Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Install Error - Bad Disk

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Install Error - Bad Disk Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Install Error - Bad Disk - 4/15/2008 2:01:07 AM   
Placatio

I'm getting "A decompression error has occurred (#6). Read/write failure" on Snd251.wav. When I hit Retry, it repeats the error. "Ignore" moves to Snd252.wav, and I get the same error there.

Help? Do I have a bad disk. Very disappointed, since I was hoping to get no sleep at all tonight :)
Post #: 1
RE: Install Error - Bad Disk - 4/15/2008 2:07:30 AM   
Gil R.

Sounds like it, but I'm not one of the technical experts. (You'll have to wait for Erik, Greg, or one of the other Matrix people.)

I take it that you're following the installation instructions precisely?

As for staying up all night, reading the manual will take a few nights. Of course, it might put you to sleep right away...

Good luck with your problem.

(in reply to Placatio)
Post #: 2
RE: Install Error - Bad Disk - 4/15/2008 2:13:47 AM   
Placatio

The instructions were just to pop in the disk and follow on-screen.   Snd251.wav is about 80% through the process.  I'm sort of wondering if I'm not getting a message to put Disk 2 in for some reason.   I tried that in one of my attempts, but it asked me to put Disk 1 back in.   I'll wait for a tech guy to see the post.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: Install Error - Bad Disk - 4/16/2008 5:52:05 AM   
Placatio

I finally just hit "Ignore" on the sound files that wouldn't load.  I think I'm going to try the game (probably have to go rename the sound folder "nosound" like some do on purpose anyway.  I was missing 16 of the 300+ sound files, but I'm not sure if the game will crash looking for them if I don't play without sound. 

At least I SHOULD be able to play :)

(in reply to Placatio)
Post #: 4
RE: Install Error - Bad Disk - 4/16/2008 5:56:49 AM   
Gil R.

Okay, keep us posted.

(in reply to Placatio)
Post #: 5
RE: Install Error - Bad Disk - 4/16/2008 11:57:13 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Placatio,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, that sounds like a bad CD. If you e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com with your Order # I'll make sure a new one is sent out to you ASAP. Did you also purchase the download version? If so, you should be able to download a new installer through www.findmyorder.com.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: Install Error - Bad Disk - 4/17/2008 12:46:36 AM   
Placatio

Unfortunately, I bought it based on reviews that I'd read and didn't realize I could buy it right from Matrix, so I had purchased it through an Amazon (Re)seller. Hopefully the bulk of the money goes to you guys and the creators!

I won't make that mistake again.

I played the game last night using Quick Combat - Basic Game and had no problems, despite the missing sound files. I assume it would be Detailed Combat where they'd be used, judging by the .wav files before and after.

Had a fun couple of hours with the game and realized how little I understood the mechanics, but I'm starting to get it. Erik, I emailed your support and got rapid, knowledgable, and friendly responses, even though I didn't buy it in the right place. He/She emailed me the sound file I was stuck on, but I am still missing fifteen of them. I asked him/her if it would be possible to get the rest, but I'll understand if it's against policy. I'd hate to go back for a new disk for a few sound files (cost of shipping).

I'm typing all this in case someone else reads before they buy - buy it directly from Matrix!

Gil, thank you, too for the response. Like the community/company here already!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: Install Error - Bad Disk - 4/17/2008 12:58:18 AM   
Gil R.

Placatio,
I'm glad to see that things are working. If any of the game mechanics are giving you trouble feel free to post some questions.

(in reply to Placatio)
Post #: 8
RE: Install Error - Bad Disk - 4/17/2008 6:17:13 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Placatio
Had a fun couple of hours with the game and realized how little I understood the mechanics, but I'm starting to get it. Erik, I emailed your support and got rapid, knowledgable, and friendly responses, even though I didn't buy it in the right place. He/She emailed me the sound file I was stuck on, but I am still missing fifteen of them. I asked him/her if it would be possible to get the rest, but I'll understand if it's against policy. I'd hate to go back for a new disk for a few sound files (cost of shipping).

If you don't get the sound files from our support, please e-mail the list to me and I'll send them to you.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Placatio)
Post #: 9
RE: Install Error - Bad Disk - 4/17/2008 7:30:52 PM   
Tactics

Hi Berliner!

You're such a dork. I've been posting matrix links for years, and this is how repay us.....Amazon.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: Install Error - Bad Disk - 4/17/2008 9:58:38 PM   
Placatio

Guilty as charged.   I've been to the site to check out WitP and others when you've referenced them, but I was deeply into other games at the time.   Now that I've had a taste (played until 1 AM last night and took Richmond!), I'm hooked on Matrix.

Thanks, Erik.  As soon as I have Tactics convinced to buy it, he was my backup plan

(in reply to Tactics)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> Install Error - Bad Disk Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI