Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Third Reich v1a Coming Soon!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Third Reich v1a Coming Soon! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Third Reich v1a Coming Soon! - 5/3/2008 1:21:46 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

Anybody fancy playtesting the file for me? I'm doing it myself but my wife is getting annoyed at the time I'm spending on it

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Delyn Locksmiths -- 5/5/2008 1:45:20 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/3/2008 1:26:05 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

April 1940, and I'm still bogged down in Yugoslavia. The British are landing troops to support the Yugoslavs. I'll be turning on France and Britain after capturing the Balkans.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Delyn Locksmiths)
Post #: 2
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/3/2008 3:03:49 PM   
Azghaf

Delyn,

This looks great, Third Reich was the first serious war game I started playing - still got the game in the attic somewhere!

I'll give it a go, but as I'm also playing 3 pbem games, I may be a bit slow.  Where have you posted the game -on the AT scenrios page?

Dave

Post #: 3
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/3/2008 4:07:03 PM   
von altair

Heh, gold old memories. Third Reich was my first board game. I still have it and have been missing those nasty games!

"An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?"

"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"

-Axel Oxenstierna

(in reply to Azghaf)
Post #: 4
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/3/2008 4:09:52 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

I havent posted it yet. It's far from finished. I need people to play through it a few times (vs AI so at your own pace) to find any problems. Every nation keeps its own armies rather than joining either germany or the allies. But you can travel over your allies territory. It's ww2, and only takes inspiration from third reich - obviously the game mechanics are very different. I've tried to handicap the German player to make the AI a tougher opponent, and I think it works. Germany has to expand in order to get enough supply for it's units. I've also included SS troops. But it all needs testing for balance. I've already guessed at a problem. Troops bought with action cards are German. So i shouldn't think anyone will bother producing the weaker italian troops, but rather will spend the production on PP's to buy German troops. There are also a few problems to sort with the graphics, supply overlay looks cack with the heavy forest hexes, and the movement overlay isn't quite dark enough. PM me your email addy, and I'll send you the current file.

(in reply to Azghaf)
Post #: 5
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/3/2008 4:16:59 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

July 1940, so a little behind schedule in France, but way ahead of schedule in the Balkans. Yugoslavia has fallen, A road has been built into Greece, and we're at the gates of Paris.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/3/2008 4:28:22 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

Anybody know if it's possible to write a rule variation that changes the masterfile? I'd like to give the option of either graphic set instead of forcing people to use this one if they don't like it.

I'm also going to add (once ive worked out how to) a republican spain option which adds another member to the ally side.

Post #: 7
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/3/2008 9:11:37 PM   
Widell

I'd be glad to try this one out, will be slow as I'm playing Crete PBEM (been AWOL there for a couple of days) as well as a PBEM of FOF. Where can I dl the files?

Post #: 8
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/3/2008 10:29:14 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

Does anybody remember the colour of the allied minor counters in the boardgame?

I'm going to make two versions, one a two or three player game and one for play vs the AI.

(in reply to Widell)
Post #: 9
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/4/2008 1:29:44 AM   
Delyn Locksmiths

OK, the human only scenario is uploaded tot he sandbox section. It needs a little work, but should be playable all the way through.

You can find it here .... http://www.advancedtactics.org/scenario.php?nr=47

Post #: 10
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/4/2008 3:07:52 PM   
Magpius

Dewi,
The counter sets and game scans are all at boardgamegeek.com
A fantastic source for graphic mods.

-I'm still smarting at that WW1 spanking I got from you... but I am back in training
regards
-A

Post #: 11
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/4/2008 11:26:12 PM   
BULLDOGINTHEUK

He is also slowly grinding me down in the WW1 game we are playing. He likes his artillery does Delyn.

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 12
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/5/2008 4:21:12 AM   
rickier65

This looks nice Delyn - One of the few wargmaes my wife actually was willing to play.

(though not anymore).

Thanks
Rick

Post #: 13
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/5/2008 9:11:39 AM   
Fred98

3rd reich was my first wargame too!

I still have 2 copies of the game!  One is the 4th edition rules!

and 1 copy of the PC DOS version. The patch is stored on a floppy disk but I dont have a floppy disk drive.

I also have a copy of The Guide published in about 1982 together with copies of The General magazine discussinh tactics.

One day there wil be a proper PC version...............

-

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 14
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/5/2008 9:49:35 AM   
SMK-at-work

What's the "real mod" it requires?

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 15
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/5/2008 11:53:07 AM   
Delyn Locksmiths

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

3rd reich was my first wargame too!

I still have 2 copies of the game!  One is the 4th edition rules!

and 1 copy of the PC DOS version. The patch is stored on a floppy disk but I dont have a floppy disk drive.

I also have a copy of The Guide published in about 1982 together with copies of The General magazine discussinh tactics.

One day there wil be a proper PC version...............

-

Joe, if you have the rules, could you look up the scenarios and variants for me to include in the game?

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 16
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/5/2008 11:54:14 AM   
Delyn Locksmiths

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

What's the "real mod" it requires?

It needs a masterfile and graphics for the hexes. I couldn't upload them all to the At site. I'll try and sort out a friend to upload it by ftp.

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 17
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/5/2008 1:27:55 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

I've ditched the boardgame graphics. I prefer these. Here is Third Reich v1a. I'm playing with no FOW to see what the AI is doing, and to help me balance the scenario. Dec 1939, and I'm trying desperatley to hold a border with the French whilst crushing Yugoslavia.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 18
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/5/2008 2:49:32 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

By the way, I have a copy of the PC DOS version of the computer game. It's not very good, it's a decent enough simulation of the game (though reduced to two regimes) but it's far too easy to make a mistake and there is no way to take back any move. You can play for ages, then one rouge mouse click can destroy your momentum.

Anyway, i believe it is now abandonware, so if anybody wants a copy. Just PM me and I'll get it to you.

As for my scenario. May 1940, Yugoslavia is defeated though Greece is still fighting. I'm turning to France this round, as I need to get that thorn from my side and reduce allied production. I have put the allies on AI++ to try and make it challanging, the amount of allied troops has not yet caused a problem but he has Heavy Tank III, Medium Tank III, Light Tank II, and Tank Destroyer II whilst I just have Medium Tank II. I think this ruins any feel of realism in the simulation. So I want to keep his tech dowqn, without weakening his threat too much. I was thinking of turning him down to AI+, but maybe just increasing the research mod would be a better idea?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 19
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/5/2008 10:31:35 PM   
IRONCROM

LOL... Yup, I had that PC DOS version as well. I had back when it first came out.
Not sure how it is now since it hasn't been on my hard drive in years and I have no idea where my CD went. But I remember it being very buggy and having a pretty weak AI. Still at the time I thought it was pretty great anyway.

Post #: 20
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/6/2008 1:43:45 AM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Delyn Locksmiths

Joe, if you have the rules, could you look up the scenarios and variants for me to include in the game?

The boardgame has:

1939 scenario
1942 scenario
1944 scenario
Grand Campaign

Subsequently Avalon Hill released another scenario titled 1941 scenario. This was included in a copy of The General.

If you want me to scan something I can do so.

Please note that advanced tactics is not Third Reich. The only thing to really mod is the map and counters. The game play could never be reproduced.

-

Post #: 21
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/6/2008 10:09:01 AM   
Delyn Locksmiths

The combat could never be reproduced. But the mechanics (capture a capital, enemy surrenders and you get political points) could. So could the order of battle. But it's not my intention to do that. As a first scenario the idea of this one is just to make an AT WW2 game in the same theatre. And the aim also is to make it a scenario for play againt the AI rather than a multiplayer scenario. I think there's a shortage of scenarios if you don't want to play PBEM. I have a few ideas for other scenarios to use what I've learnt with this one too.

I think once it's released I will start a thread to help us tweak the AI.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 22
RE: Third Reich, WW2, European Theatre, AI Scenario - 5/7/2008 1:09:12 AM   
IRONCROM

Hey, I like that idea.
A European theater scenario specifically designed for play against AI.

Post #: 23
RE: Third Reich v1a Coming Soon! - 5/8/2008 8:17:38 PM   
pzgndr

Wow, looking good! I'll have to check this out one of these days.

It's nice to see some friendly competition with Third Reich mods.

Post #: 24
RE: Third Reich v1a Coming Soon! - 5/9/2008 7:08:12 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

Oh cool, are you doing a "proper" third reich mod? i'd love that, but it's beyond my capabilities (and patience) at the moment. Mine is really nothing to do with third reich apart from the ocunter colours and the theatre

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 25
RE: Third Reich v1a Coming Soon! - 5/9/2008 8:19:25 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

Oh cool, are you doing a "proper" third reich mod? i'd love that, but it's beyond my capabilities (and patience) at the moment. Mine is really nothing to do with third reich apart from the ocunter colours and the theatre

I've been using the Strategic Command 2 series to create a Third Reich adaptation. You speak of patience; I've been at it for almost 2 years now!

It's interesting that you are focusing on the AI. The Wargamer should be posting an article shortly where I discuss the AI development in SC2 and how I applied it to my custom campaign. In a Part II article I present an AI-vs-AI after action review of an entire campaign game. Look for that. Y'all can judge for yourselves how "proper" it turned out. I'll emphasize that I'm trying to generate more discussion about AI developments in general, not so much about SC2 specifically and my mod. Maybe Vic or someone here could consider a similar article about AI in Advanced Tactics. It's an interesting subject.

Post #: 26
RE: Third Reich v1a Coming Soon! - 5/9/2008 10:06:43 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

quote:

I've been using the Strategic Command 2 series to create a Third Reich adaptation. You speak of patience; I've been at it for almost 2 years now!

It's interesting that you are focusing on the AI. The Wargamer should be posting an article shortly where I discuss the AI development in SC2 and how I applied it to my custom campaign. In a Part II article I present an AI-vs-AI after action review of an entire campaign game. Look for that. Y'all can judge for yourselves how "proper" it turned out. I'll emphasize that I'm trying to generate more discussion about AI developments in general, not so much about SC2 specifically and my mod. Maybe Vic or someone here could consider a similar article about AI in Advanced Tactics. It's an interesting subject.

Yes, I agree it's very interesting. I've pointed out before that it would be an interesting feature for AT to have the ability to match up AI vs. AI. I'd also like the ability to script or mod the AI in some fashion and have different AI tourneys.

I guess that's just a personal interest though. I'll keep my eye on the Wargame for the article you mention, it should be interesting.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 27
RE: Third Reich v1a Coming Soon! - 5/10/2008 4:42:21 AM   
gre81

where can i get those unit icons?

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 28
RE: Third Reich v1a Coming Soon! - 5/10/2008 3:49:52 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

email me, and I'll send them to you. Or download the boardgame mod.

(in reply to gre81)
Post #: 29
RE: Third Reich v1a Coming Soon! - 5/10/2008 8:12:17 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: Delyn Locksmiths

email me, and I'll send them to you. Or download the boardgame mod.

Delyn,

Have you considered doing a ptmaster where you use the NATO counters, but allow the terrain graphics to default to whatever the game is set to?

I've collected all of the counter sets I've stumbled across, but I find myself too lazy to swap them in and out very much.

In fact, I should try and track down the authors and see if they'll let me post them on commmuinty site.

Thanks,
Rick

Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Third Reich v1a Coming Soon! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI