Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Combat Mission on the shelf

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Combat Mission on the shelf Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combat Mission on the shelf - 3/13/2002 5:30:11 PM   
EricR4B

Just to let all the UK bods out there. I saw a boxed version of Combat Mission on the shelf at Game yesterday going for £30 (IIRC - might have been less, it was yesterday). A marketing change for Battlefront (Europe)?

Will this have any impact on marketing strategies at Matrix?

Also. Is it worth buying?

Cheers
Post #: 1
- 3/13/2002 9:20:14 PM   
EricR4B

Just went out at lunch time and bought it. So I hope it is as good as people have said.

Still looking forward to the Matrix games.

(in reply to EricR4B)
Post #: 2
- 3/13/2002 9:30:01 PM   
Marc von Martial

It´s a good game, but it looks kind of ugly and oversaturated without the most excellent texture mods by the CMBO community. Be prepared to download for days :D.

(in reply to EricR4B)
Post #: 3
- 3/13/2002 9:45:42 PM   
Paul Vebber

Actually I think the UK Box version comes with a CD of MODs.

Anything that helps bring in wargame coverts form other genres helps everybody in this business! CM has certainly been a success at that!

(in reply to EricR4B)
Post #: 4
- 3/13/2002 10:37:29 PM   
EricR4B

Paul

You are correct. The extra CD promises some 55 new scenarios and 150 mods.

Hopefully I will load up tonight and see what all the fuss is about.

(in reply to EricR4B)
Post #: 5
- 3/13/2002 10:44:48 PM   
EricR4B

Oh, and another thing; I am hardly a convert to wargames. My first PC game was Close Combat 4 - now I have all but CC1.

CM will be my third 3d viewable game (Thief2 and Shogun are my others).

Still hoping to see new releases from you lot in the next few months. I prefer the style here to those employed at Battlefront.

Ciao for now

(in reply to EricR4B)
Post #: 6
HA! UGLY!! - 3/17/2002 11:35:08 PM   
laatokka

yeah..ugly:) My CM looks very ugly indeed. [IMG]http://forum.wbfree.net/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=55081[/IMG]

Attachment (1)

---------------------
laatokka aka illo

(in reply to EricR4B)
Post #: 7
CM - 3/25/2002 10:12:51 PM   
cmissionplyr

Although CM is more concerned with game play than graphics they arent that bad especially using mods. And Cmmb , the next incarnation will be improved. Then there will be a whole engine rewrite. As far as tactical level games it is the best imho. And it gives gamers more choices. Plus you can play tci-ip, pbem, hot seat or solo and it has an editor. And has a great support and forum. I am waiting for an operational game that rocks and am hoping Battleline is it.

(in reply to EricR4B)
Post #: 8
- 3/25/2002 11:22:46 PM   
Marc von Martial

@ laatokka

Haha, my CM looks also nice now, but that´s only with the mods. Out of the box it´s as ugly as an unpainted scale model ;).

I don´t at all question the potential and fun CM has. What I´m still critizising though is the infantry model presented in CM.

(in reply to EricR4B)
Post #: 9
cm - 3/25/2002 11:37:25 PM   
cmissionplyr

Yes, perfection hasnt been attained. It is an elusive goal. Progress usually comes in steps. Impossible to please everyone anyway cause many things are subjective.

(in reply to EricR4B)
Post #: 10
- 3/26/2002 12:18:21 AM   
Marc von Martial

They screenshots of the upcoming sequel of CM look very promising, also something for the eyes there ;).
Seems like Battlefront hired a few of the excellent texture modders for the new game.

Any rumours when it´s getting gold? I don´t visit the "Church of CM" boards anymore, for some reasons, so I lack a bit of information on the sequel.

(in reply to EricR4B)
Post #: 11
cm - 3/26/2002 8:15:12 AM   
cmissionplyr

They havent said for sure. When it is ready it will be released. A guess is late April or early May.

(in reply to EricR4B)
Post #: 12
- 3/27/2002 12:31:25 AM   
laatokka

2 weeks:) Well..not really. I heard them planning release in july. CM:BB isn't complete engine rewrite. It's just same old CM:BO at eastern front with some new clitches. (bigger scale and some new commands) CM 2 will be complete engine rewrite, but work on it hasn't even begun yet. CM:BO is one of the best games(sims) I ever had. Infantry has to be graphically simplified.(imagine moving 2 battalions of 3d men.) At least because we don't have effective enough computers yet. That doesnt really bother me. General fight to the last man attitude bothers me more. It's rare to play against people who cease fire/ surrender after 25-50% casualties. And against AI all battles will be slaughter. Real campaign game would take care of that i think.

---------------------
laatokka aka illo

(in reply to EricR4B)
Post #: 13
cm - 3/27/2002 8:22:49 AM   
cmissionplyr

After I read my post about the engine rewrite I realized it was ambiguious. I didnt mean to imply that Cmmb was a rewrite, just an upgrade. CM2 will be quite awhile in the making I assume. You are right about fighting to the last man syndrome. You can usually find someone who thinks similarly and you can set your own parameters. The game has quite abit of flexibility. It is only a game though and will always have shortcomings. But real war is hell and virtual war is fun.

(in reply to EricR4B)
Post #: 14
Re: HA! UGLY!! - 3/30/2002 4:43:37 AM   
Vincent Prochelo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by laatokka
[B]yeah..ugly:) My CM looks very ugly indeed. [IMG]http://forum.wbfree.net/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=55081[/IMG] [/B][/QUOTE]

sweet

http://www.geocities.com/dasreich2ss/pod.html

"It is as it is."

-Edward III

(in reply to EricR4B)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Combat Mission on the shelf Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI