Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/10/2008 1:29:57 AM   
marcusm

Maybe not the best place to ask but I ask anyway because I also
wonder if any of the Matrixgames quit working after SP1? Or were before.

I have XP on my laptop currently but Vista is also there in the "F11 backup".
I hated Vista so much I went through quite a bit just to put XP back.

Post #: 1
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/10/2008 3:16:06 AM   
Bossy573

No noticeable difference here. I already tweaked Vista silly and it was rock solid on my desktop. On my lappy I went to XP Tablet but that wasn't MS's fault, it was Lenovo's for crappy restoration programming.

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 2
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/10/2008 9:40:32 PM   
Jeffrey H.

I hear Bill Gates announced that some new version of Windows will be available next year......If true that stops my plans to buy a laptop cold.

(in reply to Bossy573)
Post #: 3
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/10/2008 9:52:29 PM   
Gem35

Vista can come out with 10 service packs and I still will never buy that OS.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 4
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/10/2008 9:55:06 PM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

I hear Bill Gates announced that some new version of Windows will be available next year......If true that stops my plans to buy a laptop cold.

It won't be available next year (2009), perhaps 2010 if you're lucky, 2011 is a better bet.
Many people misunderstood the statements Gates made concerning what's next.

Flipper

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 5
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/11/2008 12:38:40 AM   
panzers

He is now on my ahole list because I got screwed by his stupid vista. He should have stuck with what was working just fine. I have nothing but problem after problem with that OS. When I went to Circuit city to have vista replaced by xp, they said that Bill made all the new computers so that it could not be accessable to any other OS including xp, so I'm stuck with this ****.

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 6
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/11/2008 12:44:28 AM   
Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzers

He is now on my ahole list because I got screwed by his stupid vista. He should have stuck with what was working just fine. I have nothing but problem after problem with that OS. When I went to Circuit city to have vista replaced by xp, they said that Bill made all the new computers so that it could not be accessable to any other OS including xp, so I'm stuck with this ****.

WHo told you that?
Tell the little pencil neck at Circuit City he is wrong.
You can easily change Vista for XP yourself.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 7
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/11/2008 12:44:48 AM   
marcusm

Well. My main question was actually whether SP1 made any difference.
My desk neighbour at work claims it did. But he has 4 gigs and now that Vista
apparently recognizes all 4 he saw some difference.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 8
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/11/2008 12:52:28 AM   
Gem35

you can use up to 16gb of RAM with Vista, which of course loves to waste it.

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 9
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/11/2008 12:59:17 AM   
panzers

I guess that's just another example of a salesman who will stop at nothing to get his sale. Guess I'm gonna have to call on him on that one. Thanks Gem35.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 10
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/11/2008 1:19:12 AM   
marcusm

There is a catch though. The new HP laptops has SATA drivers lacking in
XP installation cd.s. You have to manually slipstream. Wasn't that painful but I hated
the fact that you had to do it. Force feeding crap on people like that.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 11
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/11/2008 3:15:55 PM   
Meta Baston

quote:

I don't agree. And if so, it can't be done "easily". Also, it depends on computer bought.

MB

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 12
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/11/2008 3:48:25 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

Vista can come out with 10 service packs and I still will never buy that OS.

amen! I'm staying with XP and Ubuntu, will give Bill Gates last chance with Windows 7 after that Ubuntu only...

< Message edited by Peter Fisla -- 4/11/2008 3:51:17 PM >

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 13
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/11/2008 11:08:29 PM   
sabre100

No speed increast all Vista SP1 or not is useless in IMO the OS looks nice but is horrible and bloatware.  Windows Vista is quickly becoming the Windows ME release if you all recall that version!  Windows ME failed as well and even Microsoft is embarrased of it until Windows 2000 came out that fixed everything Windows ME broke.   Then Windows XP which is IMO the best OS Microsoft has ever released they are already quickly talking about Windows 7 as if they are trying to cover Vista and how bad it is.... very similar as it was with Windows ME quickly cover it up and talk about the next version which at that time was going to be Windows 2000.

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 14
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/11/2008 11:11:44 PM   
Joram

No noticeable speed increase though my "performance index" went up slightly.

(in reply to sabre100)
Post #: 15
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/11/2008 11:49:18 PM   
Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meta Baston

quote:

I don't agree. And if so, it can't be done "easily". Also, it depends on computer bought.

MB

My 13 yr old daughter can open a cd/dvd rom drive, slip in the installation disk and follow the on screen prompts.
As long as a computer has the minimum requirements for XP then it is simple to install.

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Meta Baston)
Post #: 16
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/12/2008 3:16:32 AM   
Bossy573

quote:

When I went to Circuit city to have vista replaced by xp, they said that Bill made all the new computers so that it could not be accessable to any other OS including xp, so I'm stuck with this ****.

This is simply not true.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 17
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/12/2008 11:35:31 PM   
NefariousKoel

I updated to SP1 and my graphically punishing game performance improved a bit.

For instance, I didn't change the gfx settings on my LoTRO & use DX10 w/ dynamic shadows & all the good stuff... I got an extra 4-6 fps out of it after SP1. Also, file transfers are faster (as they weren't working as fast as they should) including slightly less load time.

Also... whomever mentioned that their friend had 4GB RAM and it wasn't recognizing it... that's not the reason SP1 is faster. 32bit Windows can only use 3.25GB of RAM and Vista would only say it had 3.25GB RAM even though 4GB is installed when you checked the computer info. Now, it'll tell you it has 4GB but it can still only utilize 3.25GB. It only displays the full amount installed - didn't change anything. You'd have to use a 64 bit version to use it all.

Overall, my 32 bit Vista Ultimate has been working great after I tweaked some settings. I've since installed XP MediaCenter on a separate partition & dual-boot my machine but I've not had to use XP for anything as of yet. Fortunately one of the things I like about Vista is being able to resize partitions inside windows itself. Of course, casual users could easily get frustrated w/ Vista. I understand that.

< Message edited by NefariousKoel -- 4/12/2008 11:36:29 PM >

(in reply to Bossy573)
Post #: 18
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/13/2008 1:30:08 AM   
ravinhood

Just remember who "told you so" about Vista a longgggg time ago even before it was released. Vista was just another money grubbing release out of MS just like ME was before XP. I'll keep an eye on this Windows 7 as it is more than likely going to be the stable one and the proper one after XP.  The vibes on Windows 7 are much better than they were for VISTA. I knew it, I told you and some of you just didn't listen. ;)

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 19
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/13/2008 5:05:42 AM   
Phatguy

quote:

quote:

WHo told you that?
Tell the little pencil neck at Circuit City he is wrong.

Technically untrue, but depends if you buy a store bought system or not. Some of the biggies dont have all drivers available for xp anymore so store-bought systems might do some funky stuff with xp.You will be ok with scratch built ones. Putting Vista on a xp system(stupid,but happens) is easier than the other way around.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 20
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/13/2008 5:31:00 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bossy573

quote:

When I went to Circuit city to have vista replaced by xp, they said that Bill made all the new computers so that it could not be accessable to any other OS including xp, so I'm stuck with this ****.

This is simply not true.

While I believe that the Circuit City crew was misleading him, it is true that there are no XP drivers for many of the laptops that OEM's are currently shipping. That's a fact.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Bossy573)
Post #: 21
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/13/2008 4:18:54 PM   
Meta Baston

quote:

My 13 yr old daughter can open a cd/dvd rom drive, slip in the installation disk and follow the on screen prompts.
As long as a computer has the minimum requirements for XP then it is simple to install.

Well, my very good friend who is a 56 yr old technology and computer teacher () just can't make XP work properly with his new laptop. Seller told him there would be no problem installing XP ("slip the installation disk and follow the on screen prompts" ), but to many drivers are missing and video card has strange behaviors.

So, my advice is still: don't take for granted that you can buy a new computer, get rid of Vista and install XP easily. Because just too many new PCs don't have the minimum requirements for XP anymore.

MB

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 22
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/14/2008 3:34:45 AM   
Phatguy

quote:

quote:

Well, my very good friend who is a 56 yr old technology and computer teacher () just can't make XP work properly with his new laptop. Seller told him there would be no problem installing XP ("slip the installation disk and follow the on screen prompts" ), but to many drivers are missing and video card has strange behaviors.

So, my advice is still: don't take for granted that you can buy a new computer, get rid of Vista and install XP easily. Because just too many new PCs don't have the minimum requirements for XP anymore.

MB

Thats why you can't buy at a big box store anymore unless you want whats out of the box only.

Right now I'm in need of a new system and going to buy from one of the online places where I can build my own steup. Even with shipping it's cheaper...

< Message edited by apathetic lurker -- 4/14/2008 3:35:13 AM >

Post #: 23
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/14/2008 3:55:32 AM   
Gem35

I will gladly take money from you folks who need XP installed on any PC and install it for you. Let me know.

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 24
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/15/2008 12:23:09 AM   
morvwilson

Here is a step by step program to get Vista out of your life.
-Grasp a 2lb ball pean hammer in your right hand.
-Smash down hard repeatedly upon the offending CPU.
-Remove debris to nearest Barbeque.
-Liberally cover with charcoal lighter fluid.
-Apply lighted match.
roast marshmellows!

Works everytime!

http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 25
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/15/2008 12:52:28 AM   
Terl

quote:

ORIGINAL: marcusm

Vista basic came on my laptop. In a nutshell it was clunky and slow, this with 2 gigs of ram and amd semprom. I waited for the service pack and it was the same. It is now gone and XP is in its place.

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 26
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/15/2008 2:58:50 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terl

quote:

ORIGINAL: marcusm

Vista basic came on my laptop. In a nutshell it was clunky and slow, this with 2 gigs of ram and amd semprom. I waited for the service pack and it was the same. It is now gone and XP is in its place.

Well, you have a Sempron processor. I've not seen one of those run very swiftly even on XP.

Yet..

I've recently been getting strange USB happenings on Vista. As in.. if I plug a USB device in while it's on, it works just fine. But.. If I try to restart with the new USB device plugged in... it doesn't. Acts like it can't read the boot drive until I unplug the newly plugged-in USB device. Did it for a USB headset, did it for a printer, did it for an external hard drive all at separate times. The XP partition booted up but I'm still wondering if my board's USB situation is goin' tits-up. The testing continues.

Also... I loved XP after my initial bitching back when it was released, too. Hell, I'd likely be using XP by default if it weren't part of my job to get a feel for the ole Vista gal. Well, that and have you seen full DX10 shadow features?! God, it's beautiful so I'll fight for it.

< Message edited by NefariousKoel -- 4/15/2008 3:02:38 PM >

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 27
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/16/2008 6:08:49 PM   
Kung Karl

Is it possibly to buy VISTA ,use it on my old compiuter, and then take it over to my new computer when I get it later? Or will my OS be locked to the first computer I install it on?

< Message edited by Kung Karl -- 4/16/2008 6:10:12 PM >

Post #: 28
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/16/2008 6:40:08 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

MB

Most people who build their own machines (like me) don't waste a minute logging onto the web and downloading current XP drivers for all devices that need them. The drivers on the CD are so out of date they usually aren't worth using anyway, so the CD lacking necessary drivers is a non-excuse.

Post #: 29
RE: Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? - 4/16/2008 7:09:17 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel
I've recently been getting strange USB happenings on Vista. As in.. if I plug a USB device in while it's on, it works just fine. But.. If I try to restart with the new USB device plugged in... it doesn't. Acts like it can't read the boot drive until I unplug the newly plugged-in USB device. Did it for a USB headset, did it for a printer, did it for an external hard drive all at separate times. The XP partition booted up but I'm still wondering if my board's USB situation is goin' tits-up. The testing continues.

Vista is trying to boot off the USB device. If it's really making you crazy, you might want to check in your BIOS to see if you can turn the "feature" off. It's great when you need it, BTW.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Vista SP1 did it do anything for speed? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI