Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What works & what dosen't:

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold >> The War Room >> What works & what dosen't: Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What works & what dosen't: - 4/24/2008 11:04:10 PM   
Sfox28

I've been playing WWII games like this one for 48 years...yes that's right 48! I guess it kinda gives away my age but what it does really do is give me some knowledge and forsite about WWII and what it takes to win on both sides of the conflict. I've studied and taught about this subject longer than most of you have been alive.
OK, now to the real point of this question and this game. The game is fun and interesting to play but I wonder about the AI and it's role, or lack of one, visa vie the beginning scenario (1939) or any of the other yearly ones (1940, 1941, 1942, 1943, and 1944). Here's my take.....1939...It's extremely hard to move as fast as Germany did even given a big advantage. It just seems to me that you can't move and win as fast as was done in WWII by Germany given the political lack of will given the allies at the time. This being said, I really enjoy the scenario's from '41 on. 1941...for me it has been a tough sled playing as the Germans (even-up) given the set-up! No, I'm not even going to get into the scenario editor. What I really want to talk about is the 1942 scenario. To me this is the most fun to play. Germany is not yet at it's full extent (even game) and to do so will require some real stratagy. I, like Germany, shifted most of my panzer forces to the south to get to the oil-fields. I did this by backing out of some tretcherous positions around and near Moskow and setting up decent defensive positions there as well as in the Lenningrad area. The idea is to recoginize that it's like beating your head against the wall to get to both of those cities! I say this because when I play this scenario as the Allies I can stop the best German push (in the 1942 German super advantage scenario...with oil consumption rules of course) quite well. So, shore up a good defensive line and HOLD...but at the same time go for broke in the south. Once you get those oil fields, it will take you a while but you can win it all. I've noticed that no matter which side you take the AI will push for a Moskow brawl to Perm or back and forth. I also believe that, why the game is so much fun, you have to manage your research, industry, air, & naval forces in balance to win. The last game I won was a strong German advantage (1942 scenario) while playing as the Allies. I just kill the Axis. This is getting a bit more winded than I wanted, so suffice it to say in general...the AI when playing the '42 and on scenarios is more than a bit predictable and I can wip it all the time. Now, playing against a real human should be much different. Alas, this is my partial take on this game at the moment. It seems that not too many folks are playing or talking about it on this forum however! Mahalo, for listening...for now!
Post #: 1
RE: What works & what dosen't: - 4/25/2008 2:57:58 AM   
Shawkhan

...Have to agree with you about the early scenarios. I can't win anything past the 1942 scenario myself when playing the Axis. I would appreciate advice from anyone who can beat the Allied AI in the 1943 and 1944 scenarios in this game.
...BTW, you aren't the only old guy on this forum, Silverfox.

(in reply to Sfox28)
Post #: 2
RE: What works & what dosen't: - 4/25/2008 8:18:57 AM   
Sfox28

Shawkhan, I tried all day today trying to duplicate what I thought I had done...playing Axis in the 1942 scenario... even.  I think I went to labs too early in this one as I got my ass handed to me on a platter!  I sent 3 of my U-boats up to the Murmansk convoy area...whacked them pretty good but they still got through several PP's.  Then the Brits tried an early landing in the Normandy area and after some horriffic battles managed to gain a semblence of a foothold (this is summer '42 now & that crap shouldn't happen).  I was really struggling in Russia however...just couldn't keep up the attrition pace.  But, come to think of it...I think my defensive posture was a little too early here this time!  I'm going to try it a little differently this next time.  Oh, I played '43 or maybe it was '44 one time and did hold off the allies till the game quit in June of '45.  Can't remember if this game was even-up though.  I had the Soviets at the Oder when time expired and the Western Allies took most of W. Europe but I did hold on to a few cities.  Anyway you look at it...it's really difficult to win as the Axis even up!

(in reply to Shawkhan)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold >> The War Room >> What works & what dosen't: Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI