Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Third Reich

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Third Reich Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Third Reich - 5/21/2008 1:28:49 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

I'm terribly short of time at the moment. But inspired by my ww2 scenario, I purchased a copy of the boardgame on ebay. Years since I've had one of these. Anyone in Wales fancy a game?

Anyway, I've plenty of work to do on the original scenario. But how cool would it be to work out a scenario to the ThR rules? I know combat won't be the same. But supply, movement, naval combat, collapse of countries without capitals etc could all be the same. Anyone able to draw a tileset?
Post #: 1
RE: Third Reich - 5/21/2008 3:58:28 PM   
Magpius

D.,
I assume you have already checked these out. May come in handy.
http://www.wargamer.com/articles/sc2ai1/
http://www.wargamer.com/articles/sc2ai2/
regards
A.

(in reply to Delyn Locksmiths)
Post #: 2
RE: Third Reich - 5/21/2008 10:26:34 PM   
Azghaf

Delyn,

Where abouts in Wales do you live? I live in Gloucestershire so there might be an opportunity to meet up. I still have my original and well worn set of Third Reich in the attic.

Cheers

Dave

Post #: 3
RE: Third Reich - 5/21/2008 10:45:36 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

Dave, I'm in the south, but far west. I often work in Bristol and Wiltshire though. You could come over here and kip over one night if you fancy. We could also paly by mail if you like, not sure how it would work. But I got some maps etc for PBM with my purchase. Also, with the web that should be easy. you can email me dewi@delynlocks.com. I'm just refamiliarising myself with the rules. When i played myself as a kid i never used any strategic warfare elements, and i've forgotten many of the elements i did use. Just re read the offensives rule now, forgotten all about that.

(in reply to Azghaf)
Post #: 4
RE: Third Reich - 5/22/2008 3:25:43 AM   
GJK

You can play it live over the net or via Pbem using VASSAL. It even looks cool.

Post #: 5
RE: Third Reich - 5/22/2008 3:39:37 AM   
pzgndr

quote:

But how cool would it be to work out a scenario to the ThR rules? I know combat won't be the same. But supply, movement, naval combat, collapse of countries without capitals etc could all be the same. Anyone able to draw a tileset?

I'm curious to see what you come up with! Advanced Tactics has a different flavor than Strategic Command 2, but by all means check out what I did with my Advanced Third Reich mod and use whatever helps. In many ways I made compromises and adjustments to get that square peg banged into a round hole and made to look OK.

I helped Vic some with his early versions of People's Tactics, but really didn't have the time to commit to another project like that. It's great to see it has come along nicely.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 6
RE: Third Reich - 5/22/2008 7:56:59 AM   
alaric318

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK

You can play it live over the net or via Pbem using VASSAL. It even looks cool.

well, as vassal have been named i will recomend to register (i think is free still) to warplanner and download adv. third reich module, it is from the original by bruce harper, interested follow link, register and download warplanner, sure that cyberboard or vassal or other over grognard.com have much more modules but specifically for third reich, in my opinion it is the better, an old friend give me the link, simply i do not have time to it, even can configure the counters with named ships or change the factors of the units, may be cumbersome at first but for play by e-mail is good application, hope you enjoy it...

http://www.warplanner.com/

best regards,

murat30.

There is no plan of battle that survives the contact with the enemy.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 7
RE: Third Reich - 5/22/2008 10:09:51 AM   
Delyn Locksmiths

not sure i know enough about computers for that. How does VASSAl work? What do i need to download? The programme plus the Third Reich scenario? Does it do the dice rolling and everything as well?

(in reply to alaric318)
Post #: 8
RE: Third Reich - 5/22/2008 10:16:23 AM   
GJK

See my Getting Started wiki entry for the basics of using VASSAL. As it states, make sure that you have Java installed and updated and then install the VASSAL application by clicking on the download link (details in my wiki entry).

After you have VASSAL installed, you'll download the 3R module and then select it after you've launched VASSAL (again, covered in my wiki entry). VASSAL has a dice roller and everything that you need to play (you just need the rules that you already have as it doesn't 'enforce' the rules). See the wiki entry for Pbem instructions. Basically, you will set to record your log file and then VASSAL will record every move that you make and all the dice rolls that you make; everything is displayed to the chat window that your opponent then cycles through once he's received your turn and loads it.

This is a bit off-topic from AT, so if you (and others) prefer, feel free to email me and I'd be more than happy to go into more detail for you.

Post #: 9
RE: Third Reich - 5/26/2008 10:44:10 PM   
Tagwyn

Dear Delyn: I am not now nor ever will be a hero. I once was playing right-field (too slow to play most places) and a line drive waw hit in my direction, off to my right hand. I rushed over there and saw I would be able to catch the ball ... I pretended to dive for it which I did not have to do, missed it and gave the batter a triple!! I am still ashamed of that evening. 3R was my favorite game!! Good luck. I am hoping you will succede on some fundamental level. L3 :papy:

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Third Reich Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI