Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

can't load saved games,version 1020 digital

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Tech Support >> can't load saved games,version 1020 digital Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
can't load saved games,version 1020 digital - 2/29/2008 4:08:35 AM   
masterclaude

Hello everyone! Hope you enjoy the game as much as I do except for this small annoyance: I cannot load saved games. Whenever I click on the disk icon at the bottom of scenarios menu I get this message:
RUNTIME ERROR THIS APPLICATION HAS REQUESTED THE RUNTIME TO TERMINATE IT IN AN UNUSUAL WAY.
On top,it says: MICROSOFT VISUAL C RUNTIME LIBRARY.
MARSHALL ART once showed a pick of this message in one AAR 2 months ago . If anyone has any idea how to solve this please send a word because game sessions are VERY long when one can't save it. Thanks!

Masterclaude
Post #: 1
RE: can't load saved games,version 1020 digital - 2/29/2008 8:47:52 AM   
GKar

I think this is a version problem. Did you update your game recently or try to load saves from an older game version? You could try erasing everything in the savegame folder /dat/save/ (?), but make a backup first or just move the folder content to a different location.

(in reply to masterclaude)
Post #: 2
RE: can't load saved games,version 1020 digital - 2/29/2008 3:30:28 PM   
masterclaude

Hi Gkar! You are damn right! Thank you very much! From niow on, I will be able to play normaly. No more 12 hours marathon to complete a game. because of the save problem issue. In fact, saved games from 1011 seems to be the problem with version 1020. May be there are not compatible with this newer version. In any case, I appreciate the game and the gamers I have found here. thank you again.

Masterclaude

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 3
RE: can't load saved games,version 1020 digital - 5/3/2008 5:45:29 AM   
Wawtroy

quote:

ORIGINAL: GKar

I think this is a version problem. Did you update your game recently or try to load saves from an older game version? You could try erasing everything in the savegame folder /dat/save/ (?), but make a backup first or just move the folder content to a different location.

Nope I just bought the game and every time I try to load saved game the system crashes. I got 1.020 Version the latest!!!

Please fix!

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 4
RE: can't load saved games,version 1020 digital - 5/3/2008 2:53:39 PM   
GKar

Wawtroy, just do what you quoted to get rid of the problem:

quote:

ORIGINAL: GKar

You could try erasing everything in the savegame folder /dat/save/

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 5
RE: can't load saved games,version 1020 digital - 7/21/2008 5:56:16 PM   
runyan99

I had this problem also. Obviously, the devs need to eliminate the old files in the saves folder, because everybody who buys version 1.02 of the program will experience a crash on trying to load a game.

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 6
RE: can't load saved games,version 1020 digital - 7/24/2008 8:47:13 AM   
WanderingHead

quote:

ORIGINAL: runyan99
I had this problem also. Obviously, the devs need to eliminate the old files in the saves folder, because everybody who buys version 1.02 of the program will experience a crash on trying to load a game.

there are clearly better ways for it to behave, but ironically i'd have to break save compatibility to implement them. so it hasn't happened. maybe i should have bit the bullet and broke save compatibily for this upcoming patch to fix it, but it is too late now.

we can'y delete old saves on patch install, people would complain they lost games irretrievably.

(in reply to runyan99)
Post #: 7
RE: can't load saved games,version 1020 digital - 7/24/2008 4:13:35 PM   
runyan99

You don't understand. I bought the game last week. A new purchase of 1.02 comes with an old save game file from 2006 which causes a crash. The file needs to be removed.

(in reply to WanderingHead)
Post #: 8
RE: can't load saved games,version 1020 digital - 7/24/2008 10:56:51 PM   
Lucky1

Runyan is correct - even on a clean install (over no prior version), a save file is created that is incompatibe with the current version. So, a person making a new purchase will inexplicably (unless he checks the forum) have the game crash every time he tries to load his saves.....

(in reply to runyan99)
Post #: 9
RE: can't load saved games,version 1020 digital - 7/25/2008 7:08:11 AM   
GKar

I agree, it really is a showstopper for new players.

(in reply to Lucky1)
Post #: 10
RE: can't load saved games,version 1020 digital - 7/27/2008 5:34:56 AM   
WanderingHead

i understand. but the only good way i know to fix it is too modify the save file format to encode a version number. it really should be done, but it would break save compatibility so i didn't do it on this patch.

i can't change the original install file. patch installs can't delete the file because it might delete someone's valid game.

i did think of one thing that could be done with a patch install. MAYBE the whole dat/save directory could be renamed "dat/obsolete_saves" and a new "dat/save" directory created. that way, noone would lose games on patch install, but the game would not be looking at older saves after a patch upgrade.

the patch onstaller is done, but i'll ask if this change can be made.

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 11
RE: can't load saved games,version 1020 digital - 7/27/2008 8:21:19 PM   
rjh1971

At least make sure it is in the Readme file with BIG LETTERS.

(in reply to WanderingHead)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Tech Support >> can't load saved games,version 1020 digital Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI