Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load version

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load version Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load ver... - 5/11/2008 7:55:51 AM   
Sweed

Before buying the game I have some questions about the d'load only game. I have dealt with elicense for years with no problems but never have used digital river. With elicense I know I will never lose my game due to crashes or buying a new computer. Can I be assured that there is a way to do the same with DR?

I will keep my unlock code in a couple of places so it will be safe but can I save the install file and burn it to dvd\cd in case my HD crashes or I buy a new computer?

If I have a crash or get a new computer and I go to reinstall the game will DR "think", since I have used my code once, I already have the game installed and deny me from installing on the new HD or computer?

I'd buy the d'load\physical combo if it were only $10 more but with shipping it is $20 more. Seems the only difference is I get a printed manual(if I can indeed burn the installer to cd), please correct me if I am wrong and there are other advantages to getting
the physical copy of the game.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here.
Post #: 1
RE: Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load... - 5/11/2008 9:43:38 AM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sweed

Before buying the game I have some questions about the d'load only game. I have dealt with elicense for years with no problems but never have used digital river. With elicense I know I will never lose my game due to crashes or buying a new computer. Can I be assured that there is a way to do the same with DR?

I will keep my unlock code in a couple of places so it will be safe but can I save the install file and burn it to dvd\cd in case my HD crashes or I buy a new computer?

If I have a crash or get a new computer and I go to reinstall the game will DR "think", since I have used my code once, I already have the game installed and deny me from installing on the new HD or computer?

I'd buy the d'load\physical combo if it were only $10 more but with shipping it is $20 more. Seems the only difference is I get a printed manual(if I can indeed burn the installer to cd), please correct me if I am wrong and there are other advantages to getting

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here.

You can use burn the downloaded install to DVD for use later. I usually download it, install it, then copy the download file as well as the serial number file onto a DVD for safe keeping. The serial number is your lisence key - I put keep it electronically and usually try to write it on the DVD as well.

And you can print your own copy of the the manual - they have a print ready version that installs with the download.

Rick

(in reply to Sweed)
Post #: 2
RE: Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load... - 5/11/2008 10:24:30 AM   
Hertston

quote:

No. DR isn't in the loop at all after you have been e-mailed your registration code or sent your box. Just install and type in the code when required.

quote:

Unless you particularly want a plastic box and a CD/DVD with a pretty picture on it the manual is the only difference.

(in reply to Sweed)
Post #: 3
RE: Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load... - 5/11/2008 1:21:20 PM   
british exil

Downloading the game onto a new computer is no problem at. All you need is your download key.(serial number) you get this info with an E-mail.

Just got another pc and it worked perfecly.

Mat

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 4
RE: Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load... - 5/11/2008 4:11:08 PM   
Sweed

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

(in reply to Sweed)
Post #: 5
RE: Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load... - 5/11/2008 9:01:36 PM   
Jeffrey H.

FWIW, the manual is not really as good as the full size pdf file, which you can print off at kinkos or wherever.

(in reply to Sweed)
Post #: 6
RE: Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load... - 5/13/2008 3:10:28 AM   
barkhorn45

so if i d/l and install and then copy the folder the game is in and burn it to a cd-r if i have to reinstall i can just place a copy of the folder in the appropriate folder ie program files etc. and it will run or do i have to copy the install to reinstall?

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 7
RE: Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load... - 5/13/2008 3:59:14 AM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: barkhorn45

so if i d/l and install and then copy the folder the game is in and burn it to a cd-r if i have to reinstall i can just place a copy of the folder in the appropriate folder ie program files etc. and it will run or do i have to copy the install to reinstall?

I don't think you'll fit the folder on a CD, but perhaps. My folder is 750+ MB.

I think I'd advise copying the install plus the serial# file and reinstalling in any case. But that's just me.

Rick

(in reply to barkhorn45)
Post #: 8
RE: Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load... - 5/13/2008 4:47:41 AM   
Sweed

Thanks again to all that replied to my inquiry. Due to the good info you provided I took the plunge today and bought AT. Install files burnt to dvd along with serial number and in a safe place.

Only had a chance to play the tutorial and one of the training missions and am very impressed
and maybe feeling a bit overwhelmed. I'm sure a few days with the game should make things much easier.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 9
RE: Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load... - 5/13/2008 4:59:07 AM   
Sweed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

FWIW, the manual is not really as good as the full size pdf file, which you can print off at kinkos or wherever.

I'm from Smalltown USA and I there isn't a Kinkos within 2 hours of where I live.
So, I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question but any idea how much one of these places charges to print out a manual like AT's? If it's not too much I could take the pdf on a flash drive when I visit my son since he lives within a half hour drive of Des Moines.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 10
RE: Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load... - 5/13/2008 5:36:03 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

quote:

I'm from Smalltown USA and I there isn't a Kinkos within 2 hours of where I live.
So, I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question but any idea how much one of these places charges to print out a manual like AT's? If it's not too much I could take the pdf on a flash drive when I visit my son since he lives within a half hour drive of Des Moines.

Can't say because I print mine off at wor.....uhhh a place here that doesn't charge me directly. It's about 130 pages, in color it won't be cheap. Any printer can do it, it's just down to how long you want to wait.

If you really get stuck I can send you the little one I got with the physical copy of the game, it's never going to do me any good.

(in reply to Sweed)
Post #: 11
RE: Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load... - 5/13/2008 6:10:28 AM   
Sweed

quote:

quote:

quote:

Can't say because I print mine off at wor.....uhhh a place here that doesn't charge me directly. It's about 130 pages, in color it won't be cheap. Any printer can do it, it's just down to how long you want to wait.

If you really get stuck I can send you the little one I got with the physical copy of the game, it's never going to do me any good.

Yeah, I kind of figured it couldn't be too cheap. Not really a necessity as I am doing fine with the pdf loaded in the background and move the game down to the task bar. Appreciate you offering to send along your manual but, like I said, I'm getting along ok as is.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 12
RE: Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load... - 5/13/2008 9:12:55 AM   
rickier65

Sweed -

Don't forget to register your game and serial number here at Matrix. And you might want to get the lastest patch.

Rick

(in reply to Sweed)
Post #: 13
RE: Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load... - 5/13/2008 3:09:18 PM   
Sweed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick

Sweed -

Don't forget to register your game and serial number here at Matrix. And you might want to get the lastest patch.

Rick

Already done, registered and patched Thanks for pointing it out though, I'm sure many buyers overlook the members service offered by Matrix.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 14
RE: Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load... - 5/14/2008 1:48:34 PM   
serg3d1

FYI Matrix web shop could have problem with Firefox browser. It's more safe to swith to IE while buying.  My attemt to use Firefox end up in buying AT twice. The problem is that their shop software try to open bank's card verification website not in the new window but inside the frame. Hilarity ensure.

(in reply to Sweed)
Post #: 15
RE: Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load... - 5/14/2008 3:01:41 PM   
Grell

quote:

ORIGINAL: serg3d1

FYI Matrix web shop could have problem with Firefox browser. It's more safe to swith to IE while buying. My attemt to use Firefox end up in buying AT twice. The problem is that their shop software try to open bank's card verification website not in the new window but inside the frame. Hilarity ensure.

Hi Serge,

I have firefox and have no problem ordering and downloading games from Matrix. Maybe you need a newer version of FF.

Regards,

Greg

(in reply to serg3d1)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Considering AT purchase, questions about the d'load version Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI