Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Minor Facelift

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Minor Facelift Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Minor Facelift - 6/1/2008 9:02:41 PM   
ralphtricky

I'm still working on the patch after the upcoming one. I've got some updates on the progress. Please post here or there about what you think.

The most recent additon that I'm playing with is tooltips, to bring us into the 21st century. I know that some people will hate them, and they'll be strictly optional, but I am getting attached to them. They're strictly eye-candy. I'm not sure how configurable to make them, so feel free to post ideas.

There's a lot more planned for 3.4, and it's going to take a while to finish everything that we want to do, not to mention the testing required.

http://www.operationalwarfare.com/

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
Post #: 1
RE: Minor Facelift - 6/2/2008 7:47:36 AM   
ralphtricky

I've also got the fonts out of the DLLs, and into the graphics directory and....

Support for .ani animated cursors!!! I'm not sure why, but I saw it was still in the DLL.<g>

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 2
RE: Minor Facelift - 6/2/2008 9:30:09 AM   
Boonierat

I like the tooltip, sometimes hex infos at the bottom of the screen are truncated when there's too much of them, like hex entrenchment %. They should have a setable delay before poping though, otherwise they would be a nightmare, and should fade after a while.

Post #: 3
RE: Minor Facelift - 6/2/2008 4:35:11 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boonierat
I like the tooltip, sometimes hex infos at the bottom of the screen are truncated when there's too much of them, like hex entrenchment %. They should have a setable delay before poping though, otherwise they would be a nightmare, and should fade after a while.

The top line has the AT, Inf and AP values for the terrain. Last night, I also added the Fortification value. The second and third line match what's at the bottom of the screen. I got tired of looking everythingup in the manual and wanted players to be more aware of the terrain values, especially beginners. The experience is that they tootip pops about 0.1 seconds after you stop moving, and goes away about 2 seconds after you stop. You can change the length it's on the screen, but not the pop time. I may see if I can make that configurable now. I was having problems with it earleir. I may also take another shot at animating it, I had problems earlier and I haven't tried since rewriting that section of code.

Thanks for the feedback,
Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 4
RE: Minor Facelift - 6/2/2008 11:00:36 PM   
Grell

Hi Ralph,

Tooltips would be great.

Regards,

Greg

Post #: 5
RE: Minor Facelift - 6/3/2008 1:11:34 AM   
damezzi

That is a great idea!! As a beginner I can say it would help A LOT!

Another great help (don't know if it would be possible), would be to have a windows inside the plan attack one listing all the modifiers involved, so that players could see what is changing the odds. Trying to figure out why did you lose a battle when you seemed to have a considerable advantage can be painful for a beginner.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 6
RE: Minor Facelift - 6/3/2008 7:15:52 AM   
L`zard

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boonierat

The top line has the AT, Inf and AP values for the terrain. Last night, I also added the Fortification value. The second and third line match what's at the bottom of the screen. I got tired of looking everythingup in the manual and wanted players to be more aware of the terrain values, especially beginners. The experience is that they tootip pops about 0.1 seconds after you stop moving, and goes away about 2 seconds after you stop. You can change the length it's on the screen, but not the pop time. I may see if I can make that configurable now. I was having problems with it earleir. I may also take another shot at animating it, I had problems earlier and I haven't tried since rewriting that section of code.

Thanks for the feedback,
Ralph

Quite Elegant! Very nice, Ralph!!

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

Post #: 7
RE: Minor Facelift - 6/5/2008 5:37:20 AM   
Blacklight

I would say definitely make the wait time before the tool tip comes up configurable.  I love the idea of tool tips !

(in reply to L`zard)
Post #: 8
RE: Minor Facelift - 6/7/2008 6:07:04 AM   
L`zard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blacklight

I would say definitely make the wait time before the tool tip comes up configurable.  I love the idea of tool tips !

And I really like the 'optional'........

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't...Optional makes everyone happy!

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

(in reply to Blacklight)
Post #: 9
RE: Minor Facelift - 6/8/2008 8:53:00 AM   
cesteman

I am also starting to like the look of the tool tip option. Only time will tell if I'll really like it. Can't wait to see the next update. Cheers.

(in reply to L`zard)
Post #: 10
RE: Minor Facelift - 6/10/2008 12:46:05 AM   
viridomaros

some french players i know who just began playing the game would appreciate that kind of tools. I'm all for it, i just hope there will be some other major changes that are more than eye candy

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Minor Facelift Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI