Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Making naval interception "secure"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Making naval interception "secure" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Making naval interception "secure" - 5/22/2008 12:53:15 AM   
JanSorensen

As a spin off from the thread on how to make land combat secure I would like to adress naval interception.

The current issue is that the phasing player may try moving his fleets and can reload if he doesnt like the interception dice rolls. Pre-generated dice rolls so reloading does not allow the phasing player to simply keep trying till he gets a lucky roll helps some - but not enough. The phasing player can try with impunity if the enemy would intercept - if the die rolls means an interception he just reloads and does not make the move - if the die rolls fails to intercept he keeps moving. Completely risk free where the move should be risky.

Now, if the problem is to be handled only by the game (clients) without the use of a server I just dont see any way to handle interception die rolls without email communication.

Step 1: The phasing player moves into an area where interception is possible but not certain.
A "battle file / interception file" is made and sent to the owner of the fleet(s) that are able to intercept.

Step 2: The owner of said fleet decides if he wants to try to intercept.
The interception die roll is made but not shown yet.
If the interception is a succes the wind gauge rolls as well as the naval combat rolls are made but not shown.
A "battle file / interception file" is made and sent back to the phasing player

Step 3: The phasing player is shown the result of the interception roll.

If an interception did not occur he keeps moving.
Otherwise he is also shown the wind gauge and combat rolls and is asked to decide how to take loses. A battle file is then sent to the defender.

Step 4: The intercepting player is shown the wind gauge and combat die rolls and is asked to decide how to take his loses.

Now, this might sound like a lot of slow down to the game - but honestly - just how often do fleets try to sneak past other fleets where interception is uncertain? Most of the time enemy fleets will be blocaded or have their standing order set to not intercept. So, I submit that even though it will slow the game down some its a very small slow down in the overall picture and actually a slowdown for whats likely a very important decision.
Post #: 1
RE: Making naval interception "secure" - 5/22/2008 11:14:32 AM   
eske

quote:

ORIGINAL: JanSorensen

As a spin off from the thread on how to make land combat secure I would like to adress naval interception.

The current issue is that the phasing player may try moving his fleets and can reload if he doesnt like the interception dice rolls. Pre-generated dice rolls so reloading does not allow the phasing player to simply keep trying till he gets a lucky roll helps some - but not enough. The phasing player can try with impunity if the enemy would intercept - if the die rolls means an interception he just reloads and does not make the move - if the die rolls fails to intercept he keeps moving. Completely risk free where the move should be risky.

I agree with this. This is a major problem.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JanSorensen
Now, if the problem is to be handled only by the game (clients) without the use of a server I just dont see any way to handle interception die rolls without email communication.

Step 1: The phasing player moves into an area where interception is possible but not certain.
A "battle file / interception file" is made and sent to the owner of the fleet(s) that are able to intercept.

Step 2: The owner of said fleet decides if he wants to try to intercept.
The interception die roll is made but not shown yet.
If the interception is a succes the wind gauge rolls as well as the naval combat rolls are made but not shown.
A "battle file / interception file" is made and sent back to the phasing player

Step 3: The phasing player is shown the result of the interception roll.

If an interception did not occur he keeps moving.
Otherwise he is also shown the wind gauge and combat rolls and is asked to decide how to take loses. A battle file is then sent to the defender.

Step 4: The intercepting player is shown the wind gauge and combat die rolls and is asked to decide how to take his loses.

Now, this might sound like a lot of slow down to the game - but honestly - just how often do fleets try to sneak past other fleets where interception is uncertain? Most of the time enemy fleets will be blocaded or have their standing order set to not intercept. So, I submit that even though it will slow the game down some its a very small slow down in the overall picture and actually a slowdown for whats likely a very important decision.

You obviously haven't seen me making naval war
Honestly one naval phase can contain maybe ten or more interception attemps !
But agreed - that sort of action probably only takes place a couple of times during a full campaign, and the importance of the outcome can be immense - not only to GB. So I believe it justifies the exstra time spent.

/eske

Alea iacta est

(in reply to JanSorensen)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Making naval interception "secure" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI