. Hmmm... Just kidding. Living in Canada, there will be enough cruddy days this summer to alleviate any guilt associated with sitting for hours in front om a monitor. Bring it on...can't wait to kick some playtester butt!:D

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

Post #: 3
- 3/15/2002 8:05:14 PM   
Elvis1965

:) :D :) :D :)

enough said?!?

Post #: 4
I Can't Wait - 3/16/2002 10:01:12 PM   
New York Jets

When can we expect to be allowed to submit pre-orders? I can't wait to get this one on my hard drive. I noticed the ad for this title said it was the first in a series. What, if known, are the other upcoming titles in this series?

"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of 'em."

- Casey Stengel -

Post #: 5
- 3/17/2002 1:00:01 AM   
Paul Vebber

We will not be doing pre-orders. When the game is ready to start shipping we will announce its availability and begin taking orders.

Post #: 6
- 3/17/2002 1:33:59 AM   
New York Jets

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul Vebber
[B]We will not be doing pre-orders. When the game is ready to start shipping we will announce its availability and begin taking orders. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you, Paul. Nothing on the upcoming themes of the other proposed games in the series? Thank you for your time.

- Casey Stengel -

Post #: 7
- 3/17/2002 2:13:15 AM   
Joel Billings

The next game is War in the Pacific. Afther that we may be doing a Med game.

Joel

Post #: 8
- 3/17/2002 7:29:05 AM   
Grouchy

Wooot!!

Waited years for this, think I can manage to wait another couple of weeks ;)

I also noticed you mentioned "pacwar" and a "medwar" game.
Another woot! for those :D
You seems to be working on a "WIR sequal" also. Don't know if want to give any comments about this one, but how does it fit in between those other games? -ie Will we see it before any of the above mentioned games?

Post #: 9
- 3/17/2002 7:42:56 AM   
Raverdave

Once the game is released, how long will it take to reach the Australian distributor????? Or will it be just as quick for me to order it direct from Matrix?

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post #: 10
pre order - 3/17/2002 10:17:23 PM   
corbulo

Chips and Bits let me preorder about a month ago. I hope "MEDWAR" means medieval warfare, but am afraid it means Mediterranean. I want to play the Japanese, and hope that there is a scenario wherein 1) Japanese codes were not broken
2) 4 carriers available due to non attack at Midway.
Reading Saburo Sakai's Samurai, I am impressed that Japanese zeros had no radios(that worked, that is), and could not fight at night. Zeros flew from Rabaul to guadalcanal and back - over 1000 miles

virtute omne regatur

Post #: 11
- 3/17/2002 10:38:47 PM   
Ramjet

I noticed that Chips and Bits are taking pre-orders and the price is 44.95. That seems awfully cheap considering the time that has gone into this game. Speaking for myself, I don't mind paying a premium price for a GOOD game. I paid 50.00 for PACWAR 10 years ago and have enjoyed every minute of it. I remember when East Front game out in the 80's: it was 80.00!

Post #: 12
- 3/18/2002 2:44:54 AM   
Maddog

This is great news. I'll let all the boys at Warfare HQ know the game is nearly complete.

http://www.warfarehq.com

Warfare HQ General Editor
http://www.warfarehq.com

Post #: 13
co-prosperity sphere - 3/22/2002 3:24:38 AM   
corbulo

I am eager to liberate the native peoples from their dutch, english, and americans. ALso, I want to set up an expanded greater east asian co-prosperity sphere. I am reading john Costellos "War in the Pacific". I did not realize how hated the British and Dutch were.

virtute omne regatur

Post #: 14
- 3/22/2002 3:32:46 AM   
Snigbert

[B]I am eager to liberate the native peoples from their dutch, english, and americans. ALso, I want to set up an expanded greater east asian co-prosperity sphere. [/B]

Amen. Don't forget about the perverse joy of watching American carriers burning and sinking in the wake of your devastating air strikes.

Post #: 15
Re: co-prosperity sphere - 3/22/2002 3:35:47 AM   
New York Jets

[QUOTE]Originally posted by corbulo
[B]I am eager to liberate the native peoples from their dutch, english, and americans. ALso, I want to set up an expanded greater east asian co-prosperity sphere. I am reading john Costellos "War in the Pacific". I did not realize how hated the British and Dutch were. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah. But I bet after a little time under Japanes occupation and their "tender mercies", they were probably glad to see the Western Allies return.

I will look forward to a little PBEM with you when the game is released. Its never too early to line up some game opponents, you know?

- Casey Stengel -

Post #: 16
- 3/22/2002 11:39:04 AM   
von Murrin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joel Billings
[B]The next game is War in the Pacific. Afther that we may be doing a Med game.

Joel [/B][/QUOTE]

Possibly a Med game? Good news that. Nice facelift on the site, BTW.

Nathanael

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

Post #: 17
Med Game - 3/22/2002 2:50:51 PM   
Ron Saueracker

Can you imagine the brutality of running convoys to Malta? Haven't done that since Gary's "BOMB ALLEY"! Yeah, OK, so I'm a big fan of his old Apple II E wargames.;)

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

Post #: 18
- 3/22/2002 5:38:28 PM   
David Heath

Bomb Alley was one of my most loved games on the apple. I saw it in the store and went and got a second job and picked up an Apple clone just to play Gary's games.

Post #: 19
Bomb Alley - 3/22/2002 8:20:05 PM   
Charles2222

Ron Saueracker/David Heath: Bomb Alley was maybe the only wargame that ever was available on the Apple or IBM which I really wanted and never attained. I was on Atari when Bomb Alley was out, and at that time very vague of any interest of wargames, though I did relish (at first anyway) some Russian Front game made especially for the Atari, which didn't pan out so well.

By the time I got an Apple Bomb Alley was out of publication and I never found a copy anywhere. And to think nobody has ever made a game relatively duplicating that! My first real wargame of interest other than that sham Atari one, was Knights of the Desert, and considering that I was thinking Bomb Alley would cover not only the campaign of Knights, but also of being able to have more strategic thinking like whether to attack Malta or leave it alone, I was really hot on it. That game is so graphically ancient though, and interface too I'm sure, I wouldn't be able to play it these days even if I could hope to rig my unit where it could emulate the Apple and get a copy.

I suppose the way I think nowadays the only way I could play any of those ancient games would be if I had played it before and enjoyed it, which USAAF certainly fits that bill. I don't think the grpahics are helped any either, by the fact that the graphics weren't designed for 19' monitors.

Post #: 20
- 3/22/2002 11:11:59 PM   
panda124c

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snigbert
[B][B]I am eager to liberate the native peoples from their dutch, english, and americans. ALso, I want to set up an expanded greater east asian co-prosperity sphere. [/B]

Amen. Don't forget about the perverse joy of watching American carriers burning and sinking in the wake of your devastating air strikes. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well... some folks forget the perverse pleasure of seeing the Japanese forces slowly dwindle, and the Americans get more and more. Patience is a virtue but not for the Japanese. :D

Post #: 21
- 3/23/2002 1:28:10 AM   
Snigbert

[B]Well... some folks forget the perverse pleasure of seeing the Japanese forces slowly dwindle, and the Americans get more and more. Patience is a virtue but not for the Japanese. [/B]

True when looking at the entire Pacific War, but I have played the Japanese in UV campaigns where I managed to inflict enough damage early on to keep the odds even long into the game.

Post #: 22
- 3/23/2002 4:15:45 PM   
Mike C

I am not very familiar with the grand strategy of the Pac War. With hindsight being 20/20 are there enough options for the Japaneese to win UV realistically speaking?

Live by the sword, die with your boots on

Post #: 23
Med Game - 3/23/2002 10:19:11 PM   
victor semensi

Please please please do a remake of Bomb Alley. I've been waiting almost 20 years for someone to revisit that theater. I couldn't get SSI's Great Naval Battles game to work. Luckily I've been able to get a copy of Bomb Alley and an Apple IIe emulator on the net to play it on my current system. I'd rather see the new Med game released before another Pacific theater one.

Post #: 24
- 3/24/2002 2:00:27 AM   
panda124c

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snigbert
[B][B]Well... some folks forget the perverse pleasure of seeing the Japanese forces slowly dwindle, and the Americans get more and more. Patience is a virtue but not for the Japanese. [/B]

True when looking at the entire Pacific War, but I have played the Japanese in UV campaigns where I managed to inflict enough damage early on to keep the odds even long into the game. [/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly the Japanese can't afford to waste time or units like the Americans. They have to hit the American's fast and hard or else all is lost. And not just for the entire war but in every campain they engaged in. In the the SW Pacific the Japanese tried to hit the Americans hard but the American's mearly rolled with the punches because they knew that they would be bigger later. The American ship repair ability compared to the Japanese ability alone can make the difference.

Post #: 25
another vote for Med game! - 3/24/2002 11:10:57 AM   
bradfordkay

Here's another gamer jonesing for a UV type game on the Med! It's the perfect scale theater for such a project, and the fighting there makes for some great challenges.

SSG had included some Mediterannean scenarios in one of the expansions to Carriers At War, and I've been waiting a looong time for a quality product on carrier warfare (what UV seems to be, from what I've picked up reading the AARs on this board). I wholeheartedly agree that the Med should follow WITP. Here's hoping that UV sales will be enough to justify the project. I know that I'll do my part (buying UV!!!!).....

Post #: 26
- 3/25/2002 8:37:58 PM   
Snigbert

[B]The American ship repair ability compared to the Japanese ability alone can make the difference.[/B]

True...it can be disheartening to send a carrier back to Japan for repairs and see that it wont be back in service for almost a year. Of course, if it's limping back to Japan at 7 knots, that doesn't help. Hope they're watching for American subs on the way, too.

Post #: 27
Battle Damage - 3/25/2002 9:57:06 PM   
Jason629

Once a ship takes significant damage, does it automatically get sent back to Japan or do you have to select that option? Additionally, do you get an immeadiate ETA on return or does that come at a later date? Thanks!

Post #: 28
Re: Battle Damage - 3/25/2002 10:14:32 PM   
panda124c

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason629
[B]Once a ship takes significant damage, does it automatically get sent back to Japan or do you have to select that option? Additionally, do you get an immeadiate ETA on return or does that come at a later date? Thanks! [/B][/QUOTE]

Another question is as the opposing player do you get any inteligence reports of ships being returned home for repairs?

Post #: 29
- 3/26/2002 12:36:18 AM   
Joel Billings

You have to send a ship back to Japan/Pearl Harbor yourself. You get an immediate days till available message, but that does not mean you will get the ship when it is fixed. Once repaired it goes in the general pool and must be committed like all other ships in the navy.

No info on enemy sent home. Currently, with fog of war on, when an enemy ship is sunk, there is a chance you will be told at that moment based on 10% x Current Detection Level (number from 1-9). A delay is set between 0 and 60 days before the ship shows up on the sunk ships list so you may not know for a little while that you sunk a ship.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> It's almost done now Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI