Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DOSBOX

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> DOSBOX Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DOSBOX - 3/28/2008 2:06:03 AM   
sabre1

How well does dosbox work? Is it worth the trouble to setup and use on old games? There was an old Holistic Design (Battles of Destiny) game that I enjoyed from time to time that is now a free download. I don't want to get into a configuration nightmare fiddling with a game that I will only play "very" occasionally. Thanks for the help.
Post #: 1
RE: DOSBOX - 3/28/2008 2:31:07 AM   
Terminus

It works very well. The trouble will be finding a front end for it, so it'll be easy to configure. The best front end, DFEnd, has been discontinued.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 2
RE: DOSBOX - 3/28/2008 2:42:39 AM   
Zakhal

I have used it for years now. Played through many old dos game with it. All you have to do is download&run it. Then mount the directory where the games is and you are ready to go.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: DOSBOX - 3/28/2008 3:11:08 AM   
Mac67

I had it downloaded a while back so i could play x-com:apocalyspe. My tolerance for fiddly computer things is pretty low, but after a couple of read throughs of the instructions I had it up and running. Amazing, since I was drunk at the time. I was using it on a pc running windows98, no idea how it works on any later versions.

"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

The Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 4
RE: DOSBOX - 3/28/2008 3:28:04 AM   
cragpider

Hey sabre1, I've used this little beauty and I can say the new version is the best version for old DOS games, was able to play 40K Final Liberation with sound and all, Steel Panthers I and II, Avalon Hill's 1830, Avalon Hill's Advanced Civilization, Command and Conquer first iteration, etc. and the instructions are pretty straight forward and are easy to follow even when you're drunk, LOL... And it works great on MS Windows XP.

< Message edited by cragpider -- 3/28/2008 3:29:14 AM >

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 5
RE: DOSBOX - 3/28/2008 3:31:09 AM   
ravinhood

I think it's very easy to use nothing more than mount c:\ <your main drive like c: > and mount d:\ <your main cdrom like d: > -t cdrom and that's it....how hard is that to do or comprehend? ;) oh then press ALT + ENTER to get to full screen. ;) I run a load of old DOS games through it now, the ones I can't figure out how to make XP run them anyways.

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to Mac67)
Post #: 6
RE: DOSBOX - 3/28/2008 3:52:03 AM   
sabre1

Thanks everyone.

I did run into one problem. I started the download for "Battles of Destiny" and lo and behold, my Kapersky AV told me it had a trojan attached to it. So much for downloading that game. The website so you guys are aware of it is holistic-design.com.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 7
RE: DOSBOX - 3/28/2008 4:52:26 AM   
Mac67

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood
I think it's very easy to use nothing more than mount c:\ <your main drive like c: > and mount d:\ <your main cdrom like d: > -t cdrom and that's it....how hard is that to do or comprehend? ;)

Yeah, thats the bit that gets confusing when you are drunk Though maybe not for you old-timer, ;)

"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

The Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 8
RE: DOSBOX - 3/28/2008 12:39:10 PM   
hadberz

The best front-end is D-Fend Reloaded. http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

(in reply to Mac67)
Post #: 9
RE: DOSBOX - 3/28/2008 1:58:04 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

I think it's very easy to use nothing more than mount c:\ <your main drive like c: > and mount d:\ <your main cdrom like d: > -t cdrom and that's it....how hard is that to do or comprehend? ;) oh then press ALT + ENTER to get to full screen. ;) I run a load of old DOS games through it now, the ones I can't figure out how to make XP run them anyways.

And you can put all that into the end of the bat and thus start the dosbox&game with one shortcut click on your windows desktop.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 10
RE: DOSBOX - 3/28/2008 2:34:54 PM   
Krasny

On the subject of X-Com Apocalypse, I have recently discovered UFO: Aftershock, which I was expecting to be so-so like it's predecessor, but is a compelling game in every respect.

AND runs fine in Windows XP.

AND version 1.2 comes WITHOUT Starforce.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 11
RE: DOSBOX - 3/28/2008 8:23:09 PM   
ilovestrategy

This is good to know. You guys rock!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 12
RE: DOSBOX - 3/28/2008 8:53:42 PM   
Kuokkanen

If you still have CRT monitor (I do), DOSBox can spare you from lots of headaches, for it makes game work with higher refresh rate. Two games I'm having problems with DOSBox and WinXP, are System Shock and MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries. Frame rate of SS sucks and MW2:MERCS crashes after 2nd mission every time. New version might be some help... gotta remember do update.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 13
RE: DOSBOX - 3/5/2016 8:48:37 PM   
clark_x_zhang

Hi Craig, May I ask how you were able to get the sound to work for Steel Panthers in dosbox? Thanks for your help, C

(in reply to cragpider)
Post #: 14
RE: DOSBOX - 3/5/2016 9:21:01 PM   
wings7

Clark, "cragpider" has not been written any messages since 2009, I don't have much experience with DOSBOX, but I'm sure someone will give you some help.

Patrick

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to clark_x_zhang)
Post #: 15
RE: DOSBOX - 3/5/2016 10:12:21 PM   
JamesM

Have you tried D-Fend reloaded, can be difficult at first to learn, it incorporates dosbox with a much more functional front end.
http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 16
RE: DOSBOX - 3/6/2016 1:05:35 PM   
jamus34

I managed to get the original Xcom running on it...you know the one where the time lapse is based on CPU cycles.

With a little reading up on the InterWebz I was able to get it up and running.

So it does work pretty well IMHO.

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 17
RE: DOSBOX - 3/30/2016 5:32:23 AM   
sPzAbt653

DFend has moved on to 'DOSBox Game Launcher'. If you have trouble with other DosBoxes, you may want to try this one - http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/

(in reply to jamus34)
Post #: 18
RE: DOSBOX - 3/30/2016 4:10:30 PM   
Riitaoja2

I have been using DOSBox to play my old DOS games for several years now. The last official version has been 0.74 since 2010. That seems to work just fine for all the games I have played with it.

I am not using any third party frontend programs though. Just configuring DOSBox with Notepad seems to be enough.

In the DOSBox config file the most useful settings are in the end under the [autoexec] field.
Here I have input the path to my DOS C: drive and my computers CD/DVD drive like this:
mount c D:\DOSGAMES\
mount d E:\ -t cdrom -ioctl

So I have all my DOS games on the D: drive under \DOSGAMES\ -folder. And I mount it as the virtual C: drive for DOSBOX.
And ofcourse my computers CD/DVD drive letter is E: and for DOSBox I mount it as D:

That's all it really takes. To get to Full screen one can press "Alt Gr + Enter". Or if one likes DOSBox to always start in full screen one can edit the option in the beginning of the conficuration file under [sdl] as follows:
fullscreen=true

If a game runs too slow I press the keys Ctrl + F12 to speed up the emulation.
Or if it runs too fast Ctrl + F11 slows down the speed.
Most games however run with correct speed without the need to manualy change it.

You can also create a .bat file with the cycles command to automate the speed adjustemt for a particular game if you like.

For example for Steel Panthers 2 I have created a file START.BAT in the game directory that has the following in it:
cycles 60000
steel2

Running the game with this start.bat file automaticaly adjusts the cycles to 60000 which seems to be good for Steel Panthers 2. So I do not need to manualy press "Ctrl+F11" or "Ctrl+F12" to adjust the speed every time I run the game.

Most of the games will run at the correct speed under DosBox with the default "cycles auto" value. However for some games you may need to experiment to find the correct cycles value.

The README.TXT file that comes with DOSBox is definately recommended reading. It contains all the information you need to run the emulator the way you want.

P.S The DOSBox configuration file can be accessed from the Windows Start menu under:
->"All Programs"->DOSBox-0.74->Options

< Message edited by Riitaoja2 -- 3/30/2016 4:20:14 PM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 19
RE: DOSBOX - 3/30/2016 5:11:33 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Riitaoja2

I have been using DOSBox to play my old DOS games for several years now. The last official version has been 0.74 since 2010. That seems to work just fine for all the games I have played with it.

I am not using any third party frontend programs though. Just configuring DOSBox with Notepad seems to be enough.

In the DOSBox config file the most useful settings are in the end under the [autoexec] field.
Here I have input the path to my DOS C: drive and my computers CD/DVD drive like this:
mount c D:\DOSGAMES\
mount d E:\ -t cdrom -ioctl

So I have all my DOS games on the D: drive under \DOSGAMES\ -folder. And I mount it as the virtual C: drive for DOSBOX.
And ofcourse my computers CD/DVD drive letter is E: and for DOSBox I mount it as D:

That's all it really takes. To get to Full screen one can press "Alt Gr + Enter". Or if one likes DOSBox to always start in full screen one can edit the option in the beginning of the conficuration file under [sdl] as follows:
fullscreen=true

If a game runs too slow I press the keys Ctrl + F12 to speed up the emulation.
Or if it runs too fast Ctrl + F11 slows down the speed.
Most games however run with correct speed without the need to manualy change it.

You can also create a .bat file with the cycles command to automate the speed adjustemt for a particular game if you like.

For example for Steel Panthers 2 I have created a file START.BAT in the game directory that has the following in it:
cycles 60000
steel2

Running the game with this start.bat file automaticaly adjusts the cycles to 60000 which seems to be good for Steel Panthers 2. So I do not need to manualy press "Ctrl+F11" or "Ctrl+F12" to adjust the speed every time I run the game.

Most of the games will run at the correct speed under DosBox with the default "cycles auto" value. However for some games you may need to experiment to find the correct cycles value.

The README.TXT file that comes with DOSBox is definately recommended reading. It contains all the information you need to run the emulator the way you want.

P.S The DOSBox configuration file can be accessed from the Windows Start menu under:
->"All Programs"->DOSBox-0.74->Options

Thanks for the info!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to Riitaoja2)
Post #: 20
RE: DOSBOX - 3/30/2016 5:38:32 PM   
Riitaoja2

Some additional Tips / info for DOS operation:

If you are rusty with DOS commands these should get you started:

DIR = list files in the current directory.
CD "directory name here" = change directory to the specified one.

Other useful commands are:
DIR/P = list directory with a pause function to view long lists.
DIR/W = list directory as multiple columns to view long lists.
You can even combine these with the DIR/P/W command.

DIR.EXE = List only executable files (.exe). Useful for quickly finding out what to type to start the game.
DIR.BAT = Same as above but for batch files (.bat).

And finaly to start a program simply type in the correct .EXE or .BAT file name and hit ENTER.
Sometimes a game might also start from a .COM file. (usualy just very old and simple games)

DOS Sound Setup:

Usualy DOS games reguire you to run the SETUP, SETSOUND or similar .exe or .bat file to configure your sound card.
When you setup sounds for a game in DOSBox use Soundblaster16 if available to get stereo sounds. Otherwise select a regular SoundBlaster card from the list. Automatic configuration should be fine. If you do need to manualy specify the card settings use these:
IRQ 7
DMA 1
I/O 220

Happy DOSBoxing!

< Message edited by Riitaoja2 -- 3/30/2016 5:41:10 PM >

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 21
RE: DOSBOX - 3/30/2016 9:09:23 PM   
CGGrognard

All these DOS commands bring back fond memories of DOS programs and DOS games from years gone by. Now these commands for the most part have been tucked inside an icon, link, tile etc. to run the game. I feel DOS commands and the like are becoming a lost skill.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to Riitaoja2)
Post #: 22
RE: DOSBOX - 3/30/2016 10:53:27 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: CGGrognard

All these DOS commands bring back fond memories of DOS programs and DOS games from years gone by. Now these commands for the most part have been tucked inside an icon, link, tile etc. to run the game. I feel DOS commands and the like are becoming a lost skill.

For me those were magical times, learning all the DOS commands, remember the "DOS Shell"? It was the non-GUI Windows File Manager.

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> DOSBOX Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote