Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New guy blunders in

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> New guy blunders in Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New guy blunders in - 4/27/2008 11:16:19 PM   
Dave Reckoning

Hi Everyone

I've been lurking for a while, but took the plunge a few weeks ago and bought the game and I'm glad I did. I've worked through the tutorial a few times and the Coral Sea scenario as US a few times and I'm now getting going on the Campaign as the Japanese.

My aim at this stage is just to marinade myself in the game to get up to some level of competence, looking towards being an ok PBEM opponent in due course.

I guess this post is really just to say "Hi" to you all, and thanks for all you've written here that pursuaded me to get the game.

However, I've a couple of initial questions...

1) Are there any standard downloads or game settings I should be using now, to get as close to a typical PBEM game whilst learning with the AI?

2) How vital is it that I get my mind around the Production side of the game, if I'm aiming to be a competent Japan player? (I think I understand the game mechanics, its more about whether I need to fully understand all the various aircraft types etc in detail and thoughtfully plan out my development / production, and also the advisability of expanding various industries, especially given Japan's historic limited Merchant shipping fleet etc).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post #: 1
RE: New guy blunders in - 4/27/2008 11:20:59 PM   
Dixie

1) There aren't any standard downloads as such.  A lot of people play with one of the various mods out there, most commonly CHS or RHS mods.

2) There is just one person on the forums who understands, even enjoys, the Japanese production.  The most important things to remember as the Japanese is to halt Nate and Claude production on day 1.  And Nells as well.  Don't bother building Shinano, from what I remember she eats up a massive chunk of your naval shipbuilding which can be better spent on ASW ships.

And welcome to the madness

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Dave Reckoning)
Post #: 2
RE: New guy blunders in - 4/27/2008 11:23:45 PM   
Terminus

Yup, welcome aboard. You'll never have a social life in the "real" world ever again.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 3
RE: New guy blunders in - 4/27/2008 11:28:15 PM   
Speedysteve

Welcome Dave

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: New guy blunders in - 4/27/2008 11:35:42 PM   
saj42

Welcome to the madhouse Dave, and when you play PBEM say goodbye to any social life you had.

If you're going to play as Japan, then mastering the Production system is essential.
It can be make-or-break so understanding the capabilities and limitations of the various a/c will certainly be an advantage.
After playing this game for 3 years I might just try the Japanese side myself.

Post #: 5
RE: New guy blunders in - 4/28/2008 3:38:12 AM   
Gem35

Welcome to the game, enjoy yourself and if you have additional questions don't hesitate to ask.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 6
RE: New guy blunders in - 4/28/2008 3:48:00 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Reckoning

Hi Everyone

I've been lurking for a while, but took the plunge a few weeks ago and bought the game and I'm glad I did. I've worked through the tutorial a few times and the Coral Sea scenario as US a few times and I'm now getting going on the Campaign as the Japanese.

My aim at this stage is just to marinade myself in the game to get up to some level of competence, looking towards being an ok PBEM opponent in due course.

I guess this post is really just to say "Hi" to you all, and thanks for all you've written here that pursuaded me to get the game.

However, I've a couple of initial questions...

1) Are there any standard downloads or game settings I should be using now, to get as close to a typical PBEM game whilst learning with the AI?

2) How vital is it that I get my mind around the Production side of the game, if I'm aiming to be a competent Japan player? (I think I understand the game mechanics, its more about whether I need to fully understand all the various aircraft types etc in detail and thoughtfully plan out my development / production, and also the advisability of expanding various industries, especially given Japan's historic limited Merchant shipping fleet etc).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

As to Japanese production - it is easy once you learn how!

Here is a thread - to give you some ideas about how things can go wrong and still get fixed - this being said - there is little substitute for experience. I recommend diving in to the full campaign! Play both sides through May 42 against the AI .. then you'll be ready for a (forgiving) PBEMer!

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=1405257

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

Post #: 7
RE: New guy blunders in - 4/28/2008 4:24:04 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Reckoning

As to standard downloads or game settings ....

Downloads: well there is a lot of art that is cool ... and I use some of it even when playing stock ....but after all the CHS/NikMod etc I've tried ... I would still recommend starting with stock. It isn't perfect, but none of the other MODs are either and you won't know what YOU want to change (from stock) until you've tried it. And I have to say - I think stock produces the best game - without needing too many house rules. The other MODs do offer more OOB accuracy or better air to air combat or other such changes - but as I say - each player has different ideas about what is most important to "change" and you won't know your preference until you've tried the unadulterated flavor, eh?

Game Settings: Turn off the sub doctrines - they don't acurratly reflect the real sub doctrines anyway. I turn off the auto replacements and autobuilds .. I want to do all that myself ... I don't use much in the way of "AI" assistance ... I use short ranged "cs" convoys but I'd consider that an advanced option .. not something to worry with at first. Pretty much every one turns on Allied Ship Damage Control. And turn on all the reports, and animations, etc. More infomation will not be bad when you are learning. I like hexes off, but it might be easier to learn with them on. You can check the terrain with the "1" key as a toggle. Like Tinian is "clear" whereas Saipan is a "mountain" .. so big difference if you want to invade the Marianas! Fog of War on .... what am I forgetting?

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 8
RE: New guy blunders in - 4/28/2008 4:32:32 AM   
Mike Solli

Welcome!  Japanese production is fun.   I recommend playing awhile against the AI concentrating on just a few things.  Then start over and add a few more etc. 

I played the AI for over a year (I was deployed at the time and had nothing else to do in the evenings).  I must have started a dozen or more times.  I don't think I ever got past Mar 42. 

Take lots of notes so each time you start you can modify your start according to what you learn.  I think the key to Japanese production is to go slow.  The war is long and if you change too much too quickly, you'll suck up much needed supply and your attack will grind to a halt.

As was said earlier, stop production of Claudes and Nates. I used to stop production on Nells also but now I keep them going.  A few extra won't hurt and they're pretty much equal to Bettys.

Definitely stop the Shinano.  She sucks up 185 naval shipbuilding points a day.  You can do a lot of good with those extra points.

Learn the nuances of accelerating ships to maximize the use of the points. 

Figure out what types of planes you want to build and how many you need to build.  Then plan your engine production around that.  Keep in mind that engines, planes, armament and vehicle points and HI (I probably missed a couple of others) can't be bombed by the Allies so they are safe to keep around. 

You can overproduce too.  I made a mistake of producing lots of A6M2 in one of my PBEMs.  I had about 200 factories going with a couple hundred spares.  No problem, right?  Then the factories upgraded and I built a bunch of A6M3s and A6M3as and now I have about 500 or so spare A6M2s.   Bad planning.  I won't do that again.

I use the hundreds of Nates and Claudes in the pool to train my rookie fighter jockies.  If (or actually, when) they smear themselves against a mountain I just get another rookie and obsolete fighter to replace him.  

Oh yeah, on map pilot training.  You'll need a program because you get only a handful of IJAAF and half a handful of IJNAF pilots a month.  You can easily lose a month's worth of trained replacment pilots in a day or two of hard fighting. 

There's lots to Japanese production but it really is a lot of fun.  Just start with one or two things at a time and ask lots of questions here.  There's always someone around who can help you out.

Good luck!

Mike

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 9
RE: New guy blunders in - 4/28/2008 5:13:28 AM   
Feinder

Agreed with Wilkerson.  Start with stock, it makes for the best baseline experience.

The only reason I even tried CHS (a good mod, but certainly with it's own issues), was simply because I wanted to give Aaron Brown's a map a try (it really is well done).  Not because I was particularly jonesing to try CHS (altho I was curious), but ABs map is sensational.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 10
RE: New guy blunders in - 4/28/2008 6:08:48 AM   
GaryChildress

Welcome aboard Dave!! Good luck with your practice games! We can always use another potential PBEM opponent!

Post #: 11
RE: New guy blunders in - 4/28/2008 3:39:04 PM   
vvidas

Greetings Dave! I'm also newbie, but this game is so rewarding, a pure gem. Still learning and I think it will pass many winters, before I play as Japanese.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 12
RE: New guy blunders in - 4/29/2008 5:29:41 AM   
Grotius

Welcome Dave, and welcome to you as well, Uskok. As others have said, I think it's a good idea to play stock against the AI for a while before plunging into a PBEM. And don't be put off by the mammoth task of plotting Turn 1 of the grand campaign. Turn 2+ goes a *lot* faster. Once you've put everything in motion, the follow-up turns don't require nearly as much micromanagement. Anyway, have fun!

(in reply to vvidas)
Post #: 13
RE: New guy blunders in - 4/29/2008 7:37:16 AM   
histgamer

Welcome to the new guys. I am not in a PBEM but I do assure you its possible to have a social life, school, work, and a PBEM all at once. I did all that for several months before a computer crash on my opponents side and then on my side basically stooped our PBEM. And I was able to throw out 3-4 turns per day assuming my opponent was also able to. Though realistically it was more like a 2 turn per day average.

So to all those who say social lives and work and school and PBEMs don't mix I say HA.

I wonder how my new GF will feel when it comes to Adm Edition coming out...

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> New guy blunders in Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI