Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Any Questions?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> RE: Any Questions? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Any Questions? - 11/20/2007 3:48:06 PM   
Joe D.

But is there a (current) computer Civil War game that this game compares to?

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 31
RE: Any Questions? - 11/26/2007 1:20:37 AM   
Joel Billings

Not that I know of.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 32
RE: Any Questions? - 11/27/2007 1:02:22 PM   
Adam Parker

Scratch my question about 512Ram, I've now graduated to a 4Gb system but one thing that I've noticed is that of all my games even at 4Gb, World at War AWD scrolls markedly the slowest and the jerkiest - whilst games such as Forge of Freedom and the AGEOD titles now scroll along at lightning speeds.

Is the ACW map programmed the same as W @ W? I really just don't know what makes map scrolling there so different.

Post #: 33
RE: Any Questions? - 11/27/2007 3:37:09 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker
Scratch my question about 512Ram, I've now graduated to a 4Gb system but one thing that I've noticed is that of all my games even at 4Gb, World at War AWD scrolls markedly the slowest and the jerkiest - whilst games such as Forge of Freedom and the AGEOD titles now scroll along at lightning speeds.

Have you tried changing the map scrolling delay in the AWD settings?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 34
RE: Any Questions? - 11/28/2007 12:17:14 PM   
Adam Parker

I wonder if I'm doing it correct? I've tried setting it as "1" and "6" with no apparent difference.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 35
RE: Any Questions? - 11/28/2007 7:08:24 PM   
Joel Billings

What kind of graphics card are you using?

Post #: 36
RE: Any Questions? - 11/28/2007 10:53:51 PM   
Adam Parker

nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768 Mb.

Post #: 37
RE: Any Questions? - 11/29/2007 2:41:50 AM   
Joel Billings

That's very odd. I would have expected it to make a big difference. I just adjusted my settings on WBTS and at 1 the scroll is super fast while at 6 it's very slow. I don't know why it's not having an impact on your system.

Post #: 38
RE: Any Questions? - 11/29/2007 11:44:18 AM   
Adam Parker

Hi Joel. I tried it again at "1" and though the game is eminently more playable with my new specs, it takes 21 secs to scroll the globe east to west and the map does jerk at it refreshes.

This may be a Vista thing but again, it sure beats my experience playing with 128 video RAM and 512MB system RAM. Just not as smooth as the aforementioned titles which have all showed lightning fast improvements in scrolling. That's no exaggeration.

Look forward to your new design.

Adam.

Post #: 39
RE: Any Questions? - 11/30/2007 7:45:55 AM   
Joel Billings

Something's not right, as the scroll should be much better, especially given your system specs. A 128MB card and 512MB on my systems worked much better than you are reporting. You could post your dxdiag report, although I'm not sure what I'd be looking for.

Post #: 40
RE: Any Questions? - 11/30/2007 3:26:15 PM   
Erik Rutins

Same here - I've got smooth scrolling in AWD on a much less powerful system with the scroll speed set to 2 or 3, no jerking. I'd guess it's probably driver/OS related and hopefully will resolve itself with future driver updates. We'll see if we can duplicate it on our Vista system though and if so, whether it's an issue with WBTS as well. Our Vista system has a 8600GTS, which should be close enough for testing.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 41
RE: Any Questions? - 12/1/2007 12:51:06 AM   
sabre100

Are you running AWD in "Windowed Mode"  if so try full screen mode and see if your map scrolling is better.

Post #: 42
RE: Any Questions? - 12/1/2007 4:55:30 AM   
Adam Parker

Full screen.

Basically the game runs better now than with my old 512 RAM but its scrolling is not up to the other games I have. It could be an AWD/Vista thing but the game runs. That's the main thing.

(in reply to sabre100)
Post #: 43
RE: Any Questions? - 12/7/2007 8:13:37 PM   
ladner

Regarding unit sprites, any particular reason why most the armies have a cavalry sprite?  I would expect to see mostly infantry, since the bulk of the regiments in either side were infantry.

Post #: 44
RE: Any Questions? - 12/8/2007 12:26:13 AM   
Joel Billings

Those are actually leaders (2 horses and a flag is a leader symbol, 1 horse is a cav symbol).

(in reply to ladner)
Post #: 45
RE: Any Questions? - 2/26/2008 6:29:58 AM   
Grifman

Given that more men died from disease during the war, how is such attrition handled? And how is supply handled in the game and what impact does it have? Thanks.

Post #: 46
RE: Any Questions? - 2/26/2008 9:27:59 AM   
Joel Billings

A certain amount of attrition is assumed in the game. However, all units check for attrition each turn and may suffer hits because of it. There are many factors that impact the chance the unit will suffer from this attrition, and being out of supply is a big one. Supplies must be produced in the game and are used automatically each turn to supply units. Units will use extra resources in an area first before consuming supplies, so there is some ability to live off the land. Supply units aren't moved in the game but are automatically moved and expended as needed, with off rail and off road movement of supplies requiring higher consumption of supplies when supplying units. We've tried to eliminate the drudgery of having to move the supplies, but you do have to build them and balancing supply needs with building units is important (supplies are used for building forts, units, depots). Depots are a way to mass supplies in enemy areas to provide an ability for leaders to gain initiative and be able to move offensively. The bottom line is that supplies are very important in the game in many ways.

(in reply to Grifman)
Post #: 47
RE: Any Questions? - 2/27/2008 3:29:15 AM   
Grifman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

A certain amount of attrition is assumed in the game. However, all units check for attrition each turn and may suffer hits because of it. There are many factors that impact the chance the unit will suffer from this attrition, and being out of supply is a big one. Supplies must be produced in the game and are used automatically each turn to supply units. Units will use extra resources in an area first before consuming supplies, so there is some ability to live off the land. Supply units aren't moved in the game but are automatically moved and expended as needed, with off rail and off road movement of supplies requiring higher consumption of supplies when supplying units. We've tried to eliminate the drudgery of having to move the supplies, but you do have to build them and balancing supply needs with building units is important (supplies are used for building forts, units, depots). Depots are a way to mass supplies in enemy areas to provide an ability for leaders to gain initiative and be able to move offensively. The bottom line is that supplies are very important in the game in many ways.

Thanks for the info.

Post #: 48
RE: Any Questions? - 2/27/2008 3:31:25 AM   
Grifman

quote:

Those are actually leaders (2 horses and a flag is a leader symbol, 1 horse is a cav symbol).

This is picky but I really don't like that graphic. Give me an infantry graphic with two stars or some other indicator for the two leaders. Right now the game doesn't look right on the map because it looks like a battle of cavalry units.

Just my opinion.

Post #: 49
RE: Any Questions? - 3/2/2008 10:17:06 PM   
ph4n

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grifman

quote:

This is picky but I really don't like that graphic. Give me an infantry graphic with two stars or some other indicator for the two leaders. Right now the game doesn't look right on the map because it looks like a battle of cavalry units.

Just my opinion.

I agree. I would prefer an infantry symbol as the "basic" troop symbol, and rather use something like: battle flag = leader present/no battle flag = no leader present (doh!) instead. IMHO, that way the player would get a better overview of the situation at a quick glance.

regards,
fredrik

(in reply to Grifman)
Post #: 50
RE: Any Questions? - 3/3/2008 12:19:24 AM   
JudgeDredd

I don't know if it would sate your appetite, but there are icons which you can switch on in the options, which show what other units are there...(see the red circles in my screenshot)

In fact, the icon displayed in an area is the main unit....so if there are militia and artillery in a region, then the artillery icon is displayed...likewise when a leader is in an area, regardless of what other units are there, the ranking leader is displayed. It makes sense being as leaders are absolutely paramount to combat.

Trust me, if you want to know where you are going to make a breakthrough, you will be scanning you leaders...then looking at infantry, artillery, militia and prob in that order.

I know it might seem strange, but because of the importance of leaders, it soon falls into place why they are displayedas the default icon when they are in a region.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ph4n)
Post #: 51
RE: Any Questions? - 5/1/2008 8:49:54 AM   
histgamer

How are armies handled? Actual numbers like 20,000 men or like 2 units of infantry 1 unit of cavalry 1 unit of artillery? I would prefer if it was 20,000 infantry 5,000 cavalry 100 artillery pieces... even better if there were differing types of artillery Parrotts, 3 inch ord rifles, Napoleons.. etc

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 52
RE: Any Questions? - 5/1/2008 6:00:07 PM   
Joel Billings

Each unit of infantry, militia (untrained infantry), cavalry, or mounted (untrained cavalry) represent 2000 men. They can gain experience over time through success in battle. Each artillery or heavy artillery unit represents 20 guns.

Losses are in units damaged (require half production time to repair, along with half population), or destroyed. During and after battles we report on the number of men engaged and that are casualties. There is an attrition system that allows partial damage on units to accumulate and then lead to a better chance to hit a unit, and this leads in effect to smaller numbers of casualties than just 1000 or 2000 (when a unit is damaged or destroyed).

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 53
RE: Any Questions? - 5/1/2008 6:11:52 PM   
PyleDriver

Each brigade of infantry or cavalry is 2000 men, an artillery battery is 20 guns, each fleet is 2 ships. The artillery comes in 2 types light and heavy, other than that you just imagine what types those are...From this you get to build an army anyway you see fit. Sometimes you just have to scrap together what you have of trained units, and artillery, look for your best corps commanders, and move them to your army commanders. Thus you can have an army any size or shape you want. Thats where production and what you produce, is such a big part of this game. Not enough supply then theres heavy attrition in the field, not enough artillery then you won't win battles.

Jon

Well it looks like Joel and I posted at the same time, but beat agian. I can't seem to beat him at anything...lol...

< Message edited by PyleDriver -- 5/1/2008 6:15:28 PM >

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 54
RE: Any Questions? - 5/2/2008 7:22:31 AM   
Crimguy

Like WitP, this game seems to insist on having icons without any text.  Do they have tool tips?

Also, I realize I could just wait for the game to come out, but could someone post info as to what the icons mean, what numbers on the map mean?  Also, what the numbers on the counters mean.  I'm reading Joel's AAR with interest, but having some idea what I'm seeing would help me understand. . .

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 55
RE: Any Questions? - 5/2/2008 9:35:07 AM   
PyleDriver

If your looking at the white numbers, its SR movement, rail or naval transport. If its the leader numbers, wow, thats a hole new world. I don't have the time tonight, I'm tring to win this AAR with Joel (finishing my turn), but I'll post tomarrow more about leaders and those numbers...If theres other numbers in question, let me know.

Jon

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 56
RE: Any Questions? - 5/2/2008 6:05:54 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimguy
Like WitP, this game seems to insist on having icons without any text.  Do they have tool tips?

Yes, pretty much everything has a tool tip.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 57
RE: Any Questions? - 5/9/2008 1:54:25 PM   
ratters72

As 1 in 13 (roundabout) fell to disease in the ACW could someone tell me how disease and attrition is handled? eg-is it taken replaced from a recruitment pool?  Can it rip through army, especially in winter? 

Post #: 58
RE: Any Questions? - 5/9/2008 5:46:47 PM   
Joel Billings

There is an attrition formula that factors in location, supply condition and season. This is for exceptional attrition. It damages inf/cav units and destroyes miltia/mounted units. In November 1864 in the current AAR, the Confederates had 1 unit damaged, while the Union had 6-7 damaged. That's partially due to the fact that the Union outnumbers the Confederacy by 2-3 to 1, and the fact that most of the Union army is in hostile territory (and luck).

(in reply to ratters72)
Post #: 59
RE: Any Questions? - 5/12/2008 9:54:20 PM   
Pford

Looking through the AARs it seems kind of onerous to distinguish between the Union and Confederate army icons without getting about 5 inches from the monitor. Of course, these are screenshots. Can these be better distinguished?

Civil War battles tended to be grueling, evenly matched affairs thanks to terrain and, especially, the unprecedented effectiveness of defensive weaponry. There weren't that many blowouts, Fredericksburg a notable exception. In the AARs you appear to get many lopsided battles. Was this intentional?

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> RE: Any Questions? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI