Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Losses

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Losses Page: <<   < prev  83 84 [85] 86 87   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Losses - 4/6/2008 10:29:57 PM   
Andy Mac

I agree but when I had 8 -  3xDD TF's they were ignoring most of the AP's and AK's so I tried a different tactic !!!

I was getting worried about only sinking 5 or 6 AK's a deay at a base where I had over 100 DD's

So I switched it round to see how it worked

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 2521
RE: Losses - 4/6/2008 11:16:25 PM   
Andy Mac

Things are getting desperate.

USAAF Pilot pool has been empty for months
USN Pilot pool has been empty for years
F4U1D and F6F pools are empty

Pretty much ever unit in the USN is taking damage. I dont have the assault lift to land more troops even though more are available

B29's have used about 2m supply in the last 6 weeks of operation.

Ananami will fall soon but then what.

I will be wekaer than I would have been had I went deeper before...

At least the last of PZB's ground attacked trained pilots are long gone but untrained Shindens and Reppus are killing me because even my Mustangs are untrained.

Andy

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 2522
RE: Losses - 4/6/2008 11:24:42 PM   
Andy Mac

As you can see scraping the bottom of the barrel....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 2523
RE: Losses - 4/6/2008 11:52:00 PM   
pat.casey

Hate to say this because I'm an AFB at heart, but given the situation you're in and the ground combat model, I think Amani may be the high water mark of your counterattack.

Even if you'd taken it on the bounce e.g. turn one shock assault with minimal casualties, I'd be dubious you could take and hold a base on the mainland with the forces at your disposal.

Pretty much anywhere you land, level 9 forts and/or urban multipliers are going to hold you off long enough to rail or barge in enough reinforcements to stalemate you and that's all she wrote.

I can't think of very many allied players who have successfully invaded the Home Islands, even in games where the corellation of forces favored the allies more strongly. Seems like the game as is just favors the defender too greatly in the late game.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 2524
RE: Losses - 4/7/2008 12:01:51 AM   
Andy Mac

There is a lot of truth in that with the assault lift i have and the Ground forces 10,000 AV is just not enough

At Bombay PZB has c 1,000 actual AV for an adjusted AV of 13,000 its simply to much to overcome.

The suicide AK's and AP's have not helped...

Much as I would love to blame the game you play the game you have not the game you wish you had.

AF's are slightly to much an all or nothing affair with terrible consequences if you fail...

In AE a lot of this is being dealt with on both sides PZB would not have been able to garrison Apananami as heavily but equally I would not have been able to attack as much.

Late war is very tough to model compared to early war because the scale changes so radically.

Arguably this game is Regt/Bn scale in 41 - early, Bde/Div Scale in Mid 42 - Mid 43, Div Scale Mid 43 - Mid 44, Corps Scale 44 - 45 and Army Scale in late 45 !!!

All of that in one game is a huge challenge.

Forts are a major issue though

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 2525
RE: Losses - 4/7/2008 12:07:19 AM   
Nemo121

Oh I disagree it favours the defender "too much" in the end game. What we are seeing here is an outlier of a game and even still Japan has no navy, no significant ability to project aerial power beyond its bases. What it does have is major ground forces which can't, in the long run, win but CAN make the cost of invading unthinkably high. This seems to me to be a very accurate representation of the situation in 1945 which led America to drop nukes.

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 2526
RE: Losses - 4/7/2008 12:16:41 AM   
pat.casey

Okinawa had, what, 100k defenders (so, say, 5 division equivalents) and the US took it with about 2 corps of troops. Sure, it took almost three months, but the US had usable airfield in about 2 weeks, didn't we?

I don't believe those same forces could dig out the same quantity of defenders within the parameters of the game.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 2527
RE: Losses - 4/7/2008 12:27:22 AM   
1275psi

remember though this is an extreme game -PZB has had the advantage of massive production via India, and Andy has had to race the clock all the way.

My game against Tabpub reflects the reality perfectly -he is going to win thanks to a successful commerce war -literally starving my military to death. But he has had time to do it, and I only grabbed the Historical bits. I don't think he will have to invade the home islands.

I Just think that if Allied players try for the "brute force" method, trying to win through LCU's -it will be hard -as Japan does have the defensive strength. I think the game reflects the Japanese dogged fight to the last for every inch extremely well.
The allies have to -simply have to starve, strangle and isolate them from the very first days.

You make your choices though -but again I don't think based on just this game we should be saying "its all wrong!!!"
Andy Mac has done a good job -but I reckon he got beat by a better player -and the clock
Still, I salute Andy for persisting, and persisting.
Its been a great game, But I think the Homeland will never see an Allied boot upon it.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 2528
RE: Losses - 4/7/2008 12:43:05 AM   
Andy Mac

All good points attacking core inner bases is and should be tough but the game is all or nothing for the AF which causes problems and those bases are possibly to tough because even a mountain hex has an AF that needs some flat terrain somewhere

I base almost nothing I am doing in AE on this game because that would cause seperate issues.

PZB is a great player nothing I am saying is in any way to say I aint been beat by a great player - ps I aint beat yet...VP count is 137k v 97k - I need to get up to c 190k and only use one more Atom Bomb to get a draw by 3/46 so it aint over until that fat lady starts singing

In any base that has mountains or urban terrain the combination with lvl 9 forts is too powerfull.

1,000 AV makes Okinawa and Iwo Jima impregnable which is not historic - 5 Divs on Okinawa in this game is invulnerable  x 3 x 4 = 12x modifier allies dont get enough troops in the whole game to take it.

I do believe that with the forces I have now the HI are more trouble than they are worth.

I need to decide whether to go for high value points bases and get Ananami up and running for 200 P47's to strat bomb Japan or to go for the end run.

But I am weaker than I was before Apanami so it may not be possible now

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 2529
RE: Losses - 4/7/2008 12:48:27 AM   
Andy Mac

Rangoon and South East India are worth a fair number of points as are Bombay
Formosa is worth a lot as is Pescadores and Hong Kong.

If I were to go for a points draw I should hit these bases and concentrate on strat bombing Japan.

Takes the pressure off the navy which is less valuable than it was as my USAAF pilot pool os empty as well

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 2530
RE: Losses - 4/7/2008 1:01:28 AM   
ctangus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Pretty much ever unit in the USN is taking damage. I dont have the assault lift to land more troops even though more are available

Quick question. Did you lose a lot of assault transports in earlier ops? Roughly how much was lost or disabled in this Amami op?

Curious 'cause I have both a game in mid-'43 and another in mid-'44 and combat shipping seems to be a limiting factor in both.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 2531
RE: Losses - 4/7/2008 1:03:40 AM   
Andy Mac

Not much my LST's have been well protected the fact is you cannot really lift more than about 3 or max 4 Corps in a single lift say 5 or 6000 AV.

34 LST's = 1 Div lift

Using massed AK's I could lift more but thats not really assault lift

(in reply to ctangus)
Post #: 2532
RE: Losses - 4/7/2008 1:05:19 AM   
Andy Mac

I have lost 48 LST's 3 LSD's and 1 LSV so thats less than 2 Divs worth of lift lost to date

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 2533
RE: Losses - 4/7/2008 1:17:30 AM   
ctangus

Thanks! Though it might not be good news for me - I may have already lost more than that in my '44 game...

Good luck with the final months!

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 2534
RE: Losses - 4/7/2008 1:34:56 AM   
Andy Mac

LST's are the most valuable ships you get they need to be protected

If I were to list the biggest avoidable mistakes I have made.

1. I regret Zamboanga
2. I regret Iwo Jima on the run

The others I dont regret.

Zamboanga I regret although it finished the IJN carrier threat it made me stop attacking the PI from the south despite the bases I had in the area.

What I should have done was close and fight a major battle there when my opportunism was kicked in many ways this was decisive I could have been in the PI and forcing PZB to fight on my terms instead I took Malaya and ended up taking the PI from the other side..

2. Iwo Jima - trying to take it on the run I should have known better level 9 forts plus mountain terrain = impregnable I broke the USN for the 3rd time off of Iwo Jima.

Strategically after securing Southern Borneo and Celebes I should have went NE into the PI whatever the cost instead I went to Malaya and took Malaya and SEA which only really lengthened my LOC

Choices you make 12 months before hurt you in this game its why its so fascinating

(in reply to ctangus)
Post #: 2535
RE: Losses - 4/7/2008 1:36:50 AM   
Andy Mac

p.s. the PI had huge unit counts what the SEA/Malaya campaign did achieve was to pull a lot of forces out of the PI (rememnber the 2 Divs I destroyed at sea)

Perhaps Malaya and SEA was not a total waste but it was an expensive way to weaken Luzon

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 2536
RE: Losses - 4/7/2008 1:44:55 AM   
Andy Mac

p.s. tip to all allioed player kill Mitsibushi Engines if ever you have a choice of target..

Shindens, Reppus, Graces, Betties all use em I will be going back to my kill Mitsibushi strategy as soon as I get Apanami up and running and I am saving my 2nd nuke for a base with 2 160 Mitsi factory

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 2537
RE: Losses - 4/7/2008 2:02:10 AM   
ctangus

quote:

LST's are the most valuable ships you get they need to be protected

I agree with you there. I was reckless with them at first, but now I'm ticked off if even one gets 20 sys damage.
quote:

If I were to list the biggest avoidable mistakes I have made.

1. I regret Zamboanga
2. I regret Iwo Jima on the run

The others I dont regret.

Zamboanga I regret although it finished the IJN carrier threat it made me stop attacking the PI from the south despite the bases I had in the area.

What I should have done was close and fight a major battle there when my opportunism was kicked in many ways this was decisive I could have been in the PI and forcing PZB to fight on my terms instead I took Malaya and ended up taking the PI from the other side..

2. Iwo Jima - trying to take it on the run I should have known better level 9 forts plus mountain terrain = impregnable I broke the USN for the 3rd time off of Iwo Jima.

Strategically after securing Southern Borneo and Celebes I should have went NE into the PI whatever the cost instead I went to Malaya and took Malaya and SEA which only really lengthened my LOC

I made a similar, if not worse, mistake at Iwo in my '44 game. I now have two corps stranded there and I've lost more CVs than I care to count. Malaya does seem too far out of the way to be worth major effort. The more I play the more I like the PI as a target - there's just too many bases there to be able to defend them all successfully.

quote:

Choices you make 12 months before hurt you in this game its why its so fascinating

Ain't that the truth!

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 2538
RE: Losses - 4/7/2008 4:08:17 AM   
DW

"2. I regret Iwo Jima on the run "

Actually, as I was reading your AAR describing the Iwo Jima campaign, I kept thinking that taking Iwo Jima on the run was a pretty darned good idea.

But, you needed to actually take it on the run as opposed to the last move in a longer campaign.

Your best chance to get Iwo was, as you were hoping, a coup de main.

And, because Iwo is so close to the HI your only real chance to get a coup de main was to attack it so quickly that PZB didn't have time to reinforce it.

When you attacked Wake and Marcus first, you tipped PZB off as to your axis of advance and gave him enough time to rush reinforcements to the island.

While I understand that you wanted Wake and Marcus first as a base for your LBA, in the end it was still your carriers that had to bear the brunt of the air battle.

Your LBA wasn't very effective in the fighting for Iwo, especially once he had reinforced the island.

I think that the additional surprise you'd have gained had you gone for Iwo first, and before he had time to start getting reinforcements together for it, would have more than offset the loss of LBA support that taking Wake and Marcus first allowed for.

If I recall correctly, at the time you had enough assault shipping available for two simultaneous invasion task forces.

You could have kept Wake and Marcus suppressed with your LBA from Midway while your carriers, bombardment groups and one of your invasion task forces rushed in and plastered Iwo.

I don't think you really would have had to worry about PZB rushing massive amounts of reinforcement to either Wake or Marcus once you had invested Iwo. They would have been too far behind his lines to make reinforcement an attractive option.

And, even if he had been inclined to reinforce them, his ability to get reinforcements to those islands was a lot less than his ability to get reinforcements to Iwo was.

Then, after the troops were ashore at Iwo, you could have pulled your carriers back toward a position north of Marcus, replenished them from AEs and AOs, and had them meet up with your second invasion TF for Marcus.

By that time Marcus's air power would have been significantly suppressed and as Marcus is out of range of support form most other Japanese bases, your weakened carrier force would still be able to handle anything he might still have been able to throw at you.

Once the troops were ashore at Marcus, you could then have pulled your carriers back to Midway to replenish while you loaded your Wake invasion force. By this time Wake would be very isolated and heavily suppressed and picking it off would likely have been an easy task.

It may not have worked, but even had it failed it's hard to see how it would have left you in a worse position than you actually ended up in.

And, if it had succeeded... Well... We can all see the implications of that.

Anyway, that's what I was thinking.

Finally, I want to commend both you and your opponent for letting us in on your game.

I read your entire AAR. It's been was a wild ride through an epic struggle and a fascinating read.

To echo other posters, the current level of carnage is simply unbelievable.

I want to thank you for the time you've invested to give people like me so much enjoyment.

And, I really mean that.

Thanks.

P.S.

I think the other poster who said going for the HI is impossible is right. You know you'll hit nothing but lvl 9 forts no matter where you land and his ability to reinforce is so great that unless you took your target within the first two or three days you'd never be able to.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 2539
RE: Losses - 4/7/2008 7:56:39 PM   
Andy Mac

Thanks I agree unfortuantely I am weaker than I was my carriers are in tatters again so I need to think long and hard about my next move

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 2540
RE: Losses - 4/7/2008 9:04:00 PM   
ny59giants

If anything I learned from your AAR is the Allies need to have invasions take place under LBA protection or projection of it. With the weight of 4e bombers, they stand a chance. Iwo was too far away from any LBA being used.

With you CV hurting, I would plan anything else under 4e bombers and, if possible, long range fighter protection. You can use the lower experienced fighters in back water bases gaining experience while your best are in the front lines.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 2541
RE: Losses - 4/8/2008 1:42:01 AM   
DW

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

If anything I learned from your AAR is the Allies need to have invasions take place under LBA protection or projection of it. With the weight of 4e bombers, they stand a chance. Iwo was too far away from any LBA being used.

I think the most important thing I've learned from this, and other AARs is how important it is to pry the Japanese out of the SRA as early as possible.

It's PzB's stockpiles of resources and oil that are allowing him to recoup the terrible losses Andy has inflicted on him and keep coming back for more.

This isn't a criticism of Andy's conduct of the war. By the time he was in a position to apply serious pressure in that direction, PzB had already controlled the SRA for two years or so and had enough resources and oil stockpiled to last him the remainder of the war. While attacking in that direction was still a valid approach, doing so with the strategic goal of denying PzB resources would have been senseless. After all, once PzB had enough, he had enough and it made little difference how large his surplus was.

As to Andy's decision to go for Iwo Jima, I agree that advancing under an LBA umbrella is optimal, but it was already getting so late in the game that going deep was really the best chance he had of getting back to a reasonable timetable. It was a gamble, but the payoff would have been huge. Considering the late date of the game at that point, I think it was worth the risk.

In the end, it wasn't the air battles that stalled the offensive. While it was expensive, Andy won them and got his troops ashore in pretty good shape. It's his inability to win the land battle against a couple thousand AVs sitting behind lvl 9 forts with a terrain bonus that really hurt him, and that's more a flaw in the LC model than Andy's tactics. I think that he could have put every division he had in the Pacific on that island, parked his fleet offshore and bombed it round the clock and it would still take him months and months to win the battle as it proved impossible to prevent PzB reinforced and resupplied it.

There was no way to stop the rush of small task forces and air transport that PzB used to reinforce and resupply the island. Even with complete control of the air and sea around Iwo Jima, they were still able to get through and I don't see what Andy could have done to stop them. In this game he's tried using big task forces to thwart such tactics, he's tried using lots of small task forces and he's tried using air cover. Nothing seems to work. As long as PzB has shipping to burn, which he does at this point in the game, he can afford to send ten supply ships on suicide supply runs to the island in order to allow one to get through. After all, he doesn't need his merchant marine for hauling resources or oil, so he can afford to burn them and that's what he's been doing.

With that in mind, it seems that the only sure way to prevent the Japanese player from reinforcing and resupplying an island in the inner defensive ring is to make sure that they don't have any supplies to send.

quote:

With you CV hurting, I would plan anything else under 4e bombers and, if possible, long range fighter protection. You can use the lower experienced fighters in back water bases gaining experience while your best are in the front lines.

I think everything of value is pretty much within range of 4e bombers now, isn't it?

I'd look for the highest point value targets that PzB can't easily reinforce, and attack them, no matter they are.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Shanghi. LBA could be brought to bear in a significant way. Secondary landings at Soochow and Hangchow can isolate the target from reinforcement by land and there is probably just enough time left in the game to starve it into submission before the game ends.

Hong Kong, while not as valuable in points, is also attractive for similar reasons.

If an attack on the HI is an absolute necessity from a game enjoyment point of view, I'd bite the bullet and dust off the Nagasaki plan that's been discussed here before.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2542
RE: Losses - 4/8/2008 9:26:41 AM   
duckenf

quote:

Thanks I agree unfortuantely I am weaker than I was my carriers are in tatters again so I need to think long and hard about my next move

Then it should really be India and Indochina--you might be able to get some serious points from defeating large troop concentrations in Bombay and Karachi. Maybe a foray to mainland China under the protection of LBA. Just look where the VPs are that you can get. A strat bombing campaign from Amani if possible might also get some points.

How much of your LBA can you use in India?

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 2543
RE: Losses - 4/8/2008 4:00:23 PM   
Andy Mac

Interesting analysis LBA attrition of the Japanese is difficult to achieve if they wont stand and fight without SEAC (which I knew when I took on this game) it is very very hard to attrit Japanese LBA.

Think about how the campaign has worked out

1. Ltd attack to secure New Britain
2. Hydra offensive towards South NG
3. Expanded Hydra towards north NG after KB destroyed
4. Switch to CENTPAC and attacks on Marshalls and Marianas
5. Failure of Mariana Attack after USN pilot pool and Hellcat pool empties.
6. Switch to Celebes/Borneo
7. Exploitation towards PI - defeated
8. Opportunistic grab at Malaya turns into major offensive
9. SEA offensive towards Hue via Bankok with supporting amphib invasions (Draws large amount of Japanese forces out of Luzon)
10. Failure of small North Borneo offensive
11. CENTPAC towards Bonins - hung up on mountainous Iwo Jima - 2nd wipe out of USN and Hellcat pools - USAAF pilot pool exhausted as well
12. Second attempt at Marianas 3rd wipe out of USN and Hellcat pools decision to bypass and go for Luzon
13. SEA Armies land at Manila behind main line of resistance allowing northern Luzon to fall after a hard campaign.
14. Subsidiary attack on India
15. Capture of Ceylon and Madras leads to major Indian offensive by land so I dont need ships and can use LBA but PZB does not engage.
16. Okinawa too hard - hit Apanami instead 4th wipe out of USN and Hellcats.

A few points to note

a. Japan has lost more Reppus and Shindens that I recieve of Hellcats and Corsairs combined. I estimate he must be producing nearly 800 of each per month.......hence my concentration on Mitsibushi engines

b. In stock map you need to capture an AF to use LBA only the P38J and P51 have the range to escort raids to bases where the Japanese have to defend.

c. Unescorted heavy bombers are crucified by defending CAP no matter what altitude they are at

d. In stock Level 9 forts, terrain and the all or nothing nature of AF capture make attacking and capturing bases the alles took historically almost impossible.

e. Until quite recently PZB was ground attack training his fighters and I had no way to intervene - when I was in a position to intervene (from my bases in SEA) after I had paid the price to attrit his AF he cried foul (and to be fair he was correct to do so as I was being opportunitsitic)

So how exactly do I attrit his LBA ? He replaces them with Gd Attack Trained pilots faster than I can, he produces more frames than I do (Only P38J's or carrier air has the range as P51's arrive very late and I only get 5 Sqns of them), I cannot attack anything vital without AF's most of which are mountainous terrain guarded by enough force to stop an insta capture until suicidal ship captains can unload reinforcements

The only place I could possibly have went a different direction was from Borneo to the PI BUT that means taking on lots of supporting AF's with few LR Fighters and he still had masses of troops in the PI so I made the call to go with the line of least resistance - the right call perhaps not but attacking a PI that could have been reinforced AT WILL from the North trying to take places like Manila with all the forces he had available before he diverted them to SEA - NO CHANCE....

The ONLY reason I was able to take Luzon was because I attacked and took Appari 1st at the end of lengthy LOC and because PZB had moved a large portion of his forces to SEA to try and save Bankok/Camranh Bay....

Andy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DW

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I think the most important thing I've learned from this, and other AARs is how important it is to pry the Japanese out of the SRA as early as possible.

It's PzB's stockpiles of resources and oil that are allowing him to recoup the terrible losses Andy has inflicted on him and keep coming back for more.

This isn't a criticism of Andy's conduct of the war. By the time he was in a position to apply serious pressure in that direction, PzB had already controlled the SRA for two years or so and had enough resources and oil stockpiled to last him the remainder of the war. While attacking in that direction was still a valid approach, doing so with the strategic goal of denying PzB resources would have been senseless. After all, once PzB had enough, he had enough and it made little difference how large his surplus was.

As to Andy's decision to go for Iwo Jima, I agree that advancing under an LBA umbrella is optimal, but it was already getting so late in the game that going deep was really the best chance he had of getting back to a reasonable timetable. It was a gamble, but the payoff would have been huge. Considering the late date of the game at that point, I think it was worth the risk.

In the end, it wasn't the air battles that stalled the offensive. While it was expensive, Andy won them and got his troops ashore in pretty good shape. It's his inability to win the land battle against a couple thousand AVs sitting behind lvl 9 forts with a terrain bonus that really hurt him, and that's more a flaw in the LC model than Andy's tactics. I think that he could have put every division he had in the Pacific on that island, parked his fleet offshore and bombed it round the clock and it would still take him months and months to win the battle as it proved impossible to prevent PzB reinforced and resupplied it.

There was no way to stop the rush of small task forces and air transport that PzB used to reinforce and resupply the island. Even with complete control of the air and sea around Iwo Jima, they were still able to get through and I don't see what Andy could have done to stop them. In this game he's tried using big task forces to thwart such tactics, he's tried using lots of small task forces and he's tried using air cover. Nothing seems to work. As long as PzB has shipping to burn, which he does at this point in the game, he can afford to send ten supply ships on suicide supply runs to the island in order to allow one to get through. After all, he doesn't need his merchant marine for hauling resources or oil, so he can afford to burn them and that's what he's been doing.

With that in mind, it seems that the only sure way to prevent the Japanese player from reinforcing and resupplying an island in the inner defensive ring is to make sure that they don't have any supplies to send.

quote:

I think everything of value is pretty much within range of 4e bombers now, isn't it?

I'd look for the highest point value targets that PzB can't easily reinforce, and attack them, no matter they are.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Shanghi. LBA could be brought to bear in a significant way. Secondary landings at Soochow and Hangchow can isolate the target from reinforcement by land and there is probably just enough time left in the game to starve it into submission before the game ends.

Hong Kong, while not as valuable in points, is also attractive for similar reasons.

If an attack on the HI is an absolute necessity from a game enjoyment point of view, I'd bite the bullet and dust off the Nagasaki plan that's been discussed here before.

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 2544
RE: Losses - 4/8/2008 4:30:26 PM   
Speedysteve

quote:

a. Japan has lost more Reppus and Shindens that I recieve of Hellcats and Corsairs combined. I estimate he must be producing nearly 800 of each per month.......hence my concentration on Mitsibushi engines

So how exactly do I attrit his LBA ? He replaces them with Gd Attack Trained pilots faster than I can, he produces more frames than I do (Only P38J's or carrier air has the range as P51's arrive very late and I only get 5 Sqns of them), I cannot attack anything vital without AF's most of which are mountainous terrain guarded by enough force to stop an insta capture until suicidal ship captains can unload reinforcements

This is not a bash at PzB but at the game.........

I kmnow it's been mentioned many a time i've mentioned it before but this irks me immensely.

How on earth can it be justified that the Japanese can outproduce the US in airframes AND pilot quality/numbers of trained pilots

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 2545
RE: Losses - 4/8/2008 5:19:48 PM   
DW

I agree with your analysis.

You took over an game that was almost impossible to win in the amount of time available to you.

I think, in the absence of a series of major mistakes by PzB, you've achieved near the maximum that was possible.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 2546
RE: Losses - 4/8/2008 6:10:41 PM   
Adnan Meshuggi

Being a reader in both threads i will not give any detailed information - but i think that Andys Strategy often was quite risky and sometimes it worked and sometimes not.

Sure, the japanese can outproduce the allied side, something that is not very realistic. On the other hand, this is a pdu-off-game and pzb had a very sucsessfull time (including India...) so his resources and capacity is different from history.

So, if we say the allies should get more planes (hellcats, hellcats hellcats) also the losses for allied ships should have a huge impact. To be honest, i think Andy is a slaughter, he does not care losses. Something the allied HQ and the politicans never had accepted. Nothing wrong for me, but if we ask about the japanese, we should also ask abut the allied esp. the americans. If they loose 20 CVE with 20.000 men because of "we have so much of em" they will kill General Mc-Andy.

In the original game we have way too much problems, the kamikaze-problem, the coordinate-problem, the übercap-problem, the fortifucation-problem, stacking-problem, etc... the list is very long.
but both players have done a great job. I love both aars and i am very interested in the end.

Don't tickle yourself with some moralist crap thinking we have some sort of obligation to help these people. We're there for our self-interest, and anything we do to be 'nice' should be considered a courtesy dweebespit

(in reply to DW)
Post #: 2547
RE: Losses - 4/8/2008 6:14:36 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

quote:

This is not a bash at PzB but at the game.........

I kmnow it's been mentioned many a time i've mentioned it before but this irks me immensely.

How on earth can it be justified that the Japanese can outproduce the US in airframes AND pilot quality/numbers of trained pilots

I agree with you here, though the fact that Japan outproduces the Allied in trained pilots is nothing to blame the game. It´s just a decision Andy made in not doing on map training while PzB is doing it big style. If Andy would have decided to do onmap training he would of course have more 80+ pilots than PzB just because he has more aircraft in sqadrons on the map and he wouldn´t lose as many pilots. But that is being taken care of in AE anyway.

The airframes are another story.

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 2548
RE: Losses - 4/8/2008 7:15:04 PM   
Gen.Hoepner

I gotta say i'm rather scared by these results....in my game with Trollelite things are going as bad as when Wollby was playing here on the allied side...
However Andy did what he could...and considering where he started, he did a great Job against a great opponent.

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 2549
RE: Losses - 4/8/2008 8:13:40 PM   
Andy Mac

Just for clarity not having a go in any way at a great opponent. PZB has done brilliantly and deserves the position he is in.

Re Hellcats - as I have said many times I am shorted over 3,000 from historical production some of which arrive as the NF variant which I have Ltd use of.

Re Pilots I agree I dont do on map pilot training and neither does PZB (more or less) now.

I am not happy about the losses I have taken but the fact is attacking the strength I have my losses have been remarkably light !!!

Lets look at it I have perfomed over 2 dozen contested amphib landings into the teeth of enemy LBA I haven't won all of them but I have won more than I have lost.

Yes I didn't always stop to consolidate but had I done so the next level would be massively reinforced.

e.g Malaya when my paras took Malacca I had to go for it whatever the cost because to have waited would have allowed PZB to get more men behind the forts.

This is the problem stopping to consolidate ends up allowing your opponent to dig in and prepare something that kills any offensive.

Andy

(in reply to Gen.Hoepner)
Post #: 2550
Page:   <<   < prev  83 84 [85] 86 87   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Losses Page: <<   < prev  83 84 [85] 86 87   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI