Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Repairing railroads

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Repairing railroads Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Repairing railroads - 6/4/2008 9:58:29 AM   
keyser soze

I am sorry if someone have said this suggestion before, I am not active forum reader but I like the game. It seems to me illogical that player can repair railroads in first game phase because this make effects of bombing useless. You make the bombing, next player repairs railroad before moving his units and then everything again and again. It will be better and more logical that repairing is possible only in next, Production, phase.
Post #: 1
RE: Repairing railroads - 6/4/2008 5:31:50 PM   
rjh1971

Don't forget turn's length is three months so there's enough time to undertake repairs in that period of time. Also repairs are not for free it takes 10 supplies to bring a rail track to full capacity which at the end of a game is can be a big cuantity for the Axis and same applies at the beggining of the game for the Allies.

(in reply to keyser soze)
Post #: 2
RE: Repairing railroads - 6/4/2008 7:05:47 PM   
GKar

What rjh said - and keep in mind that railroads have -5 in the first turn for each step of repairs.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 3
RE: Repairing railroads - 6/6/2008 4:45:53 PM   
templeton

It's the resource cost that cripples Germany... as it was in the real war. Germans were able to fix and rebuild what the Allies bombed, but in the end, it was so costly that it meant other areas suffered... I often struggle to have enough resources towards the end of the war as the Germans, and have to chose between military operations and fixing factories and railroads!

(in reply to GKar)
Post #: 4
RE: Repairing railroads - 6/7/2008 5:37:22 AM   
Torplexed

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you bomb and totally damage an opponent's rail grid in an area during your turn and then follow it up with a ground attack on that same area, during that same turn, you've spared yourself a -2 on all your ground combat dice rolls in that area. I believe that -2 modifier is built in to reflect a defender having the advantage of an intact rail net to move reserves about defensively. Comparable I guess to the Allies needing to pulverize the rail system in northern France to ease the Normandy invasion. So bombing rail does have some short term advantages provided you follow them up since your opponent can't begin repairs until the start of his turn.

< Message edited by Torplexed -- 6/7/2008 6:59:49 AM >

(in reply to keyser soze)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Repairing railroads Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI