Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unit experience in campaigns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Unit experience in campaigns Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unit experience in campaigns - 3/24/2002 3:05:16 AM   
El_Peco

My question is about the experience of units during the campaigns.
I thought that core units gained experience fighting and surviving in the battles, but lately I examined a platoon of rangers in my long, long road to victory and I discovered a strange thing.
In details, I had a squad with many kills and about 105 of experience; during a battle the enemy killed my beloved squad.
Then, after the battle, I fixed my squad and in the upcoming battle I checked the stats of my new squad. The name of the sargeant changed, I lost the kills, BUT the experience was again about 105 (instead the moral was lower).
I noticed that also in other units.
To sum up, is this right and intentional???:eek:
Thanks for any opinions.

Regards.
Post #: 1
- 3/24/2002 9:56:54 AM   
Larry Holt

Hard to say if its right or not. Perhaps you got a bunch of experienced replacements instead of green apples.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to El_Peco)
Post #: 2
Re: Unit experience in campaigns - 3/24/2002 8:00:08 PM   
john g

[QUOTE]Originally posted by El_Peco
[B]My question is about the experience of units during the campaigns.
I thought that core units gained experience fighting and surviving in the battles, but lately I examined a platoon of rangers in my long, long road to victory and I discovered a strange thing.
In details, I had a squad with many kills and about 105 of experience; during a battle the enemy killed my beloved squad.
Then, after the battle, I fixed my squad and in the upcoming battle I checked the stats of my new squad. The name of the sargeant changed, I lost the kills, BUT the experience was again about 105 (instead the moral was lower).
I noticed that also in other units.
To sum up, is this right and intentional???:eek:
Thanks for any opinions.

Regards. [/B][/QUOTE]

Its been said a million times before, when a unit is killed in game terms, it doesn't mean every man in the unit is dead in the ground buried. I could mean that the men were wounded and are back after a short stay at the hospital, it could mean that the men were battle fatigue cases and just a day or two out of combat fixed them up, it could mean that the men just bugged out and later rejoined their outfit.

If a sergeant let his entire squad bug out, I guess he would have been cashiered and a new sergeant take over in his place, but the cadre of enlisted men would still be there to rebuild the unit.

Recall it was only the US that used the reppledepple system feeding in replacements to units still in combat, other nations used different systems. And don't get me started on what the US experiance and morale ratings should be in 44 and 45 when entire units were constituted out of rd soldiers.
thanks, John.

(in reply to El_Peco)
Post #: 3
Re: Re: Unit experience in campaigns - 3/26/2002 6:30:01 AM   
Antonius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by john g
[B]

Its been said a million times before, when a unit is killed in game terms, it doesn't mean every man in the unit is dead in the ground buried. I could mean that the men were wounded and are back after a short stay at the hospital, it could mean that the men were battle fatigue cases and just a day or two out of combat fixed them up, it could mean that the men just bugged out and later rejoined their outfit.

If a sergeant let his entire squad bug out, I guess he would have been cashiered and a new sergeant take over in his place, but the cadre of enlisted men would still be there to rebuild the unit.
(...) [/B][/QUOTE]

This is a good rationale for not SYSTEMATICALLY downgrade the experience of all destroyed units, or only downgrade it partly. But don't tell me that when one of my squad surrenders the cadre of enlisted men will escape from POW camp to rebuild the unit or that when one of my guns takes a direct 150mm hit the crew will reassemble itself like Terminator 2.

While I agree that a destoyed unit in the game does not necessarily mean all men are dead I am confident you will agree that it does not mean either that there were any survivors or that those that survive are fit for any more combat duty.

A destroyed unit should have its experience downgraded to a random number between the former one and the "standard" experience level for that nation and year.

Wargamo, ergo sum

(in reply to El_Peco)
Post #: 4
- 3/26/2002 4:05:01 PM   
El_Peco

Thanks for replies, but I wonder again what is the rule in the engine of the game?
When a units die, it always, when fixed, will have same experience of killed units?
Because if the answer is yes, a player loss partially the incentive to keep alive his units.

Regards.

(in reply to El_Peco)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Unit experience in campaigns Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI