Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ratings - How Do They Work?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Maximum-Football Support >> Ratings - How Do They Work? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ratings - How Do They Work? - 5/27/2008 8:47:13 PM   
ohcanada

Having recently purchased Maximum Football, spending hours reading the forums and downloading various work by many people, I'm still at a loss as to how the player ratings work.

Reason. I took the VCFL files (thanks for that) I created a CFL league of my own (which took a bit of time) and started to play/sim games.

Now, while the stats are not too bad, I do questions some things like high completion percentages, too many sacks, no long gains on runs (25 yards max) and so on.

I also read about the simgame.DAT file and how these numbers can be tweaked to alter sim game results. Has anyone played around with these files and figured out how they alter results??

No doubt that players ratings effect this but which ones and by how much.

For example, what effects the quarterbacks completion percentage other than play selection, opponents defense and so forth.

INT, PSS, PSA, PPR???

How about lineman, running backs, linebackers??

I understand more or less which ratings may be critical, I'm just not sure how to equate them in to numbers that will produce reasonably accurate results.

Again, I realize there is more to the game then the players ratings, and many other factors have to be considered, but I would like to understand more.

Does this make sense??

Rick
Post #: 1
RE: Ratings - How Do They Work? - 5/27/2008 9:03:51 PM   
Marauders

Did you download the game or purchase a boxed copy?

The manual gives a lot of information about the skill attributes.

quote:

No doubt that players ratings effect this but which ones and by how much.

The 3D game is physics based, so many skill attributes are used for both offensive players and defenders on any given play.

On a pass, the receiver has to run his pattern, get to the spot, and catch the ball.  That used Agility, Speed, and Pass Catching skill attributes.  The quarterback must go through progressions, pass the ball, and have enough strength to get it on target.  That uses Intelligence, Pass Accuracy, and Pass Strength.  The play must also be designed with correct timing, and the linemen and back must be able to get their block in using Speed, Strength, and Blocking skills.

The sim game also uses skill attributes, but the outcomes are not played out with the actual physics based 3D engine.  Tweaking the simgame file for the league will help give similar results to the 3D games played in that league depending on how other factors like rules or playbooks are set up.

quote:

Again, I realize there is more to the game then the players ratings, and many other factors have to be considered, but I would like to understand more.

Playbooks can be a major factor.

quote:

Does this make sense??

Yes, it does.

Thank you for contributing to the forum.

< Message edited by Marauders -- 5/27/2008 9:06:08 PM >

(in reply to ohcanada)
Post #: 2
RE: Ratings - How Do They Work? - 5/28/2008 4:50:21 PM   
ohcanada

Hello,

Both actually.

The PDF manual gives some detail as well and I understand the basics of the ratings. What I'm trying to figure out is how to achieve a method or system of creating ratings from stats.

For example:

Two quarterbacks John Doe and Bill White, both played the same amount of games, and both have similar amount of pass attempts.

Doe completes 50% of his passes, throws 21 td's and 18 ints, can run (6.0 ave) and was sacked only 12 times
White completes 75% of his passes, throws 33 td's and 5 ints, can't run (2.5 ave) very few carries and was sacked 24 times.

Which stats would effect passing completion percentage? Interceptions?? Running and average???

For lineman I know blocking ability, strength and agility will distinguish the best from the worst. But what about the more skilled positions and how do we use ratings to create realistic results.

One thought I had was to use a bell curve, plot players according to certain results, and then obtain the players ratings.

I guess I need to know the key ratings and how to determine an average player as compared to the league average.

Rick

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Maximum-Football Support >> Ratings - How Do They Work? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI