Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> Battleground Series Support >> John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 11/26/2007 12:49:15 AM   
Three63

When the Time Limit is reached and the game attempts to go to the Victory screen a CTD occurs when playing the Antietam scenarios. I'm just running it on a simple XP laptop.

< Message edited by Three63 -- 11/26/2007 2:12:09 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 11/28/2007 6:08:19 AM   
Three63

Also, I found that Melee attacking limbered artillery still unflicts 25-50 casualties. In general melee attacking artillery is a pain. Is this a bug? You would think it would be a automatic victory. A question also about the skirmish formation. Is it supposed to depoly a separate Unit like in the Napoleon game and as it says in the manual? Is the way it is now a WAD?

< Message edited by Three63 -- 11/28/2007 6:42:39 AM >

(in reply to Three63)
Post #: 2
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 12/1/2007 12:50:01 AM   
Bostromi

I have also the CTD when the time limit is reached. Three times now, all at end of NIR Never too late scenario.Very irritating. Laptop & XP.
Is there a fix?

(in reply to Three63)
Post #: 3
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 12/11/2007 1:51:31 AM   
Hammer732

Also,
During Chickamauga, no offensive fire sounds are heard. The video plays but no firing sounds are played. The impact sounds are played however. Does anyone elese know about this on the Chickamauga scenarios?

Thanks!

(in reply to Bostromi)
Post #: 4
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 1/5/2008 1:32:38 AM   
lordhoff

Same happens to me (end crash - Antitam); I have to remember to check status before that last phase. I've also had quite a few crashes. I haven't tried any of the others yet; I already have (original) Gettysburg, Shiloh, and Bull Run but I am hoping that this is an Antitam-only problem as it has never occurred on any of those.

Has anyone given you any insight on this problem?

< Message edited by lordhoff -- 1/5/2008 1:34:12 AM >

(in reply to Three63)
Post #: 5
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 1/15/2008 1:19:47 PM   
Alex777

Me too.  A CTD at the end of every game in PTW.  Using a laptop and WinXP.

I also get some CTDs in the middle of a PTW game.

(in reply to lordhoff)
Post #: 6
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 2/29/2008 12:01:06 AM   
habakuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Three63

When the Time Limit is reached and the game attempts to go to the Victory screen a CTD occurs when playing the Antietam scenarios. I'm just running it on a simple XP laptop.

I have the exact same problem, playing the Bull Run scenarios using WinXP. I didn´t try any of the other battles yet.

I recognize, that although many people reported to have these crashes when the time-limit is reached, nobody answered until today.
For me, this problem is very annoying - I don´t like to play one of the longer scenarios, being aware that I´ll never know whether I actually won or lost the game in the end ...

< Message edited by habakuk -- 2/29/2008 12:03:04 AM >

(in reply to Three63)
Post #: 7
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 3/2/2008 12:50:04 AM   
tshaw

I'm having the same problem too.  I use Windows Vista Home Premium on a laptop.  I've been thrown out of Antietam, and Bull Run so far. 

(in reply to habakuk)
Post #: 8
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 3/2/2008 2:32:58 AM   
Setanta

I've got the same problem. CTD when I OK the end of scenario dialog. Running Windows XP SP2 on PIII processor.

Any word on a possible fix would be appreciated.

(in reply to tshaw)
Post #: 9
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 3/2/2008 5:18:31 AM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks for the reports everyone, we will investigate this week and I'll post as soon as I have any news of a fix.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Setanta)
Post #: 10
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 3/5/2008 9:21:36 AM   
lordhoff

There is a work around. Either before advancing past the last melee phase (ie, after melee before advance to next phase) or even after the crash (if autosave is active), you can simply check status/victory. Still a PITB though.

(in reply to habakuk)
Post #: 11
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 3/5/2008 9:26:21 AM   
lordhoff

Way late here but, yes I do. Just started Chick--- (Cherokee spelling and me don't get along) and the same is happening to me. BTW, I use XP on a desk top.

(in reply to Hammer732)
Post #: 12
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 3/10/2008 10:58:56 AM   
lordhoff

Some other items I've noticed with Chickamauga:

It is near impossible to tell when a unit is out of ammo as the low on ammo icon applies to both (unlike the others). Believe this to be an error. The highlite doesn't help either because it lumps them together.

Apparently (not 100% sure yet) units can lose multiple fatigue points in a single turn with the default (ie, not quicker) fatigue rules. For instance, I parked a regiment in the rear at fatigue 8 and the next turn it was at fatigue five. Seems inermittent, though. I thought I'd noticed this before but I scored it as non-attentiveness on my part.

Question for "Staff" (if this is read again): This game is old and it would seem these sorts of bugs would be known. Did Talon Soft just sit on it and now lessons have to be relearned?

(in reply to lordhoff)
Post #: 13
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 3/12/2008 2:32:54 AM   
lordhoff

One last comment: the game is not just marking "out of ammo" as "low on ammo" as I earlier thought. It is actually keeping it at "low ammo" giving a perpetual supply of ammunition. I find this, since it affects game play, to be more serious then the other problems. I guess on this old of a game, though, it probably isn't worth fixing unless it is real simple (which I suspect that it is).

(in reply to lordhoff)
Post #: 14
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 3/18/2008 3:23:46 AM   
lordhoff

After further playing and careful note taking, I must recind my last message. Troops are indeed running out of ammo which is marked as low ammo. The way to tell is the low ammo icon appears during defense fire which would normally be unmarked since low ammo does not restrict defense fire. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

(in reply to lordhoff)
Post #: 15
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 3/28/2008 1:11:30 AM   
Barca9921

Erik. Any news on the problem ??

(in reply to lordhoff)
Post #: 16
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 4/6/2008 11:57:24 PM   
Barca9921

Well it's over a month now since Erik was looking into this and still nothing.
It really isn't good enough !!

(in reply to Barca9921)
Post #: 17
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 4/7/2008 7:33:06 AM   
lordhoff

I'm surprised he said he'd look into it at all - it is an elderly game and I don't believe sales have met expectations since its re-release. I'd think these two problems could be fixed though in just a few hours time - the audio problem has been fixed by copying files from the other games and the code from the original game could be compared to the current to see what has changed. Oh well, basically the game is functional.

(in reply to Barca9921)
Post #: 18
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 4/21/2008 1:35:34 AM   
Mac59

I too, have been having an issue with apparently random crashes to desktop, as well as the end-of-game crash.
Whenever my irritation level gets high enough, I check this forum to see if it's been addressed yet.
It's very dissapointing to see that it has not, despite Eriks' promise to look into it back at the beginning of March.
My generally high regard for this company is definately slipping.

Low sales or not, if you're going to sell a product, you ought to support it, or if it's not economically viable to support it, you ought to offer refunds to those who expect that support to be there.

Although I can't offer any advice on the random CTDs, except to say I think they are sound related, I find that re-enabling the background music avoids the end of scenario crash.

(in reply to lordhoff)
Post #: 19
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 4/21/2008 4:13:35 AM   
tshaw

Mac59,

That was an outstanding catch! I re-enabled the background sound on two previously saved scenarios and they both worked fine. Good job and thanks!

(in reply to Mac59)
Post #: 20
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 5/10/2008 12:45:14 AM   
Erik Rutins

We think we've fixed this, it was related to the new sound system, should have a fix available next week.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to tshaw)
Post #: 21
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 5/10/2008 12:46:59 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordhoff
I'm surprised he said he'd look into it at all - it is an elderly game and I don't believe sales have met expectations since its re-release. I'd think these two problems could be fixed though in just a few hours time - the audio problem has been fixed by copying files from the other games and the code from the original game could be compared to the current to see what has changed. Oh well, basically the game is functional.

To the contrary, sales have met expectations and we are supporting these releases.

The main problem was that we're a small company. I was completely swamped by another release and this simply fell through the cracks in my personal to-do list. My apologies.

Feel free to e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com if you need to kick me in the butt again in the future.

As a side note, John has also made progress on the campaign issue for Napoleonic Wars, hopefullly we'll have more to report on that soon.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 5/10/2008 12:48:25 AM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to lordhoff)
Post #: 22
RE: John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error - 5/10/2008 4:33:49 AM   
lordhoff

I'm really glad to hear that this package is doing at least as well as expected. For some reason, if too many games don't do as well as expected, the game company disappears (and I'd be tickled pink if MATRIX sticks around for quite a while).

BTW, my comment wasn't meant as a put down. To my way of thinking, resources are limited and if a game isn't doing so well, then it just might be best to concentrate more on those that are. But that is my silly old brain me thinks.

< Message edited by lordhoff -- 5/10/2008 4:34:49 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> Battleground Series Support >> John Tiller's Battleground Civil War Error Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI