Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Jumped b4 setup at game start

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Jumped b4 setup at game start Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Jumped b4 setup at game start - 3/27/2008 6:36:05 AM   
ther19

Hi, New here. Not sure that this is the correct sub-forum but I'm sure someone'll set me straight. Long time Harpooner. Been away for various reasons. I was starting to get off the ground with 3.x but kept opening various scenes by sailing a Carrier group into hostile waters and having no CAPs or ASW assets in place. As soon as the clock started I'd get jumped by badguys (usually air but occasionally subs). No time to get set up or gain any situational awareness. I would lose a ship or 3 before I could even launch my BARCAPs. It was if I'd walked onto a flag bridge that had been manned by a deaf/blind/stupid traitor for the previous watch.
I know that the enemy is supposed to jump me in a realistic fashion but even a ensign wouldn't sail into hot water without assets already in place. I was wondering is this has been addressed in the upgrades or if I missed some way to avoid this problem by changing a setting. It basically frustrated me to the point where I switched back to Classic, bugs and all. Thanks for the help.
Best, Robbie
Post #: 1
RE: Jumped b4 setup at game start - 3/27/2008 6:54:43 AM   
rsharp@advancedgamin

What scenario and DB were you playing?

Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon

(in reply to ther19)
Post #: 2
RE: Jumped b4 setup at game start - 3/27/2008 10:45:41 AM   
ther19

Jeez... It was a couple of years ago. I think it was the first version of 3, soon after the final collapse of all hope for Ver 4. I just searched my system for saved games and found none.
Here's what I remember. It was in the Western Pacific. I has a Carrier battle group. I think I was heading up towards Russia with Korea to the South of me. It might be that one with the multiple carrier battle group. I'm just not sure. I enjoy smushing people with CBGs so it would have been like me to play that one first or at least early on.
I would start the game and go to the formation editor immediately. Before my planes were formed up (let alone to their patrol destinations) there were planes attacking with standoff missiles. The frigates didn't have a chance. A couple of times there were even torps in the water a couple of minutes into the game. We had not chance at detection. There were no ASW planes or helos on station, no bouys in the water. No chance. Just flaming datum... As I said in the original post, it got so demoralizing that I stopped playing.
I tried other similar scenarios with similar results. I tried the help files and posted a question to a help desk. There was no help coming and my life was too busy at that point to dig much deeper so I just played Classic when I wanted to Harpoon. I would like to dig further into 3 if this has been fixed or if there is/was a workaround or setting that I missed. Any help appreciated.
Best, R
PS I don't mind the AI beating my ass when I've had a reasonable chance to set up my defenses. It just seemed silly to me for such a realistic game to allow a situation wherein an asset that, even in peacetime, has air cover 24/7/52 to have none at all in a hot zone within range of enemy aircraft & weapons.

(in reply to ther19)
Post #: 3
RE: Jumped b4 setup at game start - 3/27/2008 5:59:15 PM   
Shemar

I have yet to play a scenario where that happens to me. I have been playing since 3.7.0.

All the scenarios start with the game paused and you have plenty of time to look through your units, set up threat axis and patrol zones, set up loadouts and missions, before the clock even starts ticking.

Beyond that, it is a matter of scenario design.

(in reply to ther19)
Post #: 4
RE: Jumped b4 setup at game start - 3/27/2008 9:29:46 PM   
ther19

OK.  This was back in the 3.2 -3.3 days.  But I'm not sure that you understand what I was getting at.  Setting up loadouts and patrol zones and identifying threat axis is not the same as having your planes on station when the clock starts ticking.  It then took game time to get those guys in the air and on station.  During the time when they were taking off, 10 Backfires whould jump me, fire cruise missiles and boot.  I'd lose 2 ships.  In real life, I would accept command with CAPs in place according to the head man's standing orders for that area.  Since I am the head man, that would be everything set up, in place and on station the way I want before I say "go" to the AI or opponants.  I'll d/l the 3.9 in the next day or so and see if it seems better.  If not, it would be an easy enough fix to put a hold on the AI until a "ready" signal was given.  Thanks.  

(in reply to Shemar)
Post #: 5
RE: Jumped b4 setup at game start - 3/27/2008 10:59:13 PM   
Shemar

That's what I meant with "Beyond that, it is a matter of scenario design". Being jumped like that without having the chance to deploy properly is either a very badly designed scenario or potentially a scenario trying to simulate total tactical surprise.

Of course there is a chance that back then there was a timing bug or something that put the AI in overdrive, I wasn't around so I don't know, but I can assure you that all the scenarios I have played so far were not like that. But... I have not played the huge multi CG scenarios yet, I am taking it easy

(in reply to ther19)
Post #: 6
RE: Jumped b4 setup at game start - 3/27/2008 11:07:49 PM   
rsharp@advancedgamin

I would recommend checking out the ANWDB and HUD3 scenarios included with 3.9. They have experienced scenario designers as authors and by most accounts top the ODB scenarios. There are also other user databases that are working towards compliance with 3.9. I suggest checking them all out with a grain of salt.

Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon

(in reply to Shemar)
Post #: 7
RE: Jumped b4 setup at game start - 3/28/2008 5:53:01 PM   
Bucks

quote:

ORIGINAL: ther19

OK.  This was back in the 3.2 -3.3 days.  But I'm not sure that you understand what I was getting at.  Setting up loadouts and patrol zones and identifying threat axis is not the same as having your planes on station when the clock starts ticking.  It then took game time to get those guys in the air and on station.  During the time when they were taking off, 10 Backfires whould jump me, fire cruise missiles and boot.  I'd lose 2 ships.  In real life, I would accept command with CAPs in place according to the head man's standing orders for that area.  Since I am the head man, that would be everything set up, in place and on station the way I want before I say "go" to the AI or opponants.  I'll d/l the 3.9 in the next day or so and see if it seems better.  If not, it would be an easy enough fix to put a hold on the AI until a "ready" signal was given.  Thanks.  

3.2 - 3.3 days hey? You should have been around in the days of H2, when Ed Ladner first released "A Fight to the What?" Where he modified the Global Conflicts I scenario - "A Fight to the Death". If you went active with anything several Oscar I & IIs would unload before a single Tomcat had left the deck. It is all about scenario design and for that what the personal preferences of the player concerned.

In most cases where you want realism then type of pre game setup really needs to be undertaken by the scenario designer. He has the ability to place your CAP and AEW assets on preplanned patrol zones etc but most players will change these as soon as the game starts. This can't really be down anyway, I'd suggest that the normal setting for the commencement of a game in ANW is where nothing is assigned and the player has to set his own fomation stations and mission planning needs to be made prior to game start. Also remember that when a scen is opened all of the designer created missions and assignments are deleted leaving the player to complete his set up anyway. So it's more a matter of timing rather than the designer didn't give me what I wanted. What happens if you're the 2ic and the commander goes down with a heart attack. Maybe now you're in charge you don't agree with how he has the forces deployed, now you can change that deployment, although as always that's going to take time.

The scen designer needs to take this into account during the design phase and either provide time for the human player to deploy his assets (not always enough time). As has been mentioned the concept of complete tactical surprise can be simulated by having an inbound attack almost underway leaving the player with limited opportunities for a planned reaction. The almost "enforced" losses mentioned may very well be part of the intended scenario design. These losses will then influence your ability to complete your mission. Think of it in these terms. You open the scen to play, browse over your forces, consult your orders and sit back thinking, "this doesn't look too hard".

You hit F12 the game starts running and within seconds you have hostile inbounds; lose say, three of your vessels and now you have a fight on your hands to meet your mission goals. You might say that the designer could simply have not given you the vessels in the first place, but there's always an element of luck and who can be sure exactly which ships go down or are damaged. How much use is a Tico with no Aegis radar? What happens if your carrier takes a hit a some of the aircraft on the deck get knocked out?

Scenario design is complex to some extent but it doesn't have to be. How long does it take to create a map and add a ship to each side? That's where it starts and where it ends is all up to imagination and curiousity...

Cheers

Darren

Editor HUD-II/HUD3 Harpoon Databases

http://www.taitennek.com/hud3-db/hud3-index.htm

Development Team H3ANW v3.8, v3.9, v3.10 & v3.10.1

(in reply to ther19)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Jumped b4 setup at game start Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI