Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: RHS EOS Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RE: RHS EOS Questions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RHS EOS Questions - 4/13/2008 10:18:51 AM   
goodboyladdie

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: goodboyladdie

Before the last game ended after almost a month I had pink in San Diego, Utah and San Francisco (50-60,000 tons in each) and was red everywhere else, ie under 7,000 tons (except New Orleans and three or four Canadian bases). I had not been too generous sending stuff out either. I was looking at trying to assemble at least 100,000 tons for a Pearl Harbor reinforcement/resupply and had to switch off HI and all the various shipyards across CONUS to try to do this. This was wrong in my opinion. I know I have been spoilt by stock and CHS and all the other mods I have played, but all the aircraft orders/plans and shipbuilding for the next 3-4 years was already planned, with necessary building/upgrades/changes of use underway. It's the one place on the map where it should not be that tight, as the creation of the Arsenal of Freedom was well underway and the US was equipped to supply in increasing volume. As it was I was looking at a very heavy investment in supply for up to three years. I did not need the supply sinks to force me to learn to manage supply/balance priorities.

The basic problem is we are not doing a clean design from scratch - and code has peculiar variations just for the US/Canadian West Coast area. In fact - it appears that land units do not move properly on the extreme map edge at all - and I have not found a workaround for this either. In supply terms - the pinkness does not have the same meaning it has in other places:

1) Normally - a location is in the pink IF it has less than twice the supplies it needs for a month

2) US West coast is in the pink if it has less than 60000 plus twice the supplies it needs for a month

That means that you can safely use the supplies. The code does this as a way to "suck" supplies out of "United States" etc.

Someone in the Forum asked for a complication - and it is a great idea - but it IS a complication: he (AK dreemer? WITPQS?) wanted supplies to grow over time. He suggested using damaged centers to make this happen. It works - BUT it is NOT automatic. I have no way to turn off anything - the player must manage it. And every time anything grows one level it eats 1000 supply points. S0 if it has a huge damaged level - 1000 or so - turn it on - and it grows for 3 years. If NOT - turn it off - and it can be turned on later when you are in the black there.

IF you follow my suggestions - this works great. Over time the supplies and fuel and HI and so on will grow to as much as 3 or 4 times initial levels. Further - the amount you "lose" paying for future growth shrinks - so late in the war you get to use almost all of it.

Note that plane and ship and unit production are NOT affected (as they would be on the other side) - these things just happen for free for the Allies. HI centers more or less matter because they make supplies and fuel - not because they make HI points - for the Allies (unless HI points are used for something). But supplies and fuel DO matter. The RHS system lets them grow - you neither must start with horribly too much - nor do you get no growth - but you do have to learn how to manage it.

One thing that matters is local production from HI centers: look at HI, resources and supply (say at Seattle). If you do NOT have TWICE the oil you do HI - there is NO production by the factories. It is the opposite in New Orleans - you will be resource short so badly that you only produce one day in three. The idea is this: IF you EXPORT resources (I want you to do that from Australia - New Zealand - New Caledonia and India - but you can do it from the US West Coast) to New Orleans you can TRIPLE local production. Similarly, if you import oil from NEI or New Orleans to US West Coast points like Seattle - you will cause local production to occur every day. This forces you to use ships for long haul transport between Australia and New Orleans - or rear area between US West coast and Gulf Coast - justifying the extra ships you got in Level 7 for exactly such cargo. YOU decide if they carry military cargo or economic cargo - or both (one in one direction - the other in the reverse direction)? But you do NOT get the production if you don't move the oil and resources where it is needed.

Note that Australia and New Zealand and India need oil - and If you send it THEY will produce from local HI plants. One player even sent oil to Manila (which starts with it in storage) - and he will NEVER lose Luzon - because it generates local resources and supplies (some of them from HI at Manila).

Note that vast amounts of supply (fuel, oil, resources) appear at the map edge - no where more than in the US West coast area (which includes New Orleans, Colon Panama, San Diego, Salt Lake City, Cagary Alberta Canada). You get thousands of them per day per location- although you don't get every one at every location. This represents off map production entering the map area. We also turned Spokane and Boise into ports - in spite of not being on water - because AI sends more to them that way - and they become useful air bases and so on. What this means is that if there is NO local production at all a vast amount of supply appears in this area: it is just not vast compared to what you need - particularly later in the war. The supply situation must be managed - and involves loading cargo every day - deciding where to turn things on or off every few days - etc. If done well you can export all the time and you will grow the economy hundreds of per cent. If done without regard for what works (sending resources to New Orleans works - sending oil to Seattle works) - you not only won't export much from several locations - you won't grow either. This is realistic. There were requirements for shipping for the US economy. And the Allies did a good job of sending ships with wholly different cargos on different legs of their voyages (Japan did badly - mostly ships went empty half the time). The Allies also did a lot of "triangle routing" - troops on one leg - resources on the next leg - and supplies or fuel on the final leg. You are allowed to do such things - greatly increasing your shipping efficiency - and resulting in more of what you need where you need it. The trade offs of this ship at that speed over that distance for such and such a cargo set - are all yours to manage.

I was doing all that Cid, and enjoying the challenge. My point is the US industrial ramp up should be smooth and you should not have to switch off and switch on. I am well aware that production is unaffected. My point in mentioning it was to emphasize that this smooth planned ramp up was going on historically. The main issue is whether CONUS supply sinks are necessary and whether the three year builds are already eating up the necessary "excess" supply. Are you hitting the Allied player in the pocket twice? My feeling from playing was that this was so. I loved the dynamism of the economic model and, as mentioned, was really enjoying the extra work/challenge, but I also felt I was paying a hidden tax.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 31
RE: RHS EOS Questions - 4/13/2008 4:26:46 PM   
grumbler

quote:

ORIGINAL: el cid again

One thing that matters is local production from HI centers: look at HI, resources and supply (say at Seattle). If you do NOT have TWICE the oil you do HI - there is NO production by the factories. It is the opposite in New Orleans - you will be resource short so badly that you only produce one day in three. The idea is this: IF you EXPORT resources (I want you to do that from Australia - New Zealand - New Caledonia and India - but you can do it from the US West Coast) to New Orleans you can TRIPLE local production. Similarly, if you import oil from NEI or New Orleans to US West Coast points like Seattle - you will cause local production to occur every day. This forces you to use ships for long haul transport between Australia and New Orleans - or rear area between US West coast and Gulf Coast - justifying the extra ships you got in Level 7 for exactly such cargo. YOU decide if they carry military cargo or economic cargo - or both (one in one direction - the other in the reverse direction)? But you do NOT get the production if you don't move the oil and resources where it is needed.

Note that Australia and New Zealand and India need oil - and If you send it THEY will produce from local HI plants.

This is, in fact, the nicest feature of RHS, IMO. The Allied player actually has to worry about more SLOCs than just the US-Oz one-way supply route. Some may find it too time-consuming, but I like the idea that the Allied player has some production and SLOC decisions to make.

Post #: 32
RE: RHS EOS Questions - 4/13/2008 9:54:33 PM   
el cid again

quote:

I was doing all that Cid, and enjoying the challenge. My point is the US industrial ramp up should be smooth and you should not have to switch off and switch on. I am well aware that production is unaffected. My point in mentioning it was to emphasize that this smooth planned ramp up was going on historically. The main issue is whether CONUS supply sinks are necessary and whether the three year builds are already eating up the necessary "excess" supply. Are you hitting the Allied player in the pocket twice? My feeling from playing was that this was so. I loved the dynamism of the economic model and, as mentioned, was really enjoying the extra work/challenge, but I also felt I was paying a hidden tax.

This was not clear in the original post.

In general, RHS supply sinks are conservatively implemented: they are too few in number and too small in size for the full "eating" function to occur. This is for several reasons:

a) We lack the slots to put one everywhere we wish to do so

b) We have problems with large ones in combat situations - these are mitigated significantly by not having them extremely large

c) We want to insure ease of play and not to prevent emergency mobilization measures in a local area - so using civil production data is not the only consideration.

We did make a number of peculiar changes in the US West Coast area - the most radical being defining "ports" where there are no ports in our map system. Above a certain value (7 I think) a combination port/airfield is a bit of a supply draw - sucking supplies out of United States, Canada and San Diego. [This at Spokane and Boise I think] I have not had reports of a lot of trouble since that was done - and I have myself been able to do things fairly effectively. One player reported trouble but analysis showed he was sending oil TO New Orleans and resources TO Seattle - when this does NOT help a bit. NO is oil rich and only produces resources enough to run HI one day in three. Seattle is the opposite - it should suck resources without difficulty - but it has problems sucking enough oil - which tends to go to points nearer San Diego first (San Diego has a "pipeline to Texas" represented by free oil - thousands of tons per day). San Diego should always be producing - it sucks enough resources from other points - but Seattle, Vancouver, and that area is tricky. In fact - I added free supplies to mitigate them UNTIL tests showed it was in a range that is managable by players.

There is a bit of a "tax" in that you must pay for growth - and if you do not do that - your supplies will be ample but won't grow. By 1943 this might become a problem - you need to feed a lot of new units - and export for them - so having grown will help a lot. But players are in control of what grows, where and when. One technique I apply is to turn off growth of everythign when in the red.

A problem - not in this area as far as I know - is that AI RANDOMLY ADDS things like vast numbers of resources. [See Shanghai for example]
Also sometimes HI. These are set to "yes" when added, and if you don't turn it off - the place will go to zero supply very fast. Always check a location with supply problems for "new" damaged somethings added by AI. Don't ask me to explain this - but players confirm it happens - not always on any given date or location.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 4/13/2008 10:03:23 PM >

(in reply to goodboyladdie)
Post #: 33
RE: RHS EOS Questions - 4/14/2008 9:58:45 AM   
goodboyladdie

Once again, are you making the Allied player pay twice? He is already paying ramp up costs well into the war, so are the supply sinks necessary? The above reply did not seem to answer...

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 34
RE: RHS EOS Questions - 4/14/2008 2:48:26 PM   
ny59giants

Cid you may be wrong on how New Orleans works. With 100 Manpower there, it eats 1000 out of the 1200 "free" Resources per day. Thus, you don't get any significant HI production until you start shipping in massive amount of resources.

In regards to the West Coast bases, another issue is what base (I'm planning to "try" to use San Fran) can you be pretty assured to have over twice the minimum supply level so your LCU can accept replacements and/or repair damaged squads. With the way the Pacific Northwest operates as various bases have Resources and other things repaired, it doesn't ensure that Seattle will stay out of the pink to allow LCU fill out.

Post #: 35
RE: RHS EOS Questions - 4/15/2008 2:12:52 AM   
el cid again

quote:

Once again, are you making the Allied player pay twice? He is already paying ramp up costs well into the war, so are the supply sinks necessary? The above reply did not seem to answer...

I tried to answer.

The sinks are smaller than they should be - there is no double payment at all - and if all was perfect there would be a few more sinks and some of the others would be slightly bigger. There is a distinct limit on what can be shipped - and it is affected critically by what you build - and also by what you move in in some places (e.g. oil). This is intentional - and is not quite severe enough for early war periods - but it changes over time - or it will if managed well - and that is also right.

Post #: 36
RE: RHS EOS Questions - 4/15/2008 2:16:40 AM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Cid you may be wrong on how New Orleans works. With 100 Manpower there, it eats 1000 out of the 1200 "free" Resources per day. Thus, you don't get any significant HI production until you start shipping in massive amount of resources.

In regards to the West Coast bases, another issue is what base (I'm planning to "try" to use San Fran) can you be pretty assured to have over twice the minimum supply level so your LCU can accept replacements and/or repair damaged squads. With the way the Pacific Northwest operates as various bases have Resources and other things repaired, it doesn't ensure that Seattle will stay out of the pink to allow LCU fill out.

Here you got me - I think I failed to consider this - manpower indeed eats 1000 resources - and so I will change it to 2200 resources - because you are right.

You are also right about units - and add to that that Minelayers won't load unless you are in the black. For that reason I do what I must to keep Seattle in the Black - and I later also Tacoma (to build air production) - but I let Portland stay pink (never red though). I route ML to San Francicso usually.

I have "cheated" and run free supply into this area - rationalizing it as local production. Any idea if it is enough? I ball park the numbers and let tests reveal what happens.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RE: RHS EOS Questions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI