Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RHS Installer doesn't work?!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RHS Installer doesn't work?! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RHS Installer doesn't work?! - 4/22/2008 5:01:19 PM   
Historiker

I used it like the readme tells me to do. THe swicher comes and I ordered to fully install EOS etc.
I start the game - and I'm in vanilla...

ANd yes, everything was installed in the right directory as well as I started the right game...

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
Post #: 1
RE: RHS Installer doesn't work?! - 4/22/2008 6:28:43 PM   
dwbradley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

I used it like the readme tells me to do. THe swicher comes and I ordered to fully install EOS etc.
I start the game - and I'm in vanilla...

ANd yes, everything was installed in the right directory as well as I started the right game...

Hmmmm, interesting. When you say you are in vanilla I take that to mean you see the standard map and not the Cobra/RHS Level 7 map? If this is so then this means that the install of the map did not occur since there can be only one map at a time. My first guess would be that the install selection you chose was the third from the top of the selection row and it should have been the second. The second button is the full EOS install and the third merely switches the install from CVO/BBO to EOS/EEO.

Second guess is maybe the install path wasn't correct. There is a button to click on that will let you set that to point to the right directory, that is, the one where you wan the RHS Level 7 install to occur.

I'm sorry you had a problem. I have previously noted the potential for confusion that the design of the install buttons allows. Yours is the first bit of feedback I have received concerning the installer. I have taken that to mean not that it is without flaws but rather that there is little interest in the utility.

If you continue to have problems I will help you as much as I can. If neither of the above suggestions is helpful then please post some more or contact me via PM. I will need to ask you some questions in order to understand what has gone wrong but I feel that we can make it work.

Good luck with this and thanks for the feedback.

Dave Bradley

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 2
RE: RHS Installer doesn't work?! - 4/23/2008 8:57:08 AM   
el cid again

Scot McChonnachie in Seattle was unable to install RHS until the installer was released. It DOES work - there is some technical issue here.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 3
RE: RHS Installer doesn't work?! - 4/24/2008 6:01:27 AM   
dwbradley

As I promised earlier I have updated the installer to have the latest scenario files for Level 7 per the akdreemer site. You can get it here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/109945874/RHS_Level_7_Installer_1.4.zip

The installer package is updated but the embedded installer and switcher utilities remain unchanged, just data files updated.

I am a little worried by Historiker's problem but decided to go ahead with this release anyway. If anyone is thinking of moving to RHS and would like to try this method for getting going, I'd appreciate any feedback positive or negative.

Thanks

Dave Bradley

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 4
RE: RHS Installer doesn't work?! - 4/25/2008 10:22:08 PM   
Mifune

I apoligize for missing this installer 1.4. You can now find it at the RHS web site. Here is a link http://rhs.akdreemer.com/RHS%20Scenarios/RHS%20Level%207%20Package%20Installer/

Perennial Remedial Student of the Mike Solli School of Economics. One day I might graduate.

(in reply to dwbradley)
Post #: 5
RE: RHS Installer doesn't work?! - 4/27/2008 12:30:59 PM   
Roger Neilson II

Ok, I have tried this installer and it works almost for me. Its far better than trying to follow all the individual steps on the website! My problem is that the pwhex file seems screwed so stuff is displaced on the map. Where can I get the correct pwhex file and where do I put it to correct this?

EOS version 7 is what I've gone for. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Roger

(in reply to Mifune)
Post #: 6
RE: RHS Installer doesn't work?! - 4/27/2008 4:52:31 PM   
dwbradley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson II

Ok, I have tried this installer and it works almost for me. Its far better than trying to follow all the individual steps on the website! My problem is that the pwhex file seems screwed so stuff is displaced on the map. Where can I get the correct pwhex file and where do I put it to correct this?

EOS version 7 is what I've gone for. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Roger

Roger,
Thanks for the feedback. I’m happy that the installer made things a bit easier for you and unhappy that it didn’t work in all respects. If there is a problem with the Level 7 pwhex.dat after using the installer you can possibly right things by using the switcher utility that is bundled with the installer. The switcher utility should allow you to restore the STANDARD pwhex.dat configuration, which is simply the baseline for the Level 7 map.

I am a little confused by your description that “stuff is displaced on the map”. The map (that is, the artwork files and the pwhex.dat) define the set of hexes and their properties. “Stuff”, such as bases and LCUs are defined in the scenario files. Is it possible you tried to run one of the stock scenarios (slots 1-16 , approx. I forget how high they go). With RHS Level 7 you can only use the RHS Level 7 scenarios, identified in the scenario titles and carrying a version number starting with seven. The RHS scenarios are approx. slot 70-something in the scenario selection listings.

I’d be happy to help with this or any other problems you might have with the installer but I might need more info. Feel free to ask here or PM me. Good luck with RHS!

Dave Bradley

(in reply to Roger Neilson II)
Post #: 7
RE: RHS Installer doesn't work?! - 4/27/2008 5:13:26 PM   
Roger Neilson II

Problem occurred between seat and mouse interface! Dumb is the word. Of course i have to run an RHS scenario..... how could anyone be so stupid as to run a standard one and then claim it didn't work?

Ok, worked fine with an RHS scenario!

Cheers

Roger

(in reply to dwbradley)
Post #: 8
RE: RHS Installer doesn't work?! - 4/27/2008 6:13:45 PM   
dwbradley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson II

Problem occurred between seat and mouse interface! Dumb is the word. Of course i have to run an RHS scenario..... how could anyone be so stupid as to run a standard one and then claim it didn't work?

Ok, worked fine with an RHS scenario!

Cheers

Roger

It's good to hear that all is well. Do not be too hard on yourself. The number of jellyware malfunctions that I am capable of never ceases to amaze me. And one of the "joys" of aging is you can discern the rate of increase of occurences.

Cheers!

Dave Bradley

(in reply to Roger Neilson II)
Post #: 9
RE: RHS Installer doesn't work?! - 5/3/2008 6:22:12 PM   
Hagen von Tronje

I am not entirely sure if mine is an issue with the installer per se:

The install seems to work fine, but whenever I start an RHS scenario (74 f.ex.), and try opening up the info window for a base (by clicking on the base icon), the game crashes to desktop. I did use a fresh install, had it updated to the latest patch, then used the installer (the one found on the akdreemer site). my other installation, with the same patch on it, works just fine. I have tried other RHS scenarios, and the issue is the same in all of them. I have also tried reinstalling the game from scratch, but the problem's still there. Are there any fiels I am missing? Could this be an issue with the pwhex file? I am clueless...

(in reply to dwbradley)
Post #: 10
RE: RHS Installer doesn't work?! - 5/3/2008 7:45:01 PM   
el cid again

This is not easy to understand. It may be you have corrupted files of some sort - most likely the installer. Sounds like you didn't get the art - and it crashes when called. RHS can be installed without the installer - just dump the files in the right place. It is available from the site - and from me directly if you want something specific.

(in reply to Hagen von Tronje)
Post #: 11
RE: RHS Installer doesn't work?! - 5/3/2008 9:59:24 PM   
dwbradley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hagen von Tronje

I am not entirely sure if mine is an issue with the installer per se:

The install seems to work fine, but whenever I start an RHS scenario (74 f.ex.), and try opening up the info window for a base (by clicking on the base icon), the game crashes to desktop. I did use a fresh install, had it updated to the latest patch, then used the installer (the one found on the akdreemer site). my other installation, with the same patch on it, works just fine. I have tried other RHS scenarios, and the issue is the same in all of them. I have also tried reinstalling the game from scratch, but the problem's still there. Are there any fiels I am missing? Could this be an issue with the pwhex file? I am clueless...

I'm sorry you are having issues with your install. The symptoms you are reporting are puzzling. From your description it doesn't sound like a pwhex.dat file problem to me. My knowledge of how the game's code works when you click on a base icon is all based upon my observations and surmises, but using that as a basis for trying to debug your problem I would say that it is more likely that there is something amiss with the artwork files that are changed when you run the installer.

It's a big download so I hate to recommend that you repeat the download. But it is possible that something was corrupted during that process.

A series of things to try out (and yes I know it's a pain to generate a comepletely new fresh install. I finally got smart enough to build a fresh virgin install that I copy for testing)

1. After a fresh install but before running the RHS installer test the fresh install by starting one of the stock scenarios
2. Run the RHS installer and select the EOS/EEO option.
3. Try running an EOS/EEO scenario
4. If the problem is still there then run the switcher and refresh the pwhex.dat file with the STANDARD config.
5. Try step three again.

I hope some of the above may help. In the mean time I will download from akdreemer and give it a test myself. There is a bare chance that in transferring from rapidshare to akdreemer something went wrong. I'll report my findings later.

Dave Bradley

Post #: 12
RE: RHS Installer doesn't work?! - 5/3/2008 10:52:23 PM   
dwbradley

OK, I downloaded from akdreemer and installed RHS over a fresh install. I was able to start up an EOS scenario and all seems well that I can see. I can click on base icons without any problems.

Hagen,
What was the complete set of options chosen when you ran the installer? That is, full install EOS + map icons + startup screens. Maybe there's something in that that is different. I'm kind of floundering around a little here because so far I am unable to recreate your problem, although I'm certain you haven't had any difficulty making it appear. Let me know what happens when you retry and more details of the config chosen at install.

Dave Bradley

(in reply to dwbradley)
Post #: 13
RE: RHS Installer doesn't work?! - 5/4/2008 10:34:30 AM   
Hagen von Tronje

The options I chose were full install EOS, map icons and startup screens, yes. I'll try re-download the installer and try again. Will report back soon. I have tried reverting the pwhex.dat to standard already, no difference.

edit:

I have reinstalled everything and redownloaded the 1.4 installer, too. This time, I have only installed EOS, and it worked. My guess it was something with the enhanced icons that didn't quite work for me. Thanks alot for the help!

< Message edited by Hagen von Tronje -- 5/4/2008 11:16:29 AM >

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 14
RE: RHS Installer doesn't work?! - 5/4/2008 6:39:40 PM   
dwbradley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hagen von Tronje

The options I chose were full install EOS, map icons and startup screens, yes. I'll try re-download the installer and try again. Will report back soon. I have tried reverting the pwhex.dat to standard already, no difference.

edit:

I have reinstalled everything and redownloaded the 1.4 installer, too. This time, I have only installed EOS, and it worked. My guess it was something with the enhanced icons that didn't quite work for me. Thanks alot for the help!

That's good to hear that it is now working for you. I'm still not sure what might have been the problem. At any rate, good luck with RHS!

Dave Bradley

Post #: 15
RE: RHS Installer doesn't work?! - 5/4/2008 8:58:23 PM   
el cid again

I recommend you read the RHS Manual. This is a collection of items - mostly written by me - but entirely organized and presented by Mifune - who is in effect the editor and manager and creator of the Manual. There are many little things which differ about RHS from stock and all other mods - although more than a few of these differences will appear in AE. [For example, there are blimps, seaplane bombers, heavy transport aircraft on both sides, MAD sensors, very different geography and logistics, etc] RHS is essentially modified CHS 155 - and has many features of CHS both at that time or adotpted since - CHS and RHS long adopted some changes together - so if you are used to the idea of a "snorkel" - it is Andrew's - and indeed the map system is essentially Andrew's - although Level 7 has a whole new SE and SW map area.

There are also useful Economic Utilities - Standard for CVO and BBO families, EOS for EOS family and AIO for RHSAIO. These help you get a sense of what is where - and if you can dump data from a save game file - could update during a game.

There are also spreadsheets comparing carriers and battleships in different scenarios so you can pick the option you want more easily. I planned to do others - but it may be we will do this in AE - if we migrate over to it - which will take a year or so.

ONLY AI scenarios (AIO, CAIO and MAIO) should be played vs AI. These ONLY with Japan as AI. AIO is EOS for practice - it uses a stronger Japanese force to help the stupid AI. CAIO was done to help players get used to CVO (and BBO) families - it is strictly historical - AI oriented - and too weak to be a good game - but great to get your feet wet - learn things where you cannot be embarassed. MAIO is a modification of AIO that changes where things go - to New Caledonia area - because AI is more a challenge there than in the Central Pacific. ALL AI games DIE late in 1944 unless you play for Japan to some degree - the entire air force will be kamakazes by the end of November - meaning no fighters, no recon, no transports, no ASW patrols, no ground attacks, no nothing. That is hard code and not RHS releated - ALL forms of WITP are hopeless for AI playing Allies or AI playing Japan from August 1944. They are barely functional with AI as Japan before that. And AE is not going to fix this - it is too much work I guess.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 5/4/2008 9:02:23 PM >

(in reply to dwbradley)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Scenario Design >> RHS Installer doesn't work?! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI