Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/25/2008 8:06:58 PM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

I managed to get this running for the first time today after ny59giants tipped me off to it. This is highly, highly impressive work.

Couple of suggestions though:

1. I think you should definitely include :
a) TRANSPORT RANGE for transport planes ( it is 50% of maximum range )
b) Combat and Extended range for fighters, bombers etc.

2. The manner in which delay is displayed - I see you are fixing this so it goes 1, 2, 3 etc instead of 1, 10, 11... 2, 20 etc.

3. Is it possible to include a "rough work" mode for the shipbuilding screen such that players could see what would happen if they delayed certain ships, accelerated others etc. It would allow them to reall speed up their production management.

Overall though this is hugely impressive work.

Nemo -- thanks for the compliments.

For 1), as was previously discussed, depending on the mod, the ranges are different. So I left it as an "exercise to the user" to compute that. Perhaps I could just show 'half', 'third' and 'quarter' values for those who don't have a calculator handy.

For 2), it's in the works. I finished it for ships and will move to LCUs and Air Groups later today (hopefully -- too nice outside, though).

For 3), I'll defer to Damian.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 181
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/25/2008 8:57:10 PM   
ny59giants

The more I use it, the more frustrating is the way the sort function does not work.
Thus, I see that is Priority #1.

For Priority 1A, it would be the inability to sort numerically.  If I can click on "supply" for a region and know that base "x" has the most, then it would help my deal with my OCDness more effectively.  
For Priority 1B, it would be by chronological order (few functions require it).

I'll be glad when this is fixed before other "bells and whistles" are added.

I guess I to find the "magic" whip for you two.

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 182
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/26/2008 1:12:19 AM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

The more I use it, the more frustrating is the way the sort function does not work.
Thus, I see that is Priority #1.

For Priority 1A, it would be the inability to sort numerically.  If I can click on "supply" for a region and know that base "x" has the most, then it would help my deal with my OCDness more effectively.  
For Priority 1B, it would be by chronological order (few functions require it).

I'll be glad when this is fixed before other "bells and whistles" are added.

I guess I to find the "magic" whip for you two.

I can't seem to get the supply in Bases to sort properly -- something simple I'm missing, but it's a Java issue, not that I'm not trying. Perhaps you can use the Resources panel for the time being (suggested by Coach Z).

EDIT: After I abandoned being fancy, I fixed the problem. But now bases you don't control will show "0" supply. Small price to pay.

< Message edited by floydg -- 5/26/2008 1:45:28 AM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 183
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/26/2008 2:08:11 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

I managed to get this running for the first time today after ny59giants tipped me off to it. This is highly, highly impressive work.

Couple of suggestions though:

1. I think you should definitely include :
a) TRANSPORT RANGE for transport planes ( it is 50% of maximum range )
b) Combat and Extended range for fighters, bombers etc.

2. The manner in which delay is displayed - I see you are fixing this so it goes 1, 2, 3 etc instead of 1, 10, 11... 2, 20 etc.

3. Is it possible to include a "rough work" mode for the shipbuilding screen such that players could see what would happen if they delayed certain ships, accelerated others etc. It would allow them to reall speed up their production management.

Overall though this is hugely impressive work.

quote:

3. Is it possible to include a "rough work" mode for the shipbuilding screen such that players could see what would happen if they delayed certain ships, accelerated others etc. It would allow them to really speed up their production management.

No 3. It's included. The last three columns are for that purpose.
You can see from the screen shot that I have "what if" accelerated the agano, and you can do the others by using the dropdown on the CalBr Column.

The aggregate points (Cal Pts) are changed and if it is more than avail it will change the last column. There is a small issue with queued ships, which you want to accelerate, showing building, but this is in the pipeline.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 5/26/2008 2:10:43 AM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 184
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/26/2008 2:22:43 AM   
ny59giants

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 185
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/26/2008 12:31:48 PM   
Roger Neilson II

You two are doing a great job with this, but your colour choices are destroying my eyesight!

Would it be too much to ask for some colours that are more readable and less dayglo? Lol.

Roger

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 186
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/26/2008 3:32:04 PM   
ny59giants

The pastel colors on the WitP Chart are not easy to read, as an example.

(in reply to Roger Neilson II)
Post #: 187
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/27/2008 3:09:03 PM   
n01487477

OK,
worked out how to handle the sorting methods correctly, it was a simple thing really, just had to let the program know it was dealing with Integers and not Strings... Notice how the Integer numbers are right aligned and Strings left ...

Might have to do something special for Building and NextGroup as they have two elements.

Note also that I have changed the available to have yy/mm

Pic below shows sort on Engine Use, I've changed the fonts and colours too ... also have a new button so that the table below can show the Engine Table ... thought this would help from going back and forth ...

We're listening, keep the feedback coming.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 188
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/27/2008 3:19:58 PM   
Roger Neilson II

Do you guys never sleep these days? That's fast work.

Roger

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 189
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/27/2008 3:33:29 PM   
ny59giants

Caffeine is not illegal...yet.

(in reply to Roger Neilson II)
Post #: 190
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/27/2008 3:38:57 PM   
ny59giants

ETA on when these improvements will be available for downloading to the common folks??

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 191
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/27/2008 3:47:39 PM   
Local Yokel

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

OK,
worked out how to handle the sorting methods correctly, it was a simple thing really, just had to let the program know it was dealing with Integers and not Strings... Notice how the Integer numbers are right aligned and Strings left ...

I was with ny59giants: looking forward to proper numeric sorting more than anything else. So this is really good news - can't wait for this enhancement to be made available!

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 192
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/27/2008 3:54:25 PM   
wild_Willie2

Will something like this tracker be available for AE ?, maybe even INCORPORATED into AE ???

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 193
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/27/2008 5:26:57 PM   
Nemo121

Umm, I'm not sure if this is in but can you add a print button to print these things out?

E.g. I'm sure it'd be VERY useful for Japanese players to be able to print out their airplane production figures ( airframes building and repairing and R&Ding ) and also their engine production figures ( what engines are building, where they are building and how much is being built etc) so that guys like me who like to work with pen and paper can print these things out and doodle on them as we think.

One thing I think would also be HUGELY useful would be to have an "Air War Production Screen" to properly plan airframe and engine production

Basically it would comprise the following:

1. A list of airframe factories ( both in production and repairing ) & airframe R&D factories ( both repaired and repairing )

2. A list of engine factories ( both in production and repairing )

This would then give us the totals for CURRENT aircraft production ( airframe factories producing ) and also POTENTIAL aircraft production ( aiframe factories producing + repairing ). By linking these two figures you could easily add up the number of engines of a particular type currently needed AND POTENTIALLY needed.

If you could also include the ability to read the auto-upgrade button you could create the following:

A table ( printable ) which showed the monthly engine requirements under the following two conditions:
a) no further repairs
b) assuming repairs are carried out at the rate of 1 engine or plane point repaired per factory per day from today.
c) and would account for the auto-upgrades

This table could really help players accurately predict mismatches in their engine and airframe production in time for them to take steps to remedy these shorfalls.

What I'm thinking is something along the lines of a table with 14 columns - 1 = Year, 2 = Month, 3 = Total Airframe production, 4-14 = Engine types.

Clicking on column 3 would bring up a list of what you'll be producing there under 2 conditions ( no repairs/ full repairs ) and taking into account auto-upgrades. Columns 4 to 14 would show the engine requirements each month based on whichever of the two conditions ( no repairs/full repairs ) was globally in action. Obviously it would be lovely if, in parentheses, could be added what the current potential production is.

Currently I have been doing this setup in order to test out the economic strain on Japan in 43-45 in EA and I've become convinced that it would be a hugely useful productio planning tool
By taking into account the auto-upgrades

< Message edited by Nemo121 -- 5/27/2008 6:53:12 PM >

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 194
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/27/2008 8:55:12 PM   
Woos

quote:

ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

Will something like this tracker be available for AE ?, maybe even INCORPORATED into AE ???

witpDecoder will be available for AE. It will not be integrated.
If witpTracker learns to read witpDecoder's database (after all both programs use hsqldb) there will also be a witpTracker for AE.

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 195
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/28/2008 1:54:27 AM   
n01487477

Nemo,
I think I am achieving most of what you say in the Air Production screens (Both airframes and engines and then upgrades) ... but it is early and I'm trying to digest your words...

As for printing, I'll definitely look into it, but no promises for now. Maybe you could look at these screens and make further comment. Also just confirming something from John's thread ...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli
Not sure about this. Here's the quote from the manual:
13.2.2 Industry

For aircraft to be built, there must be Heavy Industry in the pool equal to 18 times the number of engines required to build each plane; when a plane is built, the appropriate number of Heavy Industry is consumed. For example, to produce a 2 engine plane, 36 Heavy Industry will be consumed, while a single engine plane consumes 18 Heavy Industry.
-and later on about engines-

For each engine built, 18 Heavy Industry will be expended.
Therefore, a 2 engine plane will cost 72 HI.

Mike,
you are right, I tip my hat to you! I've done the appropriate testing and my results confirm:-
(Damn THE GOOD BOOK was right!)
Each engine will cost 18 HI
1 Engine airframe = 18
2 Engine airframe = 36
4 Engine airframe = 72

So a:-
1 engine plane = 18 + 18 = 36 HI
2 engine plane = 36 + 36 = 72 HI
4 engine plane = 72 + 72 = 144 HI

---Damian---

So WitpTracker is currently calculating each airframe costing 18 at present, I'll fix that when I can... so the figures may be slightly smaller than actual. Depending on the number of 2 / 4 eng planes you're building.

Regards Damian

Woo, I guess we need to talk to you and the AE team eventually ...

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 5/28/2008 12:52:12 PM >

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 196
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/28/2008 1:19:03 PM   
Ambassador

Guys, I've started using WitPTracker last night, and it's really a GREAT tool.

I'd have a couple suggestions, if you care :
- some of the data panels have a faulty "sorter" : they sort values by "alphanumerical order" instead of by true value (for example, 99 comes at the top while 100+ come with the 10-19).  I haven't tracked which panels did that, but I remember the Device, for one, has such a problem
- in the LCU panel, it would probably be useful to include the AV and the "status" of units (disabled/current squads compared to theoretical OOB), in the general listing ; I don't know if it would be a big work (I don't know if the AV is stored somewhere in the save or if the game has to compute it each time the game is launched), but it would be really useful when planning operations and looking for available units
- this one would be much bigger work I think, with a moderate utility maybe, but nonetheless I'd find it helpful so I mention it : in the Device panel, the ability to know which units use each type of device, or how many are needed at large (even a total slot/# of slots "filled"), to plan priorities for allocation of some devices
- in the ship panel, a filter to only have ships of several types, over the current CV/CVL/CVE or all switch - maybe you already planned this, but just in case...

Well, that's it for my suggestions.  Again, you get my congratulations for the job already done.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 197
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 5/28/2008 1:39:49 PM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

Guys, I've started using WitPTracker last night, and it's really a GREAT tool.

Thanks for the kind words ...
quote:

I'd have a couple suggestions, if you care :
- some of the data panels have a faulty "sorter" : they sort values by "alphanumerical order" instead of by true value (for example, 99 comes at the top while 100+ come with the 10-19). I haven't tracked which panels did that, but I remember the Device, for one, has such a problem

Yes we are looking into it ...
quote:

- in the LCU panel, it would probably be useful to include the AV and the "status" of units (disabled/current squads compared to theoretical OOB), in the general listing ; I don't know if it would be a big work (I don't know if the AV is stored somewhere in the save or if the game has to compute it each time the game is launched), but it would be really useful when planning operations and looking for available units

Have a look at the LCU production screen, some of the information you seek is here ...
quote:

- this one would be much bigger work I think, with a moderate utility maybe, but nonetheless I'd find it helpful so I mention it : in the Device panel, the ability to know which units use each type of device, or how many are needed at large (even a total slot/# of slots "filled"), to plan priorities for allocation of some devices

Floyd and I will discuss this sometime..
quote:

- in the ship panel, a filter to only have ships of several types, over the current CV/CVL/CVE or all switch - maybe you already planned this, but just in case...

Well, that's it for my suggestions. Again, you get my congratulations for the job already done.

I defer to Floyd about that ...

Anyway. Thanks again for your feedback ...
---Damian---

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 198
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 6/1/2008 4:43:19 PM   
emek

Is it possible to add in LCU screen para enabled units flag e.g. to find paratroopers?

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 199
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 6/1/2008 6:55:12 PM   
Ambassador

Thanks Damian, I've found what you said.

One thing you might want to look at : in the LCU production panel, the reinforce status (on/off) is ... a bit off.  It shows Off for those LCUs that have Allowed Reinforcements, and ON for those who have No Reinforcements. Not a great problem though.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Strength % column only indicates the percentage of disabled squads compared to the actual squads, and the reinforcement columns only refer to disabled squads, not squads needed to fill the unit's TOE.  Is that the way it's meant to be ?  Shouldn't they indicate the "missing" squads, compared to the TOE ?

(in reply to emek)
Post #: 200
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 6/1/2008 8:21:18 PM   
ird

I bought Witp about a month ago and after the turotial and tinkering on a couple of smaller scenarios I'm starting to think about jumping into the main game. My big worry was how on earth to keep track of all these units - well I've just downloaded the tracker and all I can say is thank you very, very much

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 201
RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 - 6/2/2008 12:25:32 AM   
n01487477

quote:

One thing you might want to look at : in the LCU production panel, the reinforce status (on/off) is ... a bit off. It shows Off for those LCUs that have Allowed Reinforcements, and ON for those who have No Reinforcements. Not a great problem though.

Oops, I had better check that again, thanks.
quote:

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Strength % column only indicates the percentage of disabled squads compared to the actual squads, and the reinforcement columns only refer to disabled squads, not squads needed to fill the unit's TOE. Is that the way it's meant to be ? Shouldn't they indicate the "missing" squads, compared to the TOE ?

I agree this screen is a bit dumb, in the sense that it doesn't take note of TOE yet, but it will in later iterations ... So yes, you are right about Strength and Reinforcements ...but it's a start

quote:

I bought Witp about a month ago and after the turotial and tinkering on a couple of smaller scenarios I'm starting to think about jumping into the main game. My big worry was how on earth to keep track of all these units - well I've just downloaded the tracker and all I can say is thank you very, very much

Welcome ird to the wonderful world of Witp, glad you like our tracker.

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 6/2/2008 12:28:22 AM >

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 202
WitPTracker 1.1.1 - 6/2/2008 12:40:23 AM   
floydg

Version 1.1.1 is now available (http://witptracker.googlepages.com).

The following problems have been fixed:

• Scenario names containing quote characters should now load (second try)

• Aircraft Comparison shows TB type now

• Ship Class capacity > 32000 handled

• Supply for LCU > 32000 handled

• Ship Repair Panel updates after loading a new turn

• The “Insufficient Pilots” filter in Air Groups works again

• Engine pool fix

• Production overview planes not building fix

• Values 1,000,000 or more not being read in

The following features / changes have been added:

• Sorting in many places was fixed to sort by proper dates and numeric values. Also:

• Ship Panel location shows ships in base, then ships in a TF, then ships delayed, then ships sunk
    LCU Panel location shows LCUs on the ground, then LCUs loaded on ships, then LCUs delayed

• Air Group Panel location shows Air Groups at a base, then Air Groups on a ship, then Air Groups delayed

• Base Panel basic and resource history added

• Class added to Ship Production Panel

• Toggle added to Aircraft Production Panel to switch between aircraft/engines and factories

• More ship class filters for Ship Panel and Ship Repair Panel

• Colors and fonts updated in production-related screens

We hope you enjoy this version. As always, let us know if something isn't working.

Floyd and Damian

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 203
RE: WitPTracker 1.1.1 - 6/2/2008 12:55:38 AM   
Ambassador

And it's a very promising start.

Just one question, regarding your update : do I need to uninstall the previous version, or do I only need to overwrite it ?

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 204
RE: WitPTracker 1.1.1 - 6/2/2008 1:04:56 AM   
n01487477

quote:

And it's a very promising start.

Just one question, regarding your update : do I need to uninstall the previous version, or do I only need to overwrite it ?

I do a quick backup first (just copy the folder)

Overwrite the files, but make sure you keep a copy of your witptracker.properties file as this will be overwritten too.. once everything is overwritten, copy back your original witptracker.properties...

If you want to start afresh, just delete the folder and start again, replacing your *.properties files again.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 205
RE: WitPTracker 1.1.1 - 6/2/2008 1:14:17 AM   
Thesix

I just tested again with the Andrew's Map scenario and... it works
Great, thank you very much!

Too late now to test more, I go to bed.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 206
RE: WitPTracker 1.1.1 - 6/2/2008 1:14:29 AM   
Nomad

Any idea on what happened to my Database? I have not upgraded yet.

My list of arrived ships is very long and seems to include every ship I will get someday.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 207
RE: WitPTracker 1.1.1 - 6/2/2008 1:20:13 AM   
ny59giants

KUDOS!! 

Looks great, especially the improved Aircraft Production section.
Of course, I'll give you more imput, but I'll wiat until I get a new turn to make sure there is still a problem that will go away with the new turn.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 208
RE: WitPTracker 1.1.1 - 6/2/2008 2:33:43 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad
Any idea on what happened to my Database? I have not upgraded yet.
My list of arrived ships is very long and seems to include every ship I will get someday.

Nomad,
I'm sure Floyd is thinking about that as I type, I've never seen it before, so I am puzzled

Is it just AP's ? Is it everyturn ? Anyone else seen the same thing ? Maybe if it continues, you can send the file to us for a look.

Otherwise, just wanted to look quickly at some aspects of the changes ... particularly Floyd's handy work with basic History and Resource History on the Base screen ... I think it really brings another dimension & it's in keeping with the tracker name ... it tracks...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 209
RE: WitPTracker 1.1.1 - 6/2/2008 2:38:31 AM   
n01487477

And just another shot of the changes to the AirProduction screen ...
1. added filters for Engine Type and Build status
2. The View Factories is a toggle between showing Engines here / Factories.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WitPTracker 1.0.2 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI