Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are playing as Japan?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are playing as Japan? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are playing ... - 6/6/2008 3:35:07 PM   
AW1Steve

Any suggestions as to how to rapidly produce supplies? It's my first time playing Japan , I'm shipping all kinds of resources to the Home islands, and have turned just about everything off to conserve supplies. I'm guessing I probably shut down too much , as the resource storage is bulging , but the supplies are just trickling.

I can't include a screen shot , as I've never been able to run the game in windows (advice here would also be appreciated). Thanks in advance for any assistance. There are people who are going to be starving in Japan (not to mention the rest of the Empire!).
Post #: 1
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/6/2008 3:45:13 PM   
Mike Solli

I assume you are talking about supply and not resources.  It's simple spend less than you produce. 

You produce supply two ways, through Heavy Industry and resource centers. 

Resource centers produce supply automatically.  There's nothing you can do to increase production.

Heavy Industry is a different animal.  Make sure there is sufficient oil and resources available.  If there are, supply will be produced as a byproduct.  If not, no supply is produced.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 2
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/6/2008 3:49:09 PM   
AW1Steve

Resources and oil are threatening to overwhelm storage. What settings do you recommend of my indusries (except for some really vital a/c production, virtually everything is turned off).

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/6/2008 3:53:30 PM   
Mike Solli

Hmm, can you give details?  Mod (if any), date, # supply currently on hand, etc...

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 4
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/6/2008 3:54:14 PM   
Mike Solli

How much expansion have you already done?

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 5
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/6/2008 3:58:30 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

How much expansion have you already done?

I'm playing stock, current upgrade. I've slightly expaned two aircraft factories. Everything else is shut down. I have noticed some increases , but they are really slow , and unimpressive. Should I shut the rest of production down for a while?Even when I had everything down , the increases were far from impressive.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 6
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/6/2008 6:22:11 PM   
John 3rd

I would recommend the discussion on Economics that has raged on my Forum--'Forlorn Hopes--The Japanese Respond' starting about page 20.  I nearly collapsed my economy.  I KNEW there were issues, I just didn't understand how serious they were.

Would also recommend loading Tracker to help watch and organize the information.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 7
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/6/2008 6:28:45 PM   
AW1Steve

Thanks. I will do that.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 8
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/6/2008 6:50:15 PM   
rubisco

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
I'm playing stock, current upgrade. I've slightly expaned two aircraft factories. Everything else is shut down. I have noticed some increases , but they are really slow , and unimpressive. Should I shut the rest of production down for a while?Even when I had everything down , the increases were far from impressive.

The stuff you've shut down: armaments, engines, aircraft, naval etc do not use supplies. They consume only Heavy Industry points. The fact that you shut them down will make no difference to your supplies budget. Aside from troops and base enhancements, the only thing that consumes supplies are industry repairs.

This may help:

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/6/2008 7:32:50 PM   
niceguy2005

Since no one has said it out right I'm going to state the obvious.  The fastest way to ramp up supplies is to shut down factories.  I needed to rebuild my supply levels in the HI and I turned off a lot of less important production...probably less than 20% of production and I have been gaining 2K to 3K of supplies per day in Tokyo alone.  I'm sure the other bases are similarly gaining supplies.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to rubisco)
Post #: 10
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/6/2008 7:42:38 PM   
USSAmerica

But, factories don't consume supplies to produce their output, they consume HI points.  Expanding and repairing factories do use supplies, lots of 'em.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 11
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/6/2008 7:44:59 PM   
saj42

You stated that oil and resources in the home islands are 'bulging' and that most factories are turned off.
What is your HvyInd point stockpile?
Now for the obvious question. Your Heavy Industry factories are turned ON aren't they ???
No HI production - no supply generation.

Also have you turned off repairs to the a/c R&D factories? - this will put a small drain on your supplies.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 12
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/6/2008 7:47:36 PM   
niceguy2005

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

But, factories don't consume supplies to produce their output, they consume HI points. Expanding and repairing factories do use supplies, lots of 'em.

Your totally correct. See what a noob I am at Jap production. I meant shut off factory repairs/expansion. This is what I did.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 13
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/6/2008 9:09:18 PM   
tsimmonds

How many HI factories are there in the home islands? 15-20,000? Can't remember. Anyway, that (plus the number of resource centers) is the limit on how much supply you are going to produce every turn.

That is, if you don't expand factories. Which, if you don't, you will likely wish that you had later.

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 14
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/6/2008 9:15:19 PM   
Mike Solli

Hey irrelevant, how much do you usually expand the HI factories?  I rarely expand them by more than 1-200 over the first year or so.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 15
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/7/2008 5:46:15 AM   
Mynok

I don't expand HI much at all until the resources/oil are all captured and repaired. Then I will get them as close to maximum as possible without draining my supply net.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 16
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/8/2008 3:15:13 AM   
AW1Steve

Thanks for the tips guys! I've started expanding (relatively slowly) my HI and have noticed a definate increase. If I can keep the resources and oil matching , I might actually recover (but it's kind of late , 7/1942).

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 17
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/9/2008 12:30:05 AM   
Ken Estes

Ouch! That is tough, but I did worse. One thing, have you grasped the in/out toggling of how you turn on or off economy and factories? It is off-beat for me, but if it reads 'halt' it is ON and if it reads 'restart' it is OFF. If you have let your industry remain off, you do not want to restart it until you have turned all factory demand off, then get it going, note the rise in heavy industry (HI) pool numbers [and supplies and fuel], then add - gradually - the factories you want, watching your HI numbers. Joe Wilkerson guided me well last year through all the hoops in my posting 'My JA Industry Died' in the tech spt forum, most instructive.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 18
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/9/2008 1:36:25 AM   
Mynok

Helps to think of it more as "what will happen if I click here".

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Ken Estes)
Post #: 19
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/9/2008 4:45:32 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

Hey irrelevant, how much do you usually expand the HI factories? I rarely expand them by more than 1-200 over the first year or so.

Depends on what kind of luck you have capturing oil and resources. Doesn't make sense to expand HI if you aren't going to be able to have enough raw materials to feed into them....

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 20
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/9/2008 9:32:22 PM   
ny59giants

I'm a novice with regards to the Japanese economy, but with the aid of WitPTracker, I was able to bring John 3rd's economy from the brink. I'm using this same wondeful utiliity to play Japan for the first time in a PBEM using Nemo's Empire Ablaze. Which, IMO, has so many choices that you can hang yourself with poor decision making in regards to multiple areas of the economy.

Thus, my first rule is to shut down all r&d factories that are over 6 months out to start. There is a discussion on John's AAR about them not using supplies, but I rather be safe than sorry. All repairs take 1000 supply per damaged/disabled factory. So, a A6M2 Zero factory at say Gumma with (50)x 5 will cost 50,000 supply over 50 days to repair. If there are more factories being repaired - other Airframes, Armament, Vehicles, Engines, and HI, then this one base could eat up 2k to 4k per turn ( or more) and the base doesn't have enough generated to pay for it. Thus, it will probably try to get it from Tokyo every third day when the AI moves "stuff" around.

If your going to expand HI, I would look for bases that have less than 30 HI at game start. As a novice, I opened up my game/mod and made a list of each base in Japan that was able to expand HI, naval, merchant, armament, vehicles, how many airframes needed to have repairs (current and r&d), and engines. Then, go through each base and expand what can from existing to max (right them down). That way you have a list/resource of knowing what can be done where as the game progresses. Most of the low HI values are in the north at start.

WitPTracker helps me to track things daily (i.e. - which bases are below the magical 10k to facilitate repairs), the number of days I have in reserve Oil and Resources per region along with other useful things to keep an eye on. I don't think I would jumped into the deep end of the swimming pool (Empire's Ablaze) with only one swimming lesson (John's game) without it.

< Message edited by ny59giants -- 6/9/2008 9:34:49 PM >

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 21
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/11/2008 3:20:57 PM   
Bogo Mil

The picture is great, but it has a small error: Any new industry costs 100 supllies, 10 HI points and 10 manpower points (not one)

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 22
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/12/2008 10:26:41 PM   
haleyjo_68

What is the WitPTracker and where can I get a copy of it?  Also, when I am bringing oil and resources to Japan, does it matter which port it gets dropped off at?

(in reply to Bogo Mil)
Post #: 23
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/12/2008 11:27:33 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: haleyjo_68

What is the WitPTracker and where can I get a copy of it?  Also, when I am bringing oil and resources to Japan, does it matter which port it gets dropped off at?

Check here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1774229

It doesn't matter where you drop off oil or resources but keep an eye at Sasebo and Osaka. Sometimes they may not move and if you exceed the max (999,999), the rest get offloaded into the ether.

(in reply to haleyjo_68)
Post #: 24
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/30/2008 12:24:38 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: haleyjo_68

Check here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1774229

It doesn't matter where you drop off oil or resources but keep an eye at Sasebo and Osaka. Sometimes they may not move and if you exceed the max (999,999), the rest get offloaded into the ether.

Thanks again! I'll figure this out sooner or later! Thanks to you it'll be sooner!

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 25
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/30/2008 1:22:21 PM   
Feltan

Question of definitions.

Does "expanding a factory" include changing production of engine or aircraft type? When I have done so, the results that are shown are very similar to when one expands engine or aircraft production -- a certain number of factories are shown damaged.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 26
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/30/2008 1:37:38 PM   
Bogo Mil

If you convert from one type to another, usually all factories become damaged. Sometimes 1/3 of them disappear completely and the remaining 2/3 are damaged. The conversion itself is for free, but of course you have to pay 1000 supplies for every factory to repair.

If you expand a factory complex, it's size is doubled, but all new factories are damaged, too. The expansion itself is not for free: It costs 100 supplies, 10 manpower points and 10 HI points for each new factory in addition to the 1000 supplies you'll need to repair them.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Benjamin Franklin)

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 27
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/30/2008 8:12:59 PM   
Feltan

Thanks.

That explains some things. All that free advice to swith to Nakajima engines en masse actually costs a ton!

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Bogo Mil)
Post #: 28
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/30/2008 8:32:39 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feltan

Thanks.

That explains some things. All that free advice to swith to Nakajima engines en masse actually costs a ton!

Regards,
Feltan

You need more Naka engines, but there is one way to ramp it up more gradually; produce more SALLYS. Helen uses the Naka engine, Sally uses Mitsu. There is very little actual difference between them, so converting all to Helens will burn through your Naka engines much faster without much gain.

There is good advice here, but I think you really should do only a couple things as Japan to "ramp up your supplies". Building more HI plants is not a great idea, it makes it worse in the short-term, and long-term you don't need all the HI points, and you can't feed enough Oil/resources anyway while still stockpiling for '45. In general:

1. TURN OFF BASE BUILDS: This is the best. Turn off all base building, fort building early unless you really need it.
2. LIMIT FACTORY EXPANSION: Don't do alot of factory upgrades early. Make more Naka engines, and start thinking about Tony/Tojo, but you can put that off until 2/42. Be conservative here initially.
2. REPAIR RESOURCES FIRST: I like this, repair captured resources first. At Palembang, for example, once the Resources are repaired, that base can "self-supply" enough to fix the Oil, and generate more supplies.

That's about it other than making sure your HI is "fed". But the key really is to use less, and usually where you burn too much is in industrial expansion and unnecessary base builds.

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 29
RE: How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are play... - 6/30/2008 9:05:45 PM   
Mynok

Yes, repairing resources first is excellent policy.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> How do you rapidly ramp up supplies if you are playing as Japan? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI