Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWiF Map Review - America

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWiF Map Review - America Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/17/2008 4:07:43 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Last in the westward movement. There is a chorus from Anchorage coming to our barbershop convention in Hawaii in late October.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 511
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/17/2008 4:09:29 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Moving south, and starting the next east-west strip.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 512
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/17/2008 4:10:57 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Heading back east, to the land of lakes.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 513
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/17/2008 4:12:29 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Continnuing east. There were rather a lot of changes to this area as I recall.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 514
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/17/2008 4:14:07 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Moving south. A very busy section of the map.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 515
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/17/2008 4:15:45 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

13th and last in the series. Eureka!

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 516
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/17/2008 7:44:34 AM   
Mingus Roberts

Great to see Whitehorse on the map, but the Yukon river is navigable to Whitehorse as you no doubt learned in grade school. You have severely truncated the river that flows past my house! The Yukon is the third longest in North America (the Mackenzie - not far from here is the longest). Robert Service is rolling in his grave... how will I get a dog team to Lake Laberge this winter without the frigging river? Vital battles will no doubt be fought here, so it MUST be accurate. Oh yeah, and there should be more mountain in the Yukon;)

MR

Post #: 517
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/17/2008 7:15:40 PM   
Norman42

Spent some time looking over the maps last night (the wife tells me I used to only look at her that way).  Aside from drooling over the quality and immensity of these maps, I didn't find any very outstanding errors. A few obsure place names for rail heads in Canada that could be changed to something more accurate, but nothing major.

The one change on the North America map that I think should be done is a label for the Los Alamos hex, the place that ushered in the Nuclear Age.

A quote that I always found interesting was when a biographer was interviewing D. Eisenhower after his presidency he asked "What do you think were the 2 most historically important places in WW2.  Stalingrad? Normandy? Pearl Harbor?"  He responded. "Los Alamos and Auschwitz. Those others only changed the tide of war.  These changed Humanity".

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to Mingus Roberts)
Post #: 518
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/17/2008 7:26:41 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norman42
The one change on the North America map that I think should be done is a label for the Los Alamos hex, the place that ushered in the Nuclear Age.

A quote that I always found interesting was when a biographer was interviewing D. Eisenhower after his presidency he asked "What do you think were the 2 most historically important places in WW2.  Stalingrad? Normandy? Pearl Harbor?"  He responded. "Los Alamos and Auschwitz. Those others only changed the tide of war.  These changed Humanity".

Los Alamos is on the map, but it is in a small font that is only displayed at the highest levels of zoom. Here the zoom was not high enough. It is in the Santa Fee hex near Albuquerque.

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 519
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/17/2008 7:37:00 PM   
Norman42

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

Los Alamos is on the map, but it is in a small font that is only displayed at the highest levels of zoom. Here the zoom was not high enough. It is in the Santa Fee hex near Albuquerque.

Excellent.

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 520
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/17/2008 8:41:33 PM   
Essro

Santa Fee? or Santa Fe?

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 521
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/18/2008 2:47:55 AM   
YohanTM2

Looks like a spelling error on the map, should be Santa Fe

(in reply to Essro)
Post #: 522
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/18/2008 3:33:54 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yohan

Looks like a spelling error on the map, should be Santa Fe

Yes.

Steve

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 523
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/18/2008 8:52:15 AM   
Norman42

quote:

Los Alamos is on the map, but it is in a small font that is only displayed at the highest levels of zoom.

This brings up something now that I think about it.

What is the criteria for font size on place names?

I see Roswell, New Mexico visible at that above map zoom level, a place with zero significance to anyone but UFO theorists, and certainly not relevant to WW2, and yet Los Alamos, the test location of the ultimate weapon of WW2 is in an insignificant font.

I personally don't like the 'easter eggs' that arent WW2 focussed, but if they must be in game can they at least be given the small font, while real important WW2 historical locations are given something more visible?

< Message edited by Norman42 -- 5/18/2008 8:57:35 AM >

-------------

C.L.Norman

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 524
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/18/2008 9:44:04 AM   
Froonp

quote:

What is the criteria for font size on place names?

My criteria was :

Cities Size 10 Black (0)
Ports Size 10 Black (0)
Objective City Size 10 Red (9)
WiF Major Power Size 30 (caps) Dark Red (1)
WiF Minor Country Size 20 (caps) Dark Red (1)
WiF Territories Size 13 (caps) Dark Red (1)
All others Entities Size 10 (caps) Dark Red (1)
Provinces (non WiF entity) Size 10 (caps) Dark Red (1)
Rivers Size 9 Light Blue (12)
Canals Size 10 Blue (4)
Lakes 1 (small – 1-2 hexsides) Size 8 Blue (4)
Lakes 2 (big – 3+ hexsides) Size 10 Blue (4)
Roads & Railways (Burma Road) Size 10 Black (0)
Roads & Railways (Other Roads) Size 9 Black (0)
Islands Size 8 Black (0)
Named Places (cities too small to be a WiF city) Size 8 Black (0)
Land Features 1 (Small) Size 8 White (5)
Land Features 2 (Normal) Size 9 White (5)
Land Features 3 (Large) Size 10 White (5)
Sea Features Size 8 Blue (4)
Famous WW2 Places & Battles Size 6 Black (0)
Type of resource Size 6 Black (0)

All of what is size 6 or less is invisible at zooms 6 or less IIRC.

Generaly I tried to add some "Named Places" in places where there were nothing all around, this is why I put Roswell IIRC (it interested me to know it was here, because I did not know this normaly), and why I also added all the USA state's capitals for example even when they were tiny and unknown. I also added some "Named Places" for some too small but famous places like Orel in the USSR or Las Vegas inthe USA for example. These were generaly added so that people get their bearings on the map where there is nothing named all around.

For the Famous WW2 places & Battles, I added a very small number, and Los Alamos lies amongst them. I could make it "Named Place" instead. I found it was interesting to know where in Egypt the battle of El Alamein was fought, for the same reason, to give bearings to people.

Edit : I also put a few easter eggs (size 6), the place where Harry Rowland lives, the place where I live, famous shooting places for the Lord of the Ring (I know you don't like that, but I love that), if you see others that could be added let me know.

Edit : If you see places where you think a name could be added, for either reason similar to above, please let me know.

< Message edited by Froonp -- 5/18/2008 9:49:24 AM >

(in reply to Norman42)
Post #: 525
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/18/2008 3:24:01 PM   
Sabre21

Well as long as we're making comments for what its worth..I aint losing any sleep over it.

On the US Northwest map it appears Spokane is one hex too far north. It should be the same distance from Canada as is Seattle. The major road connecting it and Seattle actually dips down from Seattle then back up to Spokane.  I would place Spokane near the top of the hex just below where it currently is and run the road that goes east from it straight east into Montana. The one that goes west to Seattle, I would angle it south west one hex from Spokane then across towards Seattle then angle back up one hex east of Seattle. That would be I-90.

I couldn't quite make out the town in black to the right of Spokane but had a good laugh when I zoomed in on it. Wallace..what a tiny little place that is, just around 500 people if I recall..I guess that is supposed to represent the Silver mines in that region with Wallace as the centerpoint which would be right..just Wallace..yea..there are lots of silver mines in that area..but that isn't what Wallace was famous for 50 years ago..lol. I would probably move Wallace just to the bottom of the hex it currently is in..since it too is the same distance from Canada as Spokane and Seattle should be (100 miles give or take).

But then if you adjust Spokane and Wallace..then you have to adjust the roads and the Spokane River..and of course the open hex to the right of where Spokane is right now and the one southwest of that one are shown as open terrain and are really fairly mountainous..not as much as the area around Wallace but pretty close..so if the green terrain is rough terrain..then thats probably what they should be and not open. (My little fortress is on one of them missing mountains between Spokane and Wallace).

On another note, the largest mine in that region was Bunker Hill in Kellog about 10-15 miles west of Wallace that was silver, lead, and zinc. The biggest silver mine was Sunshine near Wallace (one of many mines)..and if I recall right, the second largest producer of Silver in the country at the time. Most the mines up there are closed now..although Sunshine recently re-opened.

Sabre

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 526
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/18/2008 8:21:02 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabre21
On the US Northwest map it appears Spokane is one hex too far north. It should be the same distance from Canada as is Seattle. The major road connecting it and Seattle actually dips down from Seattle then back up to Spokane.  I would place Spokane near the top of the hex just below where it currently is and run the road that goes east from it straight east into Montana. The one that goes west to Seattle, I would angle it south west one hex from Spokane then across towards Seattle then angle back up one hex east of Seattle. That would be I-90.

Seattle & Spokane are about the same distance, with Seattle a bit more south.
When I look at Seattle and where it is placed within its hex, I see that it should be in the north of its hex when I look at its position relative to the bay.
So, I will move Seattle within its hex to the north, and let Spokane where it is, because I think it is OK as this way. Spokane must be near the Spokane River, and rivers in WiF are along hexsides. So I'd have to move the river, and this is too hard to do, and risks introducing more cascading changes.

quote:

I couldn't quite make out the town in black to the right of Spokane but had a good laugh when I zoomed in on it. Wallace..what a tiny little place that is, just around 500 people if I recall..I guess that is supposed to represent the Silver mines in that region with Wallace as the centerpoint which would be right..just Wallace..yea..there are lots of silver mines in that area..but that isn't what Wallace was famous for 50 years ago..lol. I would probably move Wallace just to the bottom of the hex it currently is in..since it too is the same distance from Canada as Spokane and Seattle should be (100 miles give or take).

When we were talking about what the resources were representing, this one was listed as Lead. Not Silver. I see that there are both Silver & Lead in the area.

quote:

But then if you adjust Spokane and Wallace..then you have to adjust the roads and the Spokane River..and of course the open hex to the right of where Spokane is right now and the one southwest of that one are shown as open terrain and are really fairly mountainous..not as much as the area around Wallace but pretty close..so if the green terrain is rough terrain..then thats probably what they should be and not open. (My little fortress is on one of them missing mountains between Spokane and Wallace).

So the hex east of Spokane should be forest (green) ? (Yes, forest means rough, less rough than mountain, but more rough than clear terrain.

quote:

On another note, the largest mine in that region was Bunker Hill in Kellog about 10-15 miles west of Wallace that was silver, lead, and zinc. The biggest silver mine was Sunshine near Wallace (one of many mines)..and if I recall right, the second largest producer of Silver in the country at the time. Most the mines up there are closed now..although Sunshine recently re-opened.

On my 1940 map of the area, there is Wallace, but there is neither Kellogg, nor Bunker Hill nor Sunshine.

Moreover, I was asked during the review of the map to move the Spokane RP (that was in the hex east of Spokane) one hex to the east where it is now. So originaly it may have been in the position you say Kellog & Bunker Hill are. But I don't live there, so if I'm told once that the RP should be around Wallace, and then that the RP should be 1 hex east from Spokane and represent Kellogg, what should I do ?

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 527
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/18/2008 8:34:12 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I couldn't quite make out the town in black to the right of Spokane but had a good laugh when I zoomed in on it. Wallace..what a tiny little place that is, just around 500 people if I recall..I guess that is supposed to represent the Silver mines in that region with Wallace as the centerpoint which would be right..just Wallace..yea..there are lots of silver mines in that area..but that isn't what Wallace was famous for 50 years ago..lol.

Well, if I look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace%2C_Idaho I see that Wallace is not that tiny little place you describe.
It even says "Wallace is the principal town of the Coeur d'Alene silver-mining district, which produced more silver than any other mining district in the United States."
And
"In 1890, Shoshone County was the most populated county in the new state of Idaho, and Wallace was its largest city and the third largest in the state, with 2000 residents."

The Wikipedia entry about Kellogg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellogg%2C_Idaho) does not makes it look more important than Wallace. It even looks like Wallace was more important in the past and has declined to its present state. Given that my 1940 map of the USA has Wallace and not Kellogg, I'd sayt that Wallace's decline made her still larger than Kellogg during the 40s.

So ? anyone witha Granpa from northern Idaho to tell us if the RP here is rather lead than silver, and if it is rather around Wallace or Kellog ?

< Message edited by Froonp -- 5/18/2008 8:40:36 PM >

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 528
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/18/2008 9:23:10 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Well as long as we're making comments for what its worth..I aint losing any sleep over it.

Sabre

There are only 2 or 3 roads on the entire world map. What you are seeing are rail lines.

The rail line connections are automated - data driven. I wrote code that connects city and port icons automatically, making the transition through 'empty' hexes smooth and allowing for both branching within a hex and avoiding ocean and lake coastlines (so the rail lines do not run under water). There is no attempt to make the rail lines conform to historical locations; they are simply drawn to look smooth.

Steve

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 529
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/19/2008 12:45:10 AM   
Sabre21

I think the distance between Spokane and Seattle are ok..and I can understand about having to move cities because of rivers.

The two main industry's in N. Idaho up until about 15-20 years ago was lumber and mining. Bunker Hill was the largest mine with over 200 miles of underground railroad. The primary resource there was lead and zinc with silver coming in 3rd. My dad retired from there long ago and took us on a tour of the underground area..30+ levels each separated by 300 feet of rock.

Sunshine, Galena, Lucky Friday..(doing this all from memory) and a few others were primarily silver. Sunshine back in the 70's had a cave in with around 90 miners killed. My neighbor was supposed to be at work that day and happened to call in sick. Anyhoos..what it says about Wallace is correct for then..now its around 500..maybe.  Silver was and still is the primary resource in the Sunshine mine area..near Wallace..same with galena that I think is still open. But that still isn't what Wallace was famous..or infamous for..and you won't find it on Google..lol

Back around the late 1800's there was a huge gold rush near Mullan, Idaho (a few miles east of Wallace) and that town grew to 20,000..now it's about 100. I wouldn't take much on what any census might say..no telling where or when they got the data. Lots of old abandoned mines up in them hills..and from is told..the mother lode of gold has yet to be found 

< Message edited by Sabre21 -- 5/19/2008 12:47:35 AM >

Post #: 530
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/19/2008 1:14:20 AM   
Joshuatree

Don't know if this been mentioned before..."Cape Medocino"?   Cape Mendocino.

@ Norman42: Spent some time looking over the maps last night (the wife tells me I used to only look at her that way) Man, that's so.... hilarious  

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 531
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/19/2008 2:03:09 AM   
Jagdtiger14

In the southern area...Florida... Tallahassee is in a bad spot...should be in the clear hex just to the north. Not that it really matters.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

Post #: 532
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/19/2008 5:53:40 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joshuatree

@ Norman42: Spent some time looking over the maps last night (the wife tells me I used to only look at her that way) Man, that's so.... hilarious  

Yes, my wife practically fell out of her chair when I told her that comment.

Steve

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 533
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/19/2008 6:50:25 AM   
brian brian

maybe a nice Easter Egg could be where the Bismarck rests in the Atlantic...

Post #: 534
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/19/2008 12:25:15 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

Yes, why not.
Why not add also the position of all capital ships that were sank.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 535
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/19/2008 1:58:48 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

Yes, why not.
Why not add also the position of all capital ships that were sank.

No. There were hundreds, perhaps close to a thousand.

A half dozen or so would be ok, but this should not be a new major project.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 536
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/19/2008 3:50:17 PM   
Sabre21

I would keep it to the more famous ships..like Bismarck, Hood, Prince of Wales, Yamato, Musashi, Murat, and add in a couple locations where ships were sunk en masse like Midway, Pearl, Taranto harbor, Ironbottom sound, PQ17..I wouldn't get too crazy..I do want to play this some time

< Message edited by Sabre21 -- 5/19/2008 3:52:12 PM >

Post #: 537
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/19/2008 6:19:09 PM   
Froonp

quote:

I would keep it to the more famous ships..like Bismarck, Hood, Prince of Wales, Yamato, Musashi, Murat, and add in a couple locations where ships were sunk en masse like Midway, Pearl, Taranto harbor, Ironbottom sound, PQ17..I wouldn't get too crazy..I do want to play this some time

Murat ?
And no Yorktown, Lexington, Wasp or other CV ?

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 538
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/19/2008 6:21:34 PM   
Joshuatree

"A half dozen or so would be ok, but this should not be a new major project"

You could keep it simple, just the very few really famous ones. Saves you a lot of time. Then, maybe later, with an add on, you could add more historical places, battles and what not.... maybe with a mouse over? It's absolutely not a necessity, but it would be a nice addition... I think.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 539
RE: MWiF Map Review - America - 5/19/2008 6:29:03 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: allsop
Santa Fee? or Santa Fe?

I corrected it, thanks.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joshuatree

And corrected this one too.

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWiF Map Review - America Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI