Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mark IIIL medium tank

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mark IIIL medium tank Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mark IIIL medium tank - 3/26/2002 7:45:09 PM   
Rundstedt

Can someone brief me about this tank model? Was it really armed with a 5 cm/L 60 high velocity gun? When was it being produced and for how long?

It's in the game (v. 7.0), but I can't seem to find it in the Encyclopedia.

And also, will there ever be a complete Encyclopedia with descriptions of all units present in the game? Or is that too much to ask for?

Regards, von Rundstedt (OB WEST)

"We never underestimated the Red Army, contrary to the general conception. The last German military attaché in Moscow, General Köstring - a very competent man - had kept us well-informed about the condition of the Red Army. But Hitler refused to believe h
Post #: 1
- 3/26/2002 8:02:18 PM   
herr1

Dear Rundstedt,

I managed to get this information off the Web. It confirms that the PzIIIL was armed with the L/60. Please bear in mind that theb L/60 was retro fitted to some earlier models of PzIII was well.

Information from:-

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~nightingale/panzer3l.htm

In March 1942 a study was undertaken to determine whether the Pz Kpfw IV turret would fit on the Pz Kpfw III superstructure.Analysis revealed that the resultant weight was excessive and numerous modifications would be necessary.The idea was dropped and production of the Pz Kpfw III with the 50mm KwK39 L/60 continued.The original order for 1,100 Ausf L was reduced by an order early in June 1942 to mount 450 75mm KwK L/24 in the Pz Kpfw III.447 Ausf L were used to mount the short 75mm gun and thus became Ausf N.One Ausf L was compleated with an experimental tapered-bore KwK0725.
Improvements to the Ausf L inclued increasing the armour on the turret front from 30mm to 57mm , installing a torsion-bar counter-balance instead of a coil spring for the main gun and altering the air-intake louvres and hatches on the rear deck.All Ausf L had 20mm spaced armour on the superstructure front and most had 20mm spaced armour on the gun mantlet.Early in the production run the hull escape hatches on the hull side , the loaders vision port on the gun mantlet and the turret side ports were deleted.A system designed to transfer heated enging coolant from one vehicle to another was also introduced with the Ausf L.
Later in June 1942 at the start of the summer offensive there were approximately 600 Pz Kpfw III mounting the 50mm KwK L/60 with units at the front in Russia.Apart from replacing lossesAusf L were issued to the newly-formed Panzer regiments of the 1st (Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler) , 2nd (Das-Reich) and 3rd (Tötenkopf) SS Panzergrenadier Divisions and the Panzergrenadier Division Grossdeutschland.

I would also have some info in my books at home, however, I am at work at the moment.

As far as the encyclopedia goes I have no answers for you there. I hope this has been of some help.

:D

Dr Rob H

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 2
Outstanding! - 3/26/2002 8:08:52 PM   
Rundstedt

Now that's what I call exhaustive research! :)

Regards, Rundstedt (OB WEST)

"We never underestimated the Red Army, contrary to the general conception. The last German military attaché in Moscow, General Köstring - a very competent man - had kept us well-informed about the condition of the Red Army. But Hitler refused to believe h

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 3
- 3/26/2002 8:43:49 PM   
tomaszp

I might only add that some of those 653 tanks were tropical version of PzIIIL and were meant to sent to DAK troops in Africa, but I have no information if any of them reached their destination. Tropical version had the same armor and armament that the rest of PzIIIL's.

Regards,
Tomek

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 4
Re: Mark IIIL medium tank - 3/26/2002 9:42:17 PM   
tracer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rundstedt
[B]

And also, will there ever be a complete Encyclopedia with descriptions of all units present in the game? Or is that too much to ask for?

Regards, von Rundstedt (OB WEST) [/B][/QUOTE]

R,
All the units [I]are[/I] in the encyclopedia (as far as I can tell); some like the PzIIIL are not listed where you would expect them to be. The PzIIIL is not located with the other tanks (at the beginning); its listed after the infantry and aircraft formations, on the 8th page.

Jim NSB

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 5
Re: Re: Mark IIIL medium tank - 3/26/2002 10:04:24 PM   
Rundstedt

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tracer
[B]

R,
All the units [I]are[/I] in the encyclopedia (as far as I can tell); some like the PzIIIL are not listed where you would expect them to be. The PzIIIL is not located with the other tanks (at the beginning); its listed after the infantry and aircraft formations, on the 8th page. [/B][/QUOTE]

Howcome?

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 6
- 3/26/2002 10:24:29 PM   
tracer

One of the designers could probably answer better than me, but I assume as units were added to the OOBs the groupings became scattered. Changing the listing order would probably involve changing unit numbers, which would cause other (bigger!) problems.

Jim NSB

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 7
- 3/26/2002 11:45:18 PM   
Belisarius

Hmm.. but I like Rundstedt's idea of [I]descriptions[/I] of all encyclopedia units. As it is now, there's info about most tanks and a few AFV's, but it'd be fun to have some additional text on guns, AT pieces, trucks, infantry etc... OK, this would be a huge task to complete - but hey! there's a lot of us that could contribute with a line or two :D

Got StuG?

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 8
I'm in! - 3/27/2002 12:32:03 AM   
Rundstedt

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belisarius
[B]Hmm.. but I like Rundstedt's idea of [I]descriptions[/I] of all encyclopedia units. As it is now, there's info about most tanks and a few AFV's, but it'd be fun to have some additional text on guns, AT pieces, trucks, infantry etc... OK, this would be a huge task to complete - but hey! there's a lot of us that could contribute with a line or two :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Where do we sign up then?

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 9
- 3/27/2002 12:56:37 AM   
tracer

Oops, sorry: I missed the word 'description' in your first post.

Jim NSB

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 10
- 3/27/2002 1:19:08 AM   
Taglia

I suggest you to check out also this [URL=http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz8.htm]PAGE[/URL]

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 11
- 3/27/2002 2:10:02 AM   
Warhorse

I had wanted to do the text for the Axis Minors, but the ordering is very strange, I can't tell what letters to put before the lbm number, or whatever, to get the text to show up?! I suspect this is why it's not worked on, the numbering is very queer!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Rundstedt)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mark IIIL medium tank Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI