Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

System Req's for V7.0 and later ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> System Req's for V7.0 and later ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
System Req's for V7.0 and later ? - 3/28/2002 2:51:10 PM   
zaxilon

I have the old V1.0. Lots of fun. Got a friend that can download this latest version when it is up for download, but I cant seem to find any system req's to run it. Can one of you in the know please fill me in on what exactly the system req's are to run this game, and any of the other Matrix games for that matter. I looked over the site pretty well I think but still cant find any hard info on this. Thanks to any of you who answer. I have a pretty old machine and I dont know if these later versions will run.

:D

Later,
Zaxilon
Post #: 1
- 3/28/2002 3:07:54 PM   
herr1

I don't know if this is any help but I had version 6.1 and 7.0 running fine on my 'old' PC:-

Pentium II
Win 95
128 MB RAM
16 MB Graphics Card
6 GB HD

It may be useful for any replies if you posted your system configuration.

Dr Rob H

(in reply to zaxilon)
Post #: 2
- 3/28/2002 3:12:27 PM   
Arralen

Even a P200 with 64MB will do .. not that terrible fast, but playable :)

A.

(in reply to zaxilon)
Post #: 3
- 3/28/2002 3:23:01 PM   
Bing

I ran everything in WAW up to and including whatever was current middle of last June, when I got my new system.

The old system: P2 450 - 128 MegRAM - 8 Meg Starfighter Primary video card - Diamond Monster II 12 Meg accelerator - 9 Meg slooow HD. Made very good use of Cacheman, literally would not turn on the system without it.

Had a small problem with garbled sound for HT's and a couple others, got it working OK. Aureal sound card. Old monitor gave me a problem, not the fault of WAW, replaced it. (Tearing and jumping image - CRT gun apparently was ready to go south.)

WAW is not real demanding of systems, that's probably why you don't see anything in the way of rquirements - lots of the players use old systems. I kept my old one - if this rig goes bad I can hook up the old one and be running with WAw right away.

Bing

(in reply to zaxilon)
Post #: 4
Re: System Req's for V7.0 and later ? - 3/28/2002 10:41:32 PM   
john g

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zaxilon
[B]I have the old V1.0. Lots of fun. Got a friend that can download this latest version when it is up for download, but I cant seem to find any system req's to run it. Can one of you in the know please fill me in on what exactly the system req's are to run this game, and any of the other Matrix games for that matter. I looked over the site pretty well I think but still cant find any hard info on this. Thanks to any of you who answer. I have a pretty old machine and I dont know if these later versions will run.

:D

Later,
Zaxilon [/B][/QUOTE]

The main problem is hard drive space, with just 1 mc, the stereo sounds, and quite a few user scenarios and campaigns, spwaw has bloated up over a gig in size for me.

Any video card that can do 800x600 256 colors will do (which is anything with at least 1 meg of mem).

System ram is another thing to look at, some people (the campaign collective) build battles with as many units as the game will allow, on a very big map, you are looking at something that needs a pretty good chunk of memory.

It only needs directx (6?) though things do run fine all the way thru 8.0a, some have reported problems with dx8.1 and win98.

As far as NT service packs, etc, if other games run, then spwaw should run.

A sound card is mandatory, pay $15 and slip one in when your boss isn't looking, if you are playing on a work machine.
thanks, John.

(in reply to zaxilon)
Post #: 5
Thanks alll.....DOH!!! My system specs.. :D - 3/29/2002 2:45:44 AM   
zaxilon

Guess I should have included my system specs with my original post. Thanks all for responding so fast. I have an old Compaq with an upgraded chipset to a 233mhz, have 56MB ram, Creative Labs Graphics Blaster Extreme 3D accelerator with 8MB ram, a Soundblaster compatable sound card (I think it is a ESS 1887 or something like that). Win 98 and DX 8.1a. Does this sound like it will work on the V7.1??

I have the original release of SPWAW V1.0 which runs fine, a bit laggy if I push the game size but that is to be expected. Got to say this is the best tactical simulator I have ever seen. I really liked the Talonsoft East Front/West Front/Pacific Front until I loaded this up. For small unit actions this can not be beat. One of my favorite aspects is that I can edit units to create my own types for specific actions. I used to write scenarios for Wild Bill and the Raiders on the Talonsoft West Front. This is great for those who like to customize units or just goof around with insane what ifs. I wish you could do more with the terrain. Like mixing terrain types more on a map and the elevations need some modifications. Only 3 levels? Oh well, I am hopeing that V7.1 will have some big step changes from V1.0 that I run.

Later,
Zaxilon :D

(in reply to zaxilon)
Post #: 6
- 3/29/2002 3:14:19 AM   
Bing

Some of the propietary systems (Compaq, Gateway et al) either don't allow system memory expansion or make it so expensive you know they are ripping you off.

If you can manage it, increase system RAM to the highest possible amount - I think Win98 maxes out at 512 Meg - in any event get as much in there as you can. While more expensive than it was six months ago, memory sticks are probably still the best hardware bargain in computing.

Guaranteed: You will never regret increasing system RAM. WAW will run better, every app you have that makes use of anything beyond 56 Meg RAM will run better (this will include everything in MS Office - Excel and so on). I doubled RAM from 256 to 512. Excel and WinWord load in seconds. Literally.

Photoshop, a memory hog if there ever was one, loads in a few seconds, compared to a couple of minutes with lower RAM. Large image files are simply no problem. One size swap file is about as good as another, because for most apps 512 Megs will handle the load (Operation Flashpoint for one I believe maxes out at something like 384 Megs).

Bing

(in reply to zaxilon)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> System Req's for V7.0 and later ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI