Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Maximum-Football Support >> 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/26/2008 2:56:13 PM   
Frank Brickowski

Auto Fill still seems to be broken. I played around the certain players ratings that shouldn't be number 1 in the depth chart at their respected position. Nothing seemed to work.
Post #: 1
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/26/2008 4:14:33 PM   
Bobolini

Oh, I hope not. This is a big one for me.

(in reply to Frank Brickowski)
Post #: 2
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/26/2008 4:19:22 PM   
Hubbard

I saw the same thing. Based on my profile for RB (speed and agility) the highest in those skill ratings should have been #1 on the depth chart but he was last.

Post #: 3
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/26/2008 6:30:35 PM   
elmerlee

Where is "Auto Fill" found ? I just cannot seem to locate a button or tab anywhere.

Can you do this after a league has started ?

Can you use "Auto Fill" on a quick game ?

Has anyone found it working correctly ?
Darn shame if it does not since some great things were done in the 2.2 patch.

Post #: 4
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/26/2008 7:44:08 PM   
David Winter

Hmmm... this was working okay before. I'm not sure what happened but I'll have to take a look.

Elmerlee; the autofill button is on your teams depth chart view. The team must be human controlled for the buttons to be visible an active. You can edit it at any time as long as the team is human controlled.

(in reply to elmerlee)
Post #: 5
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/26/2008 8:37:04 PM   
David Winter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubbard

I saw the same thing. Based on my profile for RB (speed and agility) the highest in those skill ratings should have been #1 on the depth chart but he was last.

Hi.

A question for you. This might help me understand what people are expecting.

What do you think should happen if you have, for example, 3 running backs in your profile and each has different skills called out?

RB (SPD & AGL)
RB (STR & AGL)
RB (HND & SPD)

Which one takes priority over the others in the sorting? Which is "the best?"

Currently I try to determine "who's best" by doing the following; when I auto generate a depth chart I sort all players first by position (so the relevant position players are at the top of the list), then I sort by combined skills. What this means is that if you have an RB that is HND60 and SPD60 (=120) he's going to be ranked higher than the RB with SPD60 and AGL50 (=110). So even though he was drafted first, his combined skills make him second best.

Quarterbacks or Receivers might be a better example position to use because there is more than one slot per position in the depth chart. Specifically for the running back slots, the auto fill assigns one player per slot (it only assigns 1 full back, 1 half back, and 1 3back). So "the best" running back may not be assigned to the half back slot because he's already in the full back slot.

If you can let me know how you're expecting this to work there might be something I can do.

thanks
David

< Message edited by David Winter -- 3/26/2008 8:41:29 PM >

(in reply to Hubbard)
Post #: 6
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/26/2008 9:45:17 PM   
Marauders

I believe what is being asked for is that each position have its own criteria with weighted statistics.

For example:

RB = SPDx2 + AGLx2 + STRx2 + INT + END + DIS + BLK + CAT + HND

WR = SPDx2 + AGLx2 + CATX2 + STR + INT + END + DIS + BLK + HND

QB = PSSx2 + PSAx2 + INTx2 + PPR + SPD + AGL + STR + END + DIS + HND

DB = SPDx2 + COVx2 + AGLx2 + STR + INT + END + DIS + CAT + HND

I am not sure how each attribute works for each position, but this is a good indication of what could be done.

(in reply to David Winter)
Post #: 7
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/26/2008 10:43:53 PM   
David Winter

Well I can do that if that's what people want but those would be hard coded so all your running backs would be evaluated on the same criteria regardless of what was set in the profile. I think you end up defeating part of the reason for the team profile.

I could also weight it against draft order, that way the first RB on your team profile is what the profile considers "the best" regardless of his skills. However not all players on a roster were drafted so you end up testing against skills anyway and you can still get situations where the skills test bumps a player up to be on top of the highest ranked profile player... I don't know if I'm explaining that very well...

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 8
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/26/2008 10:49:45 PM   
Marauders

quote:

I could also weight it against draft order, that way the first RB on your team profile is what the profile considers "the best" regardless of his skills.

I wasn't sure if that could be done.  That may work out well.

Post #: 9
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/26/2008 10:52:02 PM   
David Winter

It can be done.. heck it's easier than what I'm doing now (Maybe I've over complicated this whole process  ).. but like I said, not every player on a roster is drafted by that team so what happens to those guys? Are they automatically at the bottom of the list? At the top? Are they sorted against skills (if so we're in the same place we find ourselves now).

I wonder if the two can be combined for something like;

RB = (SPDx2 + AGLx2 + STRx2 + INT + END + DIS + BLK + CAT + HND) + DraftPosition

WR = (SPDx2 + AGLx2 + CATX2 + STR + INT + END + DIS + BLK + HND) + DraftPosition

QB = (PSSx2 + PSAx2 + INTx2 + PPR + SPD + AGL + STR + END + DIS + HND) + DraftPosition

DB = (SPDx2 + COVx2 + AGLx2 + STR + INT + END + DIS + CAT + HND) + DraftPosition

Again, these would be hard coded forumula so you would slightly defeat the purpose of the skill choices on the team profile, but the draft position would be taken into account.

Let me know if this works for everyone.

thanks
David

< Message edited by David Winter -- 3/26/2008 11:07:42 PM >

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 10
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/26/2008 11:47:26 PM   
therhino

That sounds fine to me.
therhino

Post #: 11
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 12:45:30 AM   
Shaggyra

Works for me.

Post #: 12
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 1:26:53 AM   
Frank Brickowski

I was expecting for say the QB position would have its own 'formula' if you will to rank the qbs 1. 2. 3. Pass Strength, Intelligence, Pass accuracy not in any specific order. So the qb who has the best average out of those three rating would be the number one guy. It's too bad we can't set our own. For example. Some may want to add speed and agility to the formula etc.

(in reply to Shaggyra)
Post #: 13
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 1:44:51 AM   
David Winter

Frank.

That's pretty much what I have now, except that it's two values, not three. It's taking the position choices from the team profile and sorting them based on that information. The problem is that the chosen values for the first QB found in the team profile may not result in the highest ranked QB in teh depth chart (see my post a bit further up).

thanks
David

Post #: 14
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 1:48:16 AM   
Scott_WAR

I expect the game to follow the profile. My profile has the QB listed first, with PA and INT as the two stats prioritized. The way it SHOULD work, is the QB with the highest PA and INT, should be the starter. If I chose PA and PS, then the QB with the highest PA and PS should be starting. If the stats average is equal, then the QB with the higher rating in the FIRST listed stat should start.

Post #: 15
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 2:14:41 AM   
elmerlee

David - Thanks much for your attention to this important item and congrats to a great patch. The added stats are much more than I anticipated. Just the ticket.

Personally I feel that Frank is on the right track but more important to me is how is this all determined for the CPU controlled teams.

After all, we really can set our own depth charts on our team after the roster is established. But when and with what skills in mind does the CPU controlled team set their depth chart?

Thanks again for your efforts.

Post #: 16
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 2:37:58 AM   
Hubbard

David,

My expectation was as elmerlee stated above. I would expect the autofill to reference the two attributes for the first draft slot for that particular position in the profile.

(in reply to elmerlee)
Post #: 17
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 3:40:10 AM   
David Winter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubbard

David,

My expectation was as elmerlee stated above. I would expect the autofill to reference the two attributes for the first draft slot for that particular position in the profile.

Well, I can do that but one question. For example you have 3 RB's on your team profile.

RB1 (SPD & AGL)
RB2 (STR & AGL)
RB3 (HND & SPD)

Are you saying that the skill selections for RB2 and 3 are ignored? Does draft position play a roll in the equation at all?

Currently my understanding of the use case is this;

1. Sort the roster so all relavent players given a specific position are on the top of the list.

2. Find the first team profile item that matches that position.

3. Obtain the two skill choices for that profile item.

4. Sort players of that position based on the average of the combined skills. <- does this sort also add the draft position?

5. Place those players on the depth chart in that order.

What that means is that if your first profile item for Receivers is SPD and HND then ALL receivers will be sorted based on SPD and HND regardless of the skills selected for the other receiver positions in the team profile.

Is that correct? If that is correct then it's certainly doable.

thanks
David

(in reply to Hubbard)
Post #: 18
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 3:59:49 AM   
garysorrell

Which RB would be the FB.....I would normally have different ratings choices for how I see FBs used.

Post #: 19
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 4:01:17 AM   
Marauders

quote:

I expect the game to follow the profile. My profile has the QB listed first, with PA and INT as the two stats prioritized. The way it SHOULD work, is the QB with the highest PA and INT, should be the starter.

quote:

What if a coach is drafting for need?  He has a strong arm QB that he likes but wants to draft one that can run well.  Then he has to go back and change everything to have the autofill work to his liking?  It's just as easy to set the depth chart manually.

Do we want to go into all of the computer team profiles and change them around to set up their depth chart autofill?  I am not saying this is incorrect, but it does make things a bit more difficult to do for large leagues with CPU controlled teams.

I would like to see it weighted, but the how and what are the question.

Post #: 20
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 4:02:02 AM   
David Winter

I'd have to check to confirm, but right now I believe I have it loading as RB1=Full Back, RB2=Half Back, RB3=3Back.

It's not terribly difficult to change that, but again, it's hard coded.

(in reply to garysorrell)
Post #: 21
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 4:03:28 AM   
Marauders

quote:

Which RB would be the FB.....I would normally have different ratings choices for how I see FBs used.

Yes, a FB needs to block more than a HB.

Then again, a poor blocking HB, no matter how good a runner, can be benched.  See Adrian Peterson as a reference.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 22
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 4:09:53 AM   
David Winter

Well then the proposed system breaks down automatically because you want to have different skills being applied to different players in the same position. The proposed system asks for obtaining the skills from the first team profile entry for that position. If the first profile entry is SPD & STR then thats what all your RB's will be sorted against. Your RB with good blocking skills could end up as the 3B (or even a non starter if you have more than 3RB's on your roster).

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 23
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 4:20:48 AM   
Frank Brickowski

Either i do not understand the way the team profiles work, or the team profiles are not working properly towards the auto fill depth chart.  I know i have two TE's/SBs on my depth chart.  The backup TE/SB beats the starting TE/SB on every rating, but is still the backup.  That is what i'm having trouble with.

Post #: 24
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 4:23:11 AM   
Frank Brickowski

Keep in my mind on my team profile i have the first TE qualifications as "blocking and "catching"

Post #: 25
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 4:34:09 AM   
David Winter

Frank can you send me your league so I can see what's going on. thanks.

Post #: 26
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 5:24:12 AM   
Hubbard

Yes, I am saying ignore RB2 and 3 in the profile. The reason I say this is because if I want my best RB to have high SP and AG and he gets hurt, I don't want him to be replaced by a RB with high INT and HND.
In my mind the depth chart is more for injuries and fatigue substitutions. The formation view is more for situational subs such as a need for a RB with high HND skills in a spread formation.

Post #: 27
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 6:22:33 AM   
David Winter

Hmm well the depth chart is more than just for injuries. It's how the game fills the starting positions for all formations. So while the system of ignoring the subsequent profile items might work for running backs where there's only one slot per position, I do not believe it would work for receivers where there are many slots per position.

So far I think the weighted system covers most of the basis but I'd like a few more people to weigh in.

thanks
David

(in reply to Hubbard)
Post #: 28
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 8:45:43 AM   
Marauders

Perhaps if the first instance in the profile determined which skill attributes are weighted, it would work.

The Bold skill attributes are taken from the team profile.  What would the weight be? 2x?  If the program adds 1x the two profile skills to the hard coded attributes, it would be 2x for skills that are duplicated.  Obviously, adding 2x the attributes would be give a 3x multiplier to the profile skills selected.  How much push do we want those two selected skills to have over the other skills?  Remember here that the unused skills are not used in the hard coded skills.

RB = (SPDx2 + AGLx2 + STR + INT + END + DIS + BLK + CAT + HND)

WR = (SPDx2CATx2 + AGL + STR + INT + END + DIS + BLK + HND)

QB = (PSSx2 + PSAx2 + INT + PPR + SPD + AGL + STR + END + DIS + HND)

DB = (SPDx2 + COVx2 + AGL + STR + INT + END + DIS + CAT + HND)

On a side note, for most teams the highest rated RB would be the halfback rather than the fullback.

Post #: 29
RE: 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts - 3/27/2008 9:16:05 AM   
David Winter

you mean like this?

RB = (SPD + AGL + STR + INT + END + DIS + BLK + CAT + HND) + (Profile1 + Profile2)
WR = (SPD + CAT + AGL + STR + INT + END + DIS + BLK + HND)  + (Profile1 + Profile2)
QB = (PSS + PSA + INT + PPR + SPD + AGL + STR + END + DIS + HND) + (Profile1 + Profile2)
DB = (SPD + COV + AGL + STR + INT + END + DIS + CAT + HND)  + (Profile1 + Profile2)

Profile1 and Profile2 are the two skill choices from the first profile item for that position found. So this does one of two things. It either multiplies one of the existing hard coded values by 2 (because it's added twice) or it adds an additional skill that isn't normally included for that position.

BTW, PPR probably shouldn't be included in the hard coded values. There is no good or bad for pocket passer, it's more of a play style, than a quality of skill.

< Message edited by David Winter -- 3/27/2008 9:21:26 AM >

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Maximum-Football Support >> 2.2 Auto Fill Depth Charts Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI