Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Better Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Better Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Better Game - 3/17/2008 7:33:31 PM   
alext3

Which do you think is better the Regular or Command Edition?
Post #: 1
RE: Better Game - 3/17/2008 8:16:14 PM   
Kegel

Regular

(in reply to alext3)
Post #: 2
RE: Better Game - 3/17/2008 8:22:22 PM   
TonyE

What are your qualifiers for better? 

Given no qualifiers I'd pretty obviously take Commander's

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to Kegel)
Post #: 3
RE: Better Game - 3/18/2008 3:40:01 PM   
BurntFingers

For beginners who have never played Harpoon before - never seen or played the board game - not familiar with modern tech naval warfare (but obviously like strategy games) - then Commander's is probably a better buy right now (until the major issues with ANW 3.8 are ironed out). But Commander's is NOT multiplayer. I haven't actually played Commander's, but I played all the fore runners in the Classic (even reviewed the 360 version many many moons ago) so it's not totally new ground. It's not for me though - been there, played it too death.

For people who aren't beginners at Harpoon, or who have some idea of the issues involved with modern naval/air warfare, then ANW potentially offers a deeper game. It's also multiplayer so when you get tired of beating up the poor AI, human opponent(s) gives it a whole different dimension (assumption based on the next patch being up to scratch - and I for one am trying to help make that happen).

I don't work here. I just collect the glasses to get a beer quicker.
Post #: 4
RE: Better Game - 3/26/2008 8:17:38 AM   
Blacklight

quote:

I play both.  Both are more similar than each is given credit for.  I like the user interface in Classic better, something we're going to improve in ANW eventually.

The user interface for ANW is being worked on ?  Thank god !!!   I love ANW, but that interface can really scare a lot of new players off.  There should at the very least be little words that pop up on mouse over of the little symbol buttons to show what they are.  It took me a while to memorise all those little menu symbols.

(in reply to BurntFingers)
Post #: 5
RE: Better Game - 3/26/2008 8:21:51 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: VCDH
We're also looking to tie that into the MS error reporting system to give the user more information going his way. (i.e. instead of the game crashing with no information, you'll get a pop up window or something like that).

Hi,

It's great to have more info if there is a crash. I know this is risking heresy - have you considered (slowly) moving toward a platform independent model?
Post #: 6
RE: Better Game - 4/28/2008 6:14:39 AM   
KlubMarcus

quote:

ORIGINAL: I agree that the UI can scare some players off but it's actually kind of hard for me to describe the amount of work to be done for it but the new picture files that you see on the HUD3 is part of this overall UI project. Finally there is our Harpoon 3 Pro committments which take priority over all else.

Eventually we aim to have some sort of cutomizable 3D UI with skinnable platforms for the players as well as mouse overlays and other customizable layers.
I love the media that you can be displayed from the Database / Picture screen. Actual pictures and a few basic 3D models in addition to the old line art make the simulation seem more real in my mind when I have a better image of the units that I've never actually seen in person.
Post #: 7
RE: Better Game - 4/28/2008 7:39:40 AM   
ruixilyy

I am greatly impressed by the new Platform Display containing in the ver 3.9 patch. But it is really a pity that these pictures only cover no more than 200 naval units and only 100+ air units. Especially, there are only 5 submarines pictures.

Another thing is the database. Although there are many third-party database(I currently play the player's DB), the official DB is still the Old School--which is too old for our players. To this point, I think the HCE is better in database than the H3ANW,since the HCE is an up-to-date one and it updates frequently. I hope there will be a official database of the H3ANW to be released( we can call it "New school"), and the official scenarios should also be updated(because most of the old school db scenarios are not cover the 21st century warfare,which is a huge weakness compared with HCE)

As to other aspects, I just want to mention the MAP. In H3ANW, all the maps are drawn by simple lines, with no textures at all. So I think the H3 can develop a new map system like the HCE, with detailed map textures (it seems the H3 PRO use this element?).

< Message edited by ruixilyy -- 4/28/2008 7:44:07 AM >

(in reply to KlubMarcus)
Post #: 8
RE: Better Game - 4/29/2008 7:43:49 PM   
JRyan

I am glad the 100% CPU usage will be dealt with, that one always bothered me a bit. Keep up the good work.

(in reply to ruixilyy)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Better Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI