Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OK who did I upset???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> OK who did I upset??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OK who did I upset??? - 5/27/2008 2:38:38 PM   
1275psi

One of the great mysteries of these forums. You select an opponent who's name is like a rash all over the forums -has immensly popular AARs, and plays immensly fairly, and keeps the turns coming.

Then, nothing
nada
nitch
zip.

Did i upset someone?

Has any one seen the general?
I can't stand the thought of starting another AAR.
Post #: 1
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/27/2008 2:49:17 PM   
Grell

Ah well such is the nature of playing online.

Regards,

Greg

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 2
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/27/2008 3:07:38 PM   
undercovergeek

very poignant and informative grell

disregards

UCG

< Message edited by undercovergeek -- 5/27/2008 4:48:45 PM >

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 3
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/27/2008 3:13:23 PM   
herwin

My experience is that I am on travel sometimes for a week or so. I try to warn my correspondents how long to expect that to take.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 4
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/27/2008 3:38:35 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1275psi
Then, nothing
nada
nitch
zip.

You point up one of the truely inexcusable lapses of manners in PBEM. Anyone and everyone can have life intrude it's ugly head into their gaming---but you OWE your opponants some type of "heads up" as to what's going on. Even if your computer crashes, you should be able to "borrow a friends" long enough to at least make a general forum announcement that you are "out of business" for a while. It's just common (or lately, uncommon) courtesy.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 5
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/27/2008 4:40:18 PM   
Andrew Brown

Maybe he's actually the Swedish Prime Minister?

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 6
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/27/2008 5:30:33 PM   
cantona2

Hes been out of action for about month due to a lightning strike on his home. Im still awaiting replies to some emails i sent. I guess he'll be back and hes probably taking a break from Witp

Post of the email he sent about 3 weeks ago, i think psi was on the receive list as well

quote:

Dear opponents,

as you probably have noticed i've been away for 3 days. On Thursday evening a lighting struck the roof of my house and fried my pc and my television (a brand new Samsung 2000 euros worth!!). I'll be forced to buy a new pc and start it back all over again, so it will take few days. Incidentally here in Italy the 1st of May is the national holyday of all workers, so i'll be using this to grab a whole week end of vacations and i'll go to Sardinia till Sunday (starting from wedsday).
I'm sorry for this delay and hope you'll understand.
I should be back, fully operative, on Monday or Tuesday of the next week.

Take care.

< Message edited by cantona2 -- 5/27/2008 5:34:32 PM >

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 7
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/28/2008 2:25:58 AM   
1275psi

The question is, now thats its nearly a month since the incident -how long is it polite to wait before abandoning?. Its not very good to say, well Ill start a new game with some one else, then find out he re appears again -and then I find i have too many games on my plate (although thats impossible -one can never have too much WITP).

I think a lot of you guys knew the General a lot better than me -should I give it what -2 more weeks -a month?

This is a genuine question!

On the matter of opponents - when it comes to AE -and we all"start again" -I know I will be very, very picky in who I play - its simple for me - prove you have at least 1 game(preferrably2) of WITP into 44 at least -or I wont even consider you.
I personally think thats a rule we should all very carefully consider -especially in the light of people who say -Ill by WITP only when AE comes out, even after floating around these forums for years.
Have they got the patience, the persistance, the love for the game to continue PBEM ing for the years required?
They certaintly cannot show that they will abandon you 6 months down the track -or whan things go pear shaped.
WITP, WITP/AE while PBEM ing is a very serious contract -, just look at the history of the AARs -just how many of us actually are going the distance?

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 8
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/28/2008 2:40:26 AM   
Gem35

Better yet, you could ask for the person's SS #, CC # and make him/her give you a deposit of an agreed sum of Cash to hold as collateral if they decide to bail out early.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 9
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/28/2008 2:43:46 AM   
niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

Maybe he's actually the Swedish Prime Minister?

Was he impeached?

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 10
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/28/2008 9:27:03 AM   
cantona2

So psi, i guess that means my offer of a game is rejected?

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 11
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/29/2008 12:14:41 AM   
crsutton

Worst is when you deal out a crushing defeat and sink some major ships and you don't get a turn back for two weeks.

However, I understand. It has happened to me before and sometimes you would rather smoke a turd  than watch the next combat replay. Got to cut some slack in a situation like that.

But when the turns start to come back very infrequently after that, it can get bothersome.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 12
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/29/2008 12:53:57 AM   
1275psi

HI Cantona----definately not- have tried to private message you and e mail you-both obcviously failed to connect!
Will try again when i get home tonight -Im at a defence base -and a lot of private mail does not get out!

Sorry -also note our time zone differences!
1275psi!

ps -already started plotting turn 1 -the mod is CHS 2.08 + nik mod, scene 157c
PDU OFF -advanced weather on!

Ill be in touch!

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 13
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/29/2008 12:59:12 AM   
Canoerebel

quote:

...or when things go pear shaped.

Never before heard this saying, but I love it. I once knew a girl who resembled that remark....

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 14
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/29/2008 7:12:44 AM   
FeurerKrieg

quote:

On the matter of opponents - when it comes to AE -and we all"start again" -I know I will be very, very picky in who I play - its simple for me - prove you have at least 1 game(preferrably2) of WITP into 44 at least -or I wont even consider you.
I personally think thats a rule we should all very carefully consider -especially in the light of people who say -Ill by WITP only when AE comes out, even after floating around these forums for years.
Have they got the patience, the persistance, the love for the game to continue PBEM ing for the years required?
They certaintly cannot show that they will abandon you 6 months down the track -or whan things go pear shaped.
WITP, WITP/AE while PBEM ing is a very serious contract -, just look at the history of the AARs -just how many of us actually are going the distance?

Well, you might want to allow for some slack on this. I haven't yet had a game go until 44, but I've had every intention to. Three games I was in my opponents just kind of vanished, another game got some nasty bugs in it and so we decided to start up anew once AE hits the shelves. My current game is on hold because of a crashed PC, but I'm pretty confident we'll get going again since he's really good about keeping up the communication.

My point is, even someone who will stick it out might not make it because of THEIR opponents or other legitimate reasons.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 15
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/29/2008 9:31:52 AM   
cantona2

quote:

HI Cantona----definately not- have tried to private message you and e mail you-both obcviously failed to connect!
Will try again when i get home tonight -Im at a defence base -and a lot of private mail does not get out!

Sorry -also note our time zone differences!
1275psi!

ps -already started plotting turn 1 -the mod is CHS 2.08 + nik mod, scene 157c
PDU OFF -advanced weather on!

Ill be in touch!

Message received 1275psi. Looking forward to our game. Pmed you my email addy.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 16
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/29/2008 9:38:55 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

quote:

...or when things go pear shaped.

Never before heard this saying, but I love it. I once knew a girl who resembled that remark....

In Athens, we used to call that "the Georgia Butt Disease": these girls would arrive on campus cute as a button but by their senior year that butt had spread...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 17
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/29/2008 11:24:27 AM   
1275psi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

quote:

Well, you might want to allow for some slack on this. I haven't yet had a game go until 44, but I've had every intention to. Three games I was in my opponents just kind of vanished, another game got some nasty bugs in it and so we decided to start up anew once AE hits the shelves. My current game is on hold because of a crashed PC, but I'm pretty confident we'll get going again since he's really good about keeping up the communication.

My point is, even someone who will stick it out might not make it because of THEIR opponents or other legitimate reasons.

Good points
sorry to hear your bad run
did not mean to offend anyone -but after all these years on the forums -we know what Im trying to say -i hope!

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 18
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/29/2008 11:26:31 AM   
1275psi

Pear shaped

its a RAN navy saying -i think it refers to what happens to 90% of our female sailors afetr a couple of years (or when things get "difficult" with the propulsion plant)

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 19
RE: OK who did I upset??? - 5/30/2008 12:02:49 AM   
DaveB

Common in the UK too - isn't it funny to discover things like this that we take for granted, and other people have never heard of?

As I will be stateside about 6 weeks from now....

..for example, everyone here knows that Scottish £5 notes are worth (ummm) 1500 US dollars, but....

Dave

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> OK who did I upset??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI