Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: BCFX

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> OT: BCFX Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: BCFX - 6/3/2008 2:10:26 AM   
quixian

I just got my package with BCFX (Black College Football: The Xperience) and am installing it now. Will post some impressions / facts in a bit as I come across things in the game.
Post #: 1
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/3/2008 2:20:41 AM   
quixian

Installation isn't even done yet, and there is some good news - the rosters appear to be saved in .xml format.  I was able to right click on one and open as text file and it appears to be readable (and hopefully editable).  I'm not super familiar with .xml stuff, but I believe it can be pretty easily worked with.  More info as I find it.

(in reply to quixian)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/3/2008 4:58:55 AM   
quixian

OK, got the game installed and was able to play about a game and a half....now here's a few quick impressions to pass along:

- Great arcade gameplay - very similar to the 360/PS3 version of NCAA Football 08. There is no "jump the snap" or "momentum meter" gimmicks but you can get a player "Nerjyzed" if you make a few big plays. It's pretty similar to when you get an "impact player" on a hot streak or in the zone on NCAA 08. Gameplay feels pretty challenging, swift (but not too fast, imo), and fair.

- Game modes are as follows:

Quick Game - Essentially, play an exhibition game with 2 teams you choose from the roster of active teams.

Classics Mode - Lets you play one of the annual "Classic" games. Much like playing Rivalry Mode in NCAA 08. I was able to play the Florida Classic (FAMU vs BCC), which I haven't seen in person since it left Tampa sometime in the 90s.

Practice Mode - self explanatory.

5th Quarter Mode - Lets you play the battle of the bands minigame, which is something like playing guitar hero / frequency. I didn't mess with that much yet.

- There is NO season mode. This is the only real complaint I have with the game thus far.

- Editability - seems like you might be able to edit the team names and full rosters from viewing the .xml files that are included with the game. The graphics may be more tricky, however, as the files have proprietary extensions (.nee and .bcf) - which means they may open using an Unreal editor or something similar, or they may not be editable. Hard to say without having tried anything yet. I'm guessing the playbooks are hard-coded as well, but will look around a bit to see what I can find out.

Overall early impression - worth the $30 for me as I don't have a 360/PS3 right now and was kind of looking forward to playing an arcade college football game with next-gen graphics. Definitely not a good choice of a game to create your own football universe, but we have MaxFB for that. So, it depends on what you're looking for. I'm going to give it more playtime and it *may* ultimately move ahead of Madden PC for my arcade FB fix. MaxFB is still unquestionably my game of choice for custom leagues, art and plays.

< Message edited by quixian -- 6/3/2008 5:03:23 AM >

(in reply to quixian)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/3/2008 1:59:06 PM   
Mykal

No season mode ???????????

Thanks man, that keeps my Pounds and pence in my pocket

For me no season mode, means no buy
cheers quixian, saved me some money

Mykal

(in reply to quixian)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/3/2008 7:13:53 PM   
David Winter

That's a long credits list....

(in reply to Mykal)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/3/2008 7:18:24 PM   
DONMVP

Glad someone reviewed it . Sounds ok , except for the no season bit .

(in reply to David Winter)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/3/2008 7:24:38 PM   
quixian

LOL @ the credits list.  I think they credited quite a few of the schools' band performers they worked with.  They even managed to work in a shout-out for the classic film Iron Eagle's own "Chappy" Sinclair, Lou Gossett, Jr.  Gotta love that. 

Thanks to the mods for allowing these off-topic discussions of other PC sports titles, by the way.  That being said, to keep the MaxFB forums clutter-free, I'll probably start up a thread at FBFreaks or EAMods with further impressions of the game as I get a chance to play it more.   

(in reply to DONMVP)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/3/2008 8:00:54 PM   
Marauders

quote:

Thanks to the mods for allowing these off-topic discussions of other PC sports titles, by the way. That being said, to keep the MaxFB forums clutter-free, I'll probably start up a thread at FBFreaks or EAMods with further impressions of the game as I get a chance to play it more.

I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to allow threads about competitor's products, but it is a good opportunity to see what Maximum Football has and they do not.

I see many PC football games that have come out or are coming out with some features or graphics that make them look nice, but so far I have not seen one match what Maximum Football can do with playbooks and gameplans. When it comes to rule sets, nothing somes close.

I have kept an eye on Backbreaker, BCFX, and other games, and I know that David has as well. It's always a good idea to know what's out there. Most of us play other football games other than Maximum Football, and I would hope that Madden, FOF, BCFX, and other game players would also take a good look at Maximum Football.

quote:

They even managed to work in a shout-out for the classic film Iron Eagle's own "Chappy" Sinclair, Lou Gossett, Jr. Gotta love that.

I did notice that. Perhaps he has a voice-over role.

(in reply to quixian)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/3/2008 8:09:55 PM   
therhino

I guess I won't be buying BCFx. 1. No league mode and 2. The game isn't ment to be edited. Thanks quixian for posting on it you just saved me $30.
TheRhin

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/4/2008 12:00:04 AM   
local8h

Wow quixian, thanks for that infos, i guess i just saved myself 30 bucks. how could they make a game with out a season mode thats a shame.

thanks again for letting us know.

(in reply to therhino)
Post #: 10
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/4/2008 12:17:02 AM   
therhino

How did they get the grahics they got? Those are pretty amazing.
TheRhino

(in reply to local8h)
Post #: 11
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/4/2008 2:08:26 AM   
garysorrell

Isnt it the unreal engine? Or am I mistaken.

(in reply to therhino)
Post #: 12
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/4/2008 2:12:17 AM   
therhino

I wish David could get that engine. Maximum Football would sell like crazy. Those graphics kill Maddens and with all the other cool features David put in the game it would be amazing I think how many people would jump on with MaxFB.
TheRhino

(in reply to garysorrell)
Post #: 13
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/4/2008 4:45:02 AM   
Marauders

From the vids I have seen, the stadiums and models don't look to have any more polys than Maximum Football - maybe even less.  They have sort of a comic book quality to them, but the motion capture helps with the animations.  Of course, I am looking at vids and not the game itself.

(in reply to therhino)
Post #: 14
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/4/2008 12:53:37 PM   
Mykal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marauders

I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to allow threads about competitor's products, but it is a good opportunity to see what Maximum Football has and they do not.

Man, Freedom of speech and all that Marauders
Besides, trying to silence people would be a bad idea (in my humble opinion)
So Far, For my money MaxFootball more than matches upto other Titles

Crisp clean quality graphics are nice but if the game lacks depth, who wants it
they soon become shelf titles in my house anyway, played once or twice, then stored away to collect dust.

The Game depth that Max Football brings to the table more than over shines graphics

Folk post about Madden and other titles.........so what
show me one post were someone said "Madden is Better" or any other Football title for that matter.

In Short "Max Football" ROCKS, bring on the competion.

Just my 10 cents

Mykal

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 15
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/4/2008 9:59:08 PM   
local8h

they soon become shelf titles in my house anyway, played once or twice, then stored away to collect dust.

Well Said Mykal, I have so many PC football games along with console thats collecting dust and eye sore on my library
and the only one is not collecting dust is David Winters Masterpiece Maximum Football and yes EA Madden 04...

< Message edited by local8h -- 6/4/2008 10:02:52 PM >

(in reply to Mykal)
Post #: 16
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/4/2008 11:07:05 PM   
David Winter

Yes they use the Unreal engine. Part of their marketing material calls that out specifically.. something about being the first sports title to use the engine or something like that.

It's a very good graphics engine but out of my price range I'm afraid. Based on their manual credits, they're using the motion capture company I'd spoken to about 2 years ago. We'd had some discussions about what it would take and again.. it simply fell out of my price range.

They've done a lot of things I'd love to do and found investers with deep pockets. The two games are sort of pointed at two different targets. I'm sure it will work out for them.

(in reply to local8h)
Post #: 17
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/5/2008 3:39:19 AM   
quixian

Well, if anyone was actually still considering a purchase, let me just say that if you want a competitive CPU opponent, don't bother.  One big flaw is that pretty much every corner route is a money play, and the CPU can't cover those routes to save its life.  I think I went 4-6 for 3 TDs throwing those in 1 quarter.  Needless to say, I won't be spending any further time on it - in fact, I'll probably Ebay it this weekend.  The game has some nice things going for it, especially eye-candy and ear-candy wise and I actually am not too bent out of shape that I bought it, since I am supportive of PC football game development. 

Post #: 18
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/5/2008 3:48:15 AM   
Mykal

quote:

ORIGINAL: local8h

Well Said Mykal, I have so many PC football games along with console thats collecting dust and eye sore on my library
and the only one is not collecting dust is David Winters Masterpiece Maximum Football and yes EA Madden 04...

Same here Gil, loads of football games, most of which never see the light of day
I actually play 3 of them in total

Max football...............obviously
Madden 04.................same as you
and ESPN 2K5 on the XBOX 360 (backwards compatible from the XBOX)

other than that, there all dust gatherers.

Mykal

(in reply to local8h)
Post #: 19
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/5/2008 4:10:08 AM   
David Winter

I was always a fan of NFL Fever 2000 for the PC. At the time it was graphically very good, but more than that it just seemed to play well. Yeah, no league play or anything, simply play editor. But the game play was pretty good. Fun game.

(in reply to Mykal)
Post #: 20
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/5/2008 4:51:37 AM   
quixian

Yup, for being a bare-bones PC football game, NFL Fever was great for its time.  Actually, I remember first hearing about WinterValley's CFL football game (and later MaxFB) on Brian Hitterman's old Catch The Fever website that was dedicated to user mods for NFL Fever.  Fever was the first sports game I ever tried modding myself and it was tailor-made for modding.  There were a ton of great uniform edits, custom playbooks, even custom sounds.  The playbook mods immensely improved the gameplay and the 3rd party editors helped fix the rosters to enhance the on-field results.  There were no sliders or constants files to modify so you had to modify the attributes globally via a 3rd party editor to affect the gameplay.  The whole Fever experience really sold me on football gaming on the PC - I never really cared for the poor arcade engine of the FBPro series and loved (and still love) seeing the games play out on the field.

Seeing the games play out on the field and the incredible array of options you can edit in MaxFB is what keeps me hooked.  I was hoping that BCFX would be more like Fever in a lot of ways - at worst, I was at least hoping that the core gameplay AI was solid enough to make it worth firing up the game every now and again as a change of pace.  Ah well - there's always more things I have to play around with in MaxFB...

Post #: 21
RE: OT: BCFX - 6/5/2008 5:47:41 AM   
David Winter

quote:

Brian Hitterman's old Catch The Fever website that was dedicated to user mods for NFL Fever. 

Brian and I had a lot of discussions at the time. He was, I believe, the first person I ever spoke to about doing a multi rule game (US and Cdn rules only at the time) and he was the first to know that the games title would be Maximum-Football. He was the one that introduced me to NFL Fever, we were both thinking "NFL Fever but with multiple rules". Anyway.. here we are now.

I've lost touch with him, I tried to find him through his old site but I think it's so out of date now none of the email works.

(in reply to quixian)
Post #: 22
RE: OT: BCFX - 8/4/2008 3:01:51 PM   
jedikevin20

I live in baton rouge where the BCFX game company is located and whats been told on the news is that this game will get updates each year for free. Basically they are doing what most people wanted in ncaa and madden games by just sending you with updates to rosters etc. Not only that but the update this year is suppose to have, online mode, create a character, and more additions to band music. They gave no timeline when the release will happen but if you go to http://www.nerjyzed.com/games.html you will notice it states online mode and about creating the character. Who knows if they will ever release anything but they did pay for a 3 year ownership of the CIAA, swac, SIAC and some  meac teams. IF you guys wanna see a gameplay vid i posted vids a month ago in the review section at amazon ( look up classic version) or at youtube at the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQIR51MFbfQ

< Message edited by jedikevin20 -- 8/4/2008 3:03:29 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: OT: BCFX - 8/4/2008 4:05:26 PM   
quixian

Awesome, thanks for the updates, Kevin - I'll check it out.

(in reply to quixian)
Post #: 24
RE: OT: BCFX - 8/31/2008 7:48:34 PM   
local8h

Well, I bought BCFX at a nearby Circuit City for $30.00, I knew what i was dealing with but went ahead and bought it just to have it in my PC Football collection. This game straight to the point Sucks..No Season mode at all, graphics is blurry outside the playing area which got me dizzy(meaning its only focus on the field anything outside like stadium,crowds and sideline is very blurry).This is just an arcade game, no PC to PC or Coach mode.No Editing exist for graphics roster and etc.Now they said theres upcomming updates but i check around especially the main website and there are no sign of it nor any news.
Well atleast its in my sports rooms glass cabinet as a conversation piece
So far my only best buy i ever had with PC Football games is Maximum-Football and Madden 2004(Just about $5.00 because i got the Madden 2004 sports package for $19.00 years ago)

< Message edited by local8h -- 8/31/2008 7:57:55 PM >

(in reply to quixian)
Post #: 25
RE: OT: BCFX - 9/1/2008 12:27:18 AM   
Mykal

I'm right with ya' Gil
I have many many Football titles all collecting dust also
Like you, the only 2 I give any time too anymore are MaxFootball and Madden 2004
unlike you, I wont be purchasing BCFX
I came to that decission when I first heard of the lack of any season mode
I hate arcade games, I need something with that "long life" added to it before I deem it worthy of any my £'s.

(in reply to local8h)
Post #: 26
RE: OT: BCFX - 9/1/2008 4:06:40 AM   
Marauders

quote:

... graphics is blurry outside the playing area which got me dizzy(meaning its only focus on the field anything outside like stadium,crowds and sideline is very blurry).

The game has depth of field.

I wonder how well it is set uo to use anisotropic filtering rather than trilinear MIP mapping.

Which video card do you have in, and what settings are you using?

(in reply to Mykal)
Post #: 27
RE: OT: BCFX - 9/1/2008 4:11:14 AM   
Marauders

It's too bad Maximum Football doesn't have BCFX's player model animations. 

I know it costs money, but the latter game is inferior many ways otherwise.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 28
RE: OT: BCFX - 9/1/2008 5:37:41 AM   
local8h

I have a GeForce 8500 GT, i dont remember what settings for i played with with different settings so i got tired of it and uninstall the game(BCFX).

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 29
RE: OT: BCFX - 9/1/2008 7:15:08 AM   
therhino

Wow it must be really bad if you uninstalled it. What are you going to do with it now?

(in reply to local8h)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> OT: BCFX Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI