Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The 1.03 UPDATE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> RE: The 1.03 UPDATE Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 1.03 UPDATE - 4/10/2008 6:05:06 PM   
Miamieagle

I have another question?

Could it be possible for Engineers to build plantoon and other simple bridges while playing in a scenerio. I think that would add another element of realisism to this series.

Thank you!

Iäm writting all this question"s because I care!

< Message edited by Miamieagle -- 4/10/2008 6:06:36 PM >

(in reply to Miamieagle)
Post #: 61
RE: The 1.03 UPDATE - 4/10/2008 6:07:58 PM   
1925frank

Miamieagle,

Regarding guerillas, most, if not all, of those countries' OOB have partisans.   For the Phillipines, you may have to look in the US OOB. 

For bombed out cities, there's the rubble hex.  You'd have to preset it.  There's a thread somewhere that discusses whether you should be able to change a city hex into a rubble hex during a scenario.

Regarding burned villages, you can simulate that to an extent already by placing wrecks in the villages when using the scenario editor.  The wrecks will burn and eventually die out, but the wrecks will, I believe, burn anew if the hex is later fired on.  You can use the same technique if you want to see burning after a bombardment.

(in reply to Miamieagle)
Post #: 62
RE: The 1.03 UPDATE - 4/10/2008 6:21:23 PM   
Miamieagle

Frank I know that. It should happen automatically when it is been hit by Artillery and Bombers and not having you  going to that extend to mimic something that should have been implemented since its inception by Talonsoft. It just take"s away from the immersion factor.

As for the Guerrillas they should have been incorporated into the DGC and Link campaings. I have not seen it yet.
I hope it will in the future.

AS for the new Patch it sounds like is going to be a great improvement for this series.

Thank you Guys!

Thank you Frank for your tips!

SP what I meant with Burning villages and cities
is giving some units perhap Enineer the abilty of burning them as they retreat from a village and not allowing the enemy the benefit of allowing its resources to fall on their hands!

< Message edited by Miamieagle -- 4/10/2008 6:32:48 PM >

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 63
RE: The 1.03 UPDATE - 4/10/2008 6:47:40 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miamieagle

I have another question?

Could it be possible for Engineers to build plantoon and other simple bridges while playing in a scenerio. I think that would add another element of realisism to this series.

BRIDGING ENGINEERS (1.03): These are special engineers that can build medium bridges across hexsides. See Section 5.17.1 for more information.

quote:

You should be adding these to the wishlist thread.

Jason Petho

(in reply to Miamieagle)
Post #: 64
RE: The 1.03 UPDATE - 4/10/2008 7:56:40 PM   
Mraah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

quote:

You should be adding these to the wishlist thread.

Jason Petho

Jason,

That reminds me ... When you start a NEW UNIT REQUEST thread I'll move my M31/M32 over there. I gather you're waiting for us to see what's in v1.03 before starting this thread eh?

Rob

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 65
RE: The 1.03 UPDATE - 4/10/2008 8:03:13 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mraah

Jason,

That reminds me ... When you start a NEW UNIT REQUEST thread I'll move my M31/M32 over there. I gather you're waiting for us to see what's in v1.03 before starting this thread eh?

Rob

Precisely indeed!

Jason Petho

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 66
RE: The 1.03 UPDATE - 4/11/2008 6:46:07 AM   
simovitch

Jason et al., that is an impressive feature list. I'm looking forward to grabbing this one indeed.

One minor change to the list - there are 2 new WF DCG's not 1. These are short 4-6 week campaigns that feature varying force strengths for each side depending on the historical ebb and flow of the battle.

Also, each mission occurs every 1 or 2 days instead of 1 per week.

simovitch

Post #: 67
RE: The 1.03 UPDATE - 4/11/2008 1:23:12 PM   
Legionaer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant

Save Game Counter (1.03)
New Encryption (1.03)

Excellent policy decisions, well done!
Agree!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arkady

I like the encryption feature, except one thing....new units creation will be difficult now
Agree too.

I create and revise: OoB´s, ToE´s, Weapon Values for Modern Wars (forever CWE!) Working on OoB´s for the new CSCW and scenario playtesting for the Beta Brigade.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 68
RE: The 1.03 UPDATE - 4/11/2008 6:26:56 PM   
Polbot

"These Order of Battle changes also affect the Dynamic Campaign Order of Battles, especially for the East Front campaigns for the Germans and Russians. Try them out and see the new force mix as well as new upgrade system!"

Okay, maybe this is obvious, but just wanted to make sure:
Will any of the new units be available in the DCG's? It would be great if the bridge engineers appeared as reinforcements in a bridgehead scenario, or you encounter enemy trains, etc. Every now and then this surprise could really spice up the campaign.

Very much looking forward to the update, thanks!

Post #: 69
RE: The 1.03 UPDATE - 4/11/2008 6:35:00 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Polbot

"These Order of Battle changes also affect the Dynamic Campaign Order of Battles, especially for the East Front campaigns for the Germans and Russians. Try them out and see the new force mix as well as new upgrade system!"

Okay, maybe this is obvious, but just wanted to make sure:
Will any of the new units be available in the DCG's? It would be great if the bridge engineers appeared as reinforcements in a bridgehead scenario, or you encounter enemy trains, etc. Every now and then this surprise could really spice up the campaign.

Very much looking forward to the update, thanks!

It will be the luck of the draw which engineers will support you during a campaign. You may receive the bridging engineers, you may not. They are available in the order of battle structure though.

You will not encounter trains.

You will encounter other new units and unit types. Even the various order of battles that you will face will make things interesting.

Jason Petho

(in reply to Polbot)
Post #: 70
RE: The 1.03 UPDATE - 4/11/2008 6:57:04 PM   
Miamieagle

Gentelman are there any new Dynamic and Link campaigns for the Rising Sun edition. Its always been the Stepchild of the the John Tiller capaign series.  

Please give this addition a bit more care so as to make this series more balance and generally a better representation of World war in its totality.

Thank you!

There is so much missing in RS edition that I believe should added. I believe most of us play with all three edition. I know I do!

Thus this will make the series more pleasurable for the community in ganeral!

< Message edited by Miamieagle -- 4/11/2008 7:02:09 PM >

Post #: 71
RE: The 1.03 UPDATE - 4/11/2008 11:11:30 PM   
Arboris

I'm just curious if there is any word on when we might see the new patch?

(in reply to Miamieagle)
Post #: 72
RE: The 1.03 UPDATE - 4/11/2008 11:43:28 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arboris

I'm just curious if there is any word on when we might see the new patch?

On Matrix has formatted the manual, the 1.03 UPDATE will be released to the public.

I do not know how long that will take, a week? two? I don't imagine it would be any longer than that unless something drastic happens.

Jason Petho

(in reply to Arboris)
Post #: 73
RE: The 1.03 UPDATE - 4/11/2008 11:57:52 PM   
klhbekool

Thanks for the update Jason.  The wait has turned some of us into kids before Christmas.

< Message edited by klhbekool -- 4/11/2008 11:59:09 PM >

KLH

Post #: 74
RE: The 1.03 UPDATE - 4/12/2008 12:10:36 AM   
1925frank

Patch 1.03 is my 2007 Christmas present. 

Thanks in advance.  It looks like it'll be great. 

It's exciting stuff for a game I had thought was dead and buried. 

< Message edited by 1925frank -- 4/12/2008 12:57:03 AM >

(in reply to klhbekool)
Post #: 75
RE: The 1.03 UPDATE - 4/12/2008 12:34:22 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1925frank

It's exciting stuff for a game I had thought was dead and buried. 

No worries about that happening, not under my watch anyway!

Jason Petho

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 76
RE: The 1.03 UPDATE - 4/12/2008 12:39:26 AM   
1925frank

Yippie!

Post #: 77
RE: This Policy Is Here To Stay - 4/12/2008 5:30:11 PM   
Ladmo

Regarding the locked out platoon and weapons files...As the "policy is here to stay" I realize I am wasting my breath, but it is mine to waste and I will only do it this once.

I think it can reasonably be said that a good part of the reason the Campaign Series has lasted so far beyond its sell-by date has been its modibility. Modders (including the CS Legion) have added to it, kept it fresh, and stimulated interest in the series through their work. The Ethiopian addition by Charles Hall, the Spanish Civil War and Italian additions, the Rising Sun Far East Project, and the addtions by the Blitz have all found their far into the current edition and contributed to making it a viable property, enough so that Matrix pursued it and breathed new life into. This decision to lock everything out would be hysterically funny in its irony if it wasn't so maddening. It cuts at the very core of what has kept the game alive. To call the decision unfortunate is a supreme effort in understatement.

Is this really because of cheating in PBEM games? Is honesty really that hard to come by in this community? I've never found it to be so and my solution would have been to find honest opponents.

I do not intend this post as a blast against anyone. There are no villains in a thing like this, just people with fundamentally different views on a subject. I realize in spite of any talk about a "community" this game does not belong to us. I am just a consumer and if it is decided to block any user changes, that is the right of the copyright holder. If the original designers had been as concerned about preventing alterations, it is arguable CS would have died the death a long time ago and none of us would be here.

And there we have it. I have said my peace and the "policy is here to stay." Perhaps I am completely alone in this matter and no one else sees this new policy as a disaster. If they do, perhaps they will speak up. I will not post on this any more as I was raised to only beat a dead horse once.

with the utmost respect but deepest disatisfaction,

Ladmo

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 78
RE: This Policy Is Here To Stay - 4/12/2008 6:21:40 PM   
tide1212

Ladmo well said sir. I must of misunderstood, your saying that the CS games will no longer be modable? If so that would be a crying shame  I must of missed the threads concerning what you just said, could you point me in their direction? 

tide1212

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

(in reply to Ladmo)
Post #: 79
RE: This Policy Is Here To Stay - 4/12/2008 6:27:51 PM   
Jason Petho

Yes, this is really due to cheating in PBEM, and tournament games.

I understand your position. There is nothing that will stop anyone from modding anything, especially new countries as the company through army oobs are still moddable. Even the platoon and weapon file is still moddable, you just can't encrypt them and use it in your install.

Logically, there is only one extra step that has to be done; that is sending the platoon and weapon file that you would like encrypted to me, so I can do it.

Doesn't seem like that much of a hassle, really. Not to me anyway.

Jason Petho

(in reply to Ladmo)
Post #: 80
RE: This Policy Is Here To Stay - 4/12/2008 6:29:59 PM   
Polbot

Totally unrelated subject: there's a Rising Sun Far East project?! Someone link me, please!

(in reply to Ladmo)
Post #: 81
RE: This Policy Is Here To Stay - 4/12/2008 6:33:29 PM   
Jason Petho

I believe most, if not all, of the mods have been incorporated into the MCS. Including the Rising Sun Far East project.

Jason Petho

(in reply to Polbot)
Post #: 82
RE: This Policy Is Here To Stay - 4/12/2008 6:40:20 PM   
tide1212

Now I understand thanks Jason

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Post #: 83
RE: This Policy Is Here To Stay - 4/13/2008 5:56:12 PM   
cw58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ladmo

Regarding the locked out platoon and weapons files...As the "policy is here to stay" I realize I am wasting my breath, but it is mine to waste and I will only do it this once.

I think it can reasonably be said that a good part of the reason the Campaign Series has lasted so far beyond its sell-by date has been its modibility. Modders (including the CS Legion) have added to it, kept it fresh, and stimulated interest in the series through their work. The Ethiopian addition by Charles Hall, the Spanish Civil War and Italian additions, the Rising Sun Far East Project, and the addtions by the Blitz have all found their far into the current edition and contributed to making it a viable property, enough so that Matrix pursued it and breathed new life into. This decision to lock everything out would be hysterically funny in its irony if it wasn't so maddening. It cuts at the very core of what has kept the game alive. To call the decision unfortunate is a supreme effort in understatement.

I could not have said it better nor could I agree with you more. As someone who likes to "tinker" with units, I probably spend more time modding than I do actually playing the game. So I also find this development "unfortunate".

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ladmo
I do not intend this post as a blast against anyone. There are no villains in a thing like this, just people with fundamentally different views on a subject.

Again, I completely agree with you. I would add that Jason and Co. have done much to advance the development of this series. It's because of their many hours of hard work that we have a better game now. And for that, they have earned my respect.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason
I understand your position. There is nothing that will stop anyone from modding anything, especially new countries as the company through army oobs are still moddable. Even the platoon and weapon file is still moddable, you just can't encrypt them and use it in your install.

Logically, there is only one extra step that has to be done; that is sending the platoon and weapon file that you would like encrypted to me, so I can do it.

Jason, if I understood you correctly, only the platoon.obo & weapon.pdt files are moddable. As you know, those files are not used by the game so that really doesn't help much. I could mod those 'til the cows come home' and not change a thing in the game. It might make me feel better about myself, but I don't think so. As for sending you the files to be encrypted: if I sent you a file every time I tweaked something..... I know you have the patience of a saint, but I'm afraid I would sorely try you. It just doesn't seem practical to me.

"here to stay" sounds so final. Perhaps, after the patch has been released and the dust has settled, a dialogue could be started to debate this issue. Let's hear from gamers that have benefitted from this fix and modders that have been hindered. Maybe it's not an issue at all. Or maybe there's another fix that will make both sides happy. Like a warning to a player that his opponent doesn't have a stock .obx or .pdt file?

Anyway, I think I'll take a "wait and see" approach. Thanks for your time.

With respect,

cw58

< Message edited by cw58 -- 4/13/2008 5:58:52 PM >

(in reply to Ladmo)
Post #: 84
RE: This Policy Is Here To Stay - 4/13/2008 6:25:53 PM   
Borst50

It is unortunate that the actions of a few can affect the rest of us.  From what I am gathering, cheating during PBEM and tournaments is a serious enough issue to impliment this policy.  In a perfect world these kind or drastic measures would not be needed.  I am of the opinion that until a more effective means to police tournaments are in place, this policy will say in effect.  And until all players play with honor, as the people in this forum, I suspect we will have a long wait indeed.

Now,after having said this,  I understan BOTH sides of this issue.  My personal desire is to be able to Mod and play freely.  While personally, I do not agree with this policy decision, I do understand the reason for it, and will support it until a better way is found to eliminate the cheating and still be able to mod freely.

(in reply to cw58)
Post #: 85
RE: This Policy Is Here To Stay - 4/13/2008 6:31:38 PM   
junk2drive

I perceive this to be like the Camo group's Steel Panthers games position. You can mod your game all you want. But official changes are solely up to their discretion. They look at change requests but are leary of accepting other people's work for inclusion in future patches. They also include an OOB swapping program so that you can easily change from your sets to stock ones for PBEM.

edit after spell check, what was I thinking?

< Message edited by junk2drive -- 4/13/2008 10:02:12 PM >

(in reply to cw58)
Post #: 86
RE: This Policy Is Here To Stay - 4/13/2008 9:44:40 PM   
Arkady

As a modder I'm for locking platton/weapon files

My issue is not cheating but "different versions" hell...As anyone can change/improve platoons and their weapons stats even for stock scenarios it leads to incosistency
I've different idea for new units addons but I like this first step

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 87
Faule Bande ! - 4/18/2008 4:35:20 AM   
Dumnorix

Many weeks again and no patch....
H.Balck

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 88
RE: Faule Bande ! - 4/18/2008 8:16:03 AM   
dgk196

I have to admit that I have not followed all that has transpired about this subject. Am I too understand that aspects of the program are to be restricted? And not be available to 'moders'? Not to take anyone to task, but did you take notice of the backlash that Microsoft received when they began 'dictating' to the 'community'? I hope the powers that be here will not make that mistake. Of all the various types of internet sites, I would think that this one would be one that would learn from history and not repeat the mistakes of the past! I wish all involved a reasonable and workable solution. It just makes me cringe when I hear of such things. Probably an over reaction, I know.

Dennis

< Message edited by dgk196 -- 4/18/2008 8:17:18 AM >

(in reply to Dumnorix)
Post #: 89
RE: Faule Bande ! - 4/18/2008 9:15:28 AM   
e_barkmann

quote:

but did you take notice of the backlash that Microsoft received when they began 'dictating' to the 'community'?

yeah, phew...sent them out of business didn't it? :-)  How does the above relate to a solid attempt to standardise and improve the CS experience?

quote:

Probably an over reaction, I know.

I think it's admirable of the team that they have implemented this policy to avoid something akin to Microsoft's own 'DLL Hell' from some years ago.  And it's not as if modding has been outlawed; Jason has said that it's just adding in an additional step.

Jolly good move chaps!

cheers

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to dgk196)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> RE: The 1.03 UPDATE Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI