Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Landing Beach Amber 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Landing Beach Amber 2 Page: <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Landing Beach Amber 2 - 5/1/2008 4:29:43 AM   
witpqs

Nah, it's the counter-Intel folks at work!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2251
RE: Landing Beach Amber 2 - 5/1/2008 4:59:27 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

***********Landing Beach Amber 2, 37th ID, Canton Island, 07:40, January 5, 1943***********

Official SPCA Observer in silly Captain's hat and khaki trousers, a blue golf shirt covers his man boobs: YOU THERE! Careful with that DUKW! Stay inside the yellow ribbons! That is pristine brain coral........damn neanderthals.

<when the DUKW stops it nearly disappears...the camouflage pattern is astounding. The soldiers and Marines have the same pattern. Only the occaissional, non-regualtion white athletic sock gives them away>

Socks with stripes? That's a no-no.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2252
RE: Landing Beach Amber 2 - 5/2/2008 6:23:03 AM   
Moondawggie

Hey, those are really snazzy! 

Do they make them in mens's sizes, too? 

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 2253
By the big palm stump - 5/3/2008 12:23:04 AM   
Cap Mandrake

*********Small sandbag and timber bunker 200 yds from the Big Palm Stump, Canton Island, 08:59, January 4, 1943**********

A USN forward naval fire observer looks at his watch while holding the radio handset in his other hand. There isn't much to observe as most of the Japs have burrowed underground and his fellow countrymen to his front are all but invisibile thanks to their fiendishly clever brain coral camos. 6000 yds offshore, the grey shapes of 3 fast USN battleships, South Dakota, Washington and North Carolina, cruise slowly from E to W.

FNO: 30 seconds till the Booby window closes boys! Take a good look. There won't be much to see after the battlewagons get done! ....20 seconds now.....10!

SPCA Observer: HOLD IT! <shouted while holding binoculars to his eyes> THERE'S A MATING PAIR IN THE TARGET AREA! ...

FNO: ...6...5...3...

SPCA Observer: No! No! <grabs unsuccessfully for the mic>

FNO: ....2....1....FIRE FIRE FIRE! <within seconds yellow flashes ripple from all 3 of the big ships>

SPCA Observer: God save Pelicanoformes...Oh the humanity!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2254
RE: By the big palm stump - 5/3/2008 12:39:16 AM   
Cap Mandrake

After 15 minutes of bombardment and several hundreds rounds of main gun ammo, the fast BB's move away to the NW. Behind them, 4 prewar battleships with their distinctive top-heavy masts slowly move into place. Hundreds of tons of pulverized brain coral dust begin to dissipate in a 15 kt wind. As the air clears, even the veterans in the observer's bunker have to turn away. There are parts of Boobys strewn about all over the target area. The portly fellow in the silly Captain's hat, who is normally irrepressibly happy, leans against the back wall of the bunker sobbing heavily, apparently without shame.

Post #: 2255
RE: By the big palm stump - 5/3/2008 12:54:44 AM   
Cap Mandrake

**********Observer's Bunker, Canton Is., 09:50, January 4, 1943*************

After the battleships Mississippi, Pennsylvania, Arizona and Maryland have further pulverized the target area with fourteen inch HE rounds and the 105's and 155's from at least 5 artillery regiments have ceased fire, there is again a brief lull. The pitiable cry of what must be a very beautiful, firm fleshed young Booby is heard lamenting the almost certain destruction of it's parents. The joy has gone out of it for all those in the bunker. Mercifully, the drone of several squadrons of SBD's rolling into their dives provides a distraction.

Post #: 2256
RE: By the big palm stump - 5/3/2008 1:02:02 AM   
Terminus

The horror...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 2257
RE: By the big palm stump - 5/3/2008 2:21:41 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Heads will roll for this!!!!!!!!!!

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2258
RE: By the big palm stump - 5/3/2008 3:22:16 AM   
BrucePowers

Don't tell the Audobon Society

Post #: 2259
RE: By the big palm stump - 5/3/2008 4:46:54 AM   
Moondawggie

"The pitiable cry of what must be a very beautiful, firm fleshed young Booby is heard lamenting the almost certain destruction of it's parents. The joy has gone out of it for all those in the bunker. Mercifully, the drone of several squadrons of SBD's rolling into their dives provides a distraction."

I suspect that nearby that grief-struck bunker, a old Gunny Sergeant from Chicago listens to the SPCA/PETA rep's wailing, and tells his troops, in the legendary words of one Alphonse Capone, "I'll send flowers. Now, once those zoomies drop on those SOBs, move out, you maggots!"

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 2260
RE: By the big palm stump - 5/3/2008 6:08:06 AM   
witpqs

Weep, weep.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 2261
RE: By the big palm stump - 5/3/2008 1:09:38 PM   
tabpub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

I suspect that nearby that grief-struck bunker, a old Gunny Sergeant from Chicago listens to the SPCA/PETA rep's wailing, and tells his troops, in the legendary words of one Alphonse Capone, "I'll send flowers. Now, once those zoomies drop on those SOBs, move out, you maggots!"

CENPAC FORWARD COMMAND POST - PALMYRA ISLAND

ADM NIMITZ: <pacing back and forth next to a sandtable replica of Canton Island>
"Well, what's the word? I have given Mitchell every thing that he needed to take that rock. This is the last push; if he doesn't succeed....."

<clatter of a teletype>

GEN VANDEGRIFT: Admiral, they did it! The 37th ID reports that their two lead battalions have made the airfield with the tank battalion leading the way. The lack of anti-tank weapons is apparent here as they suffered few casualties; what they lost they attributed to Booby Guts locking up their treads.....I don't understand this....it must be a coding error, they had to mean booby traps. Here's the report. <hands it to Nimitz>

Ground combat at Canton Island

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 38050 troops, 243 guns, 31 vehicles, Assault Value = 600

Defending force 14562 troops, 96 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 241

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 5

Allied max assault: 828 - adjusted assault: 670

Japanese max defense: 144 - adjusted defense: 72

Allied assault odds: 9 to 1 (fort level 5)

Allied forces CAPTURE Canton Island base !!!

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
H8K Emily: 4 destroyed
B5N Kate: 1 destroyed

Japanese ground losses:
1260 casualties reported
Guns lost 33

Allied ground losses:
896 casualties reported
Guns lost 21
Vehicles lost 4

Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 2262
Memorable phrases - 5/3/2008 1:15:24 PM   
tabpub

I think that " There's a mating pair in the target area" will go down as one that I won't forget for a long time.....

Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 2263
RE: Memorable phrases - 5/3/2008 1:51:23 PM   
Terminus

Yup, definitely one for the history books...

(in reply to tabpub)
Post #: 2264
Lt Col. Mednick - 5/4/2008 5:29:59 PM   
Cap Mandrake

************Great Patriotic Air Force Base No. 243, Ulan Bator, January 5, 1943************

Gen. Medvedev, commander of Soviet Air Forces, Siberian District, stands on the edge of the tarmac, his mood matches the very foul weather in Mongolia in January.

Gen. Medvedev: Comarde Colonel, could you please instruct me where the new patriotic runway is so that I may inspect it.

Lt Col. Mednick: You are standing upon it, General.

Gen. Medvedev: <looks down> But I see no markings. There is no lighting. It resembles the parade ground at Red Square.

Lt Col. Mednick: Yes sir. That is a very clever analogy.

Gen. Medvedev: Colonel, were your orders not clear?

Lt Col. Mednick: Yes sir, I was to build a runway for the Great Patriotic Air Force Base No. 243, but the drawings from Irkutsk never arrived, so I took the initiative and designed the runway myself.

Gen. Medvedev: Continue <now a slight note of alrm in his voice>

Lt Col. Mednick: <now with obvious pride holding us an ancient copy of "AVIATOR'S FIELD BOOK" by Capt Oswald Boelcke, it is dated 1916> Sir, I found this brilliant text in the Ulan Bator Great Patriotic Library. Please listen to this passage...."the careful aviator should always endeavor to land his craft or take flight into the wind to lessen his groundspeed.' You see sir, I reasoned that, as one can never predict the wind from day to day with precision, I have designed a airfield that will allow the pilot to land into the wind no matter what direction it comes from.......<he pauses for dramatic effect> Sir the runway of the Great Patriotic Airfield number 243 is a PERFECT circle!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2265
RE: Lt Col. Mednick - 5/4/2008 7:30:26 PM   
BrucePowers

Uh-oh.............

How big a circle?

Post #: 2266
RE: Lt Col. Mednick - 5/4/2008 8:02:16 PM   
Terminus

There's someone who's going to Siberia... Wait, he's already IN Siberia (well, Mongolia, but still)...

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 2267
Great Patriotic Air Force Base No. 243 - 5/4/2008 10:03:28 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Gen. Medvedev: <his Siberian pallor now being replaced with a distinct flusing> And what is the diameter of this circle Comrade Colonel?

Lt Col. Mednick: Ah, yes, page.......24...yes..."to achieve a safe take-off speed, the heavier aeroplanes such as the Albatros C.III may require a take-off run of 250 meters or more". <he beams proudly>

Gen. Medvedev: <a look of defeat on his face> Comrade Colonel, do you mean to tell me we have trucked many hundreds of tons of heavy asphalt to Ulan Bator so that you could build a 250 meter wide circle? Please tell me I am mistaken.

Lt Col. Mednick: Oh, NO sir. You are mistaken, but I take full responsibility. I misinformed you, sir.

Gen. Medvedev: Ah, superb! What is the runway length then?

Lt Col. Mednick: It is 300 meters, the diameter, I mean, sir. I added a full 50 meters for safety.

(BTW...Lt. Col Medrick was introduced some time ago. He has an air rating of "1" but he is said to be a "promising and careful" officer. He was reassigned to Mongolia after he was caught doing immitations of his old regimental political officer.)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 5/4/2008 10:37:58 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2268
RE: Great Patriotic Air Force Base No. 243 - 5/5/2008 1:56:39 AM   
BrucePowers

I am thinking prison or a firing squad here....................

Post #: 2269
RE: Great Patriotic Air Force Base No. 243 - 5/5/2008 6:05:10 AM   
AdmNelson

At least he is not in charge of designing the new Patriotic Soviet aifcraft carriers. Then again to Soviet thinking; the carriers would never have to turn into the wind.

Very Proud Marine Dad

Post #: 2270
RE: Great Patriotic Air Force Base No. 243 - 5/5/2008 6:11:15 AM   
bradfordkay

Just think... it'll make for easy interpretation of the results of any bombing run on the base: "did they put them in the bulls-eye or not?".

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to AdmNelson)
Post #: 2271
RE: Great Patriotic Air Force Base No. 243 - 5/5/2008 2:30:09 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: AdmNelson

At least he is not in charge of designing the new Patriotic Soviet aifcraft carriers. Then again to Soviet thinking; the carriers would never have to turn into the wind.

The Russians actually DID design circular battleships - but it was in the time of the Czars... they tended to spin around uncontrollably... at least one was eventually converted to a floating restaurant!!

EDIT: see also -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_battleship_Novgorod

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 5/5/2008 2:33:47 PM >

(in reply to AdmNelson)
Post #: 2272
RE: Great Patriotic Air Force Base No. 243 - 5/5/2008 4:44:39 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

I am thinking prison or a firing squad here....................

It is not easy to find "volunteers" who are properly cold adapted. I think he will be OK. Let's see....he got kicked out of the Red Army for making sport of a political officer, he was unable to achieve his full potential in the Soviet Air Forces because of a poor effort by the Great Patriotic Design Support Beaureu....hmmm....his naval rating is 19????????

Post #: 2273
RE: Great Patriotic Air Force Base No. 243 - 5/5/2008 4:47:33 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

The Russians actually DID design circular battleships - but it was in the time of the Czars... they tended to spin around uncontrollably... at least one was eventually converted to a floating restaurant!!

Are you sure design is the right word? It is uglier than homemade sin. The Wiki article gently offers that it "was vulnerable to plunging fire"

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 2274
RE: Great Patriotic Air Force Base No. 243 - 5/5/2008 4:55:17 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

Are you sure design is the right word? It is uglier than homemade sin. The Wiki article gently offers that it "was vulnerable to plunging fire"

Well, Wiki article also said it is considered the "Ugliest Warship Ever Built"...

Post #: 2275
RE: Great Patriotic Air Force Base No. 243 - 5/5/2008 6:45:40 PM   
BrucePowers

Well could you at least give him 50 lashes with a wet noodle

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 2276
RE: Great Patriotic Air Force Base No. 243 - 5/6/2008 3:12:10 AM   
Onime No Kyo

I dont know what the heck you guys are laughing at. I see great potential in a circular tank.

Post #: 2277
RE: Great Patriotic Air Force Base No. 243 - 5/6/2008 3:19:16 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

I dont know what the heck you guys are laughing at. I see great potential in a circular tank.

Well, the Russians had one of those also - i am not kidding - but it was like a giant wheel - the thing was about 50 feet tall (circular part stood upright)... actually the thing looked like a giant "pennyfarthing" bicycle (to me)...

EDIT: Here it is (built in 1915):

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 5/6/2008 3:26:47 AM >

Post #: 2278
RE: Great Patriotic Air Force Base No. 243 - 5/6/2008 3:22:01 AM   
BrucePowers

Do the Russians believe in the perfectness of a circle?

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 2279
RE: Great Patriotic Air Force Base No. 243 - 5/6/2008 3:23:48 AM   
rtrapasso

The Germans also had built the "Kugel Panzer" at the end of WW2:

EDIT: Actually - this should be in WITP - the only examples found were models the Germans shipped to the Japanese, and were captured in Manchuria...

The sight of the Kugel Panzer attacking a circular airfield would be amusing...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 5/6/2008 3:31:39 AM >

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 2280
Page:   <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Landing Beach Amber 2 Page: <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI