Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I love this game...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> I love this game... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I love this game... - 5/28/2008 7:02:38 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

so what should i buy next. I got hold of Democracy but that was a massive dissapointment. Far too easy. I'm currently looking at starships unlimited, Guns of August and Napoleon in Italy. Anybody here play any of these games?
Post #: 1
RE: I love this game... - 5/28/2008 7:11:05 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

Thinking about it, there are plenty of games on my shelf, some of which I've never played. Any of these worth re looking at or having a first stab at do you think.

Warrior Kings, Operation Flashpoint, Blitzkrieg, Rise of Nations, Return to Castle Wolfstein, Sudden Strike, 1944 Battle of the Bulge, Strumgart, Hearts of Iron, Hidden and Dangerous, Hidden and Dangerous 2 (not looked at either 1 or 2, both picked up budget) Cossacks Back to War, Praetorians, Civ IV (any decent scenarios out there for this?), Galactic Civiliazations, Europa Universalis II.

Bearing in mind I have a two year old laptop, Not sure the FPS will work.

If anyone has one of these and they are possible to PBEm, anyone want a go?

(in reply to Delyn Locksmiths)
Post #: 2
RE: I love this game... - 5/28/2008 9:00:18 PM   
Ramcat

It really depends on what exactly you want... Are you looking for a game similar to Advanced Tactics? If so, then The Operational Art of War III is the next logical step from Advanced Tactics. Both games have their similarities but TOAoW III is much, much more complex and detailed. If you have the patience to learn its complexities, it'll be worth the wait. Along with that, it offers much more scenarios and generally longer games.

If you're just looking for another wargame in general, be sure to check out Hearts of Iron II. There's really not much that I can say about this game that hasn't been said thousands and thousands of times before. It's just a great game.

Also, I noticed you have Operation Flashpoint, which is a fantastic squad-based FPS. The battles in that game are quite intense and the campaign games are very interesting. There's so many mods and addons that it should keep you occupied for quite some time. It's a fairly old game so I don't think you'll have any problems running it on your laptop.

< Message edited by Ramcat -- 5/28/2008 9:04:48 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: I love this game... - 5/28/2008 9:04:42 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

Great, I've been meaning to look at operation flashpoint for a while. Any idea where I can get a few scenarios, add ons or campaigns?

(in reply to Ramcat)
Post #: 4
RE: I love this game... - 5/28/2008 9:10:32 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

TOAW sounds great, but maybe too close to AT? It would probably stop me playing this :DD

Though any wargame game with loads of scenarios, and options of user made scenarios would be class. I used to love Civilisation and Civ2. 3 and 4 haven't hit the heights in the same way for me, mostly cause i never found a ww2, 1979 world war, ww1 etc etc scenario for them.

Post #: 5
RE: I love this game... - 5/28/2008 9:12:48 PM   
Joshuatree

Good Lord man, enough games for the rest of your life  
I immensely enjoyed the Sudden Strike add on "Kursk" and "Stalingrad", both very much improved the gameplay.
Hidden and Dangerous 2 is likewise an awesome, albeith much underrated, game. 10 times better then your average shootah... I mean, you play as a team of four. And you can play each character, one the machinegunner, one the sniper and so on. Then you move your team to your target by stealth, force or a combination of them. Pretty cool, runs quite well on a extremely aged 2 year old laptop, hehe.
I don't know about CIV IV though, as much as I've been a CIV fan since the early beginning, I was somewhat dissapointed by this one
I also played a lot of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, what a graphical difference to the original one... Nice shooter, kill everyone then ask questions later, haha. Nice for half an hour of fun after work.

So many games for so little money, what a wealth. Then again, so many games for such a short lifespan, choices choices.

Post #: 6
RE: I love this game... - 5/28/2008 9:13:24 PM   
Ramcat

Since ArmA (the spiritual successor to OFP) came out, I haven't really touched OFP since but if you can find the official forums for the game, it has a very dedicated group of players and modders and there's usually quite a few projects undergo. In the mean time, you can check out http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/.

Also, if you like squad-based games, you should check out the Close Combat series. If you're running Vista, you're going to have much difficulties configuring and actually running the original games, in which case you can get Close Combat: Cross of Iron, which is basically Close Combat III: The Russian Front redux (my favorite in the series). But if you're running anything below Vista, you can find any of the original games for about $10 bucks on any online retailer. :)

Edit:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Delyn Locksmiths

TOAW sounds great, but maybe too close to AT? It would probably stop me playing this :DD

Though any wargame game with loads of scenarios, and options of user made scenarios would be class. I used to love Civilisation and Civ2. 3 and 4 haven't hit the heights in the same way for me, mostly cause i never found a ww2, 1979 world war, ww1 etc etc scenario for them.

If that's the case, I'm sure you'll love the Close Combat games.

< Message edited by Ramcat -- 5/28/2008 9:15:11 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: I love this game... - 5/29/2008 3:56:00 PM   
BULLDOGINTHEUK

This looks interesting:

http://www.warleaders-game.com/

I am still playing Company of Heroes 'Opposing Fronts', a superb game. I bought the original about 2 years ago and I still love it. Hearts of Iron II I played for ages as well as HOI I with the mods, that was my favourite game for a log time, but I sold HOI2 to get some cash. Close combat, ahhhh those were the days. I bought all that series years ago.

(in reply to Ramcat)
Post #: 8
RE: I love this game... - 5/30/2008 10:11:03 AM   
DasTactic

I have a fair few games I'm flicking between at the moment including Advance Tactics. Overall I like a turn based game with random terrain where a strategy that works on one map wont work on another. Advance Tactics fits the bill here nicely.

If these are the aspects of the game you enjoy I would recommend the following in no particular order:

Battle for Wesnoth
Open source (free) with heaps of different units, campaigns and a comprehensive random map generator. Fantasy setting may disturb the hard core grognards. IMHO one of the best games around. If it wasn't open source I would gladly pay for it. Good multiplayer.

Galactic Civilisations II (latest TA Update)
Very polished game with incredible replayablility. Each of the 10 races has different focus, different technology, different characteristics way beyond any other game I have played. An absolute pleasure to play from both an aesthetic as well as strategic viewpoint. Future space setting. No multiplayer.

Sins of a Solar Empire
RTS game set in space. Three races with different units, tech, and strategies. I usually don't like RTS games but Sins is the exception. Annoying and too long multiplayer. Great single player.

Age of Wonders Shadow Magic
Quite an old game now but with a dedicated support base that is building updates and mods. Fantasy turn based with 15 different races. Good random map generator. Too long for good multiplayer (played LAN multiplayer but not PBEM).

(in reply to BULLDOGINTHEUK)
Post #: 9
RE: I love this game... - 5/30/2008 6:54:08 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

so what should i buy next. I got hold of Democracy but that was a massive dissapointment. Far too easy. I'm currently looking at starships unlimited, Guns of August and Napoleon in Italy. Anybody here play any of these games?

What gets you most excited as far as gameplay? Tough to recommend one without knowing what you really like best. If you want a challenging AI and more historical scenarios in the scale of AT, I would definitely try TOAW III.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 10
RE: I love this game... - 5/31/2008 8:01:20 AM   
Spadowski

Gal Civ II and Age of Wonders are classics IMO and I have both installed on every system I have here.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: I love this game... - 6/1/2008 7:12:24 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

That battle of wesnoth is pretty damn amazing for a free game, kept me entertained this weekend. I'm downloading a ton of scenarios now, and have just played my first multi player game. Das - shall we have a game sometime?

Also, I can't find the random map generator except in multiplayer.

(in reply to Spadowski)
Post #: 12
RE: I love this game... - 6/3/2008 10:01:31 AM   
DasTactic

quote:

That battle of wesnoth is pretty damn amazing for a free game, kept me entertained this weekend. I'm downloading a ton of scenarios now, and have just played my first multi player game. Das - shall we have a game sometime?

It's good, isn't it. :) I haven't played multiplayer for quite some time but the community seems fairly active. There are often games being played where they need someone to fill in, but a game usually only lasts an hour or two from what I have seen - especially if it is team based rather than free for all. Some of the map packs you can download are purposely built for multiplayer as well.

quote:

Also, I can't find the random map generator except in multiplayer.

To generate a random map against the AI, you need to setup a multiplayer game and assign AI to the player slots. Some of the Era downloads really change the game and make it interesting.

BTW, you originally asked about Starships Unlimited. This game is also very good although it is getting a little old now graphics wise. The great thing about Starships is that each phase has a very different feel and focus which means that there is always something interesting to do. I haven't played it for a couple of years but it was on my computer for a long time. Ever since Gal Civ II came out I haven't felt like playing Starships.

< Message edited by Das123 -- 6/3/2008 10:08:08 AM >

Post #: 13
RE: I love this game... - 6/14/2008 7:04:14 PM   
Delyn Locksmiths

whilst browsing the net i found the following site .;.... http://www.wargamer.com/aor/scenarios.asp

Does anyone here play AoR? And does anybody know if i can download it somewhere?

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 14
RE: I love this game... - 6/14/2008 7:44:18 PM   
alaric318

quote:

whilst browsing the net i found the following site .;.... http://www.wargamer.com/aor/scenarios.asp

Does anyone here play AoR? And does anybody know if i can download it somewhere?

greetings, Age of Rifles is one of the most know strategy war games on the web, the site you have are around about 200/300 scenarios...

donwload it here, and hope you enjoy (it is only 10 mb)
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=1244

pd... it is abandonware, all games on the site, but only can download one game each 24 hours o you will be automatically baned, be warned, about it. the game is DOS (old windows operative system, so you need also some DOS emulator, the best on board is Dos-Box... at...
http://www.dosbox.com/news.php?show_news=1
following the readme's it is not much difficult to make on work the emulator and the games, hope you enjoy the links, and good luck with the game, the range of scenarios is inmense,

with best regards,

murat30.

There is no plan of battle that survives the contact with the enemy.

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> I love this game... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI