Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Don't ya just hate it when.....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Don't ya just hate it when..... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Don't ya just hate it when..... - 3/19/2002 7:53:16 AM   
sg

In MC-W, you're creeping through the jungle 1 or 2 hexes at a time, being really careful, and your best infantry unit walks right into 2 enemy squads and gets wiped out without firing a single shot! Man, I hate when that happens!:mad: But I keep coming back for more.:D This game has earned a permanent spot on my hdd.

Well, back to the jungle.
Steve.

Anybody else got a favorite "Don't ya hate it when..."?
Post #: 1
- 3/19/2002 8:49:37 AM   
Fallschirmjager

When they shoot at me.....everything goes straight to hell when they do that.....

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 2
Re: Don't ya just hate it when..... - 3/19/2002 9:38:31 AM   
Mojo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sg
[B]...... "Don't ya hate it when..."? [/B][/QUOTE]

That one freaking T 34 takes 6 hits from two Tigers 4 hexes away and then kills both Tigers with one shot a piece on the next turn.:eek:

My T34s can't do that.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 3
- 3/19/2002 9:39:02 AM   
Redleg

I'd like to know more about this - game version. Scenario. Settings, Nations, etc.

I have never seen this happen, but there are many things I haven't seen. LOL

In the jungle, huh?

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 4
Re: Don't ya just hate it when..... - 3/19/2002 9:45:40 AM   
Bernie

[B]In MC-W, you're creeping through the jungle 1 or 2 hexes at a time, being really careful, and your best infantry unit walks right into 2 enemy squads and gets wiped out without firing a single shot! Man, I hate when that happens!:mad: But I keep coming back for more.:D This game has earned a permanent spot on my hdd.

Well, back to the jungle.
Steve.

Anybody else got a favorite "Don't ya hate it when..."? [/B][/QUOTE]

When you pound the same position for four turns straight with two companies of Hummels, two batteries of 105mm, two batteries of 150mm, and two batteries of rockets and the minute your first unit moves into the area a dozen infantry squads pop up and blow them away.

Or when three different snipers all take double shots at the same infantry squad standing on the top of a hill three hexes away, with hit %'s of 80+ and they all miss.:eek:

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 5
- 3/19/2002 10:37:40 AM   
Drex

I hate it when I spend a number of turns sneaking around behind a Tiger with my Sherman and get a beautiful rear shot, then the shell bounces off! then the Tiger turns my way and I say my prayers.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 6
- 3/19/2002 11:13:02 AM   
tracer

Or when you have a pretty good turn, hover your mouse over the 'end turn' button, then decide you should move that Tiger one hex forward...[insert expletive here]!

Jim NSB

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 7
- 3/19/2002 11:40:44 AM   
Mojo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tracer
[B]Or when you have a pretty good turn, hover your mouse over the 'end turn' button, then decide you should move that Tiger one hex forward...[insert expletive here]! [/B][/QUOTE]

Didn't they make a movie about that? A Hex Too Far?

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 8
- 3/19/2002 12:54:06 PM   
troopie

You've just cleared a hill driving most of a company off with one platoon and an armoured car, you let down your guard, go behind the hill, and you lose the AC and half the platoon to one skeleton rifle section and a heavy machinegun.

troopie

Attachment (1)

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 9
- 3/19/2002 1:51:48 PM   
White Phosphorus

When I send my Japanese scout team to kill a chinese sniper, and end up fighting several melee rounds with no effect. Next turn the sniper kills all my four men in just one melee round.

/queue kungfu movies music, and obligatory matrix shot

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 10
Re: Don't ya just hate it when..... - 3/19/2002 2:00:11 PM   
wulfir

[B]Anybody else got a favorite "Don't ya hate it when..."? [/B][/QUOTE]

I hate the mis – click…

…I’ve just moved my favourite unit a couple of hexes and decide to click on the scout far forward but Oh the horror I miss and what happens??:eek:

The favourite unit breaks cover and heads away into the valley of death – not a care in the world. And gets blown apart!:mad:

Oh well, casualties of war they tell me…

Semper in Primis

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 11
- 3/19/2002 8:51:41 PM   
Dogmeat

What I hate is when my planes mistake my units for the bad guys and bomb the crap out them. Too bad I can't order my AA to fire warning shots at the near-sighted pilot. :)

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 12
- 3/19/2002 9:06:31 PM   
mao

When I accidentally (usually late at night when I am tired) use the end game instead of end turn button...

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 13
- 3/19/2002 9:32:51 PM   
Bing

When I am tired I sometimes click for movement, when I ought to be getting off the unit icon and right clicking elsewhere.

My unit leaves cover, runs out in the open and is cut to pieces by those MG's that are supposed to do nothing but suppress.

Bing

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 14
late 88 - 3/19/2002 9:53:20 PM   
robot

5 squads of engineers are behind pill box have been for 3 turns droppin satchel and flame on them. Figure there all under there beds crying move 88 up to take it out in line of sight of course and all of a sudden met with fresh crew i assume. 1/2 the crew of 88 goes to there maker and start the same process over again

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 15
- 3/19/2002 10:22:07 PM   
lnp4668

When your ammo dump go boom with all your artillery in it:mad:

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 16
- 3/19/2002 10:30:19 PM   
AlvinS

My uncanny ability to step on every mine in a Wild Bill scenario. :D Or when you run 3 units through a hex and then BLAM!!! the fourth one hits a mine.

How does he do that?:rolleyes:

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 17
- 3/20/2002 3:04:02 AM   
chief

I hate it when I've placed a squad in a stone house next to a squad in a wooden house, they duke it out and the stone house loses.....block piercing bullets and rubber bullets??????:mad: :( :cool:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 18
Cheap Auxiliaries - 3/20/2002 3:15:22 AM   
SeppDietrich

I'm defending in a campaign, the fight is in North Africa, and I need more men. So, I get Italians. Foolish foolish me, I have no choice but to put them on a flank, because to put them anywhere else could result in the total collapse of the line. Massive losses ensue, almost the entire Italian Contingent is wiped out, and yet somehow the enemy does not exploit this. Maybe I should try Rumanians...or Hungarians...because Eye-talians ain't working.

PS: Absolutely NO offense meant to those Italians who often grace these boards. Like a German Officer said on [url]www.feldgrau.com,[/url] the italians were good fighters, they just had bad morale and bad officers.

Il fallimento di comunicare? Non penso di sì. Il fallimento all'EXCOMMUNICATE!

Biasimarlo sugli ufficiali. Tadeln Sie es auf den Offiziern. Das ist was den ich sage.

"To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself."

-Sun Tzu

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 19
- 3/20/2002 4:01:57 AM   
ZinZan

All of the above :D :D

But especially :

1) Wild Bill's (mines I swear they are telepathic, they move once you have decided where to go.)

2) Moving a unit by accident.

3) A new one, advancing my tanks too much at the end of a scenario (because i think I've cleared all his INF and get careless)

ZinZan <br/> Peace is an extension of war by political means. Plenty of elbow room is pleasanter - and much safer. <br/> Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love by Robert Heinlein.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 20
- 3/20/2002 10:08:09 PM   
tracer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mojo
[B]

Didn't they make a movie about that? A Hex Too Far? [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL :D

The sad truth is that exact situation happened in a PBEM turn a few minutes before I posted that message :mad:

Jim NSB

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 21
- 3/21/2002 1:47:30 AM   
Belisarius

Definetily (sp? ..whatever..) when you have a unit selected, and then start to scroll around the battlefield a bit, and discover a unit FAR away, and decides to select that one, to move it... and BARELY misses it with the cursor... :mad: ...and the aforementioned unit promptly darts at top speed across the battlefield (to the latter unit, as you klicked to move it there :rolleyes: ). Result: one unit riddled full of holes.

Ofcourse this only happens when you have a valuable unit selected. :D

Otherwise, it's the One Hex Too Far story... "hmm I wonder if that street is really deserted? I better take a quick lo-*KABOOM*"

Got StuG?

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 22
- 3/21/2002 3:34:25 AM   
MarkFroio

I hate it when none of the above happens. That means I haven't been able to play for 3-4 days and I start going through withdrawals. The index finger on my right hand starts moving uncontrolably. No wonder my wife and kids think that I'm weird.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 23
- 3/21/2002 12:46:33 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

When you have a unit commander who has a boatload of kills and is in command of an expert unit after many battles, and his unit drives into an infantry assault and gets snuffed!

Eric Maietta

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 24
- 3/21/2002 3:00:53 PM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Don't you just hate it when...[/QUOTE]

It's 4am, you got up to use the bathroom and can't sleep. So you slip on your headphones and fire up the Panthers for another assault on the Soviet lines. Shells are whistling in your ears, the clatter of machine guns reverberate through the fields, and your gaze is intent on your recon unit probing the left flank and starting to come under fire. And then...

Out of the darkness a hand lands on your shoulder scaring the **** out of you! You spill your milk on the keyboard, your lemon pie becomes one with the monitor screen and the cat that has been sleeping peacefully on your lap suddenly anchors herself with 20 razor sharp talons to the nether reaches of your lower anatomy through your PJ's as you try to leap to your feet, ripping the headphones off just in time to hear your girlfriend/wife/SO say, "Can't sleep honey?"

I really hate it when that happens...

What, me worry?

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 25
- 3/21/2002 5:10:48 PM   
Damon

I have no personal experienses that kind of things.. no... :D
Only one crewman did destroy my Tiger... :mad:

Fiducia virorum in sinistra non in dextra est.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 26
- 3/21/2002 11:58:01 PM   
Kaakao

When a Sherman's round penetrates the armor of my last tiger from distance :mad:

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 27
- 3/22/2002 12:24:37 AM   
Dan Bozza

When you spend the first half of a campaign leaving your command unit safely in the rear to avoid air attack, and deciding the air activity hasn't been strong enough to justify keeping your commander out of the battles, so why not bring him up close this one time, and seeing four typhoons decend upon your troops, the one that has decided to attack your commander is of course armed with a daisy cutter and laser guidance, and proceeds to wipe out your command unit to the man in one pass. Gotta love it!

"Why do you keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it means."

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 28
- 3/22/2002 12:42:57 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

Dan Bozza posted:

". . . seeing four typhoons decend upon your troops, the one that has decided to attack your commander is of course armed with a daisy cutter and laser guidance, and proceeds to wipe out your command unit to the man in one pass."

Just as frustrating is when you're kampfgruppe is doing fairly well when a few KV1s or KV2s show up. You call up your Luftwaffe support to turn the 'KV's into 'Killed Vehicles', and the fly-boy in the Stuka decides to go after one of your AFVs instead of the Soviet units and blows up one of your best unit commanders! (Has happened to me a couple of times.) Makes one wonder just how thorough the Luftaffe's eye exams are for qualifying their pilots. :rolleyes:

Eric Maietta

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 29
- 3/22/2002 8:33:02 AM   
panda124c

Your second and last AT gun BREAKS and the Soviets Tank Assualt is only 10 hexs away.

(in reply to sg)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Don't ya just hate it when..... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI