Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Operation Overlord and Neptune?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Operation Overlord and Neptune? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Operation Overlord and Neptune? - 10/1/2000 7:51:00 AM   
Jack

I am doing an SA on Operation Neptune and there is something I am not sure about. I am hoping there are some historians out there that can help me. My question is what was the difference between Op Overlord and Op Neptune? Are they not the same Operation?

Post #: 1
- 10/1/2000 9:06:00 AM   
dox44

Neptune was actually the the assault phase of OVERLORD...the Caen-Chebourg area was known as the "Neptune Area"

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 2
- 10/1/2000 9:09:00 AM   
Jack

Neptune was the assault phase. What phase did Overlord encompass? Thand you for your input.

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 3
- 10/1/2000 9:34:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Casbier is quite correct, Neptune included the amphibious assaults on the five beaches. I'm not sure, but I don't think it included the prior airborne drops. Overlord was the name of the entire operations, air, naval, airborne, amphibious assualt, the entire effort by all nations. Have your tried the two invasion scenarios, Omaha and Juno? I'm working hard on Utah, and it is looking very good, with a few surprises. I love surprises. Ask the fellas here on the forum if I like surprises. Ask old Casebier! He's been putting up with my surprises for nearly two weeks now Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 4
- 10/1/2000 10:10:00 AM   
dox44

quote:

Originally posted by Jack: Neptune was the assault phase. What phase did Overlord encompass? Overlord was whole thing...deception, communications, landing, supplies etc etc... i'm not the historian your looking for but a lot of the original concept came from a Lt. Gen. F.E. Morgan...he had been order by ccostaff to not only "draw up a plan of assault, but to prepare for a campaign which would deliver a vital blow at the heart of Germany with a force of 100 divisions" CCoStaff directed him to mount and carry an operation, with forces/equipment established in England to secure a lodgement on the Cont. from which further offensive operations could be launched. had to have port facilities & maintain a force of 26 to 30 divisions..the force was to be augmented by additional equipment/divisions... that was overlord...neptune was just (not putting it down ) the assault phase of overlord...hope this helps... casebier assault Thand you for your input.

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 5
- 10/1/2000 11:55:00 AM   
Jack

Thanks again for the help, you know it is a great forum when people can take time to answer some questions. And yes when my SA's are done I will try the amphibious scenario's. Thanks again guys

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 6
- 10/1/2000 2:44:00 PM   
Colonel Klink

this may be somewhat off-topic but it beats creating a new thread..? anyway, with all the talk about new scenarios..(sealion is one of them) how about a scenario of the airborne invasion of crete?! I loved playing the AH boardgame of the same name and also the PG scenario of the same name. perhaps it may of already been done. I'm not any good at creating scenarios so i'm leaving it to WildBill and his crew of spwaw gamers and design team.

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 7
- 10/1/2000 3:50:00 PM   
Dice4Eyes

quote:

Originally posted by Colonel Klink: this may be somewhat off-topic but it beats creating a new thread..? anyway, with all the talk about new scenarios..(sealion is one of them) how about a scenario of the airborne invasion of crete?! I loved playing the AH boardgame of the same name and also the PG scenario of the same name. perhaps it may of already been done. I'm not any good at creating scenarios so i'm leaving it to WildBill and his crew of spwaw gamers and design team.
There is a Crete scenario(Maleme) and a campaign made for SPWaW 2.3, and i think there was a promise of them being uppgraded to 4.0. They were posted on SP-Arsenal and made by Maurader Mel i think. Wild Bill and Mel can probebly tell you more about them. ------------------ Divide et Impera Daniel E

Divide et Impera Daniel E

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 8
- 10/2/2000 2:24:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Colonel Klink, I will encourage Marauder to update his scenario to work within SPWAW 4.1. Count on it. And look for some more unusual ones in the future. Now that we can devote more time to this aspect of the game, I think you have some treats ahead. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Operation Overlord and Neptune? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI