Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Playing HCE on a CD or DVD

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Tech Support >> Playing HCE on a CD or DVD Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Playing HCE on a CD or DVD - 5/11/2008 2:31:26 AM   
houseband

Hi,

I've been playing Harpoon (all versions) for years now.
Meanwhile I love HCE.

I have to go to a business-trip in some weeks for about 2 weeks. And now I think about taking HCE with me. But the problem is that I must not install the game on my company notebook. Due to our IT regulations it is impossible.

So I wondered if there was an opportunity to copy the gamefiles to a CD and copy some *.dll's or anything needed to my company notebook.

What would I have to do to play HCE from CD?

Cheers

Thomas
Post #: 1
RE: Playing HCE on a CD or DVD - 5/11/2008 4:30:15 AM   
TonyE

Hi Thomas

Sounds like a fun little project, in earlier versions of HC it wasn't a problem but now we write log files and things that could mess up the works.  In order for the Matrix copy protection to work you do need to be able to make a one-time series of entries in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (which normally requires administrative priviledges).  If you can make that happen I think the rest can be coaxed into working. 

I'll definitely try this out in the next few days, if you can verify that you can get the registry changes entered, let us know, if you can't there probably isn't any hope so let us know that as well please.  Of course if someone beats me to the experimenting, please share your findings :).

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to houseband)
Post #: 2
RE: Playing HCE on a CD or DVD - 5/11/2008 10:26:47 AM   
houseband

Hi Tony

thanks for your reply. I think we should try it. So I am waiting for your orders.

By the way - you mentioned in the older versions you think it should have been possible? I still have Harpoon Classic 97 - maybe I could (if this try failes) try it with this verison? The problem was with this version that it doesn't work properly under XP any more.

Cheers

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 3
RE: Playing HCE on a CD or DVD - 5/11/2008 10:43:36 AM   
TonyE

Okay, will try here

Yes, HC97 should work fine from a CD, it will work on XP, I'll help you with that if HCE from a CD doesn't work.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to houseband)
Post #: 4
RE: Playing HCE on a CD or DVD - 5/11/2008 12:25:41 PM   
houseband

Hi Tony

once more many thanks!!

Cheers

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 5
RE: Playing HCE on a CD or DVD - 5/24/2008 7:33:29 PM   
TonyE

Allrighty, after unexpected delays it appears that running from a CD under a limited user account works fine given the aforementioned caveat, that you have to be able to do a one-time registry entry creation.

What I did:
1. From my non-limited machine I created a CD with a directory structure matching my HCE install.
   a. i.e. I have a Matrix Games\HCE folder structure on the CD, it isn't neccessary but it is what I did.
2. Copied my HCE directory into said CD structure (this must include the hidden file maga.mg).  I used Roxio Easy Media Creator.
2. Burned my CD
3. From the non-limited machine, use regedit to export the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Matrix Games\Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition" registry key.
4. On the work machine (limited machine) import the registry file created in step 3, this will probably have to be done from a user account with administrative priveleges on the machine.
5. Stick the CD in and give the game a whirl. 
6. Do a File\Save As to change the save game location to some area on the hard drive/USB drive you can write.  If you don't have a spot to save scenarios, don't use the autosave capability (Settings\Game Options\Save Every set to 0).

Depending upon how restrictive the permissions are on the machine you may have to re-establish window positions and that saved game path each time you start the game.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to houseband)
Post #: 6
RE: Playing HCE on a CD or DVD - 5/24/2008 7:34:11 PM   
TonyE

Not that it should matter, my non-limited machine was running Vista, the locked down machine was running Windows XP Pro.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 7
RE: Playing HCE on a CD or DVD - 5/25/2008 1:45:00 PM   
houseband

Hi Tony,

thanks - I will test this evening when I am back home. Think the most important problem is the regedit.....but I have my limited machine at home so I can test.

I will report.

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 8
RE: Playing HCE on a CD or DVD - 5/25/2008 7:15:48 PM   
TonyE

Sounds good, and if all else fails, do the same with HC97 except you don't need the regedit part for HC97

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to houseband)
Post #: 9
RE: Playing HCE on a CD or DVD - 5/25/2008 7:39:47 PM   
houseband

Hi Tony!

I did like you described. Problem: I first was very surprised and happy to see that I was allowed to start "regedit" on my limited machine. But I was unfortunately not allowed to do any changes in the structure of the reg. So I was not able to import the file

Afterwards I did the same with HC97.....and it worked So my plan is to ask one of our IT-Guys to import the reg (one of the guys not in the head office but in the branch I will visit for my business trip) and then I can play HCE as well because I burned it on the same CD as HC97

Many many thanks to you Tony!!

I will have the opportunity to try maybe this week because I am leaving for another trip to on of our branches and I will take the CD with me.

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 10
RE: Playing HCE on a CD or DVD - 5/25/2008 7:45:19 PM   
TonyE

Great, thank you for sharing your results, let's hope the IT guy has some mercy, he should be able to see how harmless the entries are.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to houseband)
Post #: 11
RE: Playing HCE on a CD or DVD - 5/28/2008 8:39:40 PM   
houseband

Hi Tony!

I am glad that I can proudly say: It works with HCE!!

I talked to a guy who has the administrator password although he should not have it and asked him to login to my notebook and we imported the reg-file.

And HCE works from the CD! Great!

Cheers

Thomas

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Tech Support >> Playing HCE on a CD or DVD Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI