Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

csa brig gen robert s garnett

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> csa brig gen robert s garnett Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
csa brig gen robert s garnett - 4/4/2008 4:50:58 PM   
shenandoah

Brigadier General Robert Selden Garnett (b.1819, d. 1861) He has the dubious honor of being the first general killed during the Civil War. Garnett was born December 16, 1819 in Essex County, Virginia. He attended West Point and graduated with his cousin Richard Brooke Garnett in 1841 and assigned to the 4th Artillery as 2nd lieutenant. He was transferred to New York and served there during the Canada Border Disturbances then later assigned to Ft. Monroe, Virginia in 1842. The next couple years, Garnett became an assistant instructor in infantry tactics at West Point, army recruiter, Aide-de-camp to General John E. Wool before joining Major General Zachary Taylor in the Mexican-American War. Garnett received two brevets for gallant conduct at the battles of Monterrey and Buena Vista. After the war, he was transferred to the 7th Infantry and moved to Florida to fight Seminoles in 1850 and later sent to the Presidio in Monterey, California where he would help in the design of the Great Seal of the State of California. In 1851, he was promoted to captain and sent to the Texas frontier. Garnett returned to West Point in 1852 as Commandant of Cadets and an instructor of infantry tactics until transferring to Ft. Monroe, Virginia in 1855. He was made captain in the 1st Cavalry that year then promoted to major in the 9th Infantry and sent west in 1856, to serve in the Yakima War in the Washington Territory where he constructed Ft. Simcoe. In 1858, Garnett requested a leave of absence due to the illness of his wife and son from which they would lose their life. He traveled to Europe and returned in 1861, resigning his commission after Virginia seceded and then becoming Adjutant General under Robert E. Lee. Garnett was promoted to Brigadier General that June and sent to western Virginia to stop the advance of Union Major General George B. McClellan. At the battle of Rich Mountain, part of his force under Lt. Colonel John Pegram was defeated forcing Garnett to evacuate with his forces from Laurel Mountain. On July 13, during a rear guard action around Corrick’s Ford on the Cheat River, Garnett was struck down by a Union volley while he was commanding his skirmishers. Union Colonel Ebenezer Dumont on the 7th Indiana regiment, a comrade of Garnett’s from the Mexican War, found him and later a Union honor guard delivered him to his family in Virginia under a flag of truce. Garnett was buried in Green Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn, New York.

I thought being the first general to die in the war, this would be a small bio but as you can see this guy traveled! I can do a couple more. If Franklin Gardner and William Montgomery Gardner are still out there, I can start on those guys.

This Sunday looks like a good enough day to canoe the Shenandoah. I will drop in a few miles upstream from Strasburg and take out few miles below Strasburg. This part of the Shenandoah is where Early crossed his forces for the flanking attack on the Union at the opening of the battle of Cedar Creek. It is a great stretch with Signal Knob towering above.

A local paper just had an article about the pollution in the Shenandoah and dying fish for the past few years. 59 chemicals were found during recent tests (herbicides, insecticides, pharmaceuticals i.e. codeine, PCBs, PAHs, hormones i.e. oral contraceptives and others i.e. bug repellent deet, caffeine and flame retardants. For what ever your ailment is, come on down to the Shenandaoah river and have a drink!

My drinking water comes from Strasburg which gets its water from the river. They say these are trace amounts enough to effect fish (specifically smallmouth bass and sunfish) but not humans. Well my daughter is four and has been drinking the water since she was born. An infant can be the size of a fish. I will still canoe the river, I just hope I don't swamp the boat and drink some river water.

Speaking of rivers, I hope those of you out St. Louis way didn't get any flooding awhile back.
Post #: 1
RE: csa brig gen robert s garnett - 4/4/2008 9:16:03 PM   
Battleline

From my side, you can go ahead and do the Gardners. I'm not moving as fast as I have in the past. There have been too many major projects going on right now, trip to Dallas, upcoming trip to North Carolina, work on writing stories for my vintage base ball team's Web site and newsletter, etc.
As far as the flooding went, I grew up around the Meramec River and have seen it flood to similar levels. We had moderate flooding in our county from that river and its tributary, the Bourbeuse. Here, in Washington, we only had minor flooding on the Missouri River.
I actually almost had more trouble with the Gasconade River, which nearly played havoc with my trip to Dallas, but was down off the interstate by the time I left. The water is down now. I actually saw a soccer game at Eureka High School Wednesday, where the Weather Channel was a couple of weeks before. The field, next to the creek which backed up, had been covered by eight or more feet of water during the worst of the flooding. It was a little muddy, but playable.
Thanks,
Battleline

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 2
RE: csa brig gen robert s garnett - 4/5/2008 2:39:44 PM   
jkBluesman

I am fine with it too. By the way, do you know why Garnett was buried in Brooklyn when his body was brought to his family in Virginia, where he had been born?

"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 3
RE: csa brig gen robert s garnett - 4/5/2008 10:05:33 PM   
Gil R.

Thanks for the bio.

I live in St. Louis proper, on the seventh floor of a building that's about two miles from the river, so I saw no sign of flooding.

Battleline, when is your season starting?

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 4
RE: csa brig gen robert s garnett - 4/7/2008 12:07:17 AM   
Battleline

Gil,
We played a practice doubleheader yesterday at Lafayette Park. Played center scout in the first game and hurled the second.
We have another practice doubleheader April 19, 1 p.m., which will be open to the Lafayette Square community "Imperfectos" players as well as our team and the University City team.
Our new Web site is up: http://stlouisperfectos.org/
We have found out that the Cyclone Club actually used Lafayette Park in 1860 and a number of ballists were central in the Civil War, including one Confederate staff officer, Ed Bredell, who was KIA with Moseby's Rangers, two Union high-ranking naval officers, one Federal general (Fullerton) and Fred Benteen, who served well after the war and was with Seventh Cavalry under Custer. His detachment was not at Little Bighorn. It has been reported that Benteen had a team which played at forts around the West.
Thanks,
Battleline

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 5
RE: csa brig gen robert s garnett - 4/10/2008 6:05:39 AM   
Gil R.

"Center scout"??? Hmm. Looks like I'll have to brush up on the rules.

Sadly, I'm out of town on April 19, so I'll have to show up at another.

Perhaps we should make "Baseball Team" a brigade attribute that functions like "Marching Band" by raising troop morale...

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 6
RE: csa brig gen robert s garnett - 4/11/2008 8:28:56 PM   
Battleline

Gil
Center Scout=Center Field.
As a rule, the basemen in the vintage era are tenders, the outfielders and shortstop are scouts. The pitcher is the hurler and the catcher is the behind.
A base ball team (note, two words as it wasn't baseball until after the Civil War) would be a good idea. We're starting to find out that the sport was a bit more widespread than originally thought. The September/October 2007 issue of The Civil War Historian has numerous documented instances of baseball being played during the war.
Thanks,
Battleline

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: csa brig gen robert s garnett - 4/11/2008 11:16:48 PM   
Joram

I'm always astounded by the amount of information in this game. (referring to the bio's, not the baseball!)  Gil, have you considered making all the bio's available in the appendix.  At least the pdf version if not the paper.  It would be a pretty damn good quick reference!

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 8
RE: csa brig gen robert s garnett - 4/12/2008 8:18:58 AM   
Gil R.

Joram,
The idea of putting them in a .pdf is interesting. I can see how it would be especially welcomed by those who only play the USA or CSA, and thus never see the other side's bios. It would be a pretty long .pdf file, though -- it would probably double the size of the next patch if we did this.

Battleline,
Interesting. Do you get the sense that baseball was more a game played by garrisons at forts, or soldiers in the field? If the former, maybe this could be a brigade attribute for garrisons only, one that would have a minor impact on the game and be there mainly for the fun of it.

By the way, do you know this book? It's got lots of fascinating information about old-time baseball, and is one of the more original baseball books I've read:
http://www.amazon.com/Numbers-Game-Baseballs-Fascination-Statistics/dp/B000GQLCPU/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207977239&sr=8-2

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 9
RE: csa brig gen robert s garnett - 4/16/2008 8:05:48 PM   
Battleline

Gil,
I've seen that book in stores, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.
From what I've been able to determine, baseball was played in all aspects of military life by both sides.
There are reports of the game being played in camps, in POW camps and as soldiers waited for the enemy to advance. There even are reports of games being "postponed" due to enemy action. One account of a game between Union troops in Alexandria, Texas, in 1863 states that the game was ended when a Confederate attack happened with the centerfield ballist wounded and captured. The Confederates also captured the ball.
There is another account, which may have foreshadowed the game's affect. It has been reported that Union and Confederate troops played after the surrender at Appomattox Court House to pass the time.
Battleline

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 10
RE: csa brig gen robert s garnett - 5/19/2008 9:16:52 PM   
Gil R.

Here's Garnett, to which I added some contextual information, but otherwise barely changed. I hope that you don't mind my putting those opinions about McClellan in your mouth (so to speak, er, type).

If one wants to get technical about it, since the July scenario begins in "late July" Garnett should never even enter the game, but that date is enough of an abstraction that we can imagine him somehow surviving that Union volley on July 13... (He'll never be in any later scenarios, though.)

Brig. Gen. Robert Selden Garnett (b. 1819, d. 1861). A career mililtary man, Garnett has the dubious honor of being the first general killed during the Civil War. Born December 16, 1819 in Essex County, Virginia, he attended West Point and in 1841 graduated with his cousin Richard Brooke Garnett, the future Confederate general who would famously die in Picket’s Charge. First assigned to the 4th Artillery as 2nd lieutenant, he was transferred to New York and served there during the Canada border disturbances, and then later assigned to Ft. Monroe, Virginia in 1842. Over the next couple of years, Garnett became an assistant instructor in infantry tactics at West Point, army recruiter, and aide-de-camp to Gen. John E. Wool, before joining Gen. Zachary Taylor in the Mexican-American War. Garnett received two brevets for gallant conduct at the battles of Monterrey and Buena Vista during this conflict. After the war, he was transferred to the 7th Infantry and moved to Florida to fight Seminoles in 1850, and later was sent to the Presidio in Monterey, California, where he would help in the design of the Great Seal of the State of California. In 1851, Garnett was promoted to captain and sent to the Texas frontier. He returned to West Point in 1852 as Commandant of Cadets and an instructor of infantry tactics until transferring back to Ft. Monroe in 1855. Garnett was made captain in the 1st Cavalry that year then promoted to major in the 9th Infantry and in 1856 was sent west to serve in the Yakima War in the Washington Territory, where he constructed Ft. Simcoe. In 1858, Garnett requested a leave of absence due to the illness of his wife and son, an illness that would take both their lives. He traveled to Europe and returned in 1861, resigning his commission in the U.S. Army after Virginia seceded and becoming Adjutant General under Robert E. Lee, who was commanding Virginia’s forces. Garnett was promoted to brigadier general in the newly-formed Confederate army that June and sent to western Virginia to stop the advance of Union Gen. George B. McClellan, whose goal was both to take control of the strategically vital region and give its citizens the freedom to secede from Virginia and remain in the Union. At the Battle of Rich Mountain on July 11, part of his force under Lt. Col. John Pegram was defeated by a flanking march conceived and executed by McClellan’s subordinate, Gen. William S. Rosecrans. (McClellan, however, would get the largely undeserved credit for the victory and be hailed as a hero by the press and public, and after the disastrous defeat at Manassas ten days later would be called back to Washington, D.C. and given command of the Union army there.) Now isolated, Garnett was forced to evacuate from nearby Laurel Mountain with his forces. On July 13, during a rearguard action around Corrick’s Ford on the Cheat River Garnett was struck down by a Union volley while he was commanding his skirmishers. Union Col. Ebenezer Dumont of the 7th Indiana regiment, a comrade of Garnett’s in the Mexican War, found his body, and later a Union honor guard delivered him to his family in Virginia under a flag of truce. Garnett was buried in Green Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn, New York. (Bio by Andrew Thayer)

Leadership: 4
Tactical: 4
Initiative: 3
Command: 4
Cavalry: 0

Teaches: Organized (24), Independent (9)

Start date: 10

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> csa brig gen robert s garnett Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI