Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/15/2008 10:58:01 AM   
moopere

Hi Folks,

I just had an idea thats possibly popped up before - whats the chances of getting a hotseat game going with remote players by using Windows XP's "Remote Desktop Connection" thingy? Seems like it would work to me, or would it more likely just be a muddle of confusion because of all the logging in and logging out that would be required by the remote players (as you can't have 7 people RDC'd in at the same time of course)?

Regards, Moopere
Post #: 1
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/15/2008 10:07:08 PM   
DCWhitworth

Best way to do this would be to run a Windows Terminal Server setup and have people log in using a VPN. You could coordinate using chat and with care people could load and save the game file to a single location to take their turn.

Setup would be a bit beyond the average home user though.

Regards
David

(in reply to moopere)
Post #: 2
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/16/2008 10:37:41 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: DCWhitworth

Setup would be a bit beyond the average home user though.

Perhaps.

Does anybody know if Microsoft Home Server (2003) can be set up as a terminal server?

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to DCWhitworth)
Post #: 3
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/16/2008 11:27:00 PM   
timewalker03

Or just set the game up for TCP/IP play!

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 4
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/17/2008 1:48:20 AM   
Ralegh

I think the easiest approach would be to play a hotseat game, using RemoteDesktop.
To do this, you would:
* nominate one machine as the one the game is being played within, and setup for all players to be able RDP into that machine
* have all players enter a chat channel (using their base machine)
* when it is your turn, you RDP into the game machine, and play your turn. You can access the chat channel to talk to people. When finished CLOSE THE RDP SESSION, and notify the next player via chat
* the next player then opens the RDP session, and has their turn (etc)

I would even use a VPC machine as the game machine, so it wouldn't change between sessions (and wouldn't expose personal info etc etc).

Would people like detailed instructions to do this?

(in reply to timewalker03)
Post #: 5
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/17/2008 9:00:55 AM   
timewalker03

If you could get 7 people to hotseat a game, then 7 people could use TCP/IP to play. It would be easier and would not allow for the chance to give access to personal info.

(in reply to Ralegh)
Post #: 6
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/17/2008 1:32:05 PM   
DCWhitworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: timewalker03

If you could get 7 people to hotseat a game, then 7 people could use TCP/IP to play. It would be easier and would not allow for the chance to give access to personal info.

Aside from the minor issue that the game is not capable of supporting TCP/IP play and I think the majority view is that there are more pressing issues the programmers should be addressing right now.

Regards
David

(in reply to timewalker03)
Post #: 7
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/17/2008 4:27:47 PM   
eske

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ralegh

I think the easiest approach would be to play a hotseat game, using RemoteDesktop.
To do this, you would:
* nominate one machine as the one the game is being played within, and setup for all players to be able RDP into that machine
* when it is your turn, you RDP into the game machine, and play your turn. You can access the chat channel to talk to people. When finished CLOSE THE RDP SESSION, and notify the next player via chat

I would even use a VPC machine as the game machine, so it wouldn't change between sessions (and wouldn't expose personal info etc etc).

This sounds very interesting, but I'm not very familliar with this stuff. Very interested in more info
/eske

Alea iacta est

(in reply to Ralegh)
Post #: 8
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/17/2008 6:29:12 PM   
moopere

Hmm, interesting. Yes, I think you are right, VPC would be a good choice, I didn't consider this.

Thanks to all who responded. I think the answer could be 'yes'. Anyone think there would be any licensing issues here? God forbid I even bring this up, I want all interested folks to go buy a copy of the game...now...today, so I ask this question quite seriously. If hotseating is okay license wise I'd assume something as suggested here would be equally ok as its just 'remote' hotseating right?

Anyone got an informed opinion on this?

Cheers,
Moopere.

(in reply to Ralegh)
Post #: 9
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/17/2008 9:25:46 PM   
Jimmer

Regarding hotseating being OK license-wise, Matrix would have to make that determination. Remote Desktop (and VPC or VMWare, etc.) opened up a can of worms in the licensing arena. As a developer, I think users should each have a copy of the game on their own system, and the server also would need a copy. However, it might be legal (if unethical) to purchase just one copy and install on the server. Unless the license agreement specifically stated something about remoting into a "server", it wouldn't be covered.

Bottom line: Either 7 or 8 licenses are required for ethical playing, but it's possible only one is needed legally. Now, if Matrix reads this, I recommend that they change the license agreement (if not already there) to cover this possibility clearly. They are certainly within their rights to change the license agreement in order to get a patch (i.e. change it within the patch).

That said, I personally wouldn't do it unless I either bought an extra license for the "server" or else Matrix openly stated that this was OK.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to moopere)
Post #: 10
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/18/2008 3:51:36 AM   
Ralegh

Using Remote Desktop, I think only one license is required - it is accessed by one person at a time, and only installed on one machine.

If you tried some sort of Terminal Server approach, you would need a copy for each person.

But please note that most people who would be useful in a game would have their own copy at home anyway!

I'll set something up to test this on the weekend.

HTH
Steve/Ralegh

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 11
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/18/2008 5:08:11 AM   
NeverMan

quote:

To do this, you would:

This doesn't sound any faster than PBEM where each person is checking their email and playing at the same time. In fact, this sounds slower.

(in reply to Ralegh)
Post #: 12
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/18/2008 7:56:39 AM   
Ralegh

Hmmm. You are right.

HTH
Steve/Ralegh

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 13
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/20/2008 6:15:17 AM   
moopere

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan
This doesn't sound any faster than PBEM where each person is checking their email and playing at the same time. In fact, this sounds slower.

I'm not that worried about speed, its complexity and fooling about that I'm trying to look at here.

Most folks can easily be stepped through a login sequence and RDP connections can be automated to just an icon on a desktop. Once logged in the game will essentially play like the copy that they have a home which they practise on against AI. Maybe the 'doing' will turn the concept on its head and show obvious flaws, right now, not having 'done it' yet I'm interested and might pursue this I think.

Regards, Moopere

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 14
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/21/2008 1:22:10 AM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

quote:

To do this, you would:

how could this possibly be slower than:
1) check email until notified you are up next
2) download all the phases between current phase and the ones you haven't downloaded
2a) unzip all the files, if necessary
3) play the phases you have downloaded
4) play your own phase
5) exit the game or alt tab to the commout folder
5a) zip your just finished phase, if necessary
6) send your phase out to a website or thru email

7) oh, and by the way....someone screwed up a phase and the host has to send out backup saves to everyone...repeat 1 thru 6...

i don't know about some, but this is a painfully slow process for me and definitely takes away from the enjoyment of the experience...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 15
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/21/2008 4:33:22 AM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

quote:

quote:

To do this, you would:

how could this possibly be slower than:
1) check email until notified you are up next
2) download all the phases between current phase and the ones you haven't downloaded
2a) unzip all the files, if necessary
3) play the phases you have downloaded
4) play your own phase
5) exit the game or alt tab to the commout folder
5a) zip your just finished phase, if necessary
6) send your phase out to a website or thru email

7) oh, and by the way....someone screwed up a phase and the host has to send out backup saves to everyone...repeat 1 thru 6...

i don't know about some, but this is a painfully slow process for me and definitely takes away from the enjoyment of the experience...

Well, there is email sending time to think about, yes. For RD there is plenty of lag (even you have ever used then you know) and then there is logging in and out, etc... etc..

It just sounds like a pain to me. But, if it doesn't require Matrix to do any more work than I am sure someone will do it.

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 16
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/26/2008 12:10:09 AM   
adrianthomson

Personally, I like the idea of a single terminal hotseat game. It has all the advantages of both the board game( the social factor, the face to face strategizing and diplomacy) as well as the benefits of the computer version (speed of play, calculations and dice rolls, the fact that you don't tie up a room in your house for months etc.) Besides, there's usually a fair amount of drinking involved with a single terminal game.....

Cheers.

Adrian

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 17
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/26/2008 10:19:33 AM   
moopere

quote:

ORIGINAL: adrianthomson

Personally, I like the idea of a single terminal hotseat game. It has all the advantages of both the board game( the social factor, the face to face strategizing and diplomacy) as well as the benefits of the computer version (speed of play, calculations and dice rolls, the fact that you don't tie up a room in your house for months etc.) Besides, there's usually a fair amount of drinking involved with a single terminal game.....

Cheers.

Adrian

Oh sure, me too. But a lot of Napoleonic gamers are quite distributed these days it seems. We're out there, and in fair numbers, but we're spread out. Not always possible to gather at someones home or a club.

No reason really why you couldn't combine true hot-seating with 2-3 buddies and still allow remote desktop by 2-3 other buddies somewhere else (different country, region, city, whatever).

Cheers, Moopere

(in reply to adrianthomson)
Post #: 18
RE: Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection - 3/26/2008 11:28:30 AM   
DCWhitworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: adrianthomson

Cheers.

Adrian

Actually what would be a neat idea for something like this would be to have a multimedia projector attached to the PC to project the game map onto the wall. The one thing really missing from the PC version played hot seat is the ability to pore over the map with your allies (especially while someone else is taking their turn).

Regards
David

(in reply to adrianthomson)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Hotseating by Remote Desktop Connection Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI