Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Panzer General

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Panzer General Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Panzer General - 9/30/2000 12:04:00 AM   
Big Johnson

There is an old game called Panzer General. It is I belive based on Windows 95. I had it at one time. It was fun but had a crash problem that I never resloved. This may be a game for Matrix.

Post #: 1
- 9/30/2000 12:11:00 AM   
Fuerte

You can buy it, see http://www.panzergeneral3.com/

(in reply to Big Johnson)
Post #: 2
- 9/30/2000 12:24:00 AM   
Warhorse

Ya, I still own it, haven't reloaded it into the computer again, but always liked it, what crash did you have? I liked Pacific General also, have that, was neat 'cause you could make a campaign with 3rd party programs, and could use all the maps someone had converted from the previous 5 star games in the 'general' series. Have star general also, this one never caught on, I take it, liked it alot too. ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Post #: 3
- 9/30/2000 12:27:00 AM   
Drake

You can get Panzer Genaral for free at Mplayer.com Panzer Genaral 2 was a good one. Played it for like 3 years and had a great time. Most have played like 10,000 battle of this on Mplayer. Panzer Genaral 3D I would not tuch with a 10 foot pool. Was made more for people who like nice graphics and stuff. Not for the hard core wargamer.

Post #: 4
- 9/30/2000 12:40:00 AM   
Fuerte

But everybody likes nice graphics... is the 3D version worse in the actual gameplay? I don't like the scale, was it the same in PG2?

Post #: 5
- 9/30/2000 12:47:00 AM   
Desert Fox

quote:

Originally posted by Drake: Panzer Genaral 3D I would not tuch with a 10 foot pool. Was made more for people who like nice graphics and stuff. Not for the hard core wargamer.
I would not go that far. Yes, panzer general 3d took a whole ton of liberty with the actual historicity of the units and battles and the like. Getting prototype King Tigers as germans in north africa is definitely not historical, nor is capturing a Tiger in operation Torch as the US. However, the game is fun and challenging, though it has limited playability. If that is all you want in a game, fun with a historical setting, then I think its a good buy.

Post #: 6
- 9/30/2000 12:52:00 AM   
Fuerte

I found this at http://www.panzergeneraliii.com/pzg3d/index2.html Panzer General 3D 1.16 Bit Color 2.True 3D Environment. All maps and units are done in 3D and the player can rotate and zoom in on the maps. Forest, cities and even units will burn or leave wrecks. 3.Particle system (3D) based animations. 4.8 Campaigns based on the West Front. 4 major, 4 minor. Five campaigns are allied, 3 are German. 5.Leader based game provides up to 5 specials derived from unit characteristics 6.Player Controlled Promotions. The player prior to each battle promotes leaders. The player earns promotions for successful completion of a scenario. 7.New Action Combat System. Action-based, allows a leader to give multiple commands to his unit in each turn. 8.Advanced order system. Leaders have access to standard (refit, resupply, entrench, etc.) and veteran orders (Blitz Attack, Out of The Sun, Bombardment, etc.) 9.60+ additional single and multi-player scenarios. 10.Requires the presence of a special video card in the owner's computer. Panzer General II 1.8-Bit Graphics 2.16 Hand Painted 2D maps. 3.Simple 2D firing animations. 4.5 Campaigns in Europe. 5.Unit based game with only two random specials. 6.Units gain experience during combat and thus not controlled by a player. 7.Each unit can move and fire once in a turn. 8.50+ additional single and multi-player maps. 9.Requires a standard video card.

Post #: 7
- 9/30/2000 12:54:00 AM   
Drake

Gess im hard on that one becouse I was expecting a lot more from it before it came out and then when it did came out it was just lacking in my mind big time.

Post #: 8
- 9/30/2000 1:01:00 AM   
Fuerte

Imagine a game like this and with scale and engine like SPWAW... Check the Panzer General III: Scorched Earth preview here: http://www.gamecenter.com/Pc/Previews/Panzer/ [This message has been edited by Fuerte (edited September 29, 2000).]

Post #: 9
- 9/30/2000 2:03:00 AM   
Bondy

PG 3D has (IMO) a terrible interface. It is form way over function and the playability does not hold a candle to PG1 or PG2. The 3d view looks great on screenshots, but makes it very hard to know what is going on on the map. It adds some great new rules but I still never got beyond a few scenario's. I tried so hard getting into PG 3D, reinstalled it at least 6 times but it's a coaster now. When I get into the mood for a PG "fast war", I get out the pretzels and play either PG1 or 2. Great mods were made for both these games too - people are still making mods for them in fact. The brand new campaigns which are much tougher than the originals is what I appreciate most - When not playing SPWAW of course. That would have been an exciting time to work at SSI - PG1 just released and SP1 gold version being tested. I am so thrilled Matrix has revamped these classic old SSI games (SP series, WIR and PacWar). How about adding Panzer General to the "Matrix Project" list? I would give an eye for the original PG1 source code (sigh).

Post #: 10
- 9/30/2000 2:09:00 AM   
Fuerte

I have never played any of the Panzer General series, so it is nice to hear your opinions. I forgot, I played Allied General a bit (it was fine, but I didn't like the scale too much...). Anyhow, the preview above seemed very positive, so perhaps PG3:SE is worth something. No reason for PG:Matrix Project IMO.

Post #: 11
- 9/30/2000 2:11:00 AM   
Bondy

More on PG 3D - just checked the Scorched Earth site which includes these listed features: -New overview map for better troop control -An intuitive and easy to use interface -More popup screens to keep players better informed Maybe they are addressing some of PG 3D shortcomings I mentioned in the previous post - good for them if that's the case.

Post #: 12
- 9/30/2000 5:31:00 AM   
Colonel Klink

quote:

Originally posted by Big Johnson: There is an old game called Panzer General. It is I belive based on Windows 95. I had it at one time. It was fun but had a crash problem that I never resloved. This may be a game for Matrix.
Panzer General was originally a DOS game. They later released a version for Windows. Personally, i loved the old PG1 game. The only problem i encountered with the windows version was the same as allied general.. Prestige Bug screwed up PBEM!!!!

Post #: 13
- 9/30/2000 6:46:00 AM   
Big Johnson

The Panzer General that I had was a turn based hex game. The graphics were marginal. But it was a lot of fun. No it wasn't accurate but I liked it anyway. Still have it sort of anyway. Last I saw it was on my friend's kitchen table. Around the 3rd mission it would crash. It had a patch that was supposed to fix it but if anything it made it worse. The one I am speaking of is to my knowledge the 1st Panzer General and may have been based on the doss version. The first mission begins with an attack on Poland if my memory is correct.

Post #: 14
- 10/1/2000 1:10:00 AM   
Supervisor

It is precisely because of this kind of scale distortion you have so accurately shown that I do not like about Panzer gerneral or East Fron-West Front. Look at the tank dwarfing the tiny road it is on. The same with the buildings. The tanks and planes are bigger than almost the entire town and lake. SP is much more realistic in it's play simply because the scale is more realistic. If PG and EF-WF had scales like SP, it would be much more realistic in actually making it feel like a REAL war rather than toy soldiers playing in a town built of Legos . To me if I want to have that kind of effect, I would play Green Army Men. QUOTE]Originally posted by Fuerte: Imagine a game like this and with scale and engine like SPWAW... Check the Panzer General III: Scorched Earth preview here: http://www.gamecenter.com/Pc/Previews/Panzer/ [This message has been edited by Fuerte (edited September 29, 2000).][/QUOTE] ------------------ Grenadier Matrix Games Technical Writer

Post #: 15
- 10/1/2000 1:48:00 AM   
Bonzo

Panzer General I was a division level game intended to be more like chess than real life. I bought it (DOS) when it first came out until PGII arrived. PGI is scaled (IIRC) at the DIVISION level. 1 tank icon was a tank brigade. 1 hex was was miles across. PGII was a slightly smaller scale (brigade?). I played it since it came out until about 2 monthes ago when I bought a new computer & started playing SPWaW. Again, icons are batalions and hexes are a few miles across. If you look at them as a type of chess, they are very enjoyable. If you expect reality, you will be disapointed in them (and ALL computer games). Bonzo ------------------ Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Coordinator 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters http://dreadnaught.home.icq.com [email]nwbattalion@icqmail.com[/email]

Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://www.nwbattalion.com E-mail

Post #: 16
- 10/1/2000 5:21:00 PM   
Bondy

Regarding the graphics of PG and it not being realistic: These icons are not supposed to represent a single tank or plane! As others have said they graphically represent units with certain strengths and weaknesses like chess pieces. The tank icon will represent a armoured division etc.. The game is much more complex than chess, and you can't compare it to the SP series since it is grand strategy versus tactical strategy. It is a simple but very clever game based on a Japanese WW2 game designed for the Sega Genesis console system. It is pretty easy to beat the AI (as with most games) but is a lot of fun versus another person, and games are fairly quick. It's a beer & pretzels game all the way but it would take a long time to master it.

Post #: 17
- 10/2/2000 12:49:00 AM   
Von Rom

I still play PG1 and PG2. They are different from SP:WAW, but still enjoyable. Many talented people have made new campaigns, sound files, equipment files, etc to make PG2 a much more realistic wargame. There is a lot going on at the forums right now. Why not check it out: Check out JP's Panzers: http://pub24.ezboard.com/bjpspanzers ------------------ A King Tiger can give you a definite edge... [This message has been edited by Von Rom (edited October 01, 2000).]

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Panzer General Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI