Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

invisible units?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> invisible units? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
invisible units? - 3/29/2008 9:46:05 PM   
dgk196

So, like is it these old eyes or are the units hard to make out against the background? Especially if they are camo units!

So, I open up my Paint Shop Pro program and go looking for the terrain files. Low and behold they are there. So, I opened one up and started playing around with the settings. I tried to make as few changes as possible. I only changed the primary '...3D,4D,5D' files, the 'hexes'. One thing is the 'brightness' and contrast setting. I changed these so that the 'brightness' of the files was increased and the contrast decreased.

Bingo! Now I can make out the camo units even without the bases on! If you are so inclined give it a try. My buddy thinks I should have gone the other way. Make the background brighter. Maybe it would look better. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Dennis

< Message edited by dgk196 -- 3/30/2008 2:10:55 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: invisible units? - 3/29/2008 11:22:37 PM   
Mraah

Dennis,

Yes .. bingo.

I've experimented with terrain and other objects from John Tiller's squad battles. The screen shot below is just an example of the contrast for a darker GREEN or soft ...

Rob

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mraah -- 3/29/2008 11:23:16 PM >

(in reply to dgk196)
Post #: 2
RE: invisible units? - 3/29/2008 11:31:50 PM   
junk2drive

I've wondered if Tiller's/HPS SB and PzC/MC series graphics could be used and if so, would it be any better.

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 3
RE: invisible units? - 3/30/2008 12:04:01 AM   
Mraah

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

I've wondered if Tiller's/HPS SB and PzC/MC series graphics could be used and if so, would it be any better.

They can be better, units ... terrain, etc. All depends are your taste. They need adjusting though if you spend the time. For the terrain, it's a different arrangement but just cutting and pasting worked well. Any changes you do, however, can't be released to the public as a mod since it would be copyrighted material ... but for your own use it adds some flavor.

Rob

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 4
RE: invisible units? - 3/30/2008 12:06:44 AM   
Mraah

Dennis,

I forgot to add... some units I used the sharpening tool and cleaned up the edges etc. Just a small adjustment to the original JTCS pics can make a difference too!

Rob

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 5
RE: invisible units? - 3/30/2008 12:09:15 AM   
junk2drive

Not that these games are graphics showcases but I would like to see a patchy snow mod for Bulge battles in West Front.

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 6
RE: invisible units? - 3/30/2008 12:45:56 AM   
Dumnorix

Looks very bad like the original overcoloured-pixel-graphic.
It costs somewhat more work than a simple color change, in order to optimize the very bad original terrain-graphic!
Take a look at JTCS meets PG3D...

H.Balck

< Message edited by Dumnorix -- 3/30/2008 12:59:15 AM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 7
RE: invisible units? - 3/30/2008 2:18:18 AM   
dgk196

Yes, I went with increasing the brightness for the hexes and it worked out better. I decreased the brightness for the 'snow' and that also had a satisfactory result.
As long as you do not modify any of the terrain, 'sides' etc... you will see them pop out too! I was getting eye strain from trying to make out the units. This helps. Did you notice on the middle 3D level that the shadows are very distinct, catches your eye.

By the way, great screen shots guys. And thanks for the tip on 'sharpness'.

Also, have any of you created your own 3D unit images for CS? I you have, could you put your info on the site? Or if anyone has an idea on how it could be done (details), would you share it with us? Some of those really bizarre mine clearing vehicles might be fun to model.

Dennis

< Message edited by dgk196 -- 3/30/2008 2:24:06 AM >

(in reply to Dumnorix)
Post #: 8
RE: invisible units? - 3/30/2008 2:52:50 AM   
Atle

I have always thought that the Panzer General graphics are ugly. Why use them for a CS mod? The original graphics are way superior..... Nicer colour. More detail. You get my point, eh?

(in reply to dgk196)
Post #: 9
RE: invisible units? - 3/30/2008 12:42:37 PM   
Dumnorix

quote:

Nicer colour. More detail.

Do you suffer on Taste erring ?
H.Balck

< Message edited by Dumnorix -- 3/30/2008 12:43:30 PM >

(in reply to Atle)
Post #: 10
RE: invisible units? - 3/30/2008 2:42:04 PM   
tide1212

I have to agree with you Atle the PG graphics are a little to bland.

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

(in reply to Dumnorix)
Post #: 11
RE: invisible units? - 3/30/2008 5:33:48 PM   
big dawg

AAAHHHH  Those graphs above are of poor quality.  Especially the mod with the modern tanks. 

Someone needs to go back to the drawing board. 

(in reply to tide1212)
Post #: 12
RE: invisible units? - 3/30/2008 11:34:59 PM   
dgk196

Somewhat off subject. I'm not calling anyone to task, or challenging their position or opinions. Everyone has a right to say what they want on a 'forum', constrained only by their conscience of course and the 'banned' hammer!  This communication falls into the category of 'just wondering'.

I have noticed that 'Dumnorix's English errors are too consistent. Sort of like someone who is pretending to be from 'down south' but grew up in the Bronx! Or an English actor playing the part of a German (James Mason as Rommel) in a movie.

Over time in your dealings with people from another country, you will find yourself not making the sort of language errors in verbal or written communication that he makes repeatedly, eventually, you can't help it, its only natural. He is like someone trying to make sure of the errors they make, for 'consistency'! No corrections, none of the natural reaction to being exposed to another language, with none of the almost inevitable improvement at all!

It did not take too long for me to pick up on the use of the language either in Norway or Japan, and even L.A. for that matter! So,especially for someone in Germany (I'm assuming German, Dutch, Belgian...), who is dealing with people either personally or professionally in the 'sciences'!

In the 'service' and in civilian life, I dealt with German nationals, on a professional and technical basis. Just like the people in Norway when I was stationed there, English is mandatory in school. In fact, most of them speak English better than I do, and probably still do. Mostly they are somewhat reluctant to use the language, sometimes they get the idioms wrong.

But they generally have a working knowledge of the current slang words and terms, from television, print and the internet. Its only the older slang terms that elude them, the sort of things that we here in the states, all grew up with, and he pointedly (by his lack of use) avoids!

So, 'Dumnorix', I'm betting that you are using the 'not my first language' as a ploy, for whatever reason. So 'Dumnorix', are you an American stationed or working overseas, or hiding in 'silicon valley'? Am I right?????

Dennis 

P.S. Sorry for editing the post after your reply, 'tide1212', your comments made me think about some clarifications. Minor but necessary?!

< Message edited by dgk196 -- 3/31/2008 1:24:45 AM >

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 13
RE: invisible units? - 3/31/2008 12:25:52 AM   
tide1212

dgk196 of course your right. These days with the internet you just don't know the real person behind the typed words. For all anyone knows he could be a frustrated ex-stasi informant or just some nutbag with a talent for making mods and trouble  who knows for sure.  

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

(in reply to dgk196)
Post #: 14
RE: invisible units? - 3/31/2008 5:25:32 AM   
1925frank

With a 1971 birthdate, Dumnorix might be a product of an East German education.  His second language might be Russian.  That might also explain his visceral antipathy for Americans.  Learning English might have been a hazardous proposition.  This would make his computer skills even more amazing.

(in reply to tide1212)
Post #: 15
RE: invisible units? - 4/1/2008 12:01:09 AM   
Warhorse

Just wish he would chill with the crap, sure his mod is amazing, I've done a lot of modding and what he's done is very good, but frankly his attitude, real or pretend sucks! Like was brought up in another thread, if he offends you, there is an easy solution, just hit the green dot below his post, it will block his posts to you!! Nuff said....

Mike

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 16
RE: invisible units? - 4/1/2008 1:32:57 AM   
dgk196

Ach so! I was just curious, is all. It would be funny if my guess is right!
If that is the case, I suspect that 'Dumnorix' may not turn out to be so 'Dumn' at all!

Dennis

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 17
RE: invisible units? - 4/1/2008 4:13:23 AM   
big dawg

Thanks Warhorse!  I just blocked him.  Appreciate that very much.

(in reply to dgk196)
Post #: 18
RE: invisible units? - 4/2/2008 2:10:32 AM   
Warhorse

No problemo!!!

Mike

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> invisible units? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI