Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Two questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets >> Two questions Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Two questions - 5/1/2008 10:05:10 AM   
Hasardeur

Hallo,

which szenarios can we expect and how many turns will it have ?

when can we expect the release of the game ? (hopefully very soon ! :) )

Regards
Post #: 1
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 4:41:18 PM   
Gregor_SSG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hasardeur

Hallo,

which szenarios can we expect and how many turns will it have ?

when can we expect the release of the game ? (hopefully very soon ! :) )

Regards

There is one main scenario with ten mystery variants as explained in the article. I can't give a precise release date yet, so its better if I don't speculate.

Gregor

Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

(in reply to Hasardeur)
Post #: 2
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 5:11:09 PM   
Hasardeur

One scenario with 16 turns ? Well, this is not much ! People who will buy the game will have to hope for user made scenarios - something, which have not worked with Battlefront.

This is a serious reason not to buy the game before some more scenarios are relesased !

Greats

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 3
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 5:39:03 PM   
HercMighty

Yup getting worse, now you only get 1 scenario. Really with the variants you still only get one scenario you just get to play it differently.

No Thanks.

(in reply to Hasardeur)
Post #: 4
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 5:52:45 PM   
Erik Rutins

Ok, I'm disappointed to see these comments. Let me ask you wargamers a question. If you saw a board game tomorrow that covered the 2nd Battle of Kharkov in detail and with excellent research and great play balance (along with 10 "variants") would you consider buying it? My guess is that the answer is yes. Yet with computer wargames, that's not enough?

I think a key point to be made in SSG's favor is that they really do their research and play the heck out of these battles before releasing them. You can take quantity over quality, but how many other scenarios have you played where it was clear the designers did not do their research or did not play through from both sides for balance or both?

Quite simply, if you want the best operational depiction of the 2nd Battle of Kharkov, along with a bunch of variants and the best rules from Decisive Battles as well as Battlefront, this is the game to get. If you also want a full new editor and an engine that supports both battalion and regimental scales, this is the game to get.

This is a game designed and balanced by a veteran team of designers, with an outstanding track record of quality. Such games are not exactly a dime a dozen in the computer wargaming world.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 5
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 6:25:23 PM   
Ola Berli

Gents,

this is a huge battle. The unit density is big. With the variants I think this game will give many months/years of gaming.

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 6
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 6:27:55 PM   
Hasardeur

Hallo Erik,

you may be right - we should give the game a chance and I think I will do so but maybe SSG can do something for the gaming community and release some add ons with further scenarios for this new game engine - and I am willing to pay for it.

This whould be the only way for somebody like me who is untalented in making scenarios to get some experiences with other scenarios.

Post #: 7
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 6:52:05 PM   
Duck Doc

Battles In Normandy did quite well with one campaign imltho.

Where did you get 16 turns? Regimental & battalion level at one turn a day? I would suspect it is more than 16 turns.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hasardeur

One scenario with 16 turns ? Well, this is not much ! People who will buy the game will have to hope for user made scenarios - something, which have not worked with Battlefront.

This is a serious reason not to buy the game before some more scenarios are relesased !

Greats

(in reply to Hasardeur)
Post #: 8
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 6:55:05 PM   
Duck Doc

You nailed it!

I'm sold & stoked.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

This is a game designed and balanced by a veteran team of designers, with an outstanding track record of quality. Such games are not exactly a dime a dozen in the computer wargaming world.

Regards,

- Erik

Post #: 9
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 7:01:13 PM   
Hasardeur

Take a look on the screenshots - you will find turn 1/16 at different places. I have Battles of Normandy and I love it but it contents more than one scenario and 2 campaigns (the second is the Ardennes one).

Greets

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 10
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 7:02:02 PM   
TheHellPatrol

Not again....no thanks

{One scenario with 16 turns ? Well, this is not much ! People who will buy the game will have to hope for user made scenarios - something, which have not worked with Battlefront.

Greats }

quote:

ORIGINAL: HercMighty

Yup getting worse, now you only get 1 scenario. Really with the variants you still only get one scenario you just get to play it differently.

No Thanks.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 11
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 8:31:25 PM   
HercMighty

quote:

Ok, I'm disappointed to see these comments. Let me ask you wargamers a question. If you saw a board game tomorrow that covered the 2nd Battle of Kharkov in detail and with excellent research and great play balance (along with 10 "variants") would you consider buying it? My guess is that the answer is yes. Yet with computer wargames, that's not enough?

I think a key point to be made in SSG's favor is that they really do their research and play the heck out of these battles before releasing them. You can take quantity over quality, but how many other scenarios have you played where it was clear the designers did not do their research or did not play through from both sides for balance or both?

Quite simply, if you want the best operational depiction of the 2nd Battle of Kharkov, along with a bunch of variants and the best rules from Decisive Battles as well as Battlefront, this is the game to get. If you also want a full new editor and an engine that supports both battalion and regimental scales, this is the game to get.

Regards,

- Erik

And personally I think this is where you went wrong. Your pushing this on us. Where we have asked for variety, you have gone the opposite direction. You try to mask this with the mystery variant thing but sorry I don't see it that way. So you've made your decision and maybe it will work out, but for me this is where my support of these games end.

Post #: 12
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 8:32:45 PM   
HercMighty

quote:

And to this, look to Panther Games....

Post #: 13
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 9:43:46 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: HercMighty
And personally I think this is where you went wrong. Your pushing this on us. Where we have asked for variety, you have gone the opposite direction. You try to mask this with the mystery variant thing but sorry I don't see it that way. So you've made your decision and maybe it will work out, but for me this is where my support of these games end.

I'm not pushing it on you, but I'm trying to show you the positive side of things. I do think the board game comparison is a good one to think over. Yes, I'd love to have more scenarios and more content in general, but I think there's also some degree of underestimating the amount of work these games and scenarios actually take, when done right. Given SSG's track record, I feel that Kharkov is good value for the money wargame-wise, if you're at all interested in the battle.

The mystery variants in other games would likely be extra scenarios - in this one they're folded into the options for a single scenario. If we'd said "1 Historical Kharkov Scenario + 9 Kharkov Variants for 10 Total Scenarios" would that have helped?

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 5/1/2008 9:45:42 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 14
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 9:45:42 PM   
Terminus

Excuse me, but could you show me where Matrix is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy this or any other game? Just curious...

< Message edited by Terminus -- 5/1/2008 9:47:10 PM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 15
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 9:52:57 PM   
HercMighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Excuse me, but could you show me where Matrix is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy this or any other game? Just curious...

No where. And I did not imply that is what they were trying to do. And maybe my wording was a little strong, but they have decided to go down a road I have decided not to follow. It is of my own free will. Maybe for others, and maybe even to further for lots of others this will be what they want and will be happy with. I feel though it was a bad decision.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 16
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 10:01:57 PM   
Kung Karl

I think the game looks sweet. Love the ideo of AO. Just hpoe it will work out ok. Sure, more scenarios would be great it will still be a quality title I am sure.

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 17
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 11:04:42 PM   
Llyranor

I'm okay with one scenario if it's very well researched and executed. I'll be up to supporting this game once I finish the previous ones (I bought KP/AtD/BiN/BiI/BF on a binge during the latest sale) - or once I'm convinced I should just keep supporting the series indefinitely (haven't played enough to decide that yet). The DB games didn't seem to have that many scenarios either (aside from the sub-scenarios that are just part of the main one). But first, to clear that backlog...

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 18
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 11:38:28 PM   
HercMighty

quote:

If you saw a board game tomorrow that covered the 2nd Battle of Kharkov in detail and with excellent research and great play balance (along with 10 "variants") would you consider buying it? My guess is that the answer is yes. Yet with computer wargames, that's not enough?

Regards,

- Erik

No the answer is no. I don't buy boardgames for this reason. Also single battle games, board or computer have a certain shelf life.

No matter how you spin it we are buying one scenario. The fact that it can be setup differently does not change that basic fact. So unless you have a great interest in that one scenario how much replay value is there? Same map, same units, same over all end objective....

Sorry just how I see it.

Post #: 19
RE: Two questions - 5/1/2008 11:55:46 PM   
Ola Berli

Erik Rutins,

how many turns have the full campaign game? Could You also say a bit about the number of units on each side? Are we talking many hundreds?

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

(in reply to HercMighty)
Post #: 20
RE: Two questions - 5/2/2008 12:16:59 AM   
Berkut

This is not a board wargame. It lacks many of the things that make a board wargame appealing to me.

It is a computer wargame. As such, I expect it to have many of the things that make computer wargames appealing to me that board wargames lack.

One of those things is a variety of different scenarios playable under the same basic system. It is not the only thing, by any means, but is it one of the things.

Barring that, it should have an easy enough to use scenario editor that users canc reate their own scnearios. Battlefront lacked this - I hope this will be addressed here.

lastly, there are a LOT of scenarios out there for this "system" that this game claims to be the successor to - I fear that once again SSG is fragmenting their player base in a niche market.  Kharkov will replace BF: Market Garden, but not really since it won't be able to play the scenarios from that game, requiring you to keep them both installed.

If in fact Kharkov includes significant improvements over its predecessor (and if it does not, why are we buying it?), then why would I wish to load up the older, less featured game to play scenarios in?

SSG seems to be shoosing the worst of all possible worlds - a game system that lacks backward compatibility, lacks patching of previous games to current standards, AND makes it very hard for even the user community to update those scenarios.

At a minimum, SSG needs to make some capability to import the BF scenarios and update them in some fashion.

And really - no scaling resolutions? Didn't we learn that lesson already???

(in reply to Ola Berli)
Post #: 21
RE: Two questions - 5/2/2008 6:23:33 PM   
hank

In regards to subsequent scenario's, there's one big gorilla in the room.  SSG has already done much research for several excellent battles.  Look back at all the scenario's DB and BF has modelled.  TAO, Korsun, Across the Dnepr, Normandy, Gazala, etc etc etc ... much of the time consuming work in building the scenarios is map creation and OOB's.

I would suggest SSG capture all that past work, and in the case of BF battles - maps, and concentrate on compiling an add-on battle pack and possible add another scenario to the initial release of K:DotD. I realise the battle would have to be rebuilt with the new system but a lot of work goes into simulating history via good maps and OOBs.

I suppose I'm more concerned with helping ... by making recommendations, etc. to possibly get a better wargame.  I can also understand some of the discontent.  I passed on BiI because of discontent.  It happens.

just another 2 cents

< Message edited by hank -- 5/2/2008 6:25:16 PM >

(in reply to Berkut)
Post #: 22
RE: Two questions - 5/2/2008 6:43:54 PM   
Alan Sharif

I would 'like' more scenarios but will still be buying this title the days it is available and am sure it will be a 1st class game.

A Sharif

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 23
RE: Two questions - 5/3/2008 2:25:43 AM   
tevans6220

Sorry Erik but one scenario and ten variants doesn't amount to a whole hill of beans. The HPS version of Kharkov is of the same or smaller scale, offers more scenarios, comes with a larger map and is just as well researched. The only strike against HPS is that their AI leaves a lot to be desired but slowly and surely they're working on it. Not saying that I won't purchase. Just wanted to point out that the "well researched" selling point is a pretty weak one.

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 24
RE: Two questions - 5/3/2008 2:54:48 AM   
Howard7x

I think the point your all missing here is that the game engine is difficult to work with. Thats the reason for the lack of scenarios in all of the SSG games. It takes time and effort to put them together, but the maps and OOB along with the support from SSG and modders make this game a must buy for me. BIN only had 1 scenario + a bonus one moved over from KP (TAO5), yet i dont remember people complaining and moaning like you all are here. The AO and Mystery additions sound like something a hex based wargame has been needing for a long time. So long as the editor works as well as it did in BII, there will be alot of user made scenarios made for this game. BF was 2 steps forward, 1 step back for me. I think this release will iron out the problems encountered with the BF engine/editor.

SSG clearly dont have the money to change the core game engine and UI. If you look at most of the developers here on matrix games, they get a base engine set up and then end up modding and evolving the same engine into a different release. Thats just the way it works. Were not talking about Activision and Rockstar games who have millions to spend, like it or not, the devs have to work with what they have got.

Comparing it to HPS might not be the best way to go seeing as for most wargamers this side of the millennium, the only thing HPS has going for it IS the number of scenarios. I dont doubt the amount of depth and research put into each of their releases, the problem is the game engine just sucks. I enjoyed it back in 1995.

"In times of peace, a good general is preparing for war" - Gaius Julius Ceasar

(in reply to tevans6220)
Post #: 25
RE: Two questions - 5/3/2008 3:36:21 AM   
Toby42

Color me "Stupid" Howard, but I think that BIN had/has more than one scenario. Not counting the Bulge one???

Tony

(in reply to Howard7x)
Post #: 26
RE: Two questions - 5/3/2008 3:55:59 AM   
HercMighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Howard7x

...yet i dont remember people complaining and moaning like you all are here.

This is not true and a slightly different scenario. Battlefront was supposed to be the new engine and the future. Supposebly with the editor and future games were going to be based on it so the future would be brighter. There would be added scenarios both user made and possibly SSG made. We'll we've all heard about the editor problems and the lack of scenarios that resulted.

Well look what happened. People complained about lack of scenarios and lack of developer to customer interaction. SSG says don't worry we got something great planned. We'll I am sorry no they don't. For the price they will charge, no they don't.

This is a computer game which if done right is supposed to take all the problems of a board game out. Easier to play, more scenarios, replayability. So they drummed it down to make it easier to play, but then in my opinion failed on everything else. For a new game price the graphics needed to be addressed and maybe they should have really looked at the editor to make it easier to make scenarios. I don't make them, I don't have the time or the desire too. I will pay to play them but to do that in SSG's world is way to hard on the budget for what you get. As far as I am concerned what they are releasing should be an addon on to Battlefront and should be proced accordinaly.

Maybe if they called this Battlefront II and said it was shipping with one battle modeled with the release of future battles as add on prices this would work. But if we keep going as they are the next one will cost $50.00 too and we'll only get bug fixes to this title.

(in reply to Howard7x)
Post #: 27
RE: Two questions - 5/3/2008 6:11:15 AM   
Frank.Costanzo

This game is great news! I have studied this battle, and this game will move to the top of my list of future purchases. I will also weigh in on the talk about number of scenarios. I have bought many computer games in the past, and I would much rather buy a game with one very well researched scenario with variants, then multiple lower quality scenarios. I have always thought that some computer wargames try to do too much, and cover too many battles. Focusing on one battle gives the designers a better basis to setup a good AI, and historical feel.

I am assuming this is the spring of 1942 battle. My wish list would be a future addition of the 1943 winter battles around Kharkov.

(in reply to Hasardeur)
Post #: 28
RE: Two questions - 5/3/2008 10:24:28 AM   
tucson3217

I have enjoyed all the SSG games and will buy this one-I do wish that more scenarios could be made, a professional quality scenario with perhaps new units or unit art would be fantastic--and I would be willing to pay quite a bit to have these.  I think if you develop one flexible system that you could make a bit of money and have many happy customers buy applying updates to the engine, art and scenarios.  I think you might be surprised how much people might pay for these types of things-and for whatever reason we customers tend to be more accepting of small but requested improvements to an existing engine  (even if we pay for it) than we seem to be of a new game design.

I think the reason for this is because it makes the customer feel that they are being listened to.  Even if their requested fix was not applied right away, the fact that the game was being worked on and designed and tweaked and improved makes the customer excited and feel appreciated.  I, for one, think the AO improvement itself looks quite genius, and I am very excited by the strategic possibilities it may open up, and how it might improve the sense of purpose during each move- and even total game immersion.

Ok, I have a couple of questions about the new game:

1) I liked the artillery system in battlefront better than in the previous games.  however, I did not like the fact that they artillery ended up being a indirect fire anti-tank weapon.  I think it may not have been how the system was intended to be used, and am pretty certain that is not how it was ever used in war.  I am wondering if this has been addressed in some manner in this new engine?  Or is the artillery back to the way it was in the older games?  I would like to see the system in battlefront with some tweaks to make artillery perform in a more historical fashion.

2) I assume the 4k hexes means the direct fire system has changed? I did try and read the blurb about the new direct fire rules, but I guess I did not quite understand how tanks, armor and AT guns and effects will be used--it seems like it may be a mesh between the older games and battlefront?  I am not sure though.  Another question about direct fire weapons-could a sce. designer make smaller hexes and add ranged direct fire to the game system?

3) I was looking at the new battlefront sce. being currently in designed on the Run5 forums.  It looks beautiful.  I was wondering if the same sort of graphic tweaks might be included as a possible variant in the new game engine?  Or make something like this downloadable?  I think an easy upgrade like this would make people quite pleased--I know I would enjoy it.  While I can tell the difference between a PZ IV and PZ III from their shawdos/outlines such as they are, the unit art in the following examples are much more fulfilling and would increase game play for me a lot.  I think the following art is ported from the 'Volcano Man' Art upgrades he makes for HPS games-so I am not certain if the exact art could be included or made available. Maybe you could ask him?  Or if that is not an option, maybe something similar might be made available?

I am looking forward to this release.  I hope others will give it a chance as well-I am guessing it will be quite good.  I also see the point of some of the complaints however; so perhaps a bit more attention to after release value added features and game play might be considered? 

I think everybody would be happy with that scenario-there are very few quality computer war game designers left (board war games OTOH seem to be making an amazing comeback both in quality of components, playability and popularity).

It would be quite tragic if a very talented and experienced designer/developer quit making games not because the games were of low quality, but because the customers and designers had a sort of falling out due to a misunderstanding of desires and intent. 

I really do not think customers and developers are that far apart-it seems we all want the same basic things, but that due to some possibly fumbled communications and maybe even some bad market choices there is a bit of mistrust built up. 

I honestly don't think there is any huge gap created though-I think SSG has earned some more patience on our part based on a long track record of quality games. I think some of their new ideas sound very promising-real and innovative change is not coming from many places in computer war gaming, and SSG  does attempt to add significant and creative game designs.  Designs that seem to take advantage of what computers offer, not just simple board game ports.  For instance, the AO design?  That would be hard to try and design in a board game (I realize MMP-and maybe others as well- has a sort of similar concept in their TCS games with the written orders, but some consider it too awkward.  I happen to like it, but anyway...)  

Having said all that, I do think the designers owe it to the customers to add more value to their future releases (such as they have done in the past). Perhaps an engine that is more flexible and open to engine upgrades and mods? Or maybe mods and tweaks for graphics or backwards compatibility etc.  W/O that, at least some quality scenarios, content and additions should be given to each release before moving on to the next design.

(in reply to Frank.Costanzo)
Post #: 29
RE: Two questions - 5/3/2008 11:34:18 AM   
Howard7x

No, BIN had 1 map, just like the one here, and several scenarios based on that 1 map, which is just the same as the 10 viarants they are putting in here. Essentially, the BIN scenarios were just individual parts of the overlord 32 turn campaign. The user based scenarios evolved over the next few YEARS. I understand people moaning about lack of scenarios compared with other games but with SSG's releases, thats always been the case so why start complaining now. Quality over quantity is the key and i still stand by that now seeing as im still playing BII, which has quite a few scenarios, yet still cant compare to TOAW3 or HPS sims list of shipped scenarios, surely thats telling you something!!

The big question is, for me, will the scenario editor be back to how it was or better than BII. Seeing as that has the most custom scenarios. I would be equally dissapointed if its a difficult as battlefront's editor. Dont jundge until weve found out more details.

"In times of peace, a good general is preparing for war" - Gaius Julius Ceasar

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets >> Two questions Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI