Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What everyone should have in their library of games.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What everyone should have in their library of games. Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/7/2008 12:22:52 AM   
Zap

Been playing strictly WWII. I want to diversify. I would like to have a list BESTgames that everyone should have in his/her library.
No first person shooters. Games I can play against the computer.

Under Sci Fi- what should I own

Role Playing Games

Pre WWII
I own Forge of Freedom.

Other Catgagories What else should be considered.

Post #: 1
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/7/2008 12:40:36 AM   
Phatguy

Well, I'd go Guns of August for pre wwII, X-com for sci-fi and planescape/baldurd gate for rpg.

Lotro for mmorp

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 2
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/7/2008 12:41:16 AM   
Terminus

And KOTOR I/II for RPG as well.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 3
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/7/2008 12:43:15 AM   
SireChaos

Well... two of the best games ever made - maybe *the* two best games ever made - are Star Control II and X-COM UFO Defense. I suppose both fall under the heading of Science Fiction.

BTW, Star Control II is available for free, I forgot where, as "The Ur-Quan Masters".

No other game can really compare to these two, but there are quite a few that are nonetheless really good.
If you´re interested in role-playing games at all, I think you will like Oblivion; even its predecessor, Morrowind, is still pretty good.
In the empire management genre, take a look at the Civilization series; personally, I cannot make up my mind if the third or fourth installment is better.

And if you can get them, and have a means of playing them, there are some truly ancient* games that are still quite cool... the original Civilization, the original Masters of Orion and its first successor, the original Populous and its first successor, Colonization, Masters of Magic... maybe some of the Role-Playing Game classics, such as the Ultima series (parts 5 and 6 in particular), the Wizardry series (parts 6 and 7 in particular)... on the other hand, why listen to an old fart like me waxing nostalgic?

* "truly ancient" is relative here; X-COM and Star Control II are both from the early 90´s, and most of the "truly ancient" games are not that much older.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 4
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/7/2008 12:47:48 AM   
TonyAAA

Some of these are older, but you said some of the best, non-FPS, non-WWII games....These are some of my favorites. I'm assuming PC only, no-console games.

Civilization --- grand strategy? ....hard to classify
X-Com UFO Defense --- Sci Fi strategy
Empire Deluxe EE --- absract wargame
The Operational Art of War --- lwargame--some WWII as it covers war from the last 100 or so years
Oblivion + Morrowwind --- (1st/3rd person selectable, but RPGs)
Diablo 1 +2 --- Action/RPG
Baldur's Gate 1+2 --- RPG
Fallout 1+2 --- Sci Fi RPG
Harpoon--all versions --- Real-time tactical
Falcon 4.0 Allied Force --- realistic flight sim

< Message edited by Tony_A -- 4/7/2008 12:51:18 AM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 5
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/7/2008 1:38:07 AM   
Mac67

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Grand Theft Auto:San Andreas. The most fun I have had on a pc that didn't involve naked girls

"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

The Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 6
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/7/2008 2:58:43 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

Been playing strictly WWII. I want to diversify. I would like to have a list BESTgames that everyone should have in his/her library.

quote:

Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri + expansion Alien Crossfire
X-Com Defender and Terror
Master of Orion II
GalCiv II
Renegade Legionaire Interceptor
Star Control II
Starflight II

quote:

Role Playing Games

Daggerfall-Morrowind-Oblivion
Neverwinter Nights (1st one by bioware)
Dialbo 2
Titans Quest

quote:

Pre WWII
I own Forge of Freedom.

Mad Minutes Bull Run and 2nd Manassas
Medieval Total War origional + XL mod
Tin Soldiers: J. Caesar
Crusader Kings + Dues Vult (whenever they get Dues Vult fixed)

quote:

Fantasy:
Master of Magic
War of the Lance
Dominions III
Warlords III & IV with 1.04a patch
S.A.C.R.I.F.I.C.E. (rts but not like other rts no micro managing)
Sid Meiers Railroad Tycoon (the 1990-91 version)
1830 Railroads & Robber Barons by Avalon Hill pc game

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 4/9/2008 12:26:15 AM >

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 7
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/7/2008 9:50:19 PM   
mikul82

The Holy Trinity of RPGs, Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Planescape: Torment.  PS:T may be seriously off-putting at first due to the bizarre setting and less familiar game mechanics (you sort of "create" your character as you go along by what you do in the game, as opposed to everything right at first), but this is one amazing game once you get past the initial weirdness, although it does have that god awful "Real Time with Pause!" half-assery of a combat system from the Baldur's Gate games.  It's worth putting up with though ;)

Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 were fun as well, and had much better storylines than the awful 3 most recent Star Wars movies IMO.  Be sure to get the fan made finishing job done on KOTOR 2 (it's free online), which was rushed out way before it was finished. 

Depths of Peril: Really fun indie game similar to Diablo but with new twists, not just a "Diablo clone".

Civilization Series (I like them all, currently just playing Civ IV w/ it's add ons)

The Slitherine games (Gates of Troy, Spartan, Chariots of War- Legion Arena is also fun but not a grand scale strategy game)

Warlords 2 and 3 (never played 4)

Europa Barbarorum mod for Rome: Total War- IMO, RTW was a truly horrible game out of the box, but Europa Barbarorum has turned it into one of my favorite games, and actually put some honest to goodness challenge back into the game as well. It's like an ancient history nerd's heaven of a mod.  www.europabarbarorum.com 

Master of Orion 2

Galactic Civilizations 2

Mount and Blade- The best Medieval combat game ever made IMO!  Assuming you like any action-oriented games.

The Gabriel Knight games- old Sierra point and click adventure games, although I don't think it's possible to get the first one (of three) working in WinXP (or Vista) at all.

The Great Battles series (Alexander, Hannibal, and Caesar): My favorite ancient wargames, not all that easy to get running in WinXP for me either, although some people have had no trouble at all.  These are the only ancient wargames I've ever played that give a real sense of the huge scale of some of the battles depicted!

Space Rangers 2: Sort of like Sid Meier's Pirates in space.  Really, really addictive. 

Jagged Alliance 2 for not quite as good as X-Com squad based tactical fun.

< Message edited by mlc82 -- 4/9/2008 1:26:33 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 8
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/7/2008 10:25:13 PM   
Hertston

quote:

Been playing strictly WWII. I want to diversify.

Under Sci Fi-

GalCiv 2 ( '4X' with some of the best AI in the business)
Sins of a Solar Empire. Half '4X', half RTS.
Sword of the Stars & Born of Blood expansion ('4X' with tactical combat)
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (if you can find it. Shamefully under-exposed, gorgeous looking, plot driven tactical game with lots of BIG spaceships hurling electric death at each other.)
Starfleet Command 2 (or Orion Pirates), if you can find it/them. A creditable real-time translation of Star Fleet Battles and the only decent Star Trek computer game. Ever.
Armageddon Empires (post apocalyptic TBS)

Role Playing Games

For single player there can be only two, Morrowind and it's successor Oblivion (with their expansions). The box set of Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics is also worth getting.

Pre WWII

Post WW2 is far more fun. However,

Take Command: 2nd Mannassas. Arguably THE best non-WW2 wargame of any description.
Birth of America (wait for the incoming new version). Still more fun than either AGEOD's ACW or Nappy games, although both are excellent.
Tin Soldiers: Caesar (or Alexander)

Other Catagories What else should be considered.

Dominions 3 (fantasy '4X')
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic (if you can find it.. fantasy TBS, MUCH better than the HoMM series).
Darwinia (pretty much indescribable retro strategy thingie)
Dangerous Waters (modern naval sim.. now criminally low priced from assorted DtD retailers)
Kohan 2. Company of Heroes excepted, my favourite RTS.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 4/7/2008 10:36:42 PM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 9
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/7/2008 10:35:53 PM   
Monkeys Brain

Role Playing Games

Best is Betrayal at Krondor. Not a one RPG come close to that classic.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 10
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/8/2008 10:29:04 PM   
SLAAKMAN

I dare you all to enter my Starcraft Broodwars-Armageddon pet map!!

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Monkeys Brain)
Post #: 11
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/8/2008 10:43:15 PM   
cdbeck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mac67

quote:

Grand Theft Auto:San Andreas. The most fun I have had on a pc that didn't involve naked girls

With the Hot Coffee mod, this became a false statement.

I'm actually playing it right now, and I would concur. Other than the save system, the game is quite good. I would also add Sword of the Stars, Warhammer 40K Dawn of War, Galactic Civilization, and Neverwinter Nights 2 to the mix.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Mac67)
Post #: 12
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/8/2008 10:49:29 PM   
V22 Osprey

Star Wars Empire at War(With Expansion Pack)Sci-Fi Strategy
Not in to RPGs;
American Conquest(Complete Series)-Pre WW2
Locomotion or Railroad Tycoon-Strategy

Well,all my games are strategy,except for star Wars Battlefront 2.I dont play FPS games because I actually like use my mind rather than sit there just pressing buttons.Star Was battlefront 2 was an exception-That game rocks

< Message edited by V22 Osprey -- 4/8/2008 10:50:57 PM >

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 13
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/8/2008 10:59:02 PM   
V22 Osprey

Oh no,how could I forget about SPWAW?That should be the first game in your library.

SPWAW.....forgive me

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 14
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/9/2008 12:21:40 AM   
ravinhood

Star Wars Battlefront 2 suked! ;) I did ok in the tutorial, but, when I got out there to play in the real world I got shot to pieces and my AI bot buddies were no help at all. It was like ME vs the EMPIRE or I fought the law and the law won. ;) Besides he said NO FPSers! ;) And no WW2 games chances are 99.9% he already has SPWAW. ;) He's wanting to diversify into other catagories besides WW2 and apparently doesn't like FPSers at all which I don't either really. ;)

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 4/9/2008 12:30:27 AM >

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 15
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/9/2008 12:46:23 AM   
V22 Osprey

Wat is your problem?I gave him some good Titles so shut up.The whole point of Star Wars Battlefront is yes to be the best,but if you notice you're a frontline clonetrooper.Even expierenced players are goin to die.Besides it's more of a third person based game anyway.

Back to the subject,another pre-WW2 title(To make this butthead called ravinhood happy) is cossacks 2,Age of Empires 3 with Expansion Pack is good,World of War craft is also good although like I said I'm not into that genre.If you want post WW2,SPMBT,ah,Tom Clancy's EndWar-RTS(I dont think it's out yet) World in Conflict is good.

< Message edited by V22 Osprey -- 4/9/2008 12:48:31 AM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 16
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/9/2008 1:01:57 AM   
KG Erwin

For space games, I can recommend the original "Galactic Civilizations". Good AI in that one. It's tough to win. For the ancients, the Great Battles of Alexander/Hannibal/Caesar are worth seeking out.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 17
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/9/2008 1:15:59 AM   
Mac67

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort
quote:

With the Hot Coffee mod, this became a false statement.

I should have made that real live naked girls.

"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

The Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 18
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/9/2008 1:26:14 AM   
Goblin

GalCiv/GalCiv2 fan here too. Good space era game.

Goblin

(in reply to Mac67)
Post #: 19
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 7:41:06 AM   
Zap

Herston, downloaded the Sins of Solar Empire. Seems it has compatibility issues with my ATI graphics card. I'm still trying to fix the problems caused. The game worked after my ATI graphic center took a dump. I hope I can resolve the problem. The game looks great.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 20
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 7:44:50 AM   
Zap

Everyone thank you. I have down loaded the demos that are available. What site has the good prices for the games that are availble? The Ur Quan Masters site was mentioned above anywhere else?

< Message edited by Zap -- 4/10/2008 7:56:16 AM >

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 21
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 7:52:53 AM   
Zap

V22 Osprey

Thanks, I do have SPWAW been playing it regularly for the last 3 years. Also Have SPMBT.

I wanted to derviersify. I knew that this was the right place to get information on the best of the catagories I mentioned.
And now I can focus on those games mentioned. Looking forward to some good gaming

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 22
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 1:21:07 PM   
Balthazar Gerards

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

I gave him some good Titles so shut up. . . (To make this butthead called ravinhood happy)

Wow! Could you please express yourself in a more moderate, polite way? The fact that you're just coming around the corner age-wise and on this forum makes it a tad more annoying. You might have a quarrel with Ravinhood, but he's not calling you names, is he? Besides, Ravinhood is almost allways right, when it comes to games, though I agree he sometimes becomes a bit too repetitive when he wants to make his point.

On topic.
Pre WWII: Look! It's right under your nose! Frank Hunter's Guns of August! A superb game with some excellent graphic mods for those who also want a looker.

I also strongly would advise you to have a try with the Western Civilisation games: CoG & FoF (also matrix gems).

Best of luck.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 23
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 4:55:25 PM   
V22 Osprey

quote:

Ravinhood is almost allways right,

Yea,right.I dont give worth a dam wether he knows everything or not.And Star wars battlefront 2 was made as 3rd Person shooter so actually I wasnt off topic.It is not a FPS.Now you have made me pissed off.

quote:

but he's not calling you names, is he?

You dont have to call someone a name to be an a*shole.

(in reply to Balthazar Gerards)
Post #: 24
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 6:03:13 PM   
Grell

quote:

Master of Orion 2

quote:

Role Playing Games

Oblivion, The Witcher
quote:

Pre WWII
I own Forge of Freedom.

Matrix Games John Tiller's Battleground Civil War
quote:

Dominions III

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 25
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 6:32:01 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

quote:

Yea,right.I dont give worth a dam wether he knows everything or not.And Star wars battlefront 2 was made as 3rd Person shooter so actually I wasnt off topic.It is not a FPS.Now you have made me pissed off.

quote:

but he's not calling you names, is he?

But, in your case.......... ;)

Folks meet "Son of Judge Dredd" (or perhaps JD himself in disquise) lmao.

quote:

Now you have made me pissed off.

Lol Balthazar you have made him pissed off. lmao

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 4/10/2008 7:50:22 PM >

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 26
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 6:52:06 PM   
cdbeck

Oh yes, Dominions 3 is very good and everyone should own it.

For decent prices, try Gogamer.com, or Chris's NWS Shop. Both have great prices, good shipping, and pleasant customer service.

Sword of the Stars is available on Gamersgate, as is the Witcher (but you should just order it from Gogamer.com to get the uncensored version). Note, I prefer Neverwinter Nights 2 to The Witcher, and I did not much care for The Witcher's combat (click... wait... click...).

Guns of August is tons of fun, but a tad hardcore. If you like TOAW, then you will like GoA. For pre-WWII, I have heard good things about HPS Ancient Warfare series, For Liberty!, Napoleon in Italy, and Birth of America. I have AGEOD's American Civil War, it is a good game but I get just a bit bogged down in it. That being said, it rivals FoF in playability, simplicity, and scope.

What type of RPG do you like? Here are some of my picks, in different genres:

Action RPG
Titan's Quest Gold (although I have compatiblity issues with it)
Guild Wars (MMORPG with NO monthly fee, plays like Diablo)
Depths of Peril (Indie Diablo clone with some great play mechanics)
Sacred Gold
Space Rangers 2 (terrible translation, but a great game)
Dungeon Runner (Completely free Diablo-clone from ncSoft)
Mythos (Completely free Diablo-clone, but may require Beta invite as of now)

"Traditional" RPG
Oblivion (or Morrowind, which I actually find to be superior)
Neverwinter Nights 2
Knights of the Old Republic
Planescape Torment (there is a mod out there that allows you to play this in higher resolution)
World of Warcraft OR Lord of the Rings Online (MMORPG's with monthly cost, so YMMV - despite all the "haters" both are great games and provide HOURS of fun)
The Avernum Series (old school RPG)

I also think that everyone should give some lesser known games a try:
1701 AD (City builder and trade sim)
Armageddon Empires (this is in bold because it is so freaking awesome, mix of Magic the Gathering and Warhammer table-top)
Darwinia and/or Defcon (Introversions sleeper indie hits)
Mount & Blade (soon to get a Paradox full release, a medieval RPG/war sim)
Puzzle Quest (and awesome Bejeweled based RPG puzzle game, also in bold for coolness)

I didn't even LIST Matrix games, as it is self-evident that many of these are worth buying.

SoM

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 27
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 7:43:14 PM   
ravinhood

quote:

quote:

How the hell do you win that car jumping contest with the mexicans? I can't get past that part damnit! lol I wish they would just keep it to shooting and chasing I can do ok in those, but, these damn car hoppings and dancing steps and stupid stuff like that are rediculous. I had the same problem in Vice City when I got to the model helicopter mission. I never got past that one. lol I just want to shoot and scoot not play dancing king or remote control helicopters. :)

quote:

Guild Wars (MMORPG with NO monthly fee, plays like Diablo)

But, you sure don't get DROPS in it like Diablo. If you play in normal mode you might as well not play at all. The drops are horrible now in normal mode. I liked it better before they divided normal and made it into normal and hard mode. Worst drop rate and drops I've ever seen in any rpg both online and off since they changed it.

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 4/10/2008 7:47:02 PM >

(in reply to Mac67)
Post #: 28
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 7:50:56 PM   
cdbeck

Woah, I did not hear that about GW (and I haven't played in a while). You don't have to pay for Hard mode, do you?

SoM

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 29
RE: What everyone should have in their library of games. - 4/10/2008 8:33:29 PM   
Balthazar Gerards

quote:

quote:

And Star wars battlefront 2 was made as 3rd Person shooter so actually I wasnt off topic.It is not a FPS.

Well, that may be but that was not my point. My point was the way you express yourself.
Maybe I shouldn't make that remark about Ravinhood being almost allways right (in mine opinion), I just wanted to let you know that he's quite a character (I think) and that you should take that into consideration before you lose yourself in to ranting.

quote:

Now you have made me pissed off.

I'm sorry to hear that. I could offer you my apologies, but instead I think I'm gonna use it as an example bout what I meant about the way you express your emotions.

quote:

You are right about that. On the other hand: I prefer an a*shole who doesn't call names anytime over an a*shole who does.

EDIT: Apologies to the other thread readers and writers for going off topic. I realize I shouldn't have done so.

ZAP: I should have read your posts more carefully; you allready own FoF, I'm wondering whether you like it. To me the mix of strategy and tactical battles is very engrossing.

< Message edited by Balthazar Gerards -- 4/10/2008 8:52:47 PM >

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What everyone should have in their library of games. Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI