Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  92 93 [94] 95 96   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/8/2008 1:58:12 AM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Nice work CF. 

I checked out the 1-700 site of Hibiki and it is wonderful.  I don't remember that sort of detail on any of the models I built!

Aye, I built several dozen myself ( growing up on a secluded farm can give you a perspective on boring!). Nothing I built or saw comes close to that sort of detail.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2791
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/8/2008 2:03:51 AM   
John 3rd

I have to agree.  I built a massive number of those models and blew up many of them on July 4th every year!  Wish I had the kits now so I could build them with some respect.  Things are darned expensive now...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 2792
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/8/2008 7:58:33 AM   
Shark7

Right now I've got a 1/700 scale Kasumi and a 1/700 scale Chikuma awaiting some time on the builders slip. Been putting off working on them till I have the time to devote to getting them built right. These newer kits are really nice, a lot more detailed and crisper molds than they had when I was a kid.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2793
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/8/2008 9:55:28 PM   
Cuttlefish

January 28, 1944

Course: None
Attached to: Disbanded in port
Mission: None
System Damage: 0
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 475

Orders: Await further orders.

---

“I still say signing the Tripartite Pact was a huge mistake,” says Yoshitake. He and Shoji are up on the searchlight platform, doing routine lubrication and maintenance on the big Type 92 searchlight. “It helped drag us into the war, and what have we gotten out of it? Italy is out of the war and a battleground now, and I heard yesterday that the Russians recently crossed into Poland. Hand me that spanner, will you?”

Shoji hands him the spanner. “The Germans have kept the Soviet Union busy,” he says. “We might have real trouble in this war if we had to fight them as well.”

“Bah,” says Yoshitake. “The Soviets are Asians too. They should be our allies, not that idiot Hitler.”

“What are you, some kind of Communist?” Shoji asks.

“It’s not about politics, it’s about race,” says Yoshitake. “Sure, we have had trouble with the Russians before, but against the West we have a common cause. Surely Stalin can see the advantages to the Co-Prosperity Sphere.” He grunts with effort. “Damned rust. Put some grease on there, would you?”

He steps back and Shoji does so. “So what do you think will happen if the Soviets defeat Germany?” he asks.

“Maybe they will join us,” says Yoshitake. “There is no love lost between Russia and America or England. All they have in common is their enemy, Germany.”

“I don’t know,” says Shoji. “Those damned Cossacks have long memories. Don’t you think they still want Port Arthur back, and more besides? There, try it now.”

Yoshitake attacks the bolt once again. “Like I said, the cause we are fighting for is their cause, too. I think we should…” Before he can complete his thought he is interrupted by a growling voice from behind him.

“I think you idiots should stop babbling about things of which you know nothing,” it says. Yoshitake stifles a yelp and Shoji lurches so violently he almost steps into the bucket of grease. They whirl around to see Shun at the top of the ladder and simultaneously brace to attention. Shun eyes them balefully.

“You two are not supposed to think,” he says. “This is fortunate, because you both stink at it. You are supposed to finish this job. Concentrate on that and leave the thinking to the experts. If you must talk, talk about things you know something about. I realize that shortens the list to eating, sleeping, and pissing, but work with what you have.”

“Yes, Chief,” both men chorus. Shun gives them a last disgusted look and then vanishes down the ladder as silently as he came. The two sailors look at each other.

“So,” says Shoji after a moment. “What is your favorite food?”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2794
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/8/2008 10:20:23 PM   
Terminus

Heh... I'm reminded of Agent Gibbs from NCIS; he also has the ability to sneak up on people completely undetected. Not quite as menacing as Shun, though.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2795
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/8/2008 10:23:35 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

“You two are not supposed to think,” he says. “This is fortunate, because you both stink at it. You are supposed to finish this job. Concentrate on that and leave the thinking to the experts. If you must talk, talk about things you know something about. I realize that shortens the list to eating, sleeping, and pissing, but work with what you have.”

Hmm . . . something's bothering Shun more than he cares to admit. Maybe he was more shaken by Umeda's invasion of his family home -- or maybe he still doesn't like the idea of Riku as a son-in-law.

The scene with the urn and Lt. Miharu was beautifully done, BTW.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2796
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/8/2008 10:26:22 PM   
Shark7

I really get the feeling it would be less painfull to fight an enraged grizzly bear than a slightly annoyed Shun...

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2797
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/9/2008 1:17:13 AM   
Onime No Kyo

I think Shun is just having a hard time letting go of his little girl. I'm pretty sure he knows he made the right choice, though.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 2798
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/10/2008 2:25:24 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 29, 1944

---

Late in the afternoon on the 28th rain starts to fall in the Tokyo area. As night falls the wind shifts to the north and temperatures sink. The rain begins to freeze as it lands, and by midnight snow is falling.

The snow tails off around sunrise on the 29th, but the morning light gives Hibiki a strange and different look. Ice coats her decks and icicles hang from the stays and backstays, from the rails, and from almost everything else. On level surfaces it is covered by a layer of snow, and walking even a few steps topsides becomes an adventure. Crewmen slip and curse and think of the stifling tropical heat in which they have spent so much of the war. Suddenly it doesn’t seem so bad.

The only solution available to Hibiki is to clear the ice by hand. Midshipman Konada leads a large detail to accomplish this purpose. Konada watches carefully as experienced members of the deck force, especially petty officers such as Shun and Aikawa, show the crew the most efficient methods of breaking up the ice. Before long he is no longer just standing around and supervising but is an active participant. Despite the -6 C. temperature it is heavy work and soon the young officer is sweating profusely under his neatly tailored and buttoned jacket.

He stops for a moment and looks around to make sure the work is progressing as it should. It is, the petty officers are making sure of that. Konada hesitates, then unbuttons his jacket, rolls up his sleeves, and returns to work. He sets a strong pace and soon steps back and turns the detail into a competition among small groups to see who can clear the ice the fastest. He moves among the groups, tossing out encouragement and insults, as they move up and down the ship. The groups cheerfully taunt each other as they pick up speed. Ice and snow flies over the rails and into the sea

Captain Ishii and Lieutenant Miharu look down on this scene from one of the observation platforms.

“This much ice is just an annoyance,” Ishii comments. “In some conditions in the north this time of year it can build up so heavily on a superstructure that the ship’s stability is affected.”

“Then I rather hope our next assignment is not a convoy run to the Kuriles,” says Lieutenant Miharu. “This is enough ice for me.”

Captain Ishii nods agreement. “Has the paperwork on Konada’s promotion come back yet?” he asks.

“Yes sir,” says the lieutenant. “He’s an ensign now, he just doesn’t know it.”

“I’ll tell him this afternoon,” says Ishii. He reaches out and snaps an icicle off the frozen canvas covering one of the binoculars. After contemplating the icy spear for a moment he cocks his arm back and then sends the icicle spinning out away from the ship and into the sea.

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 5/10/2008 2:52:30 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2799
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/10/2008 2:40:29 AM   
thegreatwent

This stuff is just poetry CF! I always read accounts of tall ships rounding horn with amazement, just imagine the Great White Fleet going through the Straits of Magellan. Those old BB's were wet cold ships, must have been miserable.

That period may have been the only time that sailors envied the Black Gang in the furnaces

Woot, just earned my first star

< Message edited by thegreatwent -- 5/10/2008 2:41:31 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2800
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/10/2008 5:33:12 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Way to go Konada. Another wayward young man earns his spurs under the tutiledge of Ishii, Miharu and Shun. Its a shame to come down with roaring pneumonia the day youre promoted to Ensign.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2801
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/11/2008 11:49:08 AM   
GrahamFife

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 05/13/43

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Air attack on Akyab , at 30,29

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter VIC x 10

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 4

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x Beaufighter VIC bombing at 2000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 62,44

Japanese Ships
DD Hibiki

Allied Ships
SS Rasher

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 2802
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/12/2008 10:59:52 AM   
Durbik

quote:

“Bah,” says Yoshitake. “The Soviets are Asians too. They should be our allies, not that idiot Hitler.”

Is this based on real japanese beliefs about Russians? Did they really consider them Asians in general?

< Message edited by Durbik -- 5/12/2008 5:12:55 PM >

obey the fist!

(in reply to GrahamFife)
Post #: 2803
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 5/12/2008 5:00:32 PM   
gladiatt

quote:

ORIGINAL: marky

I declare all ye WITPers to bow to the master of creative writing!

I agree !!.
Creative, fun, well documented, interesting, and it give a feeling of true, and to keep humanity above the facts of war.
GREAT !

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 2804
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/12/2008 7:51:04 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Durbik
quote:

"Bah," says Yoshitake. "The Soviets are Asians too. They should be our allies, not that idiot Hitler."

Is this based on real japanese beliefs about Russians? Did they really consider them Asians in general?

I think Yoshitake’s attitude was not uncommon. While geographically accurate (most of the former Soviet Union was in Asia, after all) it was perhaps politically naïve. Here is a quote from John Toland's book "The Rising Sun" describing one Japanese officer's thoughts during the surrender ceremonies on board the Missouri:

"Beside him Admiral Tomioka was consumed by wonder and anger - wonder that the Americans showed no signs of contempt for the Japanese and anger at the presence of the Soviet delegates; they were part Asian, yet had ignored Japan's plea to act as peacemaker and then stabbed her in the back in Manchuria."

(in reply to Durbik)
Post #: 2805
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/12/2008 7:52:48 PM   
princep01

I suspect that among common citizens and sailors at this level that this attitude was fairly prevalent. Given the propaganda of the Japanese government, that would not surprise me at all. However, as Chief Shun noted, perhaps it would be better for them to discuss things that they really understand:).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Durbik

quote:

(in reply to Durbik)
Post #: 2806
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/13/2008 12:17:48 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 30, 1944

---

Taiki is below decks, inspecting the 25mm ammunition, when he is approached by Shun. Shun waves off the young petty officer’s attempt to come to attention.

“Relax,” growls Shun. “I want to talk to you about a personal matter. May I ask a favor of you, Takahashi? You must feel free to refuse if you do not want to do it.”

Taiki has his own thoughts about how difficult it would be to refuse a request from Shun, even an unofficial one, but he nods. “Of course, Chief. Please ask. If it is in my power I will gladly do it.”

“My mother and daughter are already in Tokyo,” Shun says. “Will you act as nakodo?”

Taiki is stunned. A nakodo is a go-between in arranging a marriage; they are responsible for finding a suitable match, negotiating with the families, and setting up and supervising the first meeting between the prospective couple, among other things. Though Taiki has made jokes in the past about operating in this capacity he has never dreamed he would be formally asked to do the job.

But he does not feel he can refuse. Who else, even a professional nakodo, could possibly understand this strange and difficult situation?

“Of course,” he says. “Provided that Ariga agrees.”

“I suspect he will,” Shun says dryly. He seems to relax a bit. “Please ask him and let me know,” he says.

Taiki agrees. Shun thanks him gravely and then departs. After he is gone Taiki begins replacing the 25mm magazines in their racks. As he does so he ponders this turn of events. Sailor, petty officer, gun captain, husband, and now nakodo – fate seems intent lately on providing him with new and interesting roles. He suspects he might need some help with this new one, though.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2807
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/13/2008 12:41:49 AM   
Cuttlefish

January 31, 1944

---

Taiki needs a couple of days off. Lieutenant Miharu is inclined to grumble a little but agrees readily enough once Taiki explains the situation. Taiki then immediately departs the ship and heads into the city.

---

Utako Iwakami sips her tea and looks across the table at the earnest young navy man. She is one of Tokyo’s most respected nakodo and ordinarily commands a high fee for her services. But this young man’s request was so unusual that she is offering her advice for free. Besides, she thinks, it is the least she can do on behalf of all the men serving to defend Japan from her enemies.

She has spent decades as a nakodo and partly as a result is a shrewd judge of motive and character. She likes the young man immediately. It is too bad he is already married, she thinks, because she can think of two or three suitable matches for him without even trying.

“The hardest part,” she tells him, “is usually finding a good match for someone. There is so much to consider – character, family, social standing, interests, desires for the future, and so on. But that job has already been done for you. So all you need to know are the formalities that follow.” She details these, and the young navy man listens carefully to every word.

“I thank you,” he says when she is done. “I think I understand.”

“There is one other thing,” Utako says. “A good nakodo’s work does not end when the young couple is married. She – or he – must keep an eye on them as their marriage progresses and be willing to step in with help or advice if things do not seem to be going well. If you are to help them get married you must also be willing to help work to ensure that the marriage is a happy one.”

“I think there is little doubt of that,” says the young man. “They are very much in love.”

“Love!” says Utako scornfully. “Listen to me. There is love, and then there is a long and happy marriage. The two have little in common. The young couple must be willing to work at it, and they must have help. Are you willing to do that? If you are not I would advise you to stop right now.”

The young man seems to think about this deeply. This is good, she thinks. It is all very well to be young and foolish and to think that love will conquer all, but she knows better.

---

Taiki returns to the ship and dons his dress uniform. He then seeks out Shun and, speaking formally, recommends Riku as a match for his daughter. Shun sits there a moment, his jaw working. Despite that fact that he had requested this he does not seem to be having an easy time actually saying the words.

“I agree,” he finally grates out. Taiki bows formally and leaves before the Chief can say anything else.

--

Taiki then packs an overnight bag and leaves the ship. He reaches the train station in time to catch the afternoon train to Nagoya. His actual target is a village just to the north, the home of the Ariga family.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2808
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/13/2008 12:48:25 AM   
Terminus

Damn, you can almost HEAR the grinding of Shun's teeth...

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2809
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/13/2008 1:10:55 AM   
Mynok

And his orifices slam shut......

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2810
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/13/2008 2:27:02 AM   
tocaff

CF the thing that makes your yarn so good is that your characters are alive and the war is just a part of their lives, big but just part.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 2811
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/13/2008 2:28:48 AM   
Cuttlefish

February 1, 1944

---

There is a faintly sour smell in the Ariga household. Taiki politely pretends not to notice. In any event he does not blame Mrs. Ariga, who is a small, plain, and overly tired woman who is working 12 hours a day as a seamstress to support the family. Her husband, on the other hand, is a different story. He is a stocky, unemployed man who has already done serious damage to a bottle of cheap sake despite the fact that it is early in the morning.

Their married daughter, also present, would ordinarily take up the slack in maintaining the household, but that does not seem to be the case here. Her husband, a fit-looking man of around 30, is also in the room. He seems very proud of the badge proclaiming him to be in charge of village air-raid warnings. Taiki thinks about asking him how many air raids he has helped to warn against, but diplomatically decides against it.

Taiki’s dress uniform is crisp, though he has removed his cap and shoes. He formally recommends Nanami Shun as a prospective bride for Riku and stands awaiting their response.

Riku’s father grunts. “This girl, how much money does her father have?” he asks. His wife remains seated, eyes downcast.

“Her father has served with distinction in the Imperial Japanese Navy for twenty-three years,” says Taiki. “It is a position of respect, but not one that pays overly well. She brings little money to marriage, but much honor and happiness.”

“Honor and happiness,” sneers the brother in law. “That’s well enough for the bridegroom, I suppose, but what about the rest of us?”

Taiki takes a deep breath. He is beginning to see why Riku never talks about his family and rarely visits them.

“It is a fair match,” he says evenly. “Riku Ariga also brings little to the marriage.”

“That is not my fault,” grumbles the father. “I’ve got this bad leg, you see…”

“Yes, yes,” says Taiki hastily. He is already tired of hearing about the leg. “The fact remains that this is a fine girl, of high moral character and great beauty. The two of them are deeply in love and have overcome great obstacles. Riku will hardly accept anyone else, in any case. May I have your agreement that they may be wed?”

“But she is Ryukyun,” says Riku’s sister. “Really, they are hardly civilized there.”

“And poor besides,” says her husband. “It just doesn’t seem…”

Taiki has had enough. “Silence!” he roars. All of them shut up. Taiki grimaces. He suspects this is not how most nakodo do the job, but he is going to do this his way now. One thing about the last decade in Japan, he thinks, is that civilians now almost automatically defer to anyone wearing a uniform. He is going to use that reflex to his advantage.

“I have made this a polite request,” he says, biting out the words. “You have made your points. Now I will make mine. I will leave here with your blessing for this marriage or I will find out why two apparently fit men are not active members of the armed forces. Am I clear?”

“I am an air-raid warden…” begins the brother-in-law weakly, but Taiki glares at him so ferociously that he falls silent. There is a moment of quiet, then Riku’s mother raises her head for the first time.

“Riku has our blessing,” she says quietly. “Please let us know when the wedding will be.”

“I will, Mrs. Ariga,” Taiki says. “Thank you.” He goes to the door, where he picks up his cap and puts on his shoes. He then turns to face the occupants one more time.

“Thank you all for your hospitality,” he says politely. “Good day.” As he steps out onto the dirt road he puts on his cap and then takes a deep breath of the clean country air. Without looking back he walks away, a thin layer of snow crunching under his neatly shined shoes.

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 5/13/2008 4:01:40 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2812
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/13/2008 3:55:42 AM   
1EyedJacks

Oh my!

What an excellent story so far. Thank you.

TTFN,

Mike

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2813
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/13/2008 3:58:53 AM   
Onime No Kyo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2814
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/13/2008 4:06:49 AM   
princep01

Brilliant, Cuttlefish.

Taiki, should he survive the war, will travel in high diplomatic circles in the restored Japan.  Riku's business acumen is already renown.  Should he survive the war and being Shun's son-in-law, he shall establish Toshiba or its ilk, live long and prosper.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 2815
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/13/2008 9:02:48 AM   
histgamer

In a horrible mood and pissed off at myself yet somehow those last three stories allow me to forget all that at least temporarily... CF you are truely a gift to this community.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 2816
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/13/2008 2:30:35 PM   
Terminus

Taiki seems to be taking an... unorthodox approach to his position as nakodo...

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2817
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/13/2008 3:02:07 PM   
Mike Solli

Cuttlefish, when the war (and AAR) are over, will you be so kind as to let us know what the future holds for those who survive the war?  You know we'll have to know.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2818
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/13/2008 3:27:06 PM   
tocaff

An excellent idea put forth by Mike that I heartily second.  The end of the game will result in a technical ending to the AAR but can a story so well woven be left with unraveled ends?  Besides hints of the post war future have already been sown.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 2819
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 5/13/2008 4:20:12 PM   
gladiatt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

October 16, 1942

Course: Nothwest
Attached to: TF 79
Mission: Air combat
System Damage: 9
Fuel: 147

Orders: Return to Kwajalein.

---

Taiki and Riku are in the forward 25mm gun tub with a bucket of grease, lubricating the gun carriage. It had rained earlier in the day and it is still cloudy, so while the air is warm and humid they feel fortunate not to be in the direct sun.

When the job is finished they test the action in the swivel and elevation of the guns. Taiki is satisfied, so they cap the bucket and prepare to climb down the ladder.

“May I ask a question, Petty Officer Takahashi?” asks Shiro, wiping his hands on a rag. Taiki sighs inwardly. He would like to tell his friend to just drop the titles when they were alone, but he knows this is a bad idea.

“Certainly, Seaman Kuramata,” is what he replies.

“I was talking the other day with Ri…with Seaman Ariga,” says Shiro, “and he said something about the books that would be written about this war after it is over.”

“It’s an interesting thought,” says Taiki. “I imagine there will be a great many of them.” Shiro nods.

“That’s what I thought too, Petty Officer,” he says. “But I imagine that most of them will be written by officers or by historians. Tell me, do you think that anyone would want to read a book written by an ordinary sailor?” Taiki pauses for a moment and thinks about the question.

“I think so,” he says. “Certainly I would. But I think even those who aren’t sailors might want to read such a book. I rather think most historians will see things in terms of battleships and aircraft carriers, in terms of strategy and the doings of admirals and statesmen. The point of view of someone on a small ship in the middle of a big war might be very interesting. Why?” he asks. “Are you thinking of writing something like that?” Shiro shrugs and looks a little embarrassed.

“No, not really,” he says. “I am just a woodcarver at heart. I am not a very good writer. I just wondered if anyone will tell our story when this is all over.”

“Someone should,” says Taiki.

---

Excerpt from “Japanese Destroyer Attack!” by Shiro Kuramata, Ballentine Mori Press, 1963. Translated by Captain Ben Packard, USN (ret.). Original Japanese title: “Small Ship, Big War”.

…but of course none of us below decks knew what all the running around was for at the time. We just knew that we had spent almost every day of the last three months at sea, and that we were tired both mentally and physically. It is true that we had not been under attack in that time, but all the same there is much physically demanding work in the day to day operation of a warship. Also, the need to remain constantly alert in conditions where attack could come at any time from enemy planes, submarines, and surface ships is very draining when sustained for a long period.

Fortunately the ship’s machinery also needed rest, so we had hopes that perhaps when we got to Kwajalein we would get at least a few days ashore. As it turned out our wishes were granted…

well, i'm sorry disturbing this thread by reading a year after it was written. But i must admit it is certainly one of the best war story i've ever read ! There's action, there time of waiting, of fear, there are humans with differents thoughts, and there is even animals (turtles, birds...). Its great

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2820
Page:   <<   < prev  92 93 [94] 95 96   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  92 93 [94] 95 96   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI