Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Rules Clarification List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Rules Clarification List Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 12:20:34 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp
They can fly CAP as much as they want, but they can't fight when the Russians come. They are not at war with the Russians, and no German unit is attacked.

Not quite.

I am going to a lot of effort to prohibit the flying of CAP unless the 'enemy' could fly an air mission to the hex. Now 'enemy' is the tricky bit to define. The air mission has to threaten something belonging to the country considering flying CAP.

In particular, I am trying to prevent the use of CAP missions as a way of getting around the limits on air rebase missions.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 451
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 12:29:10 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
In particular, I am trying to prevent the use of CAP missions as a way of getting around the limits on air rebase missions.

You should not, CAP missions are specificaly cited by Harry Rowland as a means to do face-down rebases.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 452
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 12:33:25 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

You should not, CAP missions are specificaly cited by Harry Rowland as a means to do face-down rebases.

WTF! Is that some rule I missed?

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 453
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 12:35:51 AM   
Orm

quote:

As an example, which units on the non-phasing side can fly CAP over a hex where major power A might air transport a unit from major power B to a hex controlled by a unaligned minor (e.g., If an Italian ATR might transport a German INF to Helsinki, can CW - only at war with Germany - fly CAP from a carrier based in the Baltic?).

A quick peek at the rules gives the following in regards of transports

"During port strikes and naval combats, a unit can’t fight against units from the
other side unless it is at war with at least one of them (being at war with an enemy
unit the naval unit is transporting is not enough)
."

And if that applies to ATR (as I would think) the carrier may not fight the Italian ATR and if you play with CAP on legal targets only the CVP may not CAP.

Post #: 454
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 12:38:00 AM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not a rule, but it is very widely known amongst the WiF players (please tell Steve I'm right ) that CAP is a way for players to perform extra short range rebases, at the price of having the air unit turned face-down.

Speaking of rules, the CAP rules never say that the target you decide to cover with CAP has to be threatened by the enemy.

This said, there was an option in CWiF to only allow CAP to valid target hexes to limit it somehow so that gamey play is excluded. I think that this option was good, and I turned it on when I played.

Post #: 455
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 12:39:41 AM   
lomyrin

quote:

quote:

quote:

The rules specifically state that in para 14.2.1

Lars

Post #: 456
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 12:41:09 AM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

As an example, which units on the non-phasing side can fly CAP over a hex where major power A might air transport a unit from major power B to a hex controlled by a unaligned minor (e.g., If an Italian ATR might transport a German INF to Helsinki, can CW - only at war with Germany - fly CAP from a carrier based in the Baltic?).

A quick peek at the rules gives the following in regards of transports

"During port strikes and naval combats, a unit can’t fight against units from the
other side unless it is at war with at least one of them (being at war with an enemy
unit the naval unit is transporting is not enough)
."

And if that applies to ATR (as I would think) the carrier may not fight the Italian ATR and if you play with CAP on legal targets only the CVP may not CAP.

I think that Orm is right, except that I'd allow the CW to perform a CAP, but they would not be able to fight because they are not at war with the Italian ATR.
Why would the CW be prevented from doing a CAP over any hex during the other side's air transport phase ? The only thing that is forbidden is for the British to fight the Italians.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 457
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 12:45:29 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

I think that Orm is right, except that I'd allow the CW to perform a CAP, but they would not be able to fight because they are not at war with the Italian ATR.
Why would the CW be prevented from doing a CAP over any hex during the other side's air transport phase ? The only thing that is forbidden is for the British to fight the Italians.

Hence the "if you play with CAP on legal targets only"

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 458
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 12:49:23 AM   
Froonp

quote:

Hence the "if you play with CAP on legal targets only"

Yes, but even that one may allow the CW to CAP against the Italian ATR, I don't remember how it worked. I'm not sure it was not only to restrain the players to CAP ports only on Port Attacks, land & air units on Ground Strikes, Factories on Strategic air missions... don't remember indeed how it worked... This said, I never use the CAP to do short range rebases, so I did not notice the difference between the option and not the option

Hey, but this said, the hex where the Italians do Air Transport is a legal target too . So why prevent the CW to CAP it ? Only prevent them to fight the Italians. I guess I need to sleep now.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 459
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 1:03:45 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: lomyrin

quote:

quote:

quote:

The rules specifically state that in para 14.2.1

Lars

Thanks.

I see that I have already figured this all out previously. Maintaining perfect recall of all the rules is clearly beyond my ability.

Note the Deviation I wrote (some day a long time ago) in Rules as Coded (RAC).

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 460
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 1:09:35 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not a rule, but it is very widely known amongst the WiF players (please tell Steve I'm right ) that CAP is a way for players to perform extra short range rebases, at the price of having the air unit turned face-down.

Speaking of rules, the CAP rules never say that the target you decide to cover with CAP has to be threatened by the enemy.

This said, there was an option in CWiF to only allow CAP to valid target hexes to limit it somehow so that gamey play is excluded. I think that this option was good, and I turned it on when I played.

I am quite willing to permit flying an air rebase that does not count against air activity limits provided the air unit becomes disorganized at the end of its move. But having "air rebases" occur during CAP operations doesn't appeal to me at all.

And why are they called "short rebases"? Is that because they are not triple the unit's range over neutral territory?

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 461
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 1:12:26 AM   
Froonp

quote:

I am quite willing to permit flying an air rebase that does not count against air activity limits provided the air unit becomes disorganized at the end of its move. But having "air rebases" occur during CAP operations doesn't appeal to me at all.

And why are they called "short rebases"? Is that because they are not triple the unit's range over neutral territory?

I wonder if we are not misunderstanding here. I'm not asking to perform rebase missions during the CAP, I just say that CAP can be used as a kind of rebase, as lomyrin pointed out from 14.2.1.

I called this short rebase because CAP can't be triple range.

Post #: 462
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 2:25:25 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

I wonder if we are not misunderstanding here. I'm not asking to perform rebase missions during the CAP, I just say that CAP can be used as a kind of rebase, as lomyrin pointed out from 14.2.1.

I called this short rebase because CAP can't be triple range.

You might call it CAP but as described this has absolutely nothing to do with combat air patrol - since air-to-air combat can never take place.

It is a supplement to the standard rebase rule that enables non-phasnig players to perform a modified rebase in any of the 8 different CAP subphases. I'm sorry, but this makes no sense to me.

Moving air units during combat air patrol that is not combat air patrol? And it can be performed dozens of hexes behind the front lines while the other side is the phasing side?

For example, the other side is about to end the turn with the current impulse, and even though my side will not get another impulse this turn, I can 'rebase' all my fighters freely during the other side's last impulse?

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 463
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 3:12:07 AM   
Taxman66

To get around the 'illlogic' you could add additional/unlimited rebases (or reduced range rebases) where the plane flips at the end.

Post #: 464
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 3:30:00 AM   
DavidFaust

quote:

I agree with your point of view. I would be happy if it was removed competly as it has little to no value in the game ( we never used it in 5+ 39-45 games).

Flying CAP is like flying any other air mission in the game. Once it has finished it's CAP mission it is returned to base face down.

< Message edited by kingtiger_501 -- 6/2/2008 3:42:49 AM >

Post #: 465
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 3:54:08 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

To get around the 'illlogic' you could add additional/unlimited rebases (or reduced range rebases) where the plane flips at the end.

Yes, I would prefer to simply allow the phasing player, during the rebase phase, to rebase any organized air units he so desires (not just fighters) with the choice of either:
(1) expending an air rebase 'activity' with the air unit remaining organized after rebasing, or
(2) not expending an air rebase 'activity' with the air unit becoming disorganized after rebasing.

#1 is the current rule on rebasing air units. #2 is a proposed replacement of the "CAP rebase" rule.
---
For now, I am only writing code for #1 above. And I am enforcing the "can not fly CAP unless the hex is threatened" deviation from RAW that I wrote into RAC section 14.2.1.

Steve

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 466
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 8:48:56 AM   
Froonp

quote:

quote:

Yes, I would prefer to simply allow the phasing player, during the rebase phase, to rebase any organized air units he so desires (not just fighters) with the choice of either:
(1) expending an air rebase 'activity' with the air unit remaining organized after rebasing, or
(2) not expending an air rebase 'activity' with the air unit becoming disorganized after rebasing.

#1 is the current rule on rebasing air units. #2 is a proposed replacement of the "CAP rebase" rule.
---
For now, I am only writing code for #1 above. And I am enforcing the "can not fly CAP unless the hex is threatened" deviation from RAW that I wrote into RAC section 14.2.1.

If you look into the Annual 2008, this is one of the house rules that are proposed in the section "House of rules" :

Aircraft rebasing (WiF 11.17)
During aircraft rebase, aircraft may rebase as normal at no mission cost. However aircraft rebased in this manner must end their move face-down.

Post #: 467
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 10:33:04 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

quote:

quote:

---

If you look into the Annual 2008, this is one of the house rules that are proposed in the section "House of rules" :

Aircraft rebasing (WiF 11.17)
During aircraft rebase, aircraft may rebase as normal at no mission cost. However aircraft rebased in this manner must end their move face-down.

Firstly the short rebase via CAP is used by a lot of WiFers IMO. You do it precisely because the turn might end and the value of having the unit moved versus available for a mission if the turn continues is higher in your judgement. The problem that arose in our group long ago when players realized its full value, is that RAW says something about CAPing "a valid target hex". That phrase tied us up in knots because of all the possible ways to judge a valid target given as you say the 14 different points in an Impulse when CAP might fly. Late in the game when planes arrive with ranges of 20 plus, (and you're more likely to be doing it because the action limits just won't meet all your needs as you now have way more planes) - it just got crazy arguing about what was "a valid target" . It also seemed strange that during Offensive Ground Support, the possible target list would be only hexes on which attacks were declared, but during the enemy Strategic Bombing step (not even during your own Impulse!) the list could be just about anywhere that wasn't having bad weather (which also contradicts that normal rebasing is the only thing you can do in bad weather!)

We finally ended up House Ruling that either side could do it anytime, anywhere that wasn't having bad weather. After all, unless you are swimming in Offensive Chits, that plane is blown for the turn so it all works into the gamble of what to do based on whether you think the turn will end - which is exactly one of the big attractions of the game.

So I think the new optional is a great solution that removes the tactic from its association with CAP, but I also think it should be limited to Fighters and they can only fly double - not triple. That keeps the change closer to WiF as we know and love it, rather than encouraging unanticipated consequences of making the change too severe.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 468
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 10:48:35 AM   
Froonp

There is an ADG sanctionned house rule (that I quoted above) so why discuss it further by saying only FTR, only double range & all ? This is an house rule ADG has published in the official Annual 2008, so if we want something on the line of extra rebases with the air unit disrupted, then let's take it as it is.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 469
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 11:48:13 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

There is an ADG sanctionned house rule (that I quoted above) so why discuss it further by saying only FTR, only double range & all ? This is an house rule ADG has published in the official Annual 2008, so if we want something on the line of extra rebases with the air unit disrupted, then let's take it as it is.

1. Um, this is a discussion forum - or am I mistaken?
2. Steve has stated in one of the umpteen posts I've read recently, that where MWiF will deviate from WiFFE, the intention is to minimize the deviation.
3, As you say ADG calls it a House Rule suggestion. I should not have referred to it as an Optional. I believe I've also read recently that nothing from the 08 Annual will make it into the first MWiF release and my intention was not to suggest this at all. My intention was to suggest that this may be a better way to handle CAP rebases (as a deviation from WiFFE) based on the struggle Steve described he was having with it.

Upon further reflection, as long as Steve is successful in programming all possible CAP opportunities, he will de facto allow players to do short range flipped rebasing of fighters to their heart's content - probably more in the spirit of RAW's original intent - and the whole issue goes away! The reason it ever got mentioned in RAW as a "short range rebase" was probably that a rules writer twigged to the fact that players could make use of CAP for exactly this purpose and there was no way to limit it. What are you going to do - argue with your opponent about why he flew a legal mission?

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 470
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 12:56:44 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

1. Um, this is a discussion forum - or am I mistaken?
2. Steve has stated in one of the umpteen posts I've read recently, that where MWiF will deviate from WiFFE, the intention is to minimize the deviation.
3, As you say ADG calls it a House Rule suggestion. I should not have referred to it as an Optional. I believe I've also read recently that nothing from the 08 Annual will make it into the first MWiF release and my intention was not to suggest this at all. My intention was to suggest that this may be a better way to handle CAP rebases (as a deviation from WiFFE) based on the struggle Steve described he was having with it.

Upon further reflection, as long as Steve is successful in programming all possible CAP opportunities, he will de facto allow players to do short range flipped rebasing of fighters to their heart's content - probably more in the spirit of RAW's original intent - and the whole issue goes away! The reason it ever got mentioned in RAW as a "short range rebase" was probably that a rules writer twigged to the fact that players could make use of CAP for exactly this purpose and there was no way to limit it. What are you going to do - argue with your opponent about why he flew a legal mission?

I would be happy to let this topic fade away.

1 - I will implement the deviation to CAP missions as I documented it in RAC months ago (described in an earlier post in this thread today).

2 - I have the nitty-gritty of determining viable target hexes worked out at this point. Air Transport missions were the most wide open, since the non-phasing player needs only have a fighter capable of reaching a hex where an air transport from the phasing side might drop or pick up a unit.

3 - Though I offered earlier today to implement the rebasing house rule from 2008 WIF Annual, at the time I did not know it was presented as such therein. My standard policy on house rules, and those in the 2008 Annual in paerticular, is that they are for a future MWIF product, not for MWIF #1.

Steve

Post #: 471
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 1:41:15 PM   
Froonp

quote:

1 - I will implement the deviation to CAP missions as I documented it in RAC months ago (described in an earlier post in this thread today).

2 - I have the nitty-gritty of determining viable target hexes worked out at this point. Air Transport missions were the most wide open, since the non-phasing player needs only have a fighter capable of reaching a hex where an air transport from the phasing side might drop or pick up a unit.

3 - Though I offered earlier today to implement the rebasing house rule from 2008 WIF Annual, at the time I did not know it was presented as such therein. My standard policy on house rules, and those in the 2008 Annual in paerticular, is that they are for a future MWIF product, not for MWIF #1.

I think 1 & 2 will satisfy the WiF players, and I agree with them.
I'd also have agreed to 3, but 1 & 2 are already good enough.

Post #: 472
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 4:01:50 PM   
brian brian

what is really ironic about the whole thing is the idea of unlimited flipped rebases is not new at all...that's how it was in 5th Edition. you can lead a WiF player to an air impulse, but you can't make him take one.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 473
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 5:05:56 PM   
composer99

"Units from a minor country cooperate with units from its controlling major power or minor country."

becomes:

"Units from a minor country cooperate with units from the major power with which it is aligned."

The Dutch & the Belgians have their own aligned minor countries (Belgian Congo & NEI) that have units.

~ Composer99

Post #: 474
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 7:17:21 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

"Units from a minor country cooperate with units from its controlling major power or minor country."

becomes:

"Units from a minor country cooperate with units from the major power with which it is aligned."

The Dutch & the Belgians have their own aligned minor countries (Belgian Congo & NEI) that have units.

Oh yes, good catch Christopher, I had missed this from the post of Steve.
Christopher is right Steve, and you should keep the original sentence.

Edit : There is also
- Portugal that controls Angola, Mozambique and Portuguese Guinea.
- Spain that controls Er Rif and Spanish Sahara.

< Message edited by Froonp -- 6/2/2008 7:20:15 PM >

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 475
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 7:49:33 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

becomes:

Thanks. I need examples like this when thinking through the different rules. When everything is in the abstract, it is almost impossible to understand what some rules mean.

Steve

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 476
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 9:08:21 PM   
lomyrin

quote:

quote:

becomes:

Oh yes, good catch Christopher, I had missed this from the post of Steve.
Christopher is right Steve, and you should keep the original sentence.

Edit : There is also
- Portugal that controls Angola, Mozambique and Portuguese Guinea.
- Spain that controls Er Rif and Spanish Sahara.

Portugal also has territories Azores, Cap Verde Isaldns, Macau, East Timor.

Lars

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 477
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/2/2008 9:37:00 PM   
composer99

I was mainly thinking of those minors that control other minors with units, since those are the ones for whom cooperation arises as an issue. As far as I can recall, only Belgium & the Netherlands control their own colonies that themselves have units.

~ Composer99

(in reply to lomyrin)
Post #: 478
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/3/2008 12:29:09 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

An ATR can start empty or carrying another unit/cargo for an air transport mission. For a paradrop mission, it has to be carrying a qualified unit/cargo. Let’s call its starting hex O for point of origination. The weather in the hex O does not matter for either air transport or paradrop missions. The weather in the destination hex, D, does matter, and may prevent either mission type from being flown.

For air transport missions, the ATR may start empty in hex O and pick up a unit/cargo in hex D. Whether dropping off or picking up cargo in hex D, the air transport mission requires that the ATR be capable of landing in hex D, though it does not have to actually land there. For instance, normally the terrain in hex D could not be mountain.

So far so good.

quote:

For paradrop missions, the ATR has to be capable of landing in D, if D is a friendly controlled hex (explicitly stated in the rules). Implicit from that statement is that a paradrop can be made into hex D, even if the ATR can not land there, but if and only if the hex is enemy controlled.

No, the ATR does not have to be capable of landing in hex D for paradrops.

quote:

After completing their mission in hex D, both air transport and paradrop missions fly to a return hex, R. Since both air transport and paradrop missions are subject to air-to-air and anti-air combat in hex D, they might be aborting their mission when they fly to R.

Now the tricky bit is that an ATR is forbidden from returning to R with cargo if the weather in R is bad (storm/blizzard). Note that if it is empty, the ATR can return to a bad weather hex. And if the weather isn’t bad, the ATR can return with cargo. The abort result can produce a situation where the ATR still has its cargo and has to find a return hex with acceptable weather.

So my question is what happens to the ATR and its cargo that has been forced to abort, with cargo, from an air transport or paradrop mission when there is no viable return hex due to bad weather?

One partial solution is that for an air transport mission the ATR be forced to land in D, which has good weather and where we know it is capable of landing. This does raise the question of what ‘abort’ means for an air transport mission. For example, the ATR might have been simply trying to fly its cargo from O to D. Even though it is aborted over hex D, is it still permitted to land/deliver its cargo there? I would say yes. But I do not know whether that means it is subject to a second round of air-to-air and anti-air combat? - which would be true if its return hex R is not D.

The more difficult case is for a paradrop mission where the expected mission was to fly from O (which has bad weather) to D, drop the paratroop unit and then return to R (which has bad weather). In fact, R could very well be O. Two solutions are: (1) force the ATR to return to O, so there is no advantage to the phasing player, or (2) destroy the cargo unit and let the ATR return anywhere it likes. I sort of doubt that the crew of the ATR would be capable of pushing all the paratroopers out of the plane, just so the ATR could return to base safely. My preference is for #1.

About the second round of of AtoA and flak after a combat abort, I had never thought of that before and brought it up on the Yahoo Rules Group. Patrice and I and one other member discussed this and concluded that there is no second round because:
1. The combat abort takes the ATR (and its cargo) out of the normal Air Transport sequence. The ATR aborts, it and its cargo flips and it cannot be intercepted again.
2. Another problem with intercepting a combat abort is that it would open the door to a potentially (but of course unlikely) endless chain of re-aborts and re-interceptions.
Of course if the ATR clears through then the Air Transport sequence continues and it may be intercepted later when it returns to base.
As there is presently consensus on the Rules List about this, it will not likely be asked of Harry.

About the abort going to a bad weather hex, the present recommendation to Harry is that this only be allowed to occur with cargo onboard if (a) there is no other choice that has acceptable weather and (b) it goes back to its origin. But of course Harry must still approve this version of the clarification as of this date.

Post #: 479
RE: Rules Clarification List - 6/3/2008 12:43:30 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

quote:

For paradrop missions, the ATR has to be capable of landing in D, if D is a friendly controlled hex (explicitly stated in the rules). Implicit from that statement is that a paradrop can be made into hex D, even if the ATR can not land there, but if and only if the hex is enemy controlled.

No, the ATR does not have to be capable of landing in hex D for paradrops.

quote:

After completing their mission in hex D, both air transport and paradrop missions fly to a return hex, R. Since both air transport and paradrop missions are subject to air-to-air and anti-air combat in hex D, they might be aborting their mission when they fly to R.

Now the tricky bit is that an ATR is forbidden from returning to R with cargo if the weather in R is bad (storm/blizzard). Note that if it is empty, the ATR can return to a bad weather hex. And if the weather isn’t bad, the ATR can return with cargo. The abort result can produce a situation where the ATR still has its cargo and has to find a return hex with acceptable weather.

So my question is what happens to the ATR and its cargo that has been forced to abort, with cargo, from an air transport or paradrop mission when there is no viable return hex due to bad weather?

One partial solution is that for an air transport mission the ATR be forced to land in D, which has good weather and where we know it is capable of landing. This does raise the question of what ‘abort’ means for an air transport mission. For example, the ATR might have been simply trying to fly its cargo from O to D. Even though it is aborted over hex D, is it still permitted to land/deliver its cargo there? I would say yes. But I do not know whether that means it is subject to a second round of air-to-air and anti-air combat? - which would be true if its return hex R is not D.

The more difficult case is for a paradrop mission where the expected mission was to fly from O (which has bad weather) to D, drop the paratroop unit and then return to R (which has bad weather). In fact, R could very well be O. Two solutions are: (1) force the ATR to return to O, so there is no advantage to the phasing player, or (2) destroy the cargo unit and let the ATR return anywhere it likes. I sort of doubt that the crew of the ATR would be capable of pushing all the paratroopers out of the plane, just so the ATR could return to base safely. My preference is for #1.

About the second round of of AtoA and flak after a combat abort, I had never thought of that before and brought it up on the Yahoo Rules Group. Patrice and I and one other member discussed this and concluded that there is no second round because:
1. The combat abort takes the ATR (and its cargo) out of the normal Air Transport sequence. The ATR aborts, it and its cargo flips and it cannot be intercepted again.
2. Another problem with intercepting a combat abort is that it would open the door to a potentially (but of course unlikely) endless chain of re-aborts and re-interceptions.
Of course if the ATR clears through then the Air Transport sequence continues and it may be intercepted later when it returns to base.
As there is presently consensus on the Rules List about this, it will not likely be asked of Harry.

About the abort going to a bad weather hex, the present recommendation to Harry is that this only be allowed to occur with cargo onboard if (a) there is no other choice that has acceptable weather and (b) it goes back to its origin. But of course Harry must still approve this version of the clarification as of this date.

If a paradrop does not have to be capable of landing in a friendly hex in order to paradrop into it, then that presents a loophole where you can paradrop a reinforcement into a hex where you could not otherwise air transport a reinforcement.
--
Skipping the air-to-air and anti-air combat in the return-to-base hex because a unit was aborted in the pickup hex has some bad consequences.

An air transport can pick up cargo in a target hex, before the air-to-air and anti-air combat in that hex, and its mission is clearly to transport the cargo to some other (ultimate) destination. It will have to undergo a second round of air-to-air and anti-air combat when it arrives at the ultimate destination hex. However, if it is aborted at the target hex (where it picked up its cargo), it then has an un-bothered landing at the ultimate destination. The result is that you hope to be aborted at the pickup hex because you then know that both the ATR and its cargo will land safely in the ultimate destination hex.

Steve

Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Rules Clarification List Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI