Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DCG questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> DCG questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DCG questions - 4/8/2008 10:57:40 AM   
Drongo

I played the original games extensively some years ago.

My favourite games were with the DCG.

Initially however, I found them hard to appreciate as the DCG's starting AI deployments were too illogical for my tastes, as were the randomly generated maps (roads starting and ending nowhere, towns in the middle of unbroken forests, etc).

To minimise these issues, I would edit the campaign battle immediately after the DCG generated it. To edit it, I would change the file extension so that the system recognised it as a stand alone battle and since stand alone battles were editable, I could then fix the deployment and map problems through the battle editor. I would then change the file extension back to that of a campaign battle. The DCG would then allow me to play it. (I hope this makes sense, it's been a while since I played.)

I have no idea if there were better ways of doing this but that method allowed me to keep an interest in playing the game for a considerable length of time.

Since I no longer have the original games, I was seriously considering purchasing this current one.

Do the DCGs still have that same (IMO) "chaotic" AI deployment and map layout as the original?

If so, would my original (or some better alternative) method of tidying things up still work with the new version?

Thanks for any help.

Have no fear,
drink more beer.
Post #: 1
RE: DCG questions - 4/8/2008 2:14:38 PM   
Grell

Hi Drongo,

I own both the original and the Matrix games version and on both random maps I noticed the roads ending in the middle of nowhere. I have not seen towns in the middle of forests ever.

I do not know if you can change the file extension to edit a random map as I've never tried that sorry.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to Drongo)
Post #: 2
RE: DCG questions - 4/8/2008 5:48:59 PM   
countblue

AFAIK your approach to the DCG edit should work with the matrix version as well.
I cant recall a feature in the original talonsoft game thats not in the Matrix version now.
So everything should be the same, almost.

Except for the enhanced OOB Editor, in the Matrix Version you will find units which are not available in Talonsofts original.

Again AFAIK. ;-)

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 3
RE: DCG questions - 4/8/2008 5:54:00 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: countblue

AFAIK your approach to the DCG edit should work with the matrix version as well.
I cant recall a feature in the original talonsoft game thats not in the Matrix version now.
So everything should be the same, almost.

Except for the enhanced OOB Editor, in the Matrix Version you will find units which are not available in Talonsofts original.

Again AFAIK. ;-)

You are correct!

Jason Petho

(in reply to countblue)
Post #: 4
RE: DCG questions - 4/8/2008 5:59:36 PM   
Drongo

Thanks to all.

Can now look forward to the game.

Cheers

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> DCG questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI